• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DigitalFoundry: X1 memory performance improved for production console/ESRAM 192 GB/s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayMaker

Banned
This is good news that the esram is faster more bandwidth = better visuals.

As for PS4 vs X1 visuals, people just need to wait until the holidays, where there will be comparisons galore.

Anything that requires an update every frame cannot effectively use cloud because the latency between console and the Internet is much, much greater than any latency among the hardware components of the console.

Exactly my point, which makes the cloud a pie in the sky.

Even the A.I won't be processed by the Cloud in real time in Forza 5.

great news. for those that think otherwise....

tumblr_lmhw32J6Ro1ql8f37o1_500.jpg

calder

Superman 3.

I'm ashamed to say I was frightened watching that scene when I was little.

As a 10 year old in the theatre, that scene was pretty much the exact point I started thinking Superman was kind of lame. At the time i was a total Supes/Batman fan, but a year or two later I was an X-Men/Spider-Man fan and didn't read any DC comics anymore lol.

Not just the mainframe robot shit, but a few scenes in Superman 3 really killed me as a kid. Superman *blowing* oil back into a leaking supertanker had little me fuming "superman can't do that!" to myself. By the time the actually somehow WORSE Superman IV came out I was like an elementary school comic book hipster - I had been hating the Superman movies for yeeaars already. ;)

Vestal

Gold Member

at the same time you can't simply dismiss the benefits that this offers to developers and in turn to us the consumer. As evident by the inclusion of cloud computations in forza 5. While they are not real time they offer a glimpse at what the cloud can be used for.

you could possibly apply the same approach turn 10 is doing to various games giving a more real feel to how AI behaves.

Majanew

Banned
As a 10 year old in the theatre, that scene was pretty much the exact point I started thinking Superman was kind of lame. At the time i was a total Supes/Batman fan, but a year or two later I was an X-Men/Spider-Man fan and didn't read any DC comics anymore lol.

Not just the mainframe robot shit, but a few scenes in Superman 3 really killed me as a kid. Superman *blowing* oil back into a leaking supertanker had little me fuming "superman can't do that!" to myself. By the time the actually somehow WORSE Superman IV came out I was like an elementary school comic book hipster - I had been hating the Superman movies for yeeaars already. ;)

The new Superman, Man of Steel, is the biggest offender. What a piece of shit movie it turned out to be. Especially that bullshit, slap in the face, ending. Fuck you, all involved in that abortion.

Vestal

Gold Member
The new Superman, Man of Steel, is the biggest offender. What a piece of shit movie it turned out to be. Especially that bullshit, slap in the face, ending. Fuck you, all involved in that abortion.

I'll watch it eventually. However I feel dirty watching a superman movie without the John Williams score

Eusis

Really though? If you want to play this card I seem to recall being informed by the internet legions that developers love a challenge and that they definitely couldn't wait to get their teeth sunk into the super-powerful Cell. 360 was just encouraging bad development practice with its straightforward architecture. Fast forward eight years and PS4 is the best thing ever because of how straightforward it all is.

One argument was true 8 years ago and still is today,
The other was bs 8 years ago and still is today...
And it's older than that really. It was apparently a strategy they wanted to use with the N64, to make it hard to develop for so only really good games would show up on the system and the crap gets filtered out. Instead everyone went to the PS1 and the N64 still got a bunch of shitty games. Just like we saw with the PS3, though this time the desire for multiplatforms probably means the XB1 won't be shafted in game selection period nevermind the XB1's probably easier to develop for and will scale better, though it could still develop the stigma of having inferior versions or scaring some smaller developers off to PS4, doubly so if it starts to rise in Japan and most games from there do way better on PS4 anyway.

coldone

http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=120007VYXYCO

"Site work is expected to start this summer, with construction beginning later this year and running until the end of 2015."

1) Microsoft only has 4 data centers now.
2) $700M cloud is coming only in 2015
3) It is shared with 200+ other services. It not just for Xbox
4) Today Microsoft charges developers/customers, ~$133 per day for a single VM. Cloud is not free
5) Ubisoft, EA all already have data center leases with other cloud vendors based on Openstack.

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/calculator/?scenario=virtual-machines

at the same time you can't simply dismiss the benefits that this offers to developers and in turn to us the consumer. As evident by the inclusion of cloud computations in forza 5. While they are not real time they offer a glimpse at what the cloud can be used for.

you could possibly apply the same approach turn 10 is doing to various games giving a more real feel to how AI behaves.

Vestal

Gold Member
http://www.cio-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=120007VYXYCO

"Site work is expected to start this summer, with construction beginning later this year and running until the end of 2015."

1) Microsoft only has 4 data centers now.
2) $700M cloud is coming only in 2015
3) It is shared with 200+ other services. It not just for Xbox
4) Today Microsoft charges $133 per day for a VM to developers. Cloud is not free
5) Ubisoft, EA all already have data center leases with other cloud vendors based on Openstack.
not going to go over all that cause I'm on the phone.

but were the hell are you getting 133 dollars a day figure?? Thin air again?

Truespeed

DX11.2 adds a couple of cool features, but they aren't things that weren't being done on systems last gen. megatextures as a function of the API, for example. nothing new, just more standardized and easier to program for.

It doesn't add anything to the hardware's capabilities as I know you know, and it doesn't make anything possible on Xbox One that isn't possible on PS4, but it does make a few things easier for devs when compared to earlier versions of DX.

Sony's APIs and tool chains may already offer the same kind of benefits, naturally.

Didn't AMD say DirectX way holding back performance? And isn't the use of DirectX on XBONE a requirement? With the PS4 you can either use/extend LibGCM, OpenGL ES or even roll your own graphics API if you want to hit the metal directly. Having options is good.

In theory sure. But then again that really only works in competitive games. A story driven game will never benefit from it.

So essentially, you're talking about playing against bots in offline mode. Could be cool for training purposes, for those who want to improve their skills against bots before heading online. It's far from a game changer, or something that is going to alter design in offline games. And since in online games, people mostly will spend their time competing against other real users, it really just becomes this sort of cool side feature.

Truespeed

Has anyone seen an XBONE spec sheet? The PS4 one has been available at Link since June 11. I can't find the official XBONE spec sheet anywhere. Have they even published it?

Diablos

Soooo basically it's still lagging behind PS4, even if less so. The bandwidth boost is impressive but we're talking about 32MB here, it still has to work with near obsolete DDR3.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Soooo basically it's still lagging behind PS4, even if less so. The bandwidth boost is impressive but we're talking about 32MB here, it still has to work with near obsolete DDR3.

More like, this article really says nothing of value and changes nothing due to inaccuracies in stated values, some seriously convoluted method of measurement or an apparent down clock.

Of which we can't tell for sure based on the information provided in the shitty article.

Forza 5 would most probably be a few data packets downloaded from the server to the ram for stored A.I algorythms. So, a real guy sets a top time on a track etc, server stores data in the cloud and your a.i in the game uses it. Wont ever be real time given latency.

emacs

I wouldn't go so far but, yes, anything that requires updates for every frame cannot effectively use cloud. However, there are non real-time scenarios where cloud can be leveraged.

One example is a traditional RPG scenario where the player approaches a town or village that's home for hundreds of NPCs. If the game detects the player is within a certain distance of the settlement, the game can query the cloud infrastructure to (pre)compute AI behaviours of all villagers. These villagers may have interacted with other players, so their behaviours may be different. When all that pre-computation is done, the data is downloaded onto the console's HD where it can be accessed locally.

More specifically, suppose if player X spreads rumors to some villagers about player Y. That would / may affect how the townsfolk behave toward player Y. This information is uploaded to the cloud. Later on, as player Y approaches the settlement, the modified NPC AI would be downloaded and the game will make use of the data as normal. In other words, player X has indirectly affected the single-player experience for player Y. If I were to design an RPG, I would make use of cloud in such a fashion. It would enrich the game experience by adding a 'human touch' to NPC interactions which would otherwise be based on fixed patterns.

coldone

To host one game server:

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-US/pricing/calculator/?scenario=full

1) VM
2) SQL Server
3) Web Instance (So that people can login and see what their stats are)
4) Storage Geo redudant. So that you can see the data base in multiple domains
5) Back up: 10GB
6) SQL DB: 5GB/2DB
7) 720 hours of virtual network
8) Authentication

Tell me the monthly cost is not above $5K ??

it still doesn't add up to the number you put up.

not to mention that devs are getting special pricing for xbone

Devs get far better pricing form Amazon http://aws.amazon.com/game-hosting/

Ubisoft is using OpenStack vendor cloudscaling.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Let's save the cloud BS for another thread please...

Plaguefox

This is a bannable right? First he goes on claiming something and when asked for sources suggest people to google themselves .. Not just that he's been constantly shitting this thread up every few pages.
I don't know if it's banworthy, but from my experience here the burden of proof is on the person who makes the claim, not the person who replies with skepticism. So oldergamer should probably back up his claims.

(did he and I missed it? I am phone skimming.)

I wouldn't go so far but, yes, anything that requires updates for every frame cannot effectively use cloud. However, there are non real-time scenarios where cloud can be leveraged.

One example is a traditional RPG scenario where the player approaches a town or village that's home for hundreds of NPCs. If the game detects the player is within a certain distance of the settlement, the game can query the cloud infrastructure to (pre)compute AI behaviours of all villagers. These villagers may have interacted with other players, so their behaviours may be different. When all that pre-computation is done, the data is downloaded onto the console's HD where it can be accessed locally.

More specifically, suppose if player X spreads rumors to some villagers about player Y. That would / may affect how the townsfolk behave toward player Y. This information is uploaded to the cloud. Later on, as player Y approaches the settlement, the modified NPC AI would be downloaded and the game will make use of the data as normal. In other words, player X has indirectly affected the single-player experience for player Y. If I were to design an RPG, I would make use of cloud in such a fashion. It would enrich the game experience by adding a 'human touch' to NPC interactions which would otherwise be based on fixed patterns.

That's just uploading info, it's not saving any sort of CPU cycles right? It's just storing data of what one player did while he was playing.
Cloud processing power could be employed in off screen npc's, which could allow for some cool ripple effects.

As far as your idea though, it's not feasible unless it's a MMO. Why would I want my first visit into a town to be tainted by what somebody else did there first? That's ridiculous. Unless it's a persistent online world, or a game like Watch Dogs where there is player to player interaction but at the end of the day it is your story. Which means I don't run the risk of having my game experience degraded by the choices of others.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
look them up, like i said tons of information on google. it's a simple browser search. You know like when you create a thread somebody already created on gaf, what do they tell you? do a search first.
Oh God

You've got 24 hours to post your online references, or else the hammer is dropping with the fury of 1 million angry, maple syrup-deprived beavers.

GO GO GO

coldfoot

Banned
If that's really the case, why don't PC systems use GDDR instead of DDR as their main memory?
GDDR5 is more expensive, and CPU's do not need the bandwidth GDDR5 provides.

Because he doesn't realize there are no low latency GDDR5 memory controllers on the market.
1. You do not shop for a memory controller. They're integrated into CPU's, GPU's.
2. There are no low latency AMD APU controllers on the market. AMD Llano memory controller latency with DDR3 is higher than Nvidia GPU memory controller with GDDR5.

coldone

If cloud is not FREE, then there is no cloud advantage for Xbox one over PC or WiiU.

Then it comes to who is cheaper. Azure or Amazon or OpenStack Vendors like cloud scaling.

- Ubisoft using Cloud scaling
- Sony uses Rack space
- Xbox gaming division uses Azure
- Amazon has the most traction with lot of MMOs

Publishers pay money to cloud vendors/data centers, they use whom ever is cheaper.

Even if MS wants to sign-up more customers, their $700M(300,000 server) Azure Cloud wont be ready till 2015.

I believe it was respawn who said this. Its in one of the threads here in regards to titanfall.

on my phone but it was posted earlier in the thread earlier.

Is there any particular reason that Microsoft hasn't released a spec sheet yet? I saw a post earlier that claimed it would be shown in August but...why exactly wait? Is it ONLY to protect against comparison charts or...just curious.

Is there any particular reason that Microsoft hasn't released a spec sheet yet? I saw a post earlier that claimed it would be shown in August but...why exactly wait? Is it ONLY to protect against comparison charts or...just curious.

same reason Nintendo hasn't, and I wouldn't expect one after all the specs don't matter bs

Vestal

Gold Member
If cloud is not FREE, then there is no cloud advantage for Xbox one over PC or WiiU.

Then it comes to who is cheaper. Azure or Amazon or OpenStack Vendors like cloud scaling.

- Ubisoft using Cloud scaling
- Sony uses Rack space
- Xbox gaming division uses Azure
- Amazon has the most traction with lot of MMOs

Publishers pay money to cloud vendors/data centers, they use whom ever is cheaper.

Even if MS wants to sign-up more customers, their $700M(300,000 server) Azure Cloud wont be ready till 2015.
are you arguing that devs have no benefits developing games for xboxone using cloud/ded servers compared to doing it for other consoles. Huh???

respawn is already using azure for Titanfall.

Vestal

Gold Member
same reason Nintendo hasn't, and I wouldn't expect one after all the specs don't matter bs

we don't really have a spec sheet for the ps4 do we?? I mean all the numbers have been drawn from the information they provided combined with what we assume or know about the and silicone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom