• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Double Fine Adventure ("Broken Age") Development Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know, I've kickstarted like 8 things. And outside of the Shadowrun Alpha video, I don't think I've watched or checked ANY of the updates.

On one hand, I want everything to be a surprise when it's out, but on the other, I'm worried I'll miss an update saying 'hey! here's your game it's done!'

i finally got around to watching the 8th documentary video and was already craving the game. then that? goddamn i want to play this game.

regarding the art style, i like it a lot. i feel like it makes what psychonauts (which i loved) concept art (which i have never seen) and pushes it even further.

edit: while watching the video, when mention brutal legend PC with respect to finances, i realized that there was more i could do if they were having money problems, so i paused the video, loaded up steam, and bought more of their games (some of which are on sale).

just watched the most recent episode. i am pretty excited about this game.

in other news, i also just finished the cave
time traveler, monk, adventurer
and i didnt love it. it was cool to be able to put names to faces as i watched the credits though.

Haunted

So apparently I'm the only one who's not really digging the name. I know Broken Age was one of the three finalists, but I honestly thought it was the weakest. :(

If it's just among those, Small Offerings and Young Monsters both sound better to me.

Shaneus

I think Broken Age is the best of those three... the others are all seem a little overly edgy and are kind of jarring IMO. Young Monsters kind of conjures up an image of something different to the game (almost like it could be a sequel to Costume Quest) and a game called Small Offerings might offer the notion that the game itself might not be that big. I guess.

And was I the only one who got a little teary at the end of the latest one? God damn if I wasn't so freaking happy when
Tim was watching the trailer playing from the side of the stage
. Plus, that music is incredibly poignant yet perfectly suitable for the vibe I get from the game.

Was also surprised that when
Marius
sent back his concept for the GDC trailer, it was
basically identical
to the finished one we saw a month or so ago.

So apparently I'm the only one who's not really digging the name. I know Broken Age was one of the three finalists, but I honestly thought it was the weakest. :(

If it's just among those, Small Offerings and Young Monsters both sound better to me.

i dont love the name either for what its worth. certainly isnt as strong a name as grim fandango.

edit:

And was I the only one who got a little teary at the end of the latest one? God damn if I wasn't so freaking happy when
. Plus, that music is incredibly poignant yet perfectly suitable for the vibe I get from the game.

i loved this scene also. i dont know GDC very well, so i dont know if its exceptional, but i love the idea of a point and click getting a debut on stage. i get the impression certain segments of the dev community are watching this game very closely since it basically led the kickstarter spring. it probably adds some pressure, but also some support and exposure. in any event, i am happy to be a part of the kickstarter.

Cartman86

Banned
I think Broken Age is the best of those three... the others are all seem a little overly edgy and are kind of jarring IMO. Young Monsters kind of conjures up an image of something different to the game (almost like it could be a sequel to Costume Quest) and a game called Small Offerings might offer the notion that the game itself might not be that big. I guess.

Was also surprised that when
Marius
sent back his concept for the GDC trailer, it was
basically identical
to the finished one we saw a month or so ago.

Seen that moment twice and teared up both times.

Shaneus

Damn straight.

Do we know if they showed the "and 90,000 of their closest friends" slide at the end of the trailer? I'm not sure if 2PP edited that out or it just wasn't in the trailer at GDC.

adixon

I was at the awards... They definitely showed that text at the end. It was really emotional with the charged silence, that message, and all the people cheering. This is going to sound over the top, but it felt like a great moment in the history of games... or, more generally... creative endeavors. haha.

Randdalf

New episode is out, game is to be released as two instalments now, the first of which will come to Steam Early Access.

Thores

If this is what it takes to get a new adventure game from Tim that is both high quality and full of content, I am okay with it. I'll wait for the full version if my level of self restraint makes it possible, but I'm hoping the plan works out financially.

Also watching the new documentary episode makes me realize we're gonna get at least another year worth of episodes now. I think I might almost be more excited about that than the game.

Celine

If this is what it takes to get a new adventure game from Tim that is both high quality and full of content, I am okay with it.
Pretty much my stance.

I pledged because I wanted a new quality adventure game from Tim, so I'm fine if I get at the end a great game (just hope the full project is released in 2014).

New episode is out, game is to be released as two instalments now, the first of which will come to Steam Early Access.

What?!

I respect Tim a lot, but he just can't keep to a schedule and manage scope properly. I'm thankful that I'm getting more game for my buck, but I can see why this will irritate some people. If Wasteland releases before the full version of Broken Age, I think it could potentially harm Doublefine's reputation of delivering games through kickstarter.

jett

D-Member

WELL.

Development of this game turned out to be quite clusterfucky, I guess DF is putting a lot on the line for this game. I don't get how Steam Early Access will help them finish the second half in just a couple of months after the first act's release, but whatever. I already paid for this game, I'll play it when it's done. I don't really mind the delays so much, I just hope the Tim's vision wasn't too compromised and the cuts weren't too deep. And the best of luck to them from a financial standpoint.

The second "half" isn't actually half the game (I know that isn't obvious). The first part will be the majority of the story—probably closer to what acts I and II would be in a typical story. Also, the second part will benefit from all the engine/process/etc. work that already got solved to make the first part of the game, and that part of the game will have already begun development before anything is released, so it won't need nearly as much time to finish up as the first part will have.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
I mostly paid for the documentary anyway, so this is acutally good for me.
But man, what kind of project management is this? I get that the episodes show what happened weeks or even months before, but the kickstarter ended march 2012. So it took them a year to realise just how big the project even is? What a weird industry.

jett

D-Member
The second "half" isn't actually half the game (I know that isn't obvious). The first part will be the majority of the story—probably closer to what acts I and II would be in a typical story. Also, the second part will benefit from all the engine/process/etc. work that already got solved to make the first part of the game, and that part of the game will have already begun development before anything is released, so it won't need nearly as much time to finish up as the first part will have.

Thanks for the clarification. Probably better to wait for the whole package then, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to. :p

DieH@rd

Banned
I have nothing against this [and documentaries are great], as long as the full game comes out, and DF dont ask me to pay more.

I also fully expected that Tim will create much larger game than was feasible to produce with 3 million bucks.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Yeahh........so Double Fine were the last guys i'd expect to fuck people over but here we are. Funny world.
Well, people get the full game pretty late, but nothing else changes, really. How are they fucking people over?

Acosta

I don't mind the delay, if that's what it takes to get a big Tim Schafer adventure, I can wait, no problem. What worries me, a lot, is that DF relies o something like Early Access for money. Are they really going to get a meaningful income with that?

There is zero chance I will play nothing but the complete game, but even if i wasn't a backer I wouldn't be interested in something lime that for an adventure.

Tan

I have nothing against this [and documentaries are great], as long as the full game comes out, and DF dont ask me to pay more.

I also fully expected that Tim will create much larger game than was feasible to produce with 3 million bucks.

Yup. I took a risk and I'll be glad to see it out and good. It could have been way worse.
Knock on wood

Documentary's been totally worth it either way.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I don't see how they're doing that at all?

Mismanaged funds and scale. Splitting the release up. Seeking more funding. Delaying the complete product. Short of canceling it i'd say they fucked up hard.

Not really mad about it, just didnt expect it.

FACE

Banned
Well, I hope Massive Chalice's development is a lot smoother than this because I actually backed that one.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I hope Massive Chalice's development is a lot smoother than this because I actually backed that one.
I wonder what that'll look like in the end. though. One million is apparently very little money for a game studio like DF.

Of course they hold the bad news until after they got their 2nd project funded.
That's actually pretty devious.

Nikodemos

I'm pretty certain Broken Age's Kickstarter tribulations were a good learning experience for Double Fine (and not only them) w.r.t. conservatively budgeting for rewards, stretch goal viability, etc. Massive Chalice's Kickstarter was a noticeably more subdued affair.

Shiggy

As long as I get the final game (or two episodes) DRM-free, I don't mind them taking a bit longer. This and BS5 are the only projects I backed and I think it will stay like that for a while. Revolution Software seems to have some much better project management though, would back one of their titles again. Not sure about DF, but more because I didn't like their most recent prototypes.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Mismanaged funds and scale. Splitting the release up. Seeking more funding. Delaying the complete product. Short of canceling it i'd say they fucked up hard.

I really don't see that as 'fucking us over'. If anything, Tim fucked himself over by making the scale too big at first, but the end of that situation is actually great for us.

Raxus

Mismanaged how? They allowed more people to pledge and it was already an ambitious project. If this turns out well then hopefully it will teach DF and other developers how to take advantage of kickstarter. I am getting my full game AND a documentary to boot. I am happy.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Spin is strong in here. As a backer with no allegiance to anyone, this news is nothing but negative, but hey whatever helps you all sleep at night.

And this Steam Early Access shit is starting to aggravate me too with some games. Its like....paying to beta test or something.

Omikaru

Tim is a big dreamer. That we're not getting a compromised vision, even if it means the game is split in two, is good news to me.

I know there's a degree of spin in this, but I don't think we've been fucked over. It's not like they're going to sell us part 2 later; we're just getting a bit later as part of the original package.

Personally, I think I'm gonna hold off until the second part. From what little footage I saw of the game in this episode, I just know I'll want to experience it in one go.

Myomoto

Isn't this going to end up as a shitty deal for Double Fine? I feel like if they keep pumping more and more of their money into this game, and I'd expect the majority of the audience has already paid for it by backing the kickstarter (some at a significantly higher price than what they'd be able to actually buy the game for), so who's going to recoup their investment?

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Mismanaged how? They allowed more people to pledge and it was already an ambitious project. If this turns out well then hopefully it will teach DF and other developers how to take advantage of kickstarter. I am getting my full game AND a documentary to boot. I am happy.
They missed their scale, time and budget target. I think you can call that mismanaged.

Omikaru

Isn't this going to end up as a shitty deal for Double Fine? I feel like if they keep pumping more and more of their money into this game, and I'd expect the majority of the audience has already paid for it by backing the kickstarter (some at a significantly higher price than what they'd be able to actually buy the game for), so who's going to recoup their investment?

A lot of people were (and still are) very skeptical of Kickstarter; they don't want to pay for something that hasn't even been made yet, and said they would wait for the finished product. The game looks fucking amazing from the latest documentary, and I think a number of people will be picking this up when the first part comes out.

As for the delay, what Gabe Newell says sticks out for me: "A delayed game can always come out, but a bad game will suck forever."

I'd rather they not cut the game and have it suck. I want to see the full extent of Tim's vision for this, even if it means the game has been delayed and chopped in two and pre-released and whatever. Any bad sentiment will dissolve instantly if the game turns out good.

jett

D-Member
Spin is strong in here. As a backer with no allegiance to anyone, this news is nothing but negative, but hey whatever helps you all sleep at night.

And this Steam Early Access shit is starting to aggravate me too with some games. Its like....paying to beta test or something.

So what if someone people pay for it on Steam Early Access? It doesn't affect you at all. We as backers are entitled to the full game already, DF is not asking one more dime of us. Yes these are obviously not good news, but that doesn't mean we are getting fucked over. If anything we always had the better deal of the situation since we only only paid $15 before the scope of the game grew tremendously. You're literally the only one in the thread with the feeling of getting screwed. It's fine to be annoyed at the delay(although no release date was ever set in stone), but act like DF is ripping you off? I don't see how. Anyway, for me, the doc episodes more than justified what I paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom