• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Fuchsdh

Oh wow, that doesn't sound good. I guess your right about Stan Lee though.
Well, to be fair to everyone doing to the convention circuit, having meaningful interactions with every fan who stopped by would kill you. Not saying lots of people aren't jerks, but they can also just be tired of signing five thousand pieces of whatever. Or maybe they just really have to pee when you meet them.

A convention or expo floor is not the location for reasonable social interaction.

So would you guys recommend any of these 5 euro($5?) games on xbl?
Bulletstorm.

A convention or expo floor is not the location for reasonable social interaction.
Very true. The final straw for me was Todd literally screaming at the guy who was responsible for bringing the Spawn funny car to the convention. The guy was late because Houston traffic is a fucking nightmare, but Todd did his best to humiliate the guy in front of a bunch of young adults.

Oh man shooting and aiming in reach feels so weird even though I played this a lot, need ot pace my shots a bit better after being taught not to in halo 4.

Fuchsdh

Oh man shooting and aiming in reach feels so weird even though I played this a lot, need ot pace my shots a bit better after being taught not to in halo 4.

Yeah I can go back and forth in all the Halo games and only two things really throw me; Reach's movement and pacing and the arc of grenades in ODST. Can never chuck those things accurately.

willow ve

So I just watched Man of Steel and World War Z back to back. And I must say that, surprisingly, Z was a better movie altogether... and had less completely illogical moments. Yeah, I know, it surprised me too.

Mix

The game setup was fine and really fun with those GAEM sets. I've had some fun convos with the crew. Asked about legendary slayer and Jess just kinda smiled at me. Maybe at panel?

Havok

Feedback is an area the series has gotten progressively better at from 3 to Reach to 4 (CEA introduced some issues with shields and invisible Elites in the remastered version.)

I'd agree on the 3 to Reach part. 4 is pretty similar to Reach with respect to feedback, and in some ways it's not as good; Halo 4 has stuff like the boltshot charging behaviour from first-person which is hugely inferior to any of the weapon-use response in Reach. I guess you could argue that Reach's heavy bloom makes things "feel" less responsive depending on how you play, but if it's taken in and of itself, I think Reach's visual feedback design is the best of the 360 Halos.

CEA is far inferior to CE in terms of feedback and responsiveness. The audio design is just plain muddy and overwrought compared with the original, and lots of Bungie's brilliant visual cues are wrecked. Elite shields and camo are some of the larger issues, but you also have things like the much smaller pistol impact response sprite (which Halo 3 could learn from as well, as having a feel for weapon characteristics is crucial for games with projectile weapons). And then there's the raw input lag, which at least feels to me to be increased in Anniversary Mode compared with Classic Mode and the original game (though I admittedly haven't seen this actually measured anywhere, and it might just be a false perception due to other factors).

Heck, even Classic Mode has some feedback issues compared with the original game, like smearing your eyes with green goo whenever you get hit by needlers and sentinal beams.
I think the way I'd put it is that Halo 4 has more feedback but not better feedback, especially not compared to Reach which was a master class in elegant player feedback. It takes cues that were previously audiovisual and instead makes noisy HUD elements out of them. Shield feedback isn't nearly as obvious and informative like Reach's variable brightness bubbling (which I think is due in large part to a problem in visual contrast with Halo 4 that arises from its kind of washed-out look), but there are hit markers to replace it. Grenades aren't as audible when they bounce up near you, and (personally) I have a harder time determining direction and point of impact when I do hear it, but there are grenade indicators now that do that work for you.

I actually think it's making me a worse player for it, too. When a player was hit with a grenade in Reach, you'd get a distinctive grunt so you know you got a hit. With hit markers, why would I pay that close attention? I can just count hit markers instead of determining the player's health by shield feedback. I don't know, I kind of feel like it's just a more shallow experience in a lot of ways because of the in-your-face nature of a lot of the feedback changes.

(I should mention one of the things they did right, though - the Battle Rifle's burst SFX increasing in pitch (tone? whatever) as you empty more of the magazine is a really smart thing to pull from modern military shooters that have had it for a while, since it gives really useful information and lets the player use their HUD less)

Reach has an awesome team play feeling to it compared to halo 4, it's important in every halo but reach just has something unique when it comes to working as a team, it could be that you benefit greatly shooting as a pair due to the shot spread.

Gui_PT

Why no bulletstorm?

Played a little bit... Going to get some hate from this but I found the game severely annoying in terms of dialogue and characters. Now I know what they were going for, but there's a way to do that and not be annoying.

No fun allowed, I know

Dragon age is actually good but never choose a mage. damn you firendly fire.

GoW J is still expensive.

Also, what's the opinion on Dragon Age?

Played a little bit... Going to get some hate from this but I found the game severely annoying in terms of dialogue and characters. Now I know what they were going for, but there's a way to do that and not be annoying.

No fun allowed, I know

I can understand that, I personally found it fun in the same way I find something like Duke Nukem or Gears fun. Its over the top stupidness

Also, what's the opinion on Dragon Age?

Is a pure building your character RPG

If you liked Baldurs gate you will love this game, it shares the same slow and clunky gameplay and it takes note about your decisions and really impacts the world and future skills for your character, it can also affects your companions feelings about you.

you can be a real asshole in the game and people will love you anyway.

Gui_PT

I can understand that, I personally found it fun in the same way I find something like Duke Nukem or Gears fun. Its over the top stupidness

Oh definitely. Just wasn't my kind of thing.

Is a pure building your character RPG

If you liked Baldurs gate you will love this game, it shares the same slow and clunky gameplay and it takes note about your decisions and really impacts the world and future skills for your character, it can also affects your companions feelings about you.

you can be a real asshole in the game and people will love you anyway.

Thanks

gAg CruSh3r

Panel will certainly be interesting.

iSfnzKVad7P0c.gif

it feels that way, random mantis missile, sniped, railgun shot, halo 4 just has too many easy ways to die/kill

I play a lot of big team, would say about 50% in 4v4 :p

No you're right there is a ton more one hitters in Halo 4 than the previous Halos. Mainly they wanted to defocus the great shields/health aspect of Halo and get more quick CoD death/respawn loop going especially with the Infinity Slayer Instant Respawn default stuff they had off day 1.

Basically after the first 90 seconds of any match now, you just have to assume everyone has a upclose weapon (boltshot, shotgun, that other stupid thing) and a sniper or incinerator cannon in their back-pocket. Really cant wait til they go back to no ordnance, weapons on map, and power weapons in respawn locations timed. Like the days when Halo was good.

Boltshot is terrible, I don't know how the figured "hey remember how overpowered maulers were? now you can spawn with a chargeable one plus camo!" was ever going to be a good idea.

I mean sure at some point you start getting a little thin on unique firing gimmicks but opting to completely remove the boltshot or hell even just having it behave like a machine pistol or something would have been better. The entire Forerunner/Promethean sandbox feels redundant for the most part. Hell the brute sandbox was better.

FyreWulff

Boltshot is terrible, I don't know how the figured "hey remember how overpowered maulers were? now you can spawn with a chargeable one plus camo!" was ever going to be a good idea.

I mean sure at some point you start getting a little thin on unique firing gimmicks but opting to completely remove the boltshot or hell even just having it behave like a machine pistol or something would have been better. The entire Forerunner/Promethean sandbox feels redundant for the most part. Hell the brute sandbox was better.

It had to be, otherwise customization wouldn't work.

If you allow people to choose a universal loadout, then to service the customization, you have to have redundant or role-similar weapons everywhere.

GrizzNKev

Banned
When is the thing they're announcing Halo 2 iOS and Halo 3 PC at? Tomorrow?

If they don't do that I will be mad and stuff. GRRR

Madness

It'll come to XBLA, just wish the suits would make it happen faster.

Also, agree on the one hit kill weapons. I saw a thread on gaming side, where someone asked if there were still any shooters where it's not who sees who first anymore, but you have the ability to take a shot, outwork/out strafe enemies and opponents.

Agree on feeling like you die by 1 hit weapons, especially infinity Slayer.

Edit: Ah, didn't see the microtransactions. Pay to get credits quicker to unlock stuff in game.

Halo 5 - 20 Spartan points for $3.99, Juices no longer do you need to grind, you could just pay to get stability perk.

FyreWulff

Rather than make you explore, THE SKULLS YOU'VE HAD IN THE PAST 5 GAMES CAN BE YOURS AGAIN FOR ONLY $15

technically the skulls are new, but i could only see one at e3 named 'hollow' that gave you shields but no health

mobile gaming is full of that stuff, so it's really the userbase they're catering to with that game

wwm0nkey

Doesn't look like it affects the game much...

Still don't see the point though. I mean if it was Free by all means do it and while I will still buy the game I am hoping to god these credits do not mean I will have to grind missions over and over thats why I am worried about it.

Top Bottom