• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RumbleAxis revealed? Maybe..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Hmm..I'll let GAF analyse this one before making any definitive statements, but this looks interesting. And I hope this isn't old..Kotaku has the report:

http://kotaku.com/gaming/rumor/rumble-sixaxis-in-developers-hands-276014.php

It's actually based on a Haze developer diary from IGN. They have the video embedded in their report.

Basically, at two points in the video, a developer is playing a game with a blurred-out controller. Not quite enough to convince Kotaku, but if you look really carefully - and maybe it's just my imagination - but there are hallmarks of a rumbling controller. In the first instance, the developer puts the controller down with his left hand, and with no contact from the developer, the controller jolts to the right on the desk (the dev is 'getting killed' at this point, which might be in line with a violently rumbling controller :p)

The second bit is just afterwards..the developer hands the blurred-out controller to the other developer while driving a vehicle, and as he passes it, it looks like the controller is shaking..the pass-over is a bit fumbly, and the second developer expresses a surprised 'oh!' as this happens.

Both of these bits happen around the 10-11minute mark. At other points, the devs were playing it with non-blurred sixaxis controllers.

Apparently the vid was taken in May..make of it what you will, I think it's interesting though. If it is what's suggested, it looks like they moved very quickly to get the requisite stuff out to developers, and it would be pretty promising the controller releasing this fall/winter, along with supporting software.

Norml

I saw that also, and they show a PS3 controller earlier in the vid but blur it later.. why else
:D

Price Drop to include controller would be nice.

Blablurn said:
I cannot wait to see the controller next week.

sixaxis-impressions-20061020042258211.jpg

There you go.

Why are they blurring it out? Isn't it supposed to look the same as the SIXAXIS I guess it was rumbling during the video and they didn't want us to see that.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
I'm going to be the party pooper here and say that was just a black 360 Elite controller and it was blurred out because the Elite had not been announce yet at the time of filming.

Well it could be..

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
VideoMan said:
I'm going to be the party pooper here and say that was just a black 360 Elite controller and it was blurred out because the Elite had not been announce yet at the time of filming.

Well it could be..

Well, IMO it looks like a Playstation controller. In the second 'incident' it's also connected with a cable, and it looks just like a PS3 controller does when connected..a 360 controller would look a bit different with the play-and-charge kit I think. Also, PS3 is their lead platform, and I don't think MS sends out new coloured controllers to developers when they launch a new coloured system :p Functionally the elite controllers are no different, it'd be pointless. And they were playing with sixaxis controllers on ps3 at all other times.

Ramenman

VideoMan said:

Well it could be..

Isn't the game PS3 only ?

Looks like I'm out of the loop too :(

VideoMan said:

Well it could be..
The debugs come with white controllers, actually. Why would there be any need for a developer to have a black controller?

Wollan

snack said:
Why are they blurring it out? Isn't it supposed to look the same as the SIXAXIS I guess it was rumbling during the video and they didn't want us to see that.

David Karraker was talking about regionised controllers back when the rumble lawsuit was dissolved. I think we may see a Xbox 1 Controller S situation. Who knows.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
gofreak said:
Well, IMO it looks like a Playstation controller. In the second 'incident' it's also connected with a cable, and it looks just like a PS3 controller does when connected..a 360 controller would look a bit different with the play-and-charge kit I think. Also, PS3 is their lead platform, and I don't think MS sends out new coloured controllers to developers when they launch a new coloured system :p Functionally the elite controllers are no different, it'd be pointless. And they were playing with sixaxis controllers on ps3 at all other times.

I was joking. They even say he's playing the PS3 version in the video.

Oneself

snack said:

Well, the part where he drives a Warthog-like truck clearly shows rumble, but notice that at the very last second of this part, the blur goes out and we can see that it's a "Sixaxis" ... but rumble-ized.

But if the main game is made on PS3, maybe it's easier for them to program things like rumble in the PS3 version so it can be ported more easily on 360...

Wollan

bud said:
uhm, why not?
I just thought it would be too early showing a redesign (as I'm thinking the form factor will be changed) but I'm glad to be wrong if this is the case.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Yeah, I didn't notice before that the blur is removed momentarily at the end of that segment, revealing the sixaxis. And that controller was definitely rumbling :p

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The two moments are found at the times 10:01 and 10:34.

I'm trying to listen to the second one closely, because I swore I could hear the rumbling, but now I'm not sure.

If this video was indeed taken in May then there's a good chance the big fall releases will take advantage of it. Hopefully this includes GTA IV :p

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
K.Jack said:

I'm trying to listen to the second one closely, because I swore I could hear the rumbling, but now I'm not sure.
Yeah I think I heard a rumble when he passed the controller in the vehicle segment, but it could of been gun shooting in the game, who knows.

I'm interested in how this new immersion rumble works out.

VideoMan said:

Well it could be..
It is definitely a SIXAXIS controller. In the first incident, as the cameraman is walking up you can see for a split second the controller unblurred. In this instance you can see that he is holding the controller with his two thumbs horizontal, and not diagonal from eachother as if he was using a 360pad. You can also notice that there is no greenlight indicating that the controller is powered on, so you know that it isn't a 360 pad.

In the next instance, you can see a black cable coming out of the middle of the controller. If it was a 360 gamepad, the cable would be gray. But in the video the cable is black, which means it is a SIXAXIS. You can also tell by the way he is holding it that it is a SIXAXIS.

This is definitely a SIXAXIS.

bud

Wollan said:
I just thought it would be too early showing a redesign (as I'm thinking the form factor will be changed) but I'm glad to be wrong if this is the case.

i don't think they'd change the form factor since there is plenty of space in the controller.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This is too weird. Those devs are funny though.

Devs with personiality +1

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
K.Jack said:

I didn't want to mention it for fear of being labelled crazy, but I thought I heard that too ;)

Kaz had better carry the torch and ask, "How does it feel, Phil?"

Somnid

I don't know why anyone even cares. It's not exactly anything hype worthy, they're just fixing a rather idiotic mistake. Now if they could put the left analog stick where it belongs then we might have something.

snack said:
It is definitely a SIXAXIS controller. In the first incident, as the cameraman is walking up you can see for a split second the controller unblurred. In this instance you can see that he is holding the controller with his two thumbs horizontal, and not diagonal from eachother as if he was using a 360pad. You can also notice that there is no greenlight indicating that the controller is powered on, so you know that it isn't a 360 pad.

In the next instance, you can see a black cable coming out of the middle of the controller. If it was a 360 gamepad, the cable would be gray. But in the video the cable is black, which means it is a SIXAXIS. You can also tell by the way he is holding it that it is a SIXAXIS.

This is definitely a SIXAXIS.

SIXAXIS :lol

Brannon

It can't possibly be rumble, that's last gen tech and Sony doesn't do that, shame on you all.

Yeah right. I'm putting 9 GAF points on it being rumble. This E3 we will finally see a full-featured PS3.

Somnid

Brannon said:

There sure are a lot of Helgeist floating around the forum...

Hmmm, you're right. Inquiry solved. We all know what to expect, I hope people aren't concocting crazy ideas of thrusting controllers like the Nintendo fans were before the Wiimote was shown.

methane47

Look how when the guy puts the controller down It rumbles and hits into his arm...

4pexyxi.gif

Edit: GAF killed my bandwidth :( no more pic
Edit2: Tiny pic (I planned ahead and uploaded it to two places :D

if you listen to the video at this point you can hear a slight rumble sound..

Reilly

methane47 said:
Look how when the guy puts the controller down It rumbles and hits into his arm...

http://i14.tinypic.com/4pexyxi.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

nice :lol

Next-Gen rumble confirmed.

Ramenman

Yeah, that's one hell of a jump the controller makes around 10:03.

Though I just thought of one thing. Is there a blatant change in the design of the controller by adding rumble ?? I mean, one big enough so we could see it when standing as far from it as we are, and when half of it is being covered by a developper's hand ?
That's the only way they would need to blur it right ?

methane47 said:

4pexyxi.gif

if you listen to the video at this point you can hear a slight rumble sound..
Their office is built on a slope, that's why there's a bunch of controllers and crap all piled up on the wall to the right side of the desk.

Top Bottom