• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3 Hype Train Pitstop: EGM's gotta leak

[MOD NOTE]
Posting or linking to the EGM scans will get you banned.
[/MOD NOTE]

Okay so the Halo 3 stuff from September's EGM due out in August got leaked. Don't talk about the scans, you shouldn't mention em, and definently don't be coy asking for PMs. If you fail that hard at the internet and are still so desperate to see em keep the begging out of this thread.

I'm not even sure how kosher it is making a new thread for this even with no scans, but the information IS exciting and I think most people assume the constant bumpage of the E3 thread is just the Halo fanatics being Halo fanatics. I tried to keep the information generalized if at all possible so as not to spoil the article completely. If it ain't cool that's fine and I'll put this summary in the other thread.

Anyways, the rundown:

New Gear:

Mauler - Dual-wieldable shotgun. Brute weapon, mandatory blade randomly sticking out the bottom.
Gravity Hammer - Based on Tartarus special toy. Can act like a sword, but mostly used for area attacks and physics based fun. Sends vehicles and grenades flying. Has a shockwave-type effect.
Flare - It's a flashbang. Seems Forerunner in design, looks very similar to the unknown grenade type but might be equipment.
Regenerator - Equipment. Like the power drainer but opposite.
Radar Jammer - Equipment. Causes radar to go crazy with false positives. More importantly though, described as "mostly" useless in the campaign. Yea, okay I guess it's just a turn of phrase.
Positional Shield - Equipment. Pretty much exactly like the ground shields in Halo/Halo 2. Not clear whether or not it's permanent or whether or not it lets gunfire through one side.

New Vehicles:

Prowler - A Brute Spectre. Looks amazingly badass.
Hornet - UNSC helicoptor only seen in Campaign mode so far. Appears to carry passengers, but God knows how, seems to expose them more than the Mancannon does.
Elephant - Described as a Jawa Sandcrawler, it's essentially a UNSC Scarab. A dozen soldiers can ride it, it can house a Mongoose in it's belly, is driveable, has a turret, can respawn troops, and holds both the flag and cap point. Only available on Sandtrap as of right now, and is only thing specifically mentioned not to be included in Forge.

Campaign:

Online Co-op - WHO KNOWS? FRANKIE KNOWS. SAY SOMETHING FRANKIE. C'MON FRANKIE. UPDATE: FRANKIE SAYS SOMETHING!
Brutes - They stay towards rear, commanding others in encounters. Berserking is gone, but they will do a monkey charge if stripped of their technology. Chieftains come with Grav Hammers and the same invincibility power Tartarus had. Oh and they can use jetpacks.
A.I. - The monkeys can now climb, along with the rest of the Covenant. Seems to be a direct response to retarded Elite On A Hill moments in Halo 2.
The Arbiter - Nothing. "No Raiden moment." Campaign is 100% MC, with Arbiter in tow for Co-op. Whether this means Arbiter won't be selectable solo at all or rules out 4 player co-op is unknown.
Encounters - "There's an encounter at the end of the second mission that you play that has more enemies allies than the entire first mission of Halo". Claims less drastic distinction between the Now I'm Exploring This Corridoor, Now I'm Blowing Up Vehicles parts.
Lighting, Sound, Music, Graphics in general - Godly. Around 40,000 voice clips too. Cursing used to indicate status.
Metagame - Played solo or co-op, score based on player performance and active hidden skulls. Presumably difficulty level too. Mentions stat collection on bnet but not the all important LEADERBOARDS.

Multiplayer:

LOCKOUT REMAKE - Not really. Map's name is Gaurdian, Forerunner place hanging in the jungle. "This is not a port of Lockout". Maybe he's lying? Supposedly Lockout influenced, it's really hard to read the section on it. The screen of it has the double level and catwalk thing going on but seems much, much larger.
Game Modes - A good amount spent on the customizeable gameplay modes. Gravity, spawns, move speed, and even stuff like immunity while within a King of the Hill circle are customizeable. Lists stuff like Hamster Crack and Hammer Time, but it's not clear whether these are actually preset modes or just ways of messing with options in Custom games.
Sandtrap - Vehicles on a goddamn 15 second respawn timer. Not really clear how the vehicle spawn locations will interact with moving the Elephant around.
Elite model - Larger than Spartan but not so much to gimp yourself. Head seems to have been raised much higher although it definently still seems longer than the Spartan domes.
Invincibility - Based on Tartarus green haze of don't waste your ammo, allegedly rare in multiplayer. Possibly equipment.

Forge:

You can turn your Spartan into a Halo Monitor and back again. That's pretty much it. Full control over a map's spawned items except for the Elephant. Multiplayer, although player count unknown. Everyone gets a Monitor. Create your own gameplay, or whatever that stupid buzzword is. Divergent, or something. Will track Spartan's stats for goal based play, although won't have any rules enforced.

The Halo Monitors are the Forerunner AIs that... monitor the Halos. Check here for more information on them. It's actually a cute way of having an editor make sense within the universe.

Marathon:

Speculation about the terminals, no new info. But the magazine says Marathon should be on XBLA "now". Which should correspond to sometime near August 11th.

Story Stuff:
If it's purple, kill it - Grunts switched sides again apparantly. Hunters may or may not have. Frankie's already confirmed that the Arbiter is the sole elite in the first mission. Bungie has made a specific point about being translucent on who the bad guys are, no leap needed to conclude the giant plant monster is connected to the parasitic zombies.
ARG - I'm sure this is probably obvious to anyone keeping track of it, but the ARG definently connects to the Halo 3 storyline.
Afrika - Not much revealed we don't know about. The Covenant are ripping up the Earth to get to the Ark. Appears they've found it by the end of the third mission (which is where the E306 trailer should fit).
Scarab - The next level has you and a dozen marines chasing down a Scarab on the backside of Mongooses firing rockets at thing. Scarab is unscripted A.I.

So that's that. The Scarab and Elephant things are obviously megatons. If anything's wrong or excluded say so and I'll edit.

P.S. I know I'm not Ghal, but he was being lazy.

rakka

Reason I want a 360 :D

Thanks, awesome info.

edit: but seems to be the same info in the trailer thread >_>

voltron

Yeah its a shame that EGM lose some of the punch of the exclusive again, but what can you do hey? Its probably the same reason there are still millions of people dying from malnutrition each year - personal responsibility.

This wasn't clarified in the other thread, does the article show any campaign images or is it multiplayer only?

I'm waiting for my EGM to arrive, I don't want to see scans :)

Opus Angelorum said:
This wasn't clarified in the other thread, does the article show any campaign images or is it multiplayer only?

I'm waiting for my EGM to arrive, I don't want to see scans :)

There are images of the level shown at E3 along with some stuff from the E3 trailer. The marine model shown looks very disturbing. Also a random shot of a night level.

rakka

Son of Godzilla said:
There are images of the level shown at E3 along with some stuff from the E3 trailer. The marine model shown looks very disturbing. Also a random shot of a night level.

?

Sypher

Banned
Ive always wondered, is it worth playing through halo 1and 2 for the story or is it your typical shooter psuedo reason to kill type plot?

scarybore

Just woke up and wet myself once I read the thread title. Sounds pretty awesome over all, Forge sounds like that old Halo editor for modded Xboxs where you could swap out Grunts for Elites, etc.

USD

sypher said:
Ive always wondered, is it worth playing through halo 1and 2 for the story or is it your typical shooter psuedo reason to kill type plot?
They have pretty good stories, especially for the genre they're in.

Thoren

Banned
HELL YEAH @ The Hammer

I can not WAIT to get that thing, and just smash an enemy Warthog full of reds out of the way :lol

Frenck

Banned
sypher said:

Hmm, the plot kind of polarizes the players. Some people say it's amazingly deep for an FPS and the main selling point of the game and other people say it is non-existant or that Halo is only good for playing the multiplayer.

I'd recommend that you make up your own mind about it:

http://halosm.bungie.org/story/

Scotch

The Arbiter - Nothing. "No Raiden moment." Campaign is 100% MC, with Arbiter in tow for Co-op. Whether this means Arbiter won't be selectable solo at all or rules out 4 player co-op is unknown.
And just like that, I'm interested in this game again.

Mojovonio

Banned
So the rumor was 4 player online co-op and the reality is, no online co-op at all?

Did anyone mind being warped next to your buddy when you got too far behind?

I sure as hell didn't.

And if it means sacrificing what will truly make this a AAA title, Bungie is retarded.

Mojovonio said:
Did anyone mind being warped next to your buddy when you got too far behind? I sure as hell didn't.

Yeah I'm hoping that's what ends up happening, and Online Co-Op makes it into the game. Halo 3 would officially be the most complete game of all time. So many features.

Opus Angelorum said:
In what sense?

Doesn't look at all like the shrimp in Halo 1/2. He's heavily armored, seems to even be wearing a Spartan diaper. If it weren't for the lack of helmet I totally would have mistook the picture for a custom Spartan model.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the first shot of a human face too outside of Keyes.

Son of Godzilla said:
Doesn't look at all like the shrimp in Halo 1/2. He's heavily armored, seems to even be wearing a Spartan diaper. If it weren't for the lack of helmet I totally would have mistook the picture for a custom Spartan model.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's the first shot of a human face too outside of Keyes.

Damn, must...resist...urge...

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
captain wow said:
The lack of online coop would be a huge blow for me, but even still i honestly cannot think of a game with so many features.

The really sick thing about it is that they are still holding back. Prepare your face. It will be melted.

Son of Godzilla said:
Thank you

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Linkzg said:
I still dont get the hate for The Arbiter

and did Bungie confirm that the flood is rarely in the game?

The Flood will play a major role. They have too.

For me, one of the reasons I enjoy Halo is MC. I like his story arc, and in Halo 2 when I'm thrown in the shoes of this Elite character the story became very meh from that point on until I was back playing MC.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Opus Angelorum said:
I thought the flood battle was one of the highlights, it was frentic.

I think im closer to death due to my blood pressure during all the flood fighting parts :(

Router said:
I think im closer to death due to my blood pressure during all the flood fighting parts :(

:lol

Judging by the audio from the campaign playthrough posted by Snoopers, you'll need a pacemaker for Halo 3!

Opus Angelorum said:
I thought the flood battle was one of the highlights, it was frentic.

You know, I just realized that Halo 2's flood segments are the perfect example for that "I was playing the game WRONG" thread. The flood levels are absolutely terrible if you play them straight up, but if you play them without trying to kill every last infected bastard and instead maneuver around em it's very enjoyable. That last level as MC escaping High Charity is easily the best level in the game, and really turned me around on my opinion of the Flood.

Thoren said:
I hope theres barely any flood. I really hated fighting them

yeah, the flood were terrible to fight.

infact, any flood like enemies in FPS games are terrible, this includes the flood/headcrab like things from Resistance and Headcrabs from halflife. Small and fast creatures are not fun to fight against.

jimbo

Banned
I like the flood as well. Breaks up the elegant gameplay. You think you're getting a hold of this AI thing, and then wham....you get these crazy things just coming at you. That's when you whip out the shotgun. Shotgun + flood + up close one hit kills = major satisfaction.

Frenck

Banned
I remember that everybody complained about Jackal Snipers but I thought auto lock on RL combat forms took the cake as the cheapest enemies in Halo 2.

Thoren said:
I hope theres barely any flood. I really hated fighting them
I like the flood aspect of the story but the actual fights were not that fun as my favourite weapons were not all that effective and neither was melee. Although i guess they are all about forcing you out of your comfort zone.

Top Bottom