• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2013

JavyOO7

Not sure how I feel about Gamestop/Pikmin 3 thing. If you pre order digital version of Pikmin 3 at gamestop you get to play it a day earlier.

Dave Long

Banned
Eh... Pikmin 3 is going to be on my shelf forever after it arrives. One day isn't going to be a problem. More importantly, I'll have that disc so my kids can borrow it when they move out someday. :)

Excited for reviews/impressions of Attack of the Friday Monsters. The Guild series has made for a lot of interesting games, one of which I enjoyed a whole lot (Crimson Shroud). Most of the games are somewhat flawed in a way though, so I won't jump on AotFM immediately.

knkng

Played a little further into the game and it's definitely more of an adventure game than visual novel. The main way to make progress seems to be through winning Monster Card battles. Some kids will only give you information to progress the story if you're currently their "master", a title won by beating them at cards.

The care battles are based on Rock, Paper & Scissors rules. You each lay out five cards, face down from each other, then the game gives you a hint on your win/lose/draw outcome. You can then swap two cards to try better your chance of winning. If your card and an opponent's card end up in a draw, the win is determined by card strength. Every card has a strength of 1 through 5. It also looks like you can upgrade cards from 1 to 3 stars, but I haven't been able to do so yet.

That's all I've got for now, but I'm enjoying the game.
Thank you for the summary. Gonna go ahead and check this game out.

JavyOO7

Nintendo wouldn't... surely... nooo. That's as bad as/worse than Day 1 DLC!

I mean Nintendo should implement a pre order function on their eShops. But since they don't, they could have made it so that those who want Pikmin 3 digitally could get it a day earlier through their eShop. Without going through gamestop.

I'm just kinda sour on GS since the few around my area I'm not a big fan of.

Please report back. I love the vibe of this game, but I'll be completely honest, I'm still not entirely sure what the gameplay entails.

My previous posts:

Reluctant-Hero said:
I'm playing right now. So far it's nice little game with a charming atmosphere. I've been running around the town collecting "glims" which are various colored, shiny, rocks. When you collect 7 of one type, you unlock a "Monster Card". Right now I need to collect five cards to enable a card battling mechanic. But at the same time I'm supposed to completely the various "episodes", which are quests. I've yet to see the actual Monsters yet, but I think I will soon.

So yeah, so far, so good.

Reluctant-Hero said:
Attack of the Friday Monster
Played a little further into the game and it's definitely more of an adventure game than visual novel. The main way to make progress seems to be through winning Monster Card battles. Some kids will only give you information to progress the story if you're currently their "master", a title won by beating them at cards.

The care battles are based on Rock, Paper & Scissors rules. You each lay out five cards, face down from each other, then the game gives you a hint on your win/lose/draw outcome. You can then swap two cards to try better your chance of winning. If your card and an opponent's card end up in a draw, the win is determined by card strength. Every card has a strength of 1 through 5. It also looks like you can upgrade cards from 1 to 3 stars, but I haven't been able to do so yet.

That's all I've got for now, but I'm enjoying the game.

ngower

Please report back. I love the vibe of this game, but I'll be completely honest, I'm still not entirely sure what the gameplay entails.

Reluctant-Hero's impressions are fairly complete. The game is told in 'episodes' with a simple goal (episode one is delivering laundry to the bakery lady, for example) driving the story forward. You collect shining 'glims' on the ground, and receive a card after a certain amount have been collected. You use these to battle the other kids in a five-card rock-paper-scissors game. The monster cards game is not challenging at all, but there's a bit of strategy involved.

I played for about 30-45 minutes and have enjoyed my time so far, although the narrative does have a sort of weird childish vibe to it. That's both a good and bad thing: it's good when you catch subtext from the adults that a child wouldn't normally latch onto, or when you feel like you're a kid playing, but it's bad when the jokes are ones that a child would find humorous. The controls are also slightly annoying, but this isn't a game where that matters too much.

All that said, I like it so far. We'll see how I like it as I get deeper into the game, but if nothing else, the presentation is stunning for an $8 game.

The more I play of AotFM, the more I realize that it's really someone's love letter to their youth, growing up in early 1980s Japan.

I've put in nearly three hours today. This is a very good thing.

The more I play of AotFM, the more I realize that it's really someone's love letter to their youth, growing up in early 1980s Japan.

I've put in nearly three hours today. This is a very good thing.

It's very much a love letter to someone's youth during the 70s/80s.
AotFM is made by the same people behind the Boku no Natsuyasumi/My Summer Vacation series in Japan.
It's all about recapturing the feeling of nostalgia of a Japanese summer vacation replete with bug catching, visiting the grandparents, hanging out with friends, flying kites, etc.

AotFM just adds in and focuses more on the kaiju/trading cards aspect.
I'm downloading it now and really looking forward to it.

ngower

I've played just under two hours according to my activity log, and I am loving this game! Reminds me of a lot of the Miyazaki's films—Spirited Away in particular.

[EDIT] Someone on reddit has described Attack of the Friday Monsters as "Shenmue for 10 year olds." That's not entirely off the mark.

GeekyDad

I've played just under two hours according to my activity log, and I am loving this game! Reminds me of a lot of the Miyazaki's films—Spirited Away in particular.

[EDIT] Someone on reddit has described Attack of the Friday Monsters as "Shenmue for 10 year olds." That's not entirely off the mark.

That's kinda the vibe I was getting from it immediately when it was shown a while back. A bit of Spirited Away and My Neighbor Totoro.

Gonna get it, but probably won't touch it for a while, since SMTIV just release and I'm knee-deep into that.

@MUWANdo

Banned
What? No, it runs within a gbc emulator, the "GBA flag" doesn't exist.

I know it's running in a GBC emulator, but the GBA "enhancements" for games like Shantae and the Oracle games aren't actual enhancements--they don't use any of the extra hardware from the GBA for any of the "enhanced" features, they're simply additional features that run entirely within the confines of the GBC hardware that only turn on if you play on GBA. The only interaction they have with the GBA side of things is a register check during boot that checks whether the game is running on GBC or GBA, that's it.

ngower

Just passed the first three hours and shits getting real.

Not sure where you're at but
the monster versus Cleaner Man
was so incredible.

This game is just incredible. Really has me hooked. I'd keep going through the night if I didn't have to work tomorrow. Makes me feel like a kid!

This game has surpassed my expectations. I had an idea of what it would be like going in, but it isn't like that at all. It's really surprised me in a number of ways. Don't wanna jump the gun, but this could be my favorite eShop game yet.

Not sure where you're at but
the monster versus Cleaner Man
was so incredible.

This game is just incredible. Really has me hooked. I'd keep going through the night if I didn't have to work tomorrow. Makes me feel like a kid!

This game has surpassed my expectations. I had an idea of what it would be like going in, but it isn't like that at all. It's really surprised me in a number of ways. Don't wanna jump the gun, but this could be my favorite eShop game yet.

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Damn it, I wore out my XL battery and have to it let charge before I can play again!

What's happening right now on the 3DS eShop (in the EU only I'm assuming?) is strange for a number of reasons. It's been like this for at least 10 hours or so, you would think they would block access while fixing whatever problem is causing this.

The fact that it's possible to browse the WiiU content at all might indicate that a unified eShop is being worked on, I guess. Still very weird.

And having me believe for a second I could download Earthbound on my 3DS – not cool.

G70sTqA.png

L Thammy

You've always been able to see 3DS games on the Wii U eShop. So I guess they're combining the systems or something like that?

MarkusRJR

What's the cheapest storage solution for a basic Wii U? I was looking at hard drives but most are massive. I'm only looking for something 10-20gb. I'm only going to be using it for DLC, big updates, and big save games. Small save files/updates, VC games, etc will still be on the 2.3gb of internal storage (out the box only 2.3gb was available, most being taken up by the OS and media apps). Would I be able to just use a usb flash drive or an SD card or something?

Or if you know of any super cheap harddrives, show me the way! :p

69wpm

What's the cheapest storage solution for a basic Wii U? I was looking at hard drives but most are massive. I'm only looking for something 10-20gb. I'm only going to be using it for DLC, big updates, and big save games. Small save files/updates, VC games, etc will still be on the 2.3gb of internal storage (out the box only 2.3gb was available, most being taken up by the OS and media apps). Would I be able to just use a usb flash drive or an SD card or something?

Or if you know of any super cheap harddrives, show me the way! :p

USB flash drive would be the easiest way. I mean 16GB is no more than 10 bucks. For 100 bucks you can get external hard drives with 2TB, this should last a very long time.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I don't see anything like that on italian eShop, right now. Myabe they already removed it?

MarkusRJR

USB flash drive would be the easiest way. I mean 16GB is no more than 10 bucks. For 100 bucks you can get external hard drives with 2TB, this should last a very long time.
USB sticks work? I heard conflicting reports around launch? If so I guess I'll just pick up a small 16gb one to put updates and DLC on (hopefully one that doesn't light up when used). Thanks for the help. :)

69wpm

USB sticks work? I heard conflicting reports around launch? If so I guess I'll just pick up a small 16gb one to put updates and DLC on (hopefully one that doesn't light up when used). Thanks for the help. :)

They do work but remember that the constant access on the drive will kill it pretty fast. The Wii U has to constantly read data and that is a lot of stress for a usb drive. If you can get a cheap external hard disk somewhere I would go with that one.

Wow.

July 18, 2013

Earthbound, Mega Man, Sega Classics. This will go down as one of the biggest days for retro gaming on Nintendo systems.
Seriously, so much goodness! I get to play EarthBound, the Mega Man games, and a lot of those Sega classic for the first time and off tv. Fuck yeah!

So good.

thomaser

After playing Earthbound yesterday, I got a message saying that an update for Lego City Undercover had been installed. Does anyone know what this update does? I've searched, but cannot find info on it.

sakipon

After playing Earthbound yesterday, I got a message saying that an update for Lego City Undercover had been installed. Does anyone know what this update does? I've searched, but cannot find info on it.

Interesting, I'll have to go check. I remember a few people reported some issues with one of the hats, was it the miner hat, that can go missing if you change it in the customisation part. Or maybe it just shaves some seconds off the loading times...

Top Bottom