• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just what the heck is up with SEGA anyway?

Terrell

What I find funny is that all of the stuff they have been making lately that actually looks good? Arcade games. Virtua Fighter 5, that really cool-looking game 2Spicy, Ollie King, Psy-Phi... seems Sega moved all its talented folks into arcade development and then never bothered to bring their arcade properties home. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they were trying to send people back to arcades by making the arcades just another platform they could give exclusives to and denying console ports. Who knows, though.

Either way, it seems like many of Sega's old studios and talent has gone oddly silent. Most of the games they've published lately have been Sonic Team stuff and Western 3rd-parties with new and previously existent IPs passed off to them by Sega (BAD IDEA).

chris0701

Syth_Blade22 said:
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANTED

IS IT .

Tokyo Game Show 07 SEGA Game List

Alien Syndrome (Wii, PSP)
After Burner: Black Falcon (PSP)
Beijing 2008: the Official Videogame of the Olympic Games (PS2, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS, PC)
ChuChu Rocket! (XBLA, PC)
Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars (PSP)
Fighters Megamix 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
Ghost Squad (Wii)
Happy Tree Friends False Alarm (XBLA, PC)
Jet Set Radio Next (Xbox 360, PS3)
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii, DS)
Medieval II: Total War Kingdoms Visit (PC)
Nights: Journey of Dreams (Wii)
Phantasy Star Universe: Ambition of the Illuminus (PS2, Xbox 360, PC)
Samba De Amigo Fever (PSP)
Sega Classics Collection 2 (PS2,PSP)
Sega Rally Revo (Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, PC)
Sega Superstar 2 (Wii)
Shenmue 3 (Xbox 360)
Shenmue I & II Plus (Xbox 360)

Skies of Arcadia 2 (Wii)
Sonic Rivals 2 (PSP)
Sonic Rush Adventure (DS)
Sonic the RPG (Xbox 360, PS3)
Space Channel 5 Part 3 (Xbox 360, PS3)
Space Channel 5 Showtime (Wii, DS, PSP)

The Club (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
The Golden Compass (PS2, PC, DS, Xbox 360, PSP, PS3, Wii)
The House of the Dead 4 (Xbox 360, PS3)
Universe at War: Earth Assault (Xbox 360, PC)
Virtua Fighter 5 (Xbox 360, PS3)
Virtua Fighter Kids 2 (Wii)
Worldwide Soccer Manager Live (Xbox 360, PC)
Yakuza 3 (PS3)

This list was made up by a China gamer. I saw original poster admit it.

Quazar

Mecha_Infantry said:
It hurts that you talk of my employers like that :(

Well we might change our mind if you start dropping some megatons, like confirmation on that list above.

sega4ever

their talent was always in their arcade games, im still waiting for ports of virtua cop 3, house of the dead 4, after burner, and that upgraded outrun 2

Sega definitely died years ago. They were just unable to recover from the damage the Saturn caused.

It's really too bad, because they did a much better job with their approach to the Dreamcast. It was just too late for them. They had already burnt too many bridges and used up every last drop of brand equity they once had.

They knew the Dreamcast was a long shot, and in essence it became their eulogy. They're kind of like Atari now in my mind. I mean there's a company that calls itself Atari, but it's not really the company people knew as Atari.

And Sega has become the prime example of why sales matter. Obviously some people go overboard on the sales data here (huge understatement I suppose), but I also think it's a little silly when people try to chastise others for even caring about sales (and it's usually when people resent the results for whatever reason) and act as if the success or failure of a company has no impact on their releases.

Terrell

sega4ever said:
their talent was always in their arcade games, im still waiting for ports of virtua cop 3, house of the dead 4, after burner, and that upgraded outrun 2
Well, they gave us Ghost Squad on Wii, maybe they'll put Virtua Cop 3 there and HotD4 on 360/PS3? That'd be nice. BTW, one thing that I read about with 2Spicy... does anyone know the difference between the regular Lindberg arcade board and the "Lindberg Red" board that 2Spicy uses?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
to continue doing wii lightgun ports when ps3 has an actual lightgun coming would be...well...segaesque

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Topfuel said:
Why do Sega need help when they are making money?
even if they're (somehow) turning more profit than their console days, their creativity's in the crapper.

FitzOfRage said:
They knew the Dreamcast was a long shot, and in essence it became their eulogy. They're kind of like Atari now in my mind. I mean there's a company that calls itself Atari, but it's not really the company people knew as Atari.

Yep, just like Rareware OH GOD WHY!?! I USED TO LOVE YOU SO!!!

And Sega has become the prime example of why sales matter. Obviously some people go overboard on the sales data here (huge understatement I suppose), but I also think it's a little silly when people try to chastise others for even caring about sales (and it's usually when people resent the results for whatever reason) and act as if the success or failure of a company has no impact on their releases.

Yep, this is why sales are important and this is the reason why all gamers should hope for success for everyone in the console market. Sales determine where the 3rd party games go and also result in the losers taking a look at what they did wrong and taking it into consideration in the future. It also can greatly affect the quality of 1st and 2nd Party titles as the losers would be inclined to rush their games to get them out as quickly as possible to attack the competition (See Mario Sunshine and Zelda TWW) where as the winner would be inclined to take their time to make their games the best they possibly can.

Aegus

Sega were at their best when they couldn't actually make money. I have to admit though that they've made some pretty smart publishing deals.

Sage00 said:
NO. The old Sega is dead and the new Sega needs to STAY AWAY from their IPs. Look what they've done to them. Sonic PS360, Crazy Taxi Fare Wars, Toe Jam & Earl 3, Phantasy Star Universe. Stay the **** away from them, please!

Also

altered_beast.jpg

:(

Sage00 said:
NO. The old Sega is dead and the new Sega needs to STAY AWAY from their IPs. Look what they've done to them. Sonic PS360, Crazy Taxi Fare Wars, Toe Jam & Earl 3, Phantasy Star Universe. Stay the **** away from them, please!

Seriousley, what was so wrong with TJ&E3? I see that game get so much abuse, and I can't personally understand it as I really enjoyed the game - it's just like a 3d version of the original TJ&E, and imo had some great unique graphics and co-operative gameplay, which is what made the series fun for me in the first place. One of the most underrated games on the Xbox imo.

Terrell

drohne said:
to continue doing wii lightgun ports when ps3 has an actual lightgun coming would be...well...segaesque
Nah, I'd say putting your faith in a peripheral install base on an underselling platform would be much more "Sega-esque"... but whatever.

They suck now.

They were at the top of the list at the beginning of the decade and now they are towards the bottom. It doesn't even seem like they are trying. I had high hopes for this generation but well, they are managing to even ruin that. Oh well.

They have a few chances of redeeming their name but knowing Sega, they won't.

Lots of potential in an online Crazy Taxi. The multiplayer could be great.

Imagine multiplayer Jet Grind Radio as well, Co-op?

Hard to believe the company that challenged Nintendo is gone. They were also responsible for the 2K games... Daytona.

Even oldies like Zaxxon, Space Harrier. Those would be great XBLA games.

Xenon

Oblivion said:
Yeah, now they make shitty games that sell 10 copies.

Yes but for a lot less money. Now Sega only cares about selling games and not systems. So I guess that takes a lot of pressure off them to make AAA games. =(

DyersEve

They were awesome when they had the Dreamcast then after that just started makeing the worst gameing decisions and makeing horrible games. They did start to come back though when they made the first Super Monkey Ball game which is really good then they screwed that up with the sequels, how the hell can you screw up a Monkey Ball game. The only thing they can do right is the Virtua Fighter series.

HyperionX

Frankly I think Sega will leave the gaming industry altogether. That company has absolutely zero creativity and effort.

sega4ever

i'll say it again, as if it would do any good, but sega's arcade games are great, end of story

DyersEve said:
They were awesome when they had the Dreamcast then after that just started makeing the worst gameing decisions and makeing horrible games. They did start to come back though when they made the first Super Monkey Ball game which is really good then they screwed that up with the sequels, how the hell can you screw up a Monkey Ball game. The only thing they can do right is the Virtua Fighter series.

big surprise but the first monkey ball and all the virtua fighter games are arcade games

ram

drohne said:
sega as a japanese development house is essentially dead -- i get the idea there was a huge talent exodus in those dark post-dreamcast days. they're doing some interesting things as a western publisher, though.

yeah - i really seems like this. but on the other hand, most of the jap. sega games in the past years like astro boy, sonic, shinobi were mediocre or complete crap. the western exodus as a publisher is better than staying with their more than dead asian development.

EDIT: segas arcade games are great as ever.

GuessWho

i think most people want sega to succeed, but we all know it won't happen. They just don't have the balls to pump out a major title that can make or break them.

Jirotrom

DyersEve said:

Virtua tennis is great too, the hand held sonics are relatively good, and their Publishing business is great. They own the Total War Series one of the best strategy game series on the pc.

HyperionX said:
Frankly I think Sega will leave the gaming industry altogether. That company has absolutely zero creativity and effort.
They don't have to develop a single game and they can still be in the gaming industry, SEGA is very adamant about publishing games now, and people seem to forget that.

Ikael

Dunno. TGS believe.

Quote:
"In development for the PS3 from the team that made Yakuza, Nagoshi described the game, whose name was not announced, as "my biggest production since I started working on consumer games." He expects it to exceed Yakuza in its ability to move players. An official unveiling will take place on September 14th, with a release planned for Spring.

As for the second game, Nagoshi was only able to say "I believe we'll be able to announce it in the not-so-distant future." We can't wait to see what he wears then."

Quite curious. I talked with a SEGA representative at the E3. He assured me that there were two big SEGA games, one multiplatafform , another one exclusive, which they wanted to announce at the E3 but that they were pushed back... to be announced at Leipzig. I believe that SEGA might have more surprises under their sleeve than many credits them for. Also, they have kind of assumed that they cannot make proper games by theirselves, so expect to see more good SEGA IPs handled to more competent, external developers a la Bioware and Sonic RPG.

Also, there's something kind of suspicious: what the hell has Smilebit and AM2 been doing all this time? We don't know anything about their new projects yet.

And if we are talking about wishlist, just give me space channel wii, Shenmue on the ps360 and Panzer Dragoon RPG 2 on any platafform, thank you very much.

Sega used to be my favorite game company, but unfortunately, they just lost everyying that once made them so great. The only games that kindles my interest nowadays by them is Virtua Fighter 5 and Yakuza. That is a far cry from the dozens of games that I loved by them back in the day such as Streets of Rage, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star OFFLINE, Sonic 2D, Afterburner, Outrun, Jet Set Radio, HOTD4, Daytona 2, Super GT, Thunderblade and the list goes on. Oh well, time to move on.

chris0701 said:
This list was made up by a China gamer. I saw original poster admit it.

Of course it's fake. Creating SoA2 for the Wii would give us what we WANT! This is Sega dammit! Of course it's not going to happen! And if it did Who knows if it'd be good or not.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Sega... the Sega I grew up with...

... got it's BALLS CHOPPED OFF a few years back. Seriously, if you look at the software they were putting out even 5 years ago compaired to today's run-of-the-mill junk, it's as plain as day.

Sega NO LONGER HAS ITS FAMILY JEWELS INTACT!

Come on Sega, stop letting Sammy push you around like a little 1st grade dork for his lunch money. REGROW YOUR BALLS!!!

nny

alistairw said:
It'll be bringing nothing but weird hedgehog/human pregnancies.

that's hitting right where it hurts :(

oh well...even with all the blunders, I don't think I'll ever be able to get mad at SEGA. :/

Top Bottom