• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nibris interview from Cubed

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
sorry jesusraz, this deserved its own thread.

AR:First of all, the latest builds of ROTR and Double Bloob we played have developed considerably since we last saw them. Do you have finalised release dates for these two DS games yet?

Nibris: Double Bloob – Q4 2007; ROTR – Q1 2008

AR: And what is happening in terms of publishers – do you have one already, or will us be using the upcoming Leipzig Games Convention to attract them?

Nibris: We have publishers, but not for all territories.

AR: Starting with ROTR, the game currently has two different aircraft available. But how many more will be on offer in the final game?

Nibris: At least six that you can use.

AR: In recent promotional material the game’s name appears to now be ‘Ride Over the River’ instead of ‘Raid Over the River’. Which name will be the final one?

Nibris: ROTR *smiles*

AR: Currently only the face buttons are used in ROTR, but it is stated the touch-screen and microphone will also be used. Can you please explain how these two functions will be used?

Nibris: Of course! In the menu (main menu and the one before a mission starts) and during the slow motion feature of the game, where you can draw on enemies you want to attack the most using super-attacks. Also, the microphone will be used, for example as a ‘sonic weapon’, where the attack effect changes depending on how strong your voice is.

AR: Will the speed of your aircraft movement be increased in the final game to help you dodge bullets easier?

Nibris: Yes.

AR: How do you feel ROTR compares to Shin’en Interactive’s Nanostray and its upcoming sequel (which looks very impressive)?

Nibris: Shin’en did a great job with the first Nanostray. Now it has a really impressive project in the form of the upcoming Nanostray 2. We think that both games are different from one another, though.

Nanostray is closer to classic shmups like Ikaruga. We are going in a different direction – our game has deep screenplay elements (of course this is in comparison to other arcade games in this genre), 3D graphics on both screens, and is solely a vertical shooter. Honestly I prefer to play ROTR, but we have great respect for the Shin’en team and we think that its game will be a huge success.
Of course we will play on Nanostray 2. Best regards to Shin’en!

AR: Is work still underway on a Wii version of ROTR as well?

Nibris: We are considering bringing ROTR to the WiiWare download service on Wii.

AR: As for Double Bloob, we have already seen that the game pays homage to the likes of Pang! (in the main game) and Bust-A-Move (in one of the minigames), but the latest Press Release also says elements of Pokémon and Lemmings will be incorporated. Can you please explain how these two styles will be featured?

Nibris: In most cases Bloobs are merged together and when hit they fall apart to become smaller Bloobs. Hitting a Bloob in its smallest state causes its destruction. Bloobs have different levels of resistance to the different kinds of weapons that can be used by the player, which means you are required to make the appropriate choice of weapons when playing a level. Sometimes Bloobs can be pushed away by blowing into the microphone. Also the game sets up a number of obstacles meaning players must use various types of strategy on each of the various stages.

Additionally in the game there is the possibility of “collecting” Bloobs. There are 60 kinds of Bloobs in the game and every defeated Bloob (which means one that appears in a completed level) is added to a special collection, which is accessible from the main menu. This collection contains pictures of the defeated Bloobs in their natural environment with short descriptions of facts and interesting details about their life.

AR: So far we have only been shown the male lead character. Will players be able to choose between playing as Aen and Niua in the final game?

AR: And will there be a co-operative multiplayer aspect for two players?

Nibris: YES! We have had lots of fun with one guy from our team playing the game using the buttons and a woman blowing on the microphone *big smile*

AR: In the latest version of the game, the rope and hook weapon has been replaced with a new weapon. Will there be a variety of weapons on offer or just this new one?

Nibris: Yes. But I cannot confirm what they are at the moment.

AR: Whilst Bloobsmasher plays similar to the puzzle classic Bust-a-Move, can you please explain how Hexines plays?

Nibris: In this version the player will play on hex-based playfield, shaped in a hexagonal form. Each side of this playfield will have around 6 hex fields.

AR: Currently you can blow into the microphone to push Bloobs upwards. Will this ability be limited so that the game does not become too easy?

Nibris: Of course. Blowing will be one of the bonuses that you have to obtain.

AR: It has been stated that gamers can create their own Bloob characters. Can these then be traded with other gamers to show off the new creations?

AR: Can you give us an example of one of the main Boss enemies we will face in the main game?

Nibris: One particular example is Count Bloobula, a Vampire Bloob that can shoot the player’s character, whilst also creating additional Bloobs to bounce around and defend him. To defeat him, first of all his armor must be destroyed, then a critical hit must be inflicted. After that his armor is replenished, meaning the process needs to be repeated three times.

C3: How is the highly anticipated Wii game ‘Sadness’ progressing? Do you have an idea of when it will finally be released?

Nibris: When we are sure that Sadness is as good as we want it to be. This means that the game will be released no earlier than Q4 2008, and maybe even in sometime in 2009. This game will be a completely new thing in Game Industry.

AR: Is the game going to be making use of the WiiConnect24 feature of Wii for anything?

Nibris: No.

AR: How are you finding Wii development so far? Are there any things you wish the hardware could do that it currently cannot due to limitations?

Nibris: There are, of course, some limits in developing, but any other platform would not give us the opportunity to create Sadness the way we want. As for development costs, I don’t talk about them, although in Sadness’ case they are really big.

AR: Is there anything new you can tell us about the game?

Nibris: You will have to wait until E4All, but you will be given a sign soon (perhaps at the Games Convention in Leipzig) *smiles*

AR: Will Sadness be a stand-alone game or will you be aiming to make this into a series of games in the future?

Nibris: We are making this game as a stand-alone product because ‘nothing happens twice’. However, we are only the developer, so the last word will likely be with the publisher.

AR: Would you ever consider creating a version for the DS at some point?

Nibris: No. This game can be done only for Nintendo Wii.

AR: So, in summary, what is Nibris working on right now?

Nibris: At this time we are working on Double Bloob (DS), ROTR (DS) and Sadness (Wii), each of which are already in progress. But that is not all, as you already know. We are also working on some new projects that will start actual development once these three games have reach the completion stages. As mentioned earlier, we are not interested in bringing Sadness to the Nintendo DS, but are working on another horror game that will be dedicated specifically to the Nintendo DS - "The Children of the Night" (as reported on. No dates can be confirmed yet for its release, but it will start development before Bloob Karts and details will be coming in the next couple of months.

i told you all. all you jaded gamers will be proven wrong about Nibris this LGC, and then at e4all as well.

MMaRsu

Banned
highly anticipated Wii game ‘Sadness’

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Thomper

STOP CARING ABOUT NIBRIS.

They are no different from the hundreds upon hundreds of homebrew developers out there. Okay, wait, there's one difference: many of those actually have existing, playable games worth caring about.

As long as Nibris is all promise (we will be at E3! No, wait, we'll be at E4All! But we might also go to Leipzig!), and no publisher, no real playable demo's (yes, Cubed3 had them, but nobody else), then just ignore them.

I seriously don't understand the hype for Nibris. They haven't delivered anything in any single way. Give some attention to the other fantastic homebrew-developers for DS who also don't have a publisher and never will.

hellclerk

i'm going to love laughing at you all after i get back from my canoeing trip, seing as i'm not going to be anywhere near civilization for LGC. i will laugh when we know their publisher and have working demos on the show floor that are demoed by the likes of IGN, gamespot, etc. in fact for good measure, considering they have playable code for two of their DS games :lol

Nibris is a figment of Cubed's imagination

i'm going to love laughing at you all after i get back from my canoeing trip, seing as i'm not going to be anywhere near civilization for LGC. i will laugh when we know their publisher and have working demos on the show floor that are demoed by the likes of IGN, gamespot, etc. in fact for good measure, considering they have playable code for two of their DS games

i'm going to laugh when none of that happens. In fact, I think i'll have a good laugh right now

HA HA HA

jesusraz

If you don't see something at Leipzig / E4All, then jump on their backs. But what's the big deal at the moment? Nibris is keen to let people know what it's up to so hype can build...which is seems to be doing in many places.

JonathanEx said:
Another wonderful Nibris exclusive from Cubed3.

Thanks for the continued sarcasm. Please come again.

bud

new sadness pics from ign

black-and-white.jpg

Filenamewithoutextension-cdk1.jpg

Filenamewithoutextension-idy1.jpg

tim1138

doomed1 said:
i'm going to love laughing at you all after i get back from my canoeing trip, seing as i'm not going to be anywhere near civilization for LGC. i will laugh when we know their publisher and have working demos on the show floor that are demoed by the likes of IGN, gamespot, etc. in fact for good measure, considering they have playable code for two of their DS games :lol

You have a lot of faith in a developer who previously updated the status of their projects through IGN's message boards... not IGN itself mind you, but their forums.

jesusraz said:
Thanks for the continued sarcasm. Please come again.
It gives me something to do.

though in a bit of fairness, the interview was pretty much standard game-dev interview, only questions the rest of us would think of asking is "you're actually a company? like, seriously?", "april fools?" and "when do we actually get to see some goddamn gameplay of sadnesS?

Aadil

Banned
Are people still talking about this?

Cubed3 said:
Nibris is one of those companies that just seem to get more and more attention even though it has yet to release any games. But why is this? Well, because of the concepts on offer for its DS and Wii projects.

:lol

snack said:
Oh Nibris! The jig is up, Sadness isn't coming.

Oh, but it is - sometime in late 2008 / early 2009. If we're lucky, there'll be a shaky YouTube video of someone playing it & Cubed will have a preview by early 2008!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm giving this a "wait and See" rating for now. They have shown off two DS games (in a strange shitty way) and made non-gameplay trailer for a Wii game. Thats a lot of work into a fake company. They seem to talk pretty straight if you read the interview.

The gameplay concept of Sadness SOUNDS cool. I don't douobt these games are going to see the light of day (they created their of hype) but I doubt they will be that good. Especially sadness, because its a bit ambitious for such a smal dev.

hellclerk

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
wait I'm confused... who's Nibris?
a small indy dev team of nintendo fanboys from poland. they were one of the first to claim they were working on the Wii with Raid Over the River. they've taken alot of heat for talking big but not delivering in a manner timely enough. their flagship title, Sadness, lacks the amount of media people expect from games soon after they're announced. currently they have a single live action trailer to give an idea of how their game works and a large amount of artwork. however, there has been no in game anything just yet. LGC may see some new info about the game, but the only time we know we're going to see anythin would be E4all, and there are some doubts as to whether or not theyr going to deliver there due to past experiences.

jesusraz said:
:lol Fair enough.
Video editing = boring!

I don't think any of us can't really deny that they are actually making stuff for the DS, you've played it, that's all well and good, but Nibris' big thing is supposed to be this amazing epic Sadness thing, which we've seen nothing but ideas and concept art.

hyonoid

C3: How is the highly anticipated Wii game ‘Sadness’ progressing? Do you have an idea of when it will finally be released?

Nibris: When we are sure that Sadness is as good as we want it to be. This means that the game will be released no earlier than Q4 2008, and maybe even in sometime in 2009. This game will be a completely new thing in Game Industry.

RE5 killer confirmed.

doomed1 said:
a small indy dev team of nintendo fanboys from poland. they were one of the first to claim they were working on the Wii with Raid Over the River. they've taken alot of heat for talking big but not delivering in a manner timely enough. their flagship title, Sadness, lacks the amount of media people expect from games soon after they're announced. currently they have a single live action trailer to give an idea of how their game works and a large amount of artwork. however, there has been no in game anything just yet. LGC may see some new info about the game, but the only time we know we're going to see anythin would be E4all, and there are some doubts as to whether or not theyr going to deliver there due to past experiences.

sarcasm detection failure

E-phonk

Banned
doomed1 said:
You'll have more fun laughing then you'll have playing their games.

And getting a game out in itself proves nothing, even that elf bowling game was released on DS last year. I didn't hear the developers bragging about it though.

hellclerk

JonathanEx said:
Video editing = boring!

I don't think any of us can't really deny that they are actually making stuff for the DS, you've played it, that's all well and good, but Nibris' big thing is supposed to be this amazing epic Sadness thing, which we've seen nothing but ideas and concept art.
thats true, but then, if it's proven that they're a real development team, which it has, theres no reason for them to lie. they've even shown off their Wii development kit. i think it's safe to say that sadness is being made. whether it will be good or not is up for argument. i just want to keep optimistic about the game. it paid of with Gundam Wii and ForeverBlue, and to a lesser extent red steel (hey, I liked it), why wouldnt this be at least an interesting experience?

IfAllElseFailsUseFire said:
sarcasm detection failure
eh, like i said earlier, my meter's broke

E-phonk

Banned
doomed1 said:
it paid of with Gundam Wii and ForeverBlue, and to a lesser extent red steel (hey, I liked it), why wouldnt this be at least an interesting experience?
Those were made by genuine development teams, having years of experience? Funded by large publishers (You're talking ubisoft, Nintendo and Namco, not FunnygamesInc).

hellclerk

E-phonk said:
Those were made by genuine development teams, having years of experience? Funded by large publishers (You're talking ubisoft, Nintendo and Namco, not FunnygamesInc).
well how do you know they're not bring funded by a large pub? two of those games, specifically forever blue and Gundam Wii, have dev teams that are under alot of critism. the everblue series wasnt exactly critically praised, and when was the last good gundam game? i had hope those games could be good and all impressions thus far point to exactly that. and what makes nibris anything less than a genuine dev team? they have two DS games in development, and in playable form too! give me one good reason why this game cant be good. it all depends on the dedication of the team, and they have quite a bit.

Raist

Banned
Nibris :lol

When we are sure that Sadness is as good as we want it to be. This means that the game will be released no earlier than Q4 2008, and maybe even in sometime in 2009

More like 2012 then. Because their website still mentions a 2006 release date for ROTR :lol

Linkup

doomed1 said:
well how do you know they're not bring funded by a large pub? two of those games, specifically forever blue and Gundam Wii, have dev teams that are under alot of critism. the everblue series wasnt exactly critically praised, and when was the last good gundam game? i had hope those games could be good and all impressions thus far point to exactly that. and what makes nibris anything less than a genuine dev team? they have two DS games in development, and in playable form too! give me one good reason why this game cant be good. it all depends on the dedication of the team, and they have quite a bit.

I believe you, don't worry.

Zynx

Even page-whore sites like IGN have stopped covering Nibris - why do you continue to perpetuate their prank, and end up looking like dumbasses when the entire thing collapses?

jesusraz

Zynx said:
Even page-whore sites like IGN have stopped covering Nibris - why do you continue to perpetuate their prank, and end up looking like dumbasses when the entire thing collapses?

Well, I did the same about Tingle coming to Europe and received a lot of criticism and doubt regarding that, so why the hell not? I was also the one that got moaned at for covering my source two years ago when I was told something RE related would indeed be coming to Wii despite RE5 only being announced for PS3/360 at the time. I don't mind the heat, doesn't bother me.

Oh and it's Cubed³...but people refer to the site as Cubed3 or C3 normally since they don't know how to type '³' :)

Zenith

Banned
Cosmonaut X said:
Oh, but it is - sometime in late 2008 / early 2009.

Wait, so it'll be Sadness vs Resident Evil 5? Who will win!?!

Well, I did the same about Tingle coming to Europe and received a lot of criticism and doubt regarding that, so why the hell not? I was also the one that got moaned at for covering my source two years ago when I was told something RE related would indeed be coming to Wii despite RE5 only being announced for PS3/360 at the time. I don't mind the heat, doesn't bother me.

Oh and it's Cubed³...but people refer to the site as Cubed3 or C3 normally since they don't know how to type '³' :)

Your site becomes more of a laughing stock every day. People have kinda cottoned on that the reason you're the only site pretending Nibris is real is because they use your forums like some 2bit homebrew team so you can claim many "exclusives" for massive damage.

and you predicted that "something RE related" would come to the Wii? truly, you possess more foresight than Nostradamus himself. it's uncanny just how accurate your prediction was.

hellclerk

Zynx said:
i've heard some bad blood went down between those two...

either way, i'm gonna have to contact them to mention something about contacting further media outlets, like IGN UK or Eurogamer, to give interviews and stuff...

Joe Molotov

doomed1 said:
well how do you know they're not bring funded by a large pub?

I don't know, maybe because the only people who will interview them are Cubed3 and their "press releases" are issued on GameFAQs forum.

jesusraz

Zenith said:
Your site becomes more of a laughing stock every day. People have kinda cottoned on that the reason you're the only site pretending Nibris is real is because they use your forums like some 2bit homebrew team so you can claim many "exclusives" for massive damage.

A laughing stock, really? Well, keep that opinion if you must, however unjustified it may be. It's interesting how passionate you seem about this!

and you predicted that "something RE related" would come to the Wii? truly, you possess more foresight than Nostradamus himself. it's uncanny just how accurate your prediction was.

Predict? Did I say I predicted anything? No. I was told by a Nintendo Exec at one of the company's parties, but had to keep it quiet who said it. Now kindly, get off my back.

Top Bottom