• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official July 2007 NPD Prediction Thread

Branduil

sonycowboy said:
NPD Delayed to Aug 23rd. But for a very good reason.

More detail once I get an official OK to release the information.
I hope the good reason is that they're actually going to release all the numbers this time.

[NDS]480,500
[Wii]319,500
[PSP]229,500
[PS2]208,500
[360]156,500
[PS3]139,500
[GBA]88,500
[NGC]9,000

pswii60

sonycowboy said:
NPD Delayed to Aug 23rd. But for a very good reason.

More detail once I get an official OK to release the information.

OMG Sony buying NPD, Rockstar and Tengu restaurant.

KINGMOKU

I wonder the reason, this time?

NPD is so pathetic compared to overseas game traking it isnt even funny. I often wonder how reliable thier data even is.

NPD-"Hey were going to be late, again this month, but for a good reason!"

:lol

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
moku said:

NPD is so pathetic compared to overseas game traking it isnt even funny. I often wonder how reliable thier data even is.

At least they report the sale of each game per platform. something we don't get from EU reports.

pilonv1

Gadfly said:
At least they report the sale of each game per platform. something we don't get from EU reports.

Because people pay for them. If you want to pay for the data then you can see each games sales too.

moku said:

Not to be too cryptic, but for every reason you might have for why an overseas tracker might be better, there's a reason for the difference here in the US. And a little bit of that will be taken away with this month's release. (BTW, for a good reason was my editorial addition. NPD didn't say anything of the kind. I just think you'll think it's pretty nice when you find out)

Also, I can say there's a semi-annual software update involved, so they're usually late one of these summer months as they make mid-year adjustments to their data forecasting model.

I don't remember people being quite so angry at NPD when they were getting thousands of sku's worth of sales compared to what you get from Media Create and Charttrack. There must be a correlation there somewhere.

Oh for the days when NPD was weekly. I remember being absolutely floored with GTA3's weekly numbers from launch until well into March of 2002 (when they killed the weekly sales). It was insane.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:
Not to be too cryptic, but for every reason you might have for why an overseas tracker might be better, there's a reason for the difference here in the US. And a little bit of that will be taken away with this month's release. (BTW, for a good reason was my editorial addition. NPD didn't say anything of the kind. I just think you'll think it's pretty nice when you find out)

I'm going to guess and say higher retail participation.

Thanks for the info. Next week is going to be a hoot.

donny2112

sonycowboy said:
I don't remember people being quite so angry at NPD when they were getting thousands of sku's worth of sales compared to what you get from Media Create and Charttrack. There must be a correlation there somewhere.

Methinks you have a point. :lol

apotema

NPD sucks, I don't care if tyhey are more precise or not, we can't see thier numbers, we can see MC numbers weekly.... MC >>>>>>>>> NPD

Don't expect a flood of info from those guys

Evlar

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
What has been the ratio of delays vs. on time for NPD this year?

It seems like NPD has been delayed more times than it has been on time this year.
This is at least the third delay this year out of eight reports. My memory isn't great, there may have been a fourth.

donny2112

January: Delayed twice (~10 days)
February - May: On-time
June: Delayed (3 days)
July: Delayed (1 week)

4 on-time vs. 3 delays

KINGMOKU

sonycowboy said:

Also, I can say there's a semi-annual software update involved, so they're usually late one of these summer months as they make mid-year adjustments to their data forecasting model.

Oh for the days when NPD was weekly. I remember being absolutely floored with GTA3's weekly numbers from launch until well into March of 2002 (when they killed the weekly sales). It was insane.
Hey dont get me wrong. I have zero problem with you SC. You do an awesome job.

GAF used to get so much, and I hate seeing NPD jerk GAF around so much, when it reality, GAF does/hasdone them a favor.

Oh and I will take reliability,(MC/Famitsu) over this any day of the week.

Part of me hopes that the banned site that pulls numbers from anus, gets good enough to rival NPD so we can get in-depth, free numbers without this unreal level of hassle for simple sales numbers.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
[NDS] 444,000
[WII] 307,000
[PSP] 213,000
[PS2] 197,000
[PS3] 146,000
[360] 144,000
[GBA] 78,000

sonycowboy said:
Not to be too cryptic, but for every reason you might have for why an overseas tracker might be better, there's a reason for the difference here in the US.
I knew it.
46c27e5575e39.jpg

moku said:
GAF used to get so much, and I hate seeing NPD jerk GAF around so much, when it reality, GAF does/hasdone them a favor.
Preventing illicit information sharing makes NPD no more in GAF's debt than GamePro for not allowing their scans, or Square Enix for not allowing linking to ROMs of their games.

[NDS] 500,000
[Wii] 340,000
[PSP] 235,000
[PS2] 220,000
[PS3] 190,000
[360] 150,000
[GBA] 82,000

I'm betting big on PS3 this month.

GhaleonEB said:
I'm going to guess and say higher retail participation.

Thanks for the info. Next week is going to be a hoot.

NPD said:
As a reminder, July video and PC games data will release on August 23rd
due to our semi-annual upgrade. We are happy to inform you that the
upgrade will consist of an additional 7 retailers to our NPD Video
Games and 5 retailers to our PC Games Retail Tracking services.

Video Games (console and portable categories) services:
Amazon.com
Virgin Megastores
BJ's Wholesale Club
BestBuy.com
Buy.com
Target.com
Newegg.com

At this point, they have near complete coverage of the NA market with the exception of Wal-Mart, who used to participate until 2002.

Talamius

sonycowboy said:
At this point, they have near complete coverage of the NA market with the exception of Wal-Mart, who used to participate until 2002.

Hmmm, well that is good news because it means more accurate numbers.

The question is how much of a bump across the board will this be? All of those are pretty big sites.

Talamius said:
Hmmm, well that is good news because it means more accurate numbers.

The question is how much of a bump across the board will this be? All of those are pretty big sites.

It shouldn't be much of a bump, as they just predicted the outcomes of those retailers before, right?

BenjaminBirdie said:
It shouldn't be much of a bump, as they just predicted the outcomes of those retailers before, right?

It could be a decrease as much as an increase. It depends on how well they extrapolated sales for those sites to be. The issue, of course, is that online retail continues to grow at a significantly faster pace. Without access to those numbers, you can diverge from month to month and year to year.

What's nice about Wal-Mart, is that while they don't have them as a participating games retailer, they have a wealth of historical data and they currently provide market research for them that allows them insight into it's performance relative to the market.

donny2112

sonycowboy said:

So now they have more accurate numbers that aren't publicly available. Yea?

:p

Thanks for the explanation for the delay. Do you think we can get hardware LTDs this month to see if they've backfitted some data? :)

donny2112 said:
So now they have more accurate numbers that aren't publicly available. Yea?

:p

Thanks for the explanation for the delay. Do you think we can get hardware LTDs this month to see if they've backfitted some data? :)

I'll see what I can do.

Geez. This is actually a pretty huge deal, IMO. They've pretty much completely covered the online area where they were relatively lacking before. And from what I've seen about online rankings, they have substantially different purchasing patterns than brick and mortar stores.

GhaleonEB

sonycowboy said:

The additional online retailers is great news - the less extrapolation the better.

NPD said:
As a reminder, July video and PC games data will release on August 23rd
due to our semi-annual upgrade. We are happy to inform you that the
upgrade will consist of an additional 7 retailers to our NPD Video
Games and 5 retailers to our PC Games Retail Tracking services.

Video Games (console and portable categories) services:
Amazon.com
Virgin Megastores
BJ's Wholesale Club
BestBuy.com
Buy.com
Target.com
Newegg.com

This is good. Now people can't discard Amazon.com top seller list from arguments. That's the only data available freely with everyday update. Not saying it will be reflection of the overall market but it does give some base for assumption.

MirageDwarf said:
This is good. Now people can't discard Amazon.com top seller list from arguments. That's the only data available freely with everyday update. Not saying it will be reflection of the overall market but it does give some base for assumption.

Shouldn't you wait until next Thursday to make that claim?

MirageDwarf said:

Sorry. It does nothing of the sort. It's still not going to be representative of the market at all. However, what it does do is increase the accuracy, by NPD not having to extrapolate sales that don't fall inline with the concensus majority of retailers.

MirageDwarf said:

Oh jeez... =/

GhaleonEB

I'm looking forward to July data because it's the first month that will have a shake-up this year. The price cut of the PS3 makes things less predictable. Microsoft's price cut, the release of Madden, Bioshock and others will make August really interesting. And September will be a complete wildcard.

I think the period of sales being fairly predictable - as they have been for the past several months - is over. It's going to be interesting, and a lot of fun, watching the sales move over the next few months.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Shouldn't you wait until next Thursday to make that claim?
Looks like I should as sonycowboy explained.

sonycowboy said:
Sorry. It does nothing of the sort. It's still not going to be representative of the market at all. However, what it does do is increase the accuracy, by NPD not having to extrapolate sales that don't fall inline with the concensus majority of retailers.
Thanks for clarification. I totally misunderstood how NPD works. I'll go back in the shades. It will be better if I keep myself just to reading the numbers. :)

RiskyChris said:
Oh jeez... =/

I'm not taking that number seriously. I've seen people say Amazon.com numbers don't mean anything since they are not included in NPD. I thought that will change now.

As I said it is better that I just keep myself to reading these numbers. :)

spwolf

sonycowboy said:
I'll see what I can do.

Geez. This is actually a pretty huge deal, IMO. They've pretty much completely covered the online area where they were relatively lacking before. And from what I've seen about online rankings, they have substantially different purchasing patterns than brick and mortar stores.

thanks for the info dude....

Hi.

My program would've been able to download the thread and parse it regardless. I just couldn't chew people out for not following the parser format. Ahem...

Top Bottom