• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT4| "Why do we keep playing? It is simply in our nature."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerx

Alliance "fans" will burn Blizzard to the ground if that happens :p and well voice acting is done and there is nothing indicating him dying. Obviously Vol'jin but we won't know for sure until the ending cinematic.

God, I still suck at Durumu. Really the only boss from the last few raids that I die consistently to. Pathetic =[

It's really not that bad. As soon as he starts the process of Disintegration Beam I try to line up directly behind him and constantly scan back and forth to the sides of the beam to spot the purple squiggles that indicate which side is the safe side. They take a good six or seven seconds to first appear as best as I can estimate. From there you have another three to four seconds to get yourself positioned well before the whole area is filled with eye sores. From there it can be a little messy but even if you take a couple ticks of eye sores here and there it shouldn't end with you dying. Also, be aware there's always two paths in the maze, one closer to the boss for melee, and one further out for ranged. If for any reason you simply can't see yours and there's not others around you to help figure out safe spots look for the other layer of the maze other than the one you're on and feel free to move to it. Also, if you're still not comfortable with what to look for don't even bother DPSing. You're worth more living through that section doing no damage so you can continue dealing damage for the minutes following instead of doing ten seconds of damage while failing to stay alive.

RPGCrazied

Wow. I guess I need to keep my LFRing during the week/day. Last night was just pathetic. Wiped 3 times on Iron Quon. Are tanks that stupid they don't know how to move a boss or whatever? Its usually a tank/heal problem.

Draxal

I tend to not know where to stack, and die as that fog rolls over before the maze starts. Oh well, at least as DPS that doesn't affect things much.

You see the white squiggly lines that the trash before Durumu spawn when they die. When Dururum charges up his laser he spawns purple squiggly lines; that's where the initial safe spawn is.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wow. I guess I need to keep my LFRing during the week/day. Last night was just pathetic. Wiped 3 times on Iron Quon. Are tanks that stupid they don't know how to move a boss or whatever? Its usually a tank/heal problem.

In every LFR I've tanked I've never had anyone tell me how to do the bosses when I asked and I just figured them out myself. Reading strats on them is usually pointless because they're so neutered for lfr.

Ultratech

You see the white squiggly lines that the trash before Durumu spawn when they die. When Dururum charges up his laser he spawns purple squiggly lines; that's where the initial safe spawn is.

Pretty much.

What I tend to do is get right in front of the laser, watch each side, then as soon as the purple crap appears on one side, head towards it and start going through the maze.

Frankly, I'm still surprised that so many people still die to it. I can understand if it's like their first or second time, but it's not terribly hard.

In every LFR I've tanked I've never had anyone tell me how to do the bosses when I asked and I just figured them out myself. Reading strats on them is usually pointless because they're so neutered for lfr.

Well, most of the bosses are pretty straightforward (i.e. Taunt boss after X stacks of Y for example), though there's a couple of fights where it absolutely helps to know what to do.

Cipherr

Its not all that simple. The bosses may be dieing, and you may be surviving, but letting that debuff stack on you on Will of the Emperor because you don't know about the devastating combo puts stress on your healers. I can tell you that first hand. They may be able to keep you up, and noone will probably say anything, but still... And tanking Lei Shin? Man..... If you go to that fight not knowing what to do it can be annoying, even in LFR.

mclem

They take a good six or seven seconds to first appear as best as I can estimate. From there you have another three to four seconds to get yourself positioned well before the whole area is filled with eye sores. From there it can be a little messy but even if you take a couple ticks of eye sores here and there it shouldn't end with you dying.

When we were struggling on Durumu the problem I had for a while is not really registering *when* it's safe to move on. I'd step into what looked like a gap, but it would turn out that that sector hadn't actually solidified yet - it was just the particle effect not being dense in that spot for a brief moment.

I figured out eventually that it was best to think of the room as made up of small pizza wedges, and that the gas in each wedge has two phases:

* Forming: Sparse gas over the entire wedge. Note that you will occasionally see gaps in this phase, but that's a random effect of the particle effect, not an actual gap. In melee, this is particularly dangerous; the wedge is so narrow close to the boss that a gap that appears in the particle effect looks safe to inhabit - this is the danger situation!

* Solid: The gas forms into clear solid chunks representing the walls, with some gaps. The walls are *notably* more solid than the sparse gas from the previous phase.

In other words, how I changed my strategy was to start not looking for the *gaps*, but instead to look for the *walls*; when clear solid walls formed, that was my cue to realise that a real gap was now live and inhabitable.

Cipherr

When we were struggling on Durumu the problem I had for a while is not really registering *when* it's safe to move on. I'd step into what looked like a gap, but it would turn out that that sector hadn't actually solidified yet - it was just the particle effect not being dense in that spot for a brief moment.

I figured out eventually that it was best to think of the room as made up of small pizza wedges, and that the gas in each wedge has two phases:

* Forming: Sparse gas over the entire wedge. Note that you will occasionally see gaps in this phase, but that's a random effect of the particle effect, not an actual gap. In melee, this is particularly dangerous; the wedge is so narrow close to the boss that a gap that appears in the particle effect looks safe to inhabit - this is the danger situation!

* Solid: The gas forms into clear solid chunks representing the walls, with some gaps. The walls are *notably* more solid than the sparse gas from the previous phase.

In other words, how I changed my strategy was to start not looking for the *gaps*, but instead to look for the *walls*; when clear solid walls formed, that was my cue to realise that a real gap was now live and inhabitable.

They should just flat out use a slightly higher contrast or easier to see graphic for it. I hate the way a section appears to clearly be open, then you step into it and take damage. That's bullshit.

Kenai

They should just flat out use a slightly higher contrast or easier to see graphic for it. I hate the way a section appears to clearly be open, then you step into it and take damage. That's bullshit.

I think that fight in general was very hard to understand. I usually pick up on what I need to do pretty quickly since I've been raiding on and off since late BC but that was something else to pick up by sight.

Then of course the next 3 bosses went down in less than 3 raid nights.

Fjordson

That's what it seems like to me.

Part of it is just me being bad at this fight, I accept that, but this thing is a clusterfuck. Only MoP boss I've had trouble with really.

Ceebs

Further adventures of Paladin leveling:

at level 49 Random LFD dropped me into a BRD group. Okay, this should be interesting with the way these groups seem to go. Not really thinking about how they have broken up the old dungeons, I proceed through the dungeon with no one in the group saying anything. By the time we make it all the way to the Summoners' Tomb I start getting kinda grumpy about why I got dropped into the queue for this place so early as I can barely hit anything and was having trouble keeping aggro. A wipe or two in the room with the flame keepers we make it to the Emperor. He gets pulled while clearing trash and I die a quick death as I took 5 straight crushing blows. Regroup and we kill him.

At this point a party member who has said nothing speaks up and says "Hey we skipped High Interrogator Gerstahn"

Se we teleport back to the start, kill her and the stupid end of dungeon message pops up indicating that was as far as we should have gone. Ooops.

Oh well cleared the whole place with a group of 49's and 50's in a LFD group. Not something I expected to ever happen.

Cipherr

Oh sweet jesus! Excuse the double post but I just saw this:

iW2fWEl.png

Guaahahahahahah FINALLY. Sorry but ninja looting needs to die. We can rebuild it, we have the technology. Ninjaing loot is sooooooooo 10 years ago at this point. I wonder why they took THIS damn long to roll this out.

Now if they could just fix the way multiple people cannot loot a shared corpse because of the "That item is busy" crap, all would be fine.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dunno where to post this, but is it okay if I make the Blizzcon 2013 thread? I'll post it one day before the event goes live.

edit: All right so I'm confirming it. I'm making the Blizzcon 2013 thread :3.

iW2fWEl.png

Guaahahahahahah FINALLY. Sorry but ninja looting needs to die. We can rebuild it, we have the technology. Ninjaing loot is sooooooooo 10 years ago at this point. I wonder why they took THIS damn long to roll this out.

Now if they could just fix the way multiple people cannot loot a shared corpse because of the "That item is busy" crap, all would be fine.

Curious how this'll be handled. Since it's not like each boss in a dungeon drops loot for your class and spec perhaps they'll just make it so any boss in the dungeon can drop any of the gear in that particular dungeon you can use. Maybe boost the percentage chance of gear dropping on the boss you're fighting? Or even just give a random loot bag at the end with a chance for one of the pieces of gear? I guess that seems more likely since Scenarios already do something like that. That would also prevent people from getting a piece of gear from the first boss and leaving and instead would promote people to stick through to the very end each time. I'm okay with this.

Dunno where to post this, but is it okay if I make the Blizzcon 2013 thread? I'll post it one day before the event goes live.

If you're asking if you'll be stepping on anyone's toes? No idea. But if you're simply meaning if it'd be appropriate to have a thread for it I would imagine there'd be no issue considering some of the threads that do get made. Besides, things like fighting tournaments, which seem to occur weekly, always have a thread for them so the once-a-year Blizzard event should be fine I'd imagine.

Haven't seen anyone else talk about wanting to make a thread for it though.

Kenai

Curious how this'll be handled. Since it's not like each boss in a dungeon drops loot for your class and spec perhaps they'll just make it so any boss in the dungeon can drop any of the gear in that particular dungeon you can use. Maybe boost the percentage chance of gear dropping on the boss you're fighting? Or even just give a random loot bag at the end with a chance for one of the pieces of gear? I guess that seems more likely since Scenarios already do something like that. That would also prevent people from getting a piece of gear from the first boss and leaving and instead would promote people to stick through to the very end each time. I'm okay with this.

I'm sure it will just be like LFR and check your spec against what drops. They might even be better about having bosses with something for every class in the future, who knows. They've also done "loot that can drop from any boss in this zone" back in FL so maybe they'll do it again.

I'm glad about it too. it always bugged the hell outta me that someone could basically ninja gear for their OS that they may or may not have had while you were there actually working for that gear for the immediate situation. If they want to gear their OS they should be on said OS until they can do spec selection stuff like LFR. Most 5 man loot was trivialized pretty quickly due to no new ones being released after launch, but it still set a bad vibe.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh, Blizzcon deserves for sure a thread. I was more thinking if anyone else had planned on doing it. I've already started on it (and I did last Blizzcons thread so...).

Kenai

Oh, Blizzcon deserves for sure a thread. I was more thinking if anyone else had planned on doing it. I've already started on it (and I did last Blizzcons thread so...).

Not to sound dumb, but isn't there a thread about making OTs for stuff somewhere? Or is it just for games?

Fjordson

That stupid fucking Oracles egg just gave me the Reins of the mother fucking Green Proto-Drake! After like five years! I'm on a goddamned hot streak.

vocab

We already got bonus rolls, and now they want people to have more shots at gear? Ugh. Why is the focus so much on loot? Is this more pandering to people who say they never get anything ever? I really worry about the future of this game when I read some of these blue posts.

I'm sure it will just be like LFR and check your spec against what drops. They might even be better about having bosses with something for every class in the future, who knows. They've also done "loot that can drop from any boss in this zone" back in FL so maybe they'll do it again.

I'm glad about it too. it always bugged the hell outta me that someone could basically ninja gear for their OS that they may or may not have had while you were there actually working for that gear for the immediate situation. If they want to gear their OS they should be on said OS until they can do spec selection stuff like LFR. Most 5 man loot was trivialized pretty quickly due to no new ones being released after launch, but it still set a bad vibe.

Well, the reason I'm suggesting they'll change it a bit from just doing a check on what that particular boss currently drops is because there's some heroics that only drop one thing from a particular boss. I guess it'd just be like how it is today that on bosses with no loot for you you'd get nothing and it's the same and then on the one boss you just hope that you get your piece of gear. But I sort of like the idea of just changing it to a loot bag at the end having a chance for gear only to help eliminate the people that drop after fighting the one boss they want gear from. Not that it's a huge issue this far into the expansion where I've shaman tanked the majority of a heroic when no tanks arrive after losing one but it's still something to consider.

Conversely they could also consider other methods to help keep people from ninja-ing gear by having it check if the gear is right for their current spec or below some ilvl threshold in comparison to currently equipped gear if spec matches. I know they already do something with rolls giving a roll +100 when need is rolled in some situations but it doesn't seem like it'd be a huge amount of work to put some checks in there to make sure that the people rolling need for items are the correct people for it and not just needing on everything possible to end up just selling it or whatever.

As noted, it's already so easy to get gear that I honestly don't think all that much about it, even when I was gearing up in Heroics. If I needed something and lost the roll to someone that didn't deserve it I might send a whisper and ask about a trade and explaining my reasoning but honestly it's such a minor setback that I just continued on and got something else to replace that slot.

Kemal86

It's only been 3 weeks since I unsubbed and the withdrawal is really setting in. I always feel like I've left something unfinished. This time I was working on the legendary quest, at the stage where you need the items from the back half of Throne of Thunder. Grr.

CassSept

http://i.imgur.com/iW2fWEl.png[IMG]

Guaahahahahahah [B]FINALLY[/B]. Sorry but ninja looting needs to die. We can rebuild it, we have the technology. Ninjaing loot is sooooooooo 10 years ago at this point. I wonder why they took THIS damn long to roll this out.

Now if they could just fix the way multiple people cannot loot a shared corpse because of the "That item is busy" crap, all would be fine.[/QUOTE]

Eh, who cares right now. Heroic dungeons feature no incentive as of now past first week or so of being 90. In the past at least some dropped mounts, now there's nothing. And I hope it stays that way forever. If they cave in and hc dungeons become important again in the next expansion I'm gonna slit my wrists.

mclem

iW2fWEl.png

This is good news on the whole, *buut* it makes things kinda awkward for all-guild runs for enchanting mats - you're dependent on the enchanter getting the loot.

lordmrw

the frustration of trying to cobble together transmog sets. There's always that one piece that refuses to drop no matter how often you try.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/sayewonn/WoWScrnShot_071613_102120-1.jpg

This is my current rogue set and the only piece needed to complete it is the belt but after trying for two months I've settled on that mismatched bastard.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q59/sayewonn/WoWScrnShot_072013_072101-1.jpg

My current paladin set. there's a helmet I want but it only drops from 25-man general vezzax in Ulduar and me and my two friends don't feel like going through all that every week. Not that it makes much difference for this one.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Eh, who cares right now. Heroic dungeons feature no incentive as of now past first week or so of being 90. In the past at least some dropped mounts, now there's nothing. And I hope it stays that way forever. If they cave in and hc dungeons become important again in the next expansion I'm gonna slit my wrists.

Thing is dungeons aren't for lvl 90s only.

CassSept

Thing is dungeons aren't for lvl 90s only.

Ah, my bad, that's true. When I hear "dungeons" I automatically think about heroics. Well, that does make sense.

Especially since nowadays leveling through LFDs is so fast you can quickly be undergeared. It's quite stupid how quick that is.

strafer

Yeah, Im leveling my Shaman only through dungeons this time. When I ding 90 im gonna rack up those golds in Northrend and every other place.

Ceebs

If they want to gear their OS they should be on said OS until they can do spec selection stuff like LFR.
I run them on my main spec and just ask in chat before I roll on offspec gear. It helps that I am doing this on my Shaman for mail gear.

Also what did they do to Sunken Temple?! It's a shadow of it's former self. That was one of my favorite vanilla dungeons.

Whooter

This is good news on the whole, *buut* it makes things kinda awkward for all-guild runs for enchanting mats - you're dependent on the enchanter getting the loot.

I would think all-guild runs would be done through the normal interface (with normal loot rules) and not through LFR/LFG. Wouldn't they?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Sunken Temple was probably the most confusing dungeon ever in vanilla. Great times.

mclem

I would think all-guild runs would be done through the normal interface (with normal loot rules) and not through LFR/LFG. Wouldn't they?

There is no 'normal interface', unless you count actually going through the portal of your own accord, which we haven't done for our guild 5-mans - outside of Challenge Modes, where it's required - in years. That said, perhaps them introducing one that worked similarly to the heroic scenario one would be smart... although I also kinda like the idea of simply forcing guild groups *to* go to the portal - they just need to make sure that that has rewards on a par with the LFG version (i.e. don't forget the bonus valor!)

strafer

This is it. I've finally made the decision to retire my main Warlock, and promote my Shaman that I currenly leveling.

We had some good times and gone through massive changes.

Straafer - Orc Warlock

2005 - 2013

350662-big_boss_salute.jpg

I'm an expert

Was definitely fine back then. We did it without wowhead, I swear!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom