• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LAIR thread

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dark10x said:
I would kill to hear what Julian and crew have to say about all this. I'm sure it's absolutely crushing for everyone on the team. We've read plenty of comments from folks like Ken Levine in regards to the amazing quality of Irrational's latest, for example, but I'd love to hear from someone who has essentially failed in the eyes of most.

I dunno, this just doesn't seem like your typical bad game. There seems to have been a lot of love put into it and everyone seemed so very excited.

It really all depends on the sales...if it meets it's target, they'll still be happy. Julian did say he "expected" the bad reviews simply because motion control is a new experience, etc. But if anything this'll make them try even harder next time...it's not like they're gonna give up making games.

jmd494

After finally starting to get used to the motion controls...I was about to move my score up to about a 7...but the damn TXH splash screen takes the score right back down to a 6. :lol What a pain in the ass.

Just joking of course

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Justin Dailey said:
After finally starting to get used to the motion controls...I was about to move my score up to about a 7...but the damn TXH splash screen takes the score right back down to a 6. :lol What a pain in the ass.

Just joking of course

They're hiding the loading of the game, but I would rather look at a loading screen than watch that damn video every single time! :lol

JdFoX187

Banned
Wollan said:
Controversy?
Eric was right:

172fs842424.jpg

Hopefully, Lair turns out to be a financial success.

Orobi

chubigans said:
Alright, two more videos uploaded! Here's the sea serpent battle (the colors are weird on Youtube for some reason):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YMyzJRwpsIU

And one of my other favorites, a bombing run over a mountain town:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PW6Me3BiZCU

That's all I'll upload since anything past that is getting into spoiler territory. So far it's a solid game, and I'm liking it quite a bit. :)

Wow at first video!
Wow wow at second!
Impressive graphic!

there was plenty of love put into the game -- into the procedural terrain algorithms, lod management system, and the many various brushes and effects. well, and the soundtrack, which is indeed stellar, as is the dynamic music.

trouble is, f5 didn't seem to put any love into the art direction, gameplay, or the proper application of their tech. they're still scene coders at heart, because the game design and mechanics are not only utterly derivative, their completely amateurish. the whole game is a case of "look what we can do, other developers!" and it is indeed impressive to folks with a dev background. to everyone else, it's a muddy, janky, unplayable mess.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ceb said:
:che'scousincry
:lol

I think the art direction isn't necessarily bad, it just is pretty opposed to the game's design...

"Find this tiny brown hut mixed in with all the undulating brown feces."

belvedere

Junior Butler
I just tried it, OMFG it fucking works!

It errored out when launching it the first time so I quit out and re-launched then the game started from the THX intro.

Details to come.

Rugasuki

Remote play is a very interesting feature. Would be great to access your library of PSN games anywhere. Makes me wish the new PSP model got bumped up to a 54g wireless chip instead of 802.11b.

belvedere

Junior Butler
You can use the FUCKING joystick! It works!

Do you know what this means?

I'm doing this locally (ad-hoc) someone needs to try this without being on the same LAN.

Can someone make a new thread about this? Wider ramifications and all that.

Edit: yes maybe it is jumping the gun if this only works on a LAN.

It mustn't have been intended. From the official boards:

Well, that is crazy...it does work. The only thing, it doesn't have a R2 or L2 button so you can't land. You also can't do any smash side manuevers so you lose in combat with that. Other than that, man, it is CRAZY to play this game remotely on the PSP. If they can make more games with this functionality and an edited control scheme for the PSP, well, then... just .... ya.

Saterium

Wow what the hell? That's a neat feature.. you'd figure they'd at least mention it

*EDIT* When I tried it over the internet I got a "Connection has timed out" message. Might just be local

Orobi

belvedere said:
Pics

Sorry for the quality I was urinating myself at the thought all this.

lairpsp1.jpg

lairpsp2.jpg

lairpsp3.jpg

:O

So, u can use an USB pad to move dragon and you can play on stream on PSP.
But why no mags, devsm site or pr said us that?

Saterium

Has anyone figured out how to do a 180 turn, or a speed up on the PSP? I've tried all the buttons =(

It seems to slow down a bit occasionally, but it's neat nonetheless

*EDIT* or stopping mid air..

Orobi said:
:O

So, u can use an USB pad to move dragon and you can play on stream on PSP.
But why no mags, devsm site or pr said us that?
Probably because they're undocumented features that don't entirely work past a novelty. The mags likely didn't know about it, and the devs/pr probably wouldn't go out of their way to mention a half-implemented feature.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Saterium said:
Has anyone figured out how to do a 180 turn, or a speed up on the PSP? I've tried all the buttons =(

It seems to slow down a bit occasionally, but it's neat nonetheless

I did a dash but have no idea how.

I'll keep messing with it.

Belfast

Segata Sanshiro said:
Probably because they're undocumented features that don't entirely work past a novelty. The mags likely didn't know about it, and the devs/pr probably wouldn't go out of their way to mention a half-implemented feature.

It is certainly very cool, but yeah, since there are control issues, I doubt it was meant to be anything more than a test. More devs need to be considering this, though! Streaming media content is one thing, but streaming games onto the PSP is tons more exciting to consider.

OT: Anyone else getting that Gods of Time banner ad? Good lord, Square-Enix needs to sue! :lol

iceatcs

Wow, looking forward to see how well with PSP screen.
Weird why the reviews never say about this feature. Lame!

Saterium

It's neat but it's pretty broken, I couldnt beat the general in the first level because you can't do the side-to-side thing properly..

Funny that it's in there, it shows that the whole remote play thing has alot of potential =P

Belfast said:
It is certainly very cool, but yeah, since there are control issues, I doubt it was meant to be anything more than a test. More devs need to be considering this, though! Streaming media content is one thing, but streaming games onto the PSP is tons more exciting to consider.

This is something along the lines of what Kojima talked about wanting to do with MGS4, where MKII's view would be transferred to the PSP screen.

iceatcs

Oneself said:
So that means... with the PSP slim, we'll be able to output Lair on a TV!!!

M3GAT0N!!!1!11!

Even better, You can play some PS3 games in your hotel tv with no need bring PS3 with you.

They should make a special Dualshock controller on the psp use mini USB.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
No other games work at the moment, just Lair. That is, all games on the HDD. Maybe it has to do with the fact that it's on a BD? Dunno.

Top Bottom