• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ketsui DS video coming on Friday, It came. (I came)

Lee N

Membre
Mihara (of Arika fame) mentions on his blog that there might be a new video and details of Ketsui DS coming this Friday (9/7), if they can get it done in time.

source

We have seen offscreen footage of a special download play version before, but maybe this means there's an actual game coming out. I sure hope so at least, the DS needs a good shmup. Colour me excited.

UPDATE: Video is online now, as promised:

http://www.arikaonline.com/download/movie/kds_prom20070907.mpg

duckroll

It's not quite a shmup. The original Ketsui in the arcades is a Cave shmup which is so goddamn intensive it couldn't be ported to the PS2. The DS version that is being worked on is more of a boss rush mode with score rankings I believe.

duckroll said:
It's not quite a shmup. The original Ketsui in the arcades is a Cave shmup which is so goddamn intensive it couldn't be ported to the PS2. The DS version that is being worked on is more of a boss rush mode with score rankings I believe.

...Oh.

Oh well.

Lee N

Membre
duckroll said:
The DS version that is being worked on is more of a boss rush mode with score rankings I believe.
Does that make it any less of a shmup? I really like Warning Forever, which is all bosses.

Anyway, hopefully we'll know more on Friday.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
huh -- so is this actually coming out? it's kind of bittersweet to get a ds boss rush instead of ketsui itself, but i guess i'm always up for a portable shooter. beggars, choosers, etc.

duckroll

Lee N said:
Does that make it any less of a shmup? I really like Warning Forever, which is all bosses.

Well, it makes it less of a shmup when it's just a bossrush component of an existing shmup, imo. But only time will tell what crazy Mihana is up to. :D

manzo

Mihara should get this shit out of DS and put it to XLBA or PSN. It's a shame to put such an awesome danmaku shmup to a DS. :(

Putting Ketsui to DS is like playing Mushihimesama on a mobile phone. :(

Saitou

Banned
As much as I like shmups, I do not like Cave shmups. Call me a heretic all you will, they're just not fun.

I need money to finance some Touhou homebrew ports v_v

manzo

Saitou said:
As much as I like shmups, I do not like Cave shmups. Call me a heretic all you will, they're just not fun.

They need to bring us more shmups to XLBA or PSN period.

duckroll

manzo said:
Putting Ketsui to DS is like playing Mushihimesama on a mobile phone. :(

Now that you mention it..... http://www.cave.co.jp/mobile/ge-sen/imode_02.html

mushi_plus_01.jpg
mushi_plus_02.jpg
mushi_plus_03.jpg

mushidx1.jpg
mushidx2.jpg
mushidx3.jpg
mushidx4.jpg

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

aku:jiki

Saitou said:

Knocking Cave but loving Touhou is like...man, I can't even be bothered to come up with something clever. That opinion is just dumb and insightless to me.

Saitou

Banned
aku:jiki said:
Knocking Cave but loving Touhou is like...man, I can't even be bothered to come up with something clever. That opinion is just dumb and insightless to me.
Well, Touhou is more than just the shmups. Most of the appeal comes from the endless fanworks. And the music. I find myself listening to Touhou mixes nonstop for the past four or five months now.

Besides, all the Touhou games are pretty different >_>

At least we can all agree that doujin shmups pale in comparison to Treasure shmups?

japtor

Lee N said:
depends on the rest of the game is.

in the case of ketsui, the rest of the game is great. i havent played any of the newer stuff (everything after espgaluda), but its the best of the older games.

anyways the video finally finished downloading. looks pretty nice, seems like all the patterns are there, some are running slower (but smoother), and looks like they added in some more boss parts to break for score attack purposes.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
day 1 purchase!

Any idea what said at the end of the video...?

edit: The end of the video mentions the Cave festival (Sept 23-24). Hopefully this will be playable there!

Bebpo

Banned
Looks really good for a port to the DS.

Shame it's only boss battles, but the boss battles are good times. I would say they should sell it at 1/2 price because you're getting 1/2 the game, but Arika needs all the money it can get so I'll pick it up at full price to support them and get some shmup goodness on the go.

thanks

Good shmup news lately! First the Triggerheart Exelica to XBLA and now more Ketsui ds stuff, I can't help but fap! Sometimes I really wish this genre weren't full of such crazy elitists, but still, sometimes, that's part of the charm. At least (I don't think) we don't have any PCB-only fans here. Then this thread would get fuckingwrecked. Personally I'm really really really excited for this, and in the video I didn't notice any slowdown, and call me crazy but I like the way it sounds (yes even being all tinny and shitty).

Edit: Anyone in Japan that could attend that Cave event? Looks like Ketsui might have another demo playtest thing there on the 23rd. Can anyone who actually is able to read/speak moonspeak confirm this?

Gwanatu T

Lee N said:

A shmup is a shmup to me, and this one looks better than Nanostray, so it's looking like a must for me. I'm a big Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga fan, among the other great shmups out there, so I'm stoked. Does this have online leaderboards? That would make it a totally complete package.

schild

Gwanatu T said:
Does this have online leaderboards? That would make it a totally complete package.

Joke post? Yea, it'll have leaderboards. Your name will be your friend code though, with no dashes, and the columns won't be labeled, so people will just have to figure out which is the score and which is the friend code.

Tain

The video looks as good as one would expect from Arika.

Mihara mentions that the bullet patterns needed to be slowed down and resized for the DS version. grargh real honest console port instead of this remix snarl.

And this could be one boss long and be better than Nanostray.

Peru

Let's keep the Nano hate under check, the first was flawed to unplayability in many ways but #2 really does look a whole lot better - problems solved, general improvement. Not that Nanostray and this are in any way similar beasts, so comparisons aren't relevant.

Dachande

Bollocks. Boss rush is boring. The real meat of the game is everything else. Bosses are trimmings, and nothing but trimmings is shite. Full game or nothing, thanks. Just make it for PSN or XBL or something, Jesus.

Tain

Let's keep the Nano hate under check, the first was flawed to unplayability in many ways but #2 really does look a whole lot better - problems solved, general improvement. Not that Nanostray and this are in any way similar beasts, so comparisons aren't relevant.

Oh, it's not hate. It's unbridled Cave (or semi-Cave) love. <3

Looks a bit like a fan game. Which I guess it sort of is at this point, except the fan in question is one of Arika's bigwigs. Still, that's a shit-ton of sprites. I'll probably buy this regardless.

Dachande said:
Bollocks. Boss rush is boring. The real meat of the game is everything else. Bosses are trimmings, and nothing but trimmings is shite. Full game or nothing, thanks. Just make it for PSN or XBL or something, Jesus.
Yeah, seriously.

ghibli99

Downloading... slowly. Come on...

Alright, just watched it. I can't imagine how I'm going to play this on the DS screen... is the 9/23 date its release date or just one of those "event/campaign" things?

Tain

Put the real game on a next-gen console plz, this looks excellent.

As much as I don't want to buy one, the Wii is the only platform out there right now (save PCs) that can display the game in its original resolution. That'd be nice.

I'd take it on whatever I can get, though.

Cave needs to do a better job getting their arcade efforts ported to home consoles. There are so many awesome Cave shooters not on a home console that it's fucking criminal. Cave hates money and they must hate their fans enough to deny what we want. Goddammit, now I've gone and made myself depressed. :(

RyanDG

Mr_Furious said:
Cave needs to do a better job getting their arcade efforts ported to home consoles. There are so many awesome Cave shooters not on a home console that it's fucking criminal. Cave hates money and they must hate their fans enough to deny what we want. Goddammit, now I've gone and made myself depressed. :(

Blame Sony. Sony doesn't want Ketsui on the PS3 because its not next gen.

ghibli99

RyanDG said:
Should be on XBLA or PSN... but then here we'd go with the "Cave is too proud to sell their shit for cheap" discussion. :(

I think I'll go home and play some DDPDOJ tonight.

RyanDG

ghibli99 said:
Should be on XBLA or PSN... but then here we'd go with the "Cave is too proud to sell their shit for cheap" discussion. :(

I think I'll go home and play some DDPDOJ tonight.

Yeah... My comment was really supposed to be sarcastic more than anything. Any time Cave ports are mentioned, someone always brings up the bad blood between Arika and Sony in regards to the PS3 port of Ketsui.

I've been on a bit of a Cave run lately myself. I've finally picked up the Dangun Feveron PCB that has been a sort of "missing" link of my collection. It remains my favorite Cave game to this day, despite the fact that there are other games technically superior to it.

Dancing men, disco, and shooters is just a combination meant for greatness.

Gwanatu T

schild said:
Joke post? Yea, it'll have leaderboards. Your name will be your friend code though, with no dashes, and the columns won't be labeled, so people will just have to figure out which is the score and which is the friend code.

I seriously forgot about the DS's gimped online stuff. Ugh, here's for hoping they can do something in that respect.

RyanDG said:
Maybe I would if Sony were the only option but they're not. Cave can easily create a compilation that even Sony would approve. Sony Japan is not known for denying games and since the PS3 is region-free I'd gladly buy the import of a Cave comp if one existed.

Honestly I blame Cave not being aggressive enough in supporting the home market.

Tain

Honestly I blame Cave not being aggressive enough in supporting the home market.
It's never been something they were into. Maybe they don't figure it's worth the expense.

Taito seemed pretty content publishing Mushi and Ibara, though, so I'm going to go ahead and blame Square for me not being able to try some form of Espgaluda 2.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Tain said:
It's never been something they were into. Maybe they don't figure it's worth the expense.

Taito seemed pretty content publishing Mushi and Ibara, though, so I'm going to go ahead and blame Square for me not being able to try some form of Espgaluda 2.

Espgaluda 2 is soooo awesome. Thank GOD SFSU's arcade has it <3

thanks said:
First the Triggerheart Exelica to XBLA

Never heard about this. I'll definitely check it out if I ever get a 360.

Anyways: I'm so happy this game is really being made. I forgot about that video a long time ago and figured it wouldn't happen. I know I'm going to be getting this game as soon as possible. Cave is probably one of my favorite developers and it's unfortunate (but logical) that most fans in the West can't play their more recent games (unless you're dedicated/insane enough to buy PCBs).

Tain

Espgaluda 2 is soooo awesome. Thank GOD SFSU's arcade has it <3

There was a period a month or so ago where I considered Espgaluda 2 being my first PCB purchase.

I can't lose $500 right now, though, despite it maybe being the best time to buy it. :(

Tain said:
I can't lose $500 right now, though, despite it maybe being the best time to buy it. :(
This is so sad, because Cave PCB prices weren't too bad until that one douche over at shmups started offering outrageous sums for complete kits. I thought that would just lead to a temporary spike, but things have only gotten crazier. I paid like, $275 for Ketsui 3 years ago, which was a really expensive board and an insane amount to spend on a game but it was honestly worth it. I think most other older Cave games were around $100-200, Progear about $300. Now Ketsui's selling for what? $1000? $1500? And the recent games aren't dropping in price as fast as they used to. It's fucking retarded. I wish all the former Neo Geo collectors would move on to something else already.

Maybe I should sell all my boards to them now but I'm too ascared the market will never drop (even though it certainly will) and I won't be able to buy 'em all back.

DS version looks cool, even though I don't dig boss fights much. It better get released.

Top Bottom