• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Battosaï HiME said:
Hi,

First sorry for my english, I'm French.

If you have Halo 3 and if you play it online, gamertags on your console will be deleted by Microsoft ! So be careful and don't play Halo 3 before 25th.

Even, if you play Halo 3 offline, change your console date, because when you'll sign in the next time, Microsoft will can see if you played it before, thanks to your gamercard.

Again, sorry for my english.
No. MS was only laying down the gauntlet if you played the closed beta or whatever the hell it was called when you weren't supposed to. The entire idea of punishing the user for a retailer breaking street is so hilariously evil only M$ could make it believable.

eso76

Cocopjojo said:
My advice to people who haven't played the game yet - don't read this:

Read it and i'm glad i did.

How would you rate Halo 1, 2 and 3 campaign ?
Memorable moments such as the landing on the cartographer from halo 1 ?

The boy was banned for H3 Epsilon, not Halo 3 retail. I received this email from Microsoft 1h ago, and they said to prevent people.

Maybe it's intimidate, but be careful ;)

rakka

Battosaï HiME said:
The boy was banned for H3 Epsilon, not Halo 3 retail. I received this email from Microsoft 1h ago, and they said to prevent people.

Maybe it's intimidate, but be careful ;)

ridiculous :p

has anyone actually had their account nuked yet?

Sanjuro

Anyone else have the Bungie Day 07 theme? I've been noticing that the tile for the marketplace all the way to the left some days has Master Chief and other days it has the default red background.....weird.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Opus Angelorum said:
Thanks.

Care to comment on the visuals, presentation and audio (without going into details).
Graphics (this isn't PLOT-related at all, but it was something that surprised me about the visuals):

The motion-blur is insane. Maybe I've just never noticed...? But I noticed it immediately tonight. It's implemented very well - better than any game I've ever played. It really adds a lot to the game. I recall one of Bungie's designers saying that motion-blur is going to be the next "lens flare" of gaming. I see why. Bungie outdid themselves with it. Who knew it could make a game look so good?

As far as actual graphics, they're good. Better than the Beta, but not jaw-droppingly better. I will say, however, that there were a few cutscenes that just looked fantastic. Actually, my jaw did drop on one or two. Not because there was something awesome going on, but just because of how good it looked.

The graphics were one of the only things that I had slight problems with, though. I'm sick of the clipping that occurs after a character's death. Why do their bodies become matterless objects after they die? Some characters would drop straight through a Warthog upon death. One time, I saw a dead body resting on top of a shrub and yet his body was perfectly flat, as though he were on the ground. I wanted to take a screenshot and edit in the word "FAIL". It looked retarded. Minor things like that happened, every once in a while. Not enough to ruin even a bit of the experience.

Overall, though, the graphics are very, very good. The game is just gorgeous. It amazes me that the guys at Bungie could have put so much detail into the environments. It's all really beautiful. Every level. It's not Gears-detailed, but it's beautiful in a different way, like folks have been saying all along. I'd take Halo 3's gorgeously lush environments over Gears' 10,000,000 polygon armour anyday.

My biggest problem (again, no names, events, etc.):
AI. It's improved, but not by a lot. There were quite a few times when I'd be standing against a wall, watching a Brute on the other side of the wall running INTO the wall. Just running, but never getting to me, because there was a bloody wall in his way. Eventually, he'd run around, or climb it. But watching him for the five seconds that he just ran was pretty disappointing. And marines are still not geniuses. I wouldn't let them drive my Warthog, and probably five or six times I'd hear "FRAG OUT!" and then I'd die. Lol. But again, none of that happened even near enough to ruin the experience.

I talk about the bad things, but I can't even begin to describe the good stuff. The bad things were tiny, insignificant things that would happen every once in a while. I wanted the game to be from the year 2021 when video games are ultra-advanced, and it just can't be like that. There are gonna be flaws. But thankfully, the flaws in this game are tiny. And when weighed against the rest of the game, they shrink into nothingness.

SanjuroTsubaki said:
Anyone else have the Bungie Day 07 theme? I've been noticing that the tile for the marketplace all the way to the left some days has Master Chief and other days it has the default red background.....weird.
IIRC they changed the marketplace background for everyone to be MC.

neoism

LukeSmith said:
I'd just look at his Campaign Game History, which records the duration spent on each level for a given session.
Do you have to be on live at the time of playing to get the stats or can I play system link games then get on live after. The first time through I'm playing co-op system link. but I want all my stats. If not I'll play on through live.

I got the Friend request :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Tieno

It pains me to know pirates will be playing this game a week before I get to...ah well.
Cocopjojo said:
Graphics (this isn't PLOT-related at all, but it was something that surprised me about the visuals):

My biggest problem (again, no names, events, etc.):
Cocopjojos_Avatar.jpg

Sounds very promosing!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
eso76 said:
How would you rate Halo 1, 2 and 3 campaign ?
Memorable moments such as the landing on the cartographer from halo 1 ?
Yes. Better than that. I have a few moments in my mind right now that are just... stunningly fun. Imagine the SC landing, except with a thousand more enemies, and... gosh, I just can't even explain it. :lol It's got memorable moments, just like in Halo 1, except with the power of the 360 behind it.

Halo 1 was great, the repetitiveness of the levels was outweighed by fun encounters held within those levels. Very few flaws in the campaign of this game.

Halo 2 felt rushed and unfinished (I guess because it was). It was loads of fun, but something always felt off to me. The flaws in this game were just that it wasn't that memorable.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Tieno said:
It pains me to know pirates will be playing this game a week before I get to...ah well.
I bought it? From a guy who bought it from Microsoft? And I'm still buying the Legendary Edition (I've already paid it off)?

Also, someone PM me with what the friend request said, please.

homez99

cjelly said:
UK GAFers:

Someone on my Friends List has got the game. He said he just walked in to Argos and they had it behind the counter (like they do with most their games).

Just FYI.

That's all I needed to hear "grabs jacket".

Tieno

Cocopjojo said:
I bought it? From a guy who bought it from Microsoft? And I'm still buying the Legendary Edition (I've already paid it off)?

Also, someone PM me with what the friend request said, please.
That wasn't directed at you, sorry. You bought it fair and square.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Tieno said:
That wasn't directed at you, sorry. You bought it fair and square.
Ah, okay.

Yeah, but at least the pirates won't be playing online with GAFfers once it's released. That's where the real fun is going to be.

I just checked my Live inbox and I got the friend requests, too. Lol. Don't worry guys, even if that IS what happens (or if it isn't), those are such general statements. People have been speculating that sort of stuff for years.

Argos in the UK seem to have broken the street date.

One in a town about a mile away is selling it. Luke and Co better not send out the ninjas before I get there.

MrDaravon

This is probably answered somewhere, but can you hop in a 4-player online co-op game w/two users on split screen? Like if I had two friends playing splitscreen at their place, and they wanted to play with me online for 3 player, can you do that or no? Also was the earlier question answered about will any cutscenes be missing if you play co-op, like the opening in Halo 2 was? Very vital questions!

PaulRTC

SailorDaravon said:
This is probably answered somewhere, but can you hop in a 4-player online co-op game w/two users on split screen? Like if I had two friends playing splitscreen at their place, and they wanted to play with me online for 3 player, can you do that or no?
Yes you can.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
SpudBud said:
GAME LENGTH SPOILERS.
9 hours on normal

Post this yesterday....

Calm Killer said:
My friend (on my friends list) got a copy today and has been playing it all day.

Gameplay time spoiler.
He started playing at 12:30 today and at 8 he was on the last level. So that is 7 hours and 30 minutes of straight gameplay. He is playing it on Normal the first time through so I would expect Heroic to be longer.

I really just want to kill him and take his copy.

neoism

The sad thing is about the GT Spoiler is, we will probably get spoiled by some asshat at the midnight launch.So anyone who hasn't gotten it yet should bring there ipods or something. My GameStop had 150 people for Halo 2, we will more than likely have more this time. I actually seen pics of the last level before I played Halo 2 and I still didn't now about playing as the A>>>>>>... looking at the pics I was like, why is the HUD purple:lol :lol :lol :lol

neoism said:
The sad thing is about the GT Spoiler is, we will probably get spoiled by some asshat at the midnight launch.So anyone who hasn't gotten it yet should bring there ipods or something. My GameStop had 150 people for Halo 2, we will more than likely have more this time. I actually seen pics of the last level before I played Halo 2 and I still didn't now about playing as the A>>>>>>... looking at the pics I was like, why is the HUD purple:lol :lol :lol :lol

Next day pick-up > Midnight pick-up

H3ADG3AR

Got the dreaded FR, what an absolute twat. Doesn't bother me but it pisses me off how someone wants to ruin it for so many others.

So I guess Argos is worth checking out, will pop in later. Thanks for the heads up.

The Crawf

H3ADG3AR said:

So I guess Argos is worth checking out, will pop in later. Thanks for the heads up.

Seems a fax has been sent to all Argos stores to tell them to stop selling it.

I have 2 close to where I live and they both say it will be available on the 24th!

H3ADG3AR

The Crawf said:

I have 2 close to where I live and they both say it will be available on the 24th!

Cheers man, saves me the journey.

Gav

The Crawf said:

Ah damnit, i was gonna go check after work at 5, but theyll be long gone by then, hehe.

Zezboob

I am pretty sure that Stinkles already said something about it two weeks ago, but the rumour is getting persistent and more important. Is there any risk about playing the final game before its release date ?? (ban from live, etc.)

darkressurection said:
So, are we still doing ok after last nights incident?
They've assaulted us with new topics, bombed our sanctuary with bold spoilers, and snuck into our homes and knifed us in the back. I'm not sure what comes next, spoilers delivered through singing telegram or hijacking the airwaves.

Son of Godzilla said:
They've assaulted us with new topics, bombed our sanctuary with bold spoilers, and snuck into our homes and knifed us in the back. I'm not sure what comes next, spoilers delivered through singing telegram or hijacking the airwaves.
I vote for singing telegram.

Zezboob said:
I am pretty sure that Stinkles already said something about it two weeks ago, but the rumour is getting persistent and more important. Is there any risk about playing the final game before its release date ?? (ban from live, etc.)
Seems to be no punishment playing the final release, but people who downloaded the inhouse testing copy from a MS/bungie gamertag get teh banzors!

Atilac said:
Is the dreaded FR that bad? is it his motto or name its self that is bad?

It's pretty bad. Both motto and gamertag. I had managed to delete and block communications with the original message, but when I went to go to my friendlist, Xbox Live couldn't put 2 and 2 together and cancel the friend request so I got spoiled.

PaulRTC

Atilac said:
Is the dreaded FR that bad? is it his motto or name its self that is bad?
Name itself. I don't know how I could explain how bad it is without giving some kind of detail.

And yeah, they really can't ban you for playing the retail copy early - anyone not familiar with the game and its release date could easily pop into a store and buy it innocently, a banning couldn't be justified.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Flesh Into Gear said:
I ordered it. Next day shipping was only 15 bucks. It came out to the same as buying it in a store. Now I just have to wait and see if they ship it. If they give me some sass about not being able to sell it yet I'll just cancel.

I ordered it as well. Heres to hoping I get it tomorrow!

homez99

cjelly said:
UK GAFers:

Someone on my Friends List has got the game. He said he just walked in to Argos and they had it behind the counter (like they do with most their games).

Just FYI.

I just have to say you are amazing good sir, look what I just got:

1406960609_9ac5b546a9_o.jpg

I walked for an hour to reach my nearest Argos store in Canterbury. They didn't have it behind the counter so I panicked, but I went to a special games argos catalogue, found the Halo 3 number, put it in the machine, it said 1 left. So, I scribbled the number down quickly and ran to the till, waited 15 minutes to order, it ordered all normally, and had to wait at the collection point for 2 minutes.

Thank you so very much! This is a warning to all Gaffers on my friends list, please be careful when going to my gamer profile, I don't want you to be spoiled by my current playing section or the achievements. Moreover, I won't spoil anything on these boards unless asked to, I am a HUGE Halo fan like all of you so I will use complete caution when talking about the game from now on. Thanks again cjelly, I owe you at least 50 fonejacker impressions now!

Brb, off to finish some fight or other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom