• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Benedict Cumberbatch SW Rumor [Debunked]

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...erbatch-the-villain-in-star-wars-episode-vii/

At the very least, a juicy new rumor is making the rounds this week about Cumberbatch reteaming with Abrams for Star Wars: Episode VII. ScreenCrush.com was first with the Cumberbatch rumor, with BadassDigest.com chiming in with a few details about the possible role:

“I’ve heard the role he’s up for is that of a bad guy, almost certainly a Sith. And it’s a major role, one that will continue throughout the whole new trilogy.”

According to the report, Star Wars is the reason why Cumberbatch dropped out of Guillermo del Toro’s Crimson Peak late last month.

There’s absolutely no confirmation on Cumberbatch’s role in Star Wars, but it’s not the world’s biggest surprise, considering the actor’s previous collaboration with Abrams, as well as his own fondness for the franchise.

“They were a huge part of my background, and my upbringing,” Cumberbatch told Total Film earlier this year about his affection for Star Wars. “I was much more connected to [Star Wars] as a kid, in the way that a lot of kids are because it’s immediate storytelling, very simply – a beautifully, outrageously simple narrative in a way – and a wonderful three-act melodrama, opera. And I loved them. I really, really loved those films and I always wanted to be Han Solo.”

Star Wars: Episode VII is reportedly eyeing a Christmas 2015 release.

tumblr_mn34arsHUm1qi2832o1_500.jpg

It's such obvious casting. Id be surprised if he wasnt at least considered

I'm not a fan of Abrams but this is a far better choice than being in a Guillermo del toro movie. It's freaking Star Wars

And he was by far the best thing about into darkness. Too much charisma, the rest of the cast felt like dead weight when they shared scenes

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I like the guy and all, but let me just say that him as Kahn was one of the world's biggest miscastings.

I hope this guy doesn't become mark strong or Rufus Sewell or some shit though. Can never be cast as a protagonist (aside from Sherlock of course)

overcast

It's gotta seperate itself from Star Trek. I love Cumberbatch, dude always puts on a good show. He can be menacing as hell judging by Trek, but they have to find somebody else.

akira28

huehuehuehue

I guess he could play one of those Stickuphisassian Chiss types. Admiral Coldballs or something.

Is Ben Affleck being courted to direct Justice League?
Is Ewan McGregor returning as a force ghost in Ep7?
Is James Cameron only making Avatar films for the rest of his life?

Are Latino Review, Comicbookmovie.com and a slew of other movie blog sites not providing actual sources beyond anonymous emails a reliable barometer of actual things that exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridge's_law_of_headlines

This isn't a rant about recent threads or posts, so much as something that regularly grinds my gears regarding journalism - but more specifically, internet geek blog sites that don't practice even the basic tenets of journalism. There is no fact checking, source-filtering or even a quick reading of what original articles are saying before these shitty hit-counters run to publish the flimsiest articles with the interest of garnering clicks.

There are fewer and fewer sites I visit because of this cavalcade of click-happy bullshit the majority of these sites have turned into.

I remember when guys like Latino Review actually had a pretty decent batting record with their sources. These days, they want to make you watch their embarrassing Kickstarter videos in order to hear which geek staff member heard from a guy he doesn't know that Tim Curry is playing Top Cat for Mike Nichols.

That one might be true. You never know.

Based off one article taking Cameron's quote of 'I'm in the Avatar business' out of context, then at least 30 different sites running the same bullshit story, with nobody actually reading the original article which quoted him.

It's exactly the kind of shit I'm talking about.

Aiii

So not worth it
This reads like a twitter feed update.

Also,

darth_vs_luke.gif

Best Dad Ever....

Why are they putting quotes around text in text bubbles?

This is the weirdest thing, what an odd choice to have text bubbles, pointing exactly at the mouth of a person and still put quotation around the text.

Not sure how I would feel about this, if it turned out to be true.

On the one hand, unf, cheekbones, squee.

On the other, I would have to watch a not original trilogy Star Wars again.

Liamario

Banned
This has been debunked, but that doesn't mean anything when we're talking about a jj Abrams movie. Combine that with how desperate they are to keep the secrets of a new Star Wars movie; I think it's safe to say that anything can happen.

Kuraudo

Banned
Why are they putting quotes around text in text bubbles?

This is the weirdest thing, what an odd choice to have text bubbles, pointing exactly at the mouth of a person and still put quotation around the text.

And punctuation outside of the second quotation mark!

Derwind

Don't worry Lucas can't hurt us anymore. No more.... ;_;...

G-Fex

I think i'm all Cumberbatch'd out.

I need to see ST:ID Again cause honestly I didn't like the first viewing. Not saying Mr. benedict dude is the reason why I dislike it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom