• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Xperia Z1 officially announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReaperXL7

Damn I wish sprint would get these phones. i have heard allot of good things about the Xperia line, and this looks pretty fantastic. I may just have to snag one and get it unlocked depending on price, and timeframe.

catmincer

Damn I wish sprint would get these phones. i have heard allot of good things about the Xperia line, and this looks pretty fantastic. I may just have to snag one and get it unlocked depending on price, and timeframe.

It's because Sony don't bother making CDMA phones. I don't blame them either. Barely any networks still use CDMA.

DBT85

Wanted to Z when it launched but was still contracted up, contract allows for an upgrade a few weeks ago and I've been waiting patiently for this.

Pre ordered with EE in the UK yesterday. £36 a month, £89 up front.

Got the White one. Like white phones, had the HTC One X in white and the w810i back in the day.

Plus I get a Smart watch 2 with the pre order to sell if I want.

Cannot wait, will go nicely with my Tablet Z.

Also think this thread can just stay as the OT :)

vivftp

Anyone want to share anything they know about a Canadian release, by all means go ahead :)

Also, I wonder if those rear mounting cases they sell for the external lenses are also waterproof.

Sky Chief

original.png

This is a picture of the Z Ultra, not the Z1.

Xamdou

Really great phone: 20 megapixel camera, 5" 1080P screen, waterproof, sd card slot.

If the next Iphone does not have any one of these, then goodbye 4S and hello Sony Z1!

DBT85

Really great phone: 20 megapixel camera, 5" 1080P screen, waterproof, sd card slot.

If the next Iphone does not have any one of these, then goodbye 4S and hello Sony Z1!

Aren't the chances of an iPhone having a Micro SD slot fairly miniscule?

Xamdou

Aren't the chances of an iPhone having a Micro SD slot fairly miniscule?

It is, but at this rate Apple is lagging behind specs and feature wise compared to the competition. I considered the HTC One but it has no micro sd card slot either.

vivftp

I suppose at this rate the Honami Mini will be a CES announcement. It is a shame it wasn't ready now as it would have been perfect timing just before a new iPhone announcement. Still, going to be interesting to see what they've got planned there. I'm quite sure the Z1 will impress some of my iPhone loving friends, but I know they prefer smaller phones.

Also, does make me wonder if the 2014 flagship will continue this same design trend, or if they'll go down a different path. It seems that every year Sony has a new design language, so very curious to see if they're going to stick with the omni-balance design or not.

Anyways considering how quickly the Z1 will be out in certain regions, I imagine we should be getting official reviews very soon. Can't wait!

catmincer

I suppose at this rate the Honami Mini will be a CES announcement. It is a shame it wasn't ready now as it would have been perfect timing just before a new iPhone announcement. Still, going to be interesting to see what they've got planned there. I'm quite sure the Z1 will impress some of my iPhone loving friends, but I know they prefer smaller phones.

Also, does make me wonder if the 2014 flagship will continue this same design trend, or if they'll go down a different path. It seems that every year Sony has a new design language, so very curious to see if they're going to stick with the omni-balance design or not.

Anyways considering how quickly the Z1 will be out in certain regions, I imagine we should be getting official reviews very soon. Can't wait!

I keep forgetting about Honami mini.

That'd be a great replacement for my V actually. I think 4.3" is the ideal size for a phone screen.

Sarquiss_

Beautiful phone. The only thing I do not like (And this goes for most Android devices) is that the android back, home etc buttons use the screen instead of the large empty bezel at the bottom. I like the way Samsung uses capacitive buttons .

I know it is just a small nitpick but this has always seemed strange to me. Why don't more companies use capacitive buttons at the bottom of the phone?

Cannot wait to see it in person. Hopefully, the screen looks great like the Ultra....

DBT85

Nice, Just realised that my EE pre order qualifies for their Double Data offer they are running at the moment, so instead of 1.5gb I get 3GB. That'll do.

I wish it had less bezel on the bottom.. but other than that, good specs and look.

the larger bottom belez is to match the top, and in so doing allows for the 3000mAh battery.

vivftp

Not only that, the larger top bezel is needed for the larger camera sensor and its lens.

Really it is barely larger than the Z and it is packing far superior specs.

For UK GAF.

O2 are giving away the new QX 10 detatchable camera with Z1 pre orders.
EE are giving away the Smartwatch 2 with Z1 pre orders

Holy shite that's a great deal, hopefully they do something like that here. I'll add them to the OP, do you have pricing details that I can just copy over?

northead

Beautiful phone. But so was the Z in January.
We need to see how the screen and the camera perform.

Also... please, stock Android.

DBT85

Holy shite that's a great deal, hopefully they do something like that here. I'll add them to the OP, do you have pricing details that I can just copy over?

Give me 5 mins, ill get some bits and update as I get them

No further details from O2 yet. Even the link from their main site with this graphic isn't working
O2.co.uk - Not working yet

EE offers for 24 month contracts. All data amounts will be doubled automatically on select 4G phones, of which the Z1 is a member. That offer expires October 30th

EE.co.uk

£26 P/M 500MB Unlimited calls/texts £239.99 Phone - £863.99 total
£31 P/M 1GBMB Unlimited calls/texts £189.99 Phone - £933.99 total
£36 P/M 1.5GB Unlimited calls/texts £89.99 Phone - £953.99 total
£41 P/M 2GB Unlimited calls/texts £29.99 Phone - £1013.99 total
£46 P/M 10GB Unlimited calls/texts £9.99 Phone - £1113.99 total
£51 P/M 20GB Unlimited calls/texts £9.99 Phone - £1233.99 total

ash_ag

Looks premium. The ad was very Sony-y too. Honestly though, I'm more eager to see updates on their mid-budget line. It's clear this is where the market walks these days, and they shouldn't take it lightly.

onken

I'll never buy a phone that big. Bring out a smaller version with top specs and I'll be there.

DBT85

Cheers mate, added to OP.

O2 page is now working

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/phones/sony/xperia-z1-black/

Plan costs are worked out differently to EE. You pick a data/mins/texts option, then a phone payment option.

4G plans

So the "Airtime" options for Data, Calls and Texts are

£22 - Unlimited texts and calls - 1GB data - £528 total
£27 - Unlimited texts and calls - 5GB data - £648 total
£32 - Unlimited texts and calls - 8GB data - £768 total

Add that to one of the Phone Payment plans

£0 today - 24 payments of £25 p/m - £600 total
£69.99 today - 24 payments of £20 p/m - £549.99 total
£189.99 today - 24 payments of £15 p/m - £549.99 total
£309.99 today - 24 payments of £10 p/m - £549.99 total
£639.99 today - 24 payments of £0 p/m - £639.99 total

Not sure how they justify charging you MORE if you buy it outright than if you pay it off over 2 years at variable rates but whatever.

Added totals to the EE prices further up too.

So the cheapest deals both do at 1GB.

On EE you can get onboard starting at £933.99 total for 24 months (will actually get your 2GB of data as they double it, if you only want 1GB then £869.99 is your lucky number.)
On O2 you can get onboard starting at £1077.99 total for 24 months

tino

Banned
Wait, the Xperia Z only came out on TMo USA July 10? Looks like I have to wait forever for the TMo version of the Z1.

Wait, the Xperia Z only came out on TMo USA July 10? Looks like I have to wait forever for the TMo version of the Z1.

Should be much faster this time.

In other news, the current camera pics don't use finals software. It will be about a month before the team is ready to push down final camera software and around 2 months until 4.3 is ready.

I'll never buy a phone that big. Bring out a smaller version with top specs and I'll be there.

Apparently there's a Z1 Mini in the pipeline. Its what I'm waiting for too, all of these Android phones are getting way too big and all of the smaller 4.3" phones are mid-budget options.

DBT85

EE just called as my card was blocked.

Paid on the different card and asked about the release date.

She said they only got briefed this morning and her email said launch on the 20th.

Bundy

Banned
Have the Z, will upgrade to the Z1.
Z is the best smartphone I've ever had.
So can't wait for their next flagship smartphone ;)

EE just called as my card was blocked.

Paid on the different card and asked about the release date.

She said they only got briefed this morning and her email said launch on the 20th.

They receive their first shipment from the distributor on the 16th, so add time for processing and the 20th sounds about right.

Arondight

No further details from O2 yet. Even the link from their main site with this graphic isn't working

EE offers for 24 month contracts. All data amounts will be doubled automatically on select 4G phones, of which the Z1 is a member. That offer expires October 30th

EE.co.uk

This makes me so depressed. Why can't NZ get such great deals ARGH!. Well to be fair, NZ doesn't get anything in the first place. Not even a price has been announced here yet. Camera sounds like a much better deal than the watch though the watch kind of looks like a fun idea to play around and show.

Kogepan

Have the Z, will upgrade to the Z1.
Z is the best smartphone I've ever had.
So can't wait for their next flagship smartphone ;)

I have the Z and was looking forward to upgrading to the Z1. But physically its alot bulkier (170g vs 147), so now I'm on the fence. Will wait to try it out in the stores first.

Hrothgar

EE.co.uk

Those prices, ouch! Are 4G data bundles much more expensive than 3G?

I got the Z in February with a two year 1.5GB (3G) contract €25 p/m, €60 up front for the phone, €660 total.

Brera

Banned
Sony are the only ones making me jealous of being on iOS.

If they could be hacked to run iOS, i'd be there day 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom