• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

komaruR

yarrrr!
0x8q.jpg

Zenaku

Mine was at 14% when I checked a minute ago. Assuming it continues at an average speed, I have around 3hrs 40minutes to wait. =[

test_account

XP-39C²
Yes. Being able to save almost 50% over importing is one thing I love about Nintendo's system. Sadly Sony doesn't make it as simple; MH4 would've cost £60 on the Vita, as opposed to the £40 it cost me on 3DS.

Get past the region locking problems and the 3DS is the best choice for importers as far as value goes.

EDIT: Haven't checked my % yet... Might do in a minute.
Does seller really charge that much more for the pre-paid PSN cards?

Shurayuki

It depends and you kinda have to see it in relation. Most places overcharge pretty badly but you can get O.K. prices. Like a 5k Yen card for ~43€, the exchange rate means 5k would normally be ~38€ so you pay like 5 too much, but if you think about it the equivalent card here is the 50€ one so it's kinda accaptable. Oh well, was nicer when you could pay with credit card I guess (read you could do? didn't have a PS then).

50% argh...

Yeah I'm somewhere around 50% too, minna ganbatte!

Zenaku

Yes. A 10000 yen card on Play-Asia actually costs £77 at the moment, so if you can get one of them that's only £7.70 per 1000 yen (which would have MH4 cost only £46.20, as opposed to £38 on the eShop), but that's only with a 10000 card.

If you were to get six 1000 yen cards it would cost £72.84 (could get as low as £60 if you find the right sellers on eBay), while a 5000 yen and 1000 yen combination would be £50.67.

The prices have dropped slightly since the last time I bought a PSN card, but it's still a decent markup. Even worse if the conversion rate is bad at the moment you want to buy a game.

Around 90% here.

Would a circle pad pro be a good investment for this or are the controls decent enough?

I'm used to playing with the claw method on a PSP.

test_account

XP-39C²
It depends and you kinda have to see it in relation. Most places overcharge pretty badly but you can get O.K. prices. Like a 5k Yen card for ~43€, the exchange rate means 5k would normally be ~38€ so you pay like 5 too much, but if you think about it the equivalent card here is the 50€ one so it's kinda accaptable. Oh well, was nicer when you could pay with credit card I guess (read you could do? didn't have a PS then).
Thanks for the info. Is this a standard thing for stores in Japan or is it just for sellers who ship worldwide? In Europe, PSN cards usually cost the same as the value of the card, noe extra charge. Makes sense that its more expencive if the sellers charges extra money for it rather than just charging the value of the PSN card. I was thinking if it was possible to buy those cards directly from someone who didnt charged extra for it.

EDIT:

Yes. A 10000 yen card on Play-Asia actually costs £77 at the moment, so if you can get one of them that's only £7.70 per 1000 yen (which would have MH4 cost only £46.20, as opposed to £38 on the eShop), but that's only with a 10000 card.

If you were to get six 1000 yen cards it would cost £72.84 (could get as low as £60 if you find the right sellers on eBay), while a 5000 yen and 1000 yen combination would be £50.67.

The prices have dropped slightly since the last time I bought a PSN card, but it's still a decent markup. Even worse if the conversion rate is bad at the moment you want to buy a game.
I see, thanks for the info. I see why they are more expencive if the sellers charge extra for the cards instead of just charing for the value on the cards.

Zenaku

Around 90% here.

Would a circle pad pro be a good investment for this or are the controls decent enough?

I love the CPP with 3G; I set the secondary shoulder buttons to control the camera (left/right) so I can keep my thumbs firmly on the face buttons.

Is this a standard thing for stores in Japan or is it just for sellers who ship worldwide? In Europe, PSN cards usually cost the same as the value of the card, noe extra charge. Makes sense that its more expencive if the sellers charges extra money for it rather than just charging the value of the PSN card. I was thinking if it was possible to buy those cards directly from someone who didnt charged extra for it.

It's re-sellers, yeah. On ebay, or other sites, or wherever, I've yet to find anyone selling codes internationally at conversion price.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's re-sellers, yeah. On ebay, or other sites, or wherever, I've yet to find anyone selling codes internationally at conversion price.
Then i understand why its more expencive :) Pity that there arent any options to buy directly from som japanese store, like Amazon or something. These are codes that can be sent on e-mail after all, so there is no risk of the item getting lost in the mail.

Sarcasm

Around 90% here.

From what I seen and touched..you don't really need the addon. Game has sort of a soft lock on that when used faces camera to the monster.

Zenaku

Then i understand why its more expencive :) Pity that there arent any options to buy directly from som japanese store, like Amazon or something. These are codes that can be sent on e-mail after all, so there is no risk of the item getting lost in the mail.
Not sure about other sites at the moment, but Japanese Amazon is the same, sadl. Not even sure if the re-sellers there send via email or not, but the pages say "not shipped outside Japan".

If Sony just got rid of region restrictions for cards, it'd be wonderful.

Shurayuki

Yeah, you can buy (digital) US cards from amazon.com just fine , don't know why it's difficult for other cards. I guess usually the stores don't get digital codes in the first place and have to type it in? (or rather scan it?). Meh.

From what I seen and touched..you don't really need the addon. Game has sort of a soft lock on that when used faces camera to the monster.

Why they didn't release a demo is beyond me (okay okay more work and stuff), they shall never be forgiven.

Of course I'll forgive them the second the download finishes...

Zenaku

Download is at 40% for me, a little above the 37% based on the first estimate. Should finish a little over 2 hours from now if all goes well.

With my copy shipped at noon yesterday (2am right now), I just have to wait.
And let me tell you that seeing everyone download the game now is an excruciating pain.

It's so easy to just press a button and get it right now...but that would be spending money needlessly, so I'm not doing it. While hurting real bad on the inside.

Shurayuki

Download is at 40% for me, a little above the 37% based on the first estimate. Should finish a little over 2 hours from now if all goes well.

Good things are always such a long wait, but it'll be worth it! *hang in there cat poster*

I'm really wondering how lag is going to be for online play, would be sad if it's too much to play multiplayer, but on the other hand I played solo 95% of my MH life...

My downloads done! See you online MH gaf!

Nice! Enjoy!

Yeeesss, there mine is too, gonna add the Friend codes from OP and PM Oichi mine...it's 4081-6450-5195

Happy Hunting everyone.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
My Guild Card and KechaWacha armor :)

I dove into the expeditions last night to grind for some KechaWacha material and boy, some of the stuff you can find there is pretty awesome once you get the rarity level up. I maxed the rarity level out and ended up with four excavated items: a heavy bowgun that does 400 damage, a bow with similar damage, and two torso items that are a base 20 defense... when the highest armor I can make right now is only at 18! And one of the torso items actually has a gem permanently slotted in. :eek:

Zenaku

Good things are always such a long wait, but it'll be worth it! *hang in there cat poster*

I'm really wondering how lag is going to be for online play, would be sad if it's too much to play multiplayer, but on the other hand I played solo 95% of my MH life...

Nice! Enjoy!

Yeeesss, there mine is too, gonna add the Friend codes from OP and PM Oichi mine...it's 4081-6450-5195

Happy Hunting everyone.

Yeah, this'll be my first actual experience of MH multiplayer altogether, and as I have a crappy connection anyway I'm a bit weary or lag, but hopefully it'll be fine.

I'll add your FC when I finish downloading (my 3DS is downstairs, next to the router). Happy hunting!

EDIT: Congrats on finishing the download too, Mailenstein.

Yeah, this'll be my first actual experience of MH multiplayer altogether, and as I have a crappy connection anyway I'm a bit weary or lag, but hopefully it'll be fine.

I'll add your FC when I finish downloading (my 3DS is downstairs, next to the router). Happy hunting!

EDIT: Congrats on finishing the download too, Mailenstein.
Thanks mate! Hope you will join the fun soon!

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I've added everyone who has PM'd me with their friend code to my friend list, let's hunting!

Shurayuki

I had to get this one due to the hilarious design. :D

Good choice, hunting 大成功!

I've added everyone who has PM'd me with their friend code to my friend list, let's hunting!

Wai!
You kinda scared me off using the Bug-stick talking about it's high skill ceiling hehe, I just know I'll end up using Longsword all the way in the end....

あとから was stuck at 1% for an hour so I just switched to いますぐ :/

Yeah I can never tell when it downloads, when my D/L crashed I left it closed for "download later" mode but it didn't do a thing.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Ill do that in a bit also.

---

Man this seriously has got to be the BEST MH game so far. Just the fact alone that the terrain now is truly uneven is a huge game changer and looks fantastic too. Actually fell asleep while playing last night lol. Was already worn out from having to mine up a stupid amount of crystals in FFXIV before picking up my copy of the game at midnight.

---

Learning how to use the shield axe currently, interesting weapon. And doing my usual of running around in leather armor for the harvesting up +1. Couldnt decide to go with male or female so just went with a female character again. Since usually we get shafted with the male character armor designs somewhere along the line. D: Which is what always caused me to switch in older games.

The cat cook makes me want to break out my wok and make fried rice lol dat subliminal marketing.

Nisa65

Got my Goa Magura LL and a bunch of other MH4 related goodness this morning. I live in a small town in Kagawa prefecture which is in the middle of fucking nowhere and there was still a queue of about 20 odd folk outside my local Geo store at 8am. God knows what the queues were like in the big cities.

Time to transfer all my stuff from my OG 3DS to my new LL and get hunting.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Got my Goa Magura LL and a bunch of other MH4 related goodness this morning. I live in a small town in Kagawa prefecture which is in the middle of fucking nowhere and there was still a queue of about 20 odd folk outside my local Geo store at 8am. God knows what the queues were like in the big cities.

Time to transfer all my stuff from my OG 3DS to my new LL and get hunting.

I had ordered one of those pouches too but its yet to arrive D: How odd considering it was from the capcom store so would have thought it would have came with the 3DS. Also the slide pad from amazon isnt here yet. Wonder if I got stuck with a backorder or something. Wouldnt be surprised if so haha

Shurayuki

Ill do that in a bit also.

Learning how to use the shield axe currently, interesting weapon. And doing my usual of running around in leather armor for the harvesting up +1. Couldnt decide to go with male or female so just went with a female character again. Since usually we get shafted with the male character armor designs somewhere along the line. D: Which is what always caused me to switch in older games.

The cat cook makes me want to break out my wok and make fried rice lol dat subliminal marketing.

Went with female too, the male armor usually looks mighty and cool, but the female has more interesting variety. (Also completely forgot about the Zelda thing, oh well, female Link heh).
The hairstyle choices in this game are great.

Just used the cook for the first time, was just about to comment about how cool it is. Also I never knew 3G already made it possible to eat food after accepting a quest :eek: Here's to me never paying attention, awesome!

Zenaku

Finished!

Just gonna add a few more FC's before starting now.

I'll be going with a female character too. The one thing that upset me about female armour though was the lack of full-face helms. Some of them looked awesome, but more female helms have an open face. If the bow wielder on the main site is female as I suspect though, that's at least one cool armour set.

Sometime I like the face and hair being uncovered though...

It's in the first post now anyway, but I'll put my FC here again.

3609-1093-1753

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just woke up. Going to the store to pick up my copy now. :D

Top Bottom