• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Shurayuki

Im not sure about the bug staff I havent powered mine up yet as found some other types of items that increase different stats. But wanted to see what else was available first. Then will spend more time with the staff and mess with the juicing up the bug from there.

Wonder if you can reset its stats if you dont like how it turned out.

That charge axe though is great, the added bonus of being able to dizzy enemies too is pretty huge considering how many free hits you can start landing after that. Just the thing that takes a bit of work is managing the charges and switching back to the sword & shield mode to fill it up again. Seems like yellow fills it up half way and red will fill all charges. Really interesting weapon. Like how they gave it the "lance slide" too with how you side step with the sword and shield. Useful for dodging right after you load up the charges for the axe mode.

Being able to reset the staff (or at least the bug) would be a nice idea, yeah, we'll have to see about that.

Absolutely, having a cutting weapon that can dizzy is pretty nice. Having sidestep rather than rolling is great too, prefer that.
If they would add the spacing options from Longsword and the jump attack from Staff it would be my dream weapon, but probably insanely overpowered.

Haha sure, it does seem to cover a lot of space, new opposition for the GS for most "hated"? I can trip people up with LS quite well too though.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ah thanks, I'll just have a lookout on future streams, then. :p

Since right off the start granted you cant do anything, the blacksmith has a category for the cats equipment.

Being able to reset the staff (or at least the bug) would be a nice idea, yeah, we'll have to see about that.

Absolutely, having a cutting weapon that can dizzy is pretty nice. Having sidestep rather than rolling is great too, prefer that.
If they would add the spacing options from Longsword and the jump attack from Staff it would be my dream weapon, but probably insanely overpowered.

The sidestep seems to be just for the sword & shield mode. When you are in the axe form its all rolling am pretty sure.

Busaiku

Can anyone verify if this drains battery at the normal 3DS game rate?

For most games on 3DS XL, at 4th Brightness, WiFi on, max sound, no Power Saving, I get at least 5.5 hours.
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate on the other hand takes my system down at 4.5 at the most.

It's super annoying, easily the worst thing about that game.

So anyone manage to test it out yet?

Parakeetman

They had quite an expansive 3G section so they should be good in the future, yw.

egg carrying missions will be the end of me, these garguan things, god they hate me...

Gotta love those magical boulders that appear out of nowhere blocking the easy route back. D: Never without fail. At least no pigs. Yet...

Anybody know a good starter set that has an attack boost? The Jaggi set doesn't seem to have one this time around.

Not sure if you would consider this starter but the kukku set also has attack up + fire element attack up, negative side is water res down. Just got to peek at it now since took one down earlier. Still am running alloy armor so I suppose you can consider that early on.

Shurayuki

Gotta love those magical boulders that appear out of nowhere blocking the easy route back. D: Never without fail. At least no pigs. Yet...

Yeah, last egg dropped right in front of zone1 *oldmanscreamingatcloud*

Oh god the boars, bane of my existence, crocodiles always leaped in front of my tranqs too...

wasnt there supposed to be some big monster hunter announcement today as well?

Was there? I never checked the event schedule in the D/L section or the website.

Parakeetman

Yeah, last egg dropped right in front of zone1 *oldmanscreamingatcloud*

Oh god the boars, bane of my existence, crocodiles always leaped in front of my tranqs too...

Was there? I never checked the event schedule in the D/L section or the website.

I wonder if these are back in the game. Since I loved the gunlance set they would make. Looked so stupid, but to me thats what was so awesome about it besides if you maxed the damned thing out and shoved gunlance specific gems into it.

Rhenoplos.png

Shurayuki

I wonder if these are back in the game. Since I loved the gunlance set they would make. Looked so stupid, but to me thats what was so awesome about it besides if you maxed the damned thing out and shoved gunlance specific gems into it.

They're in, there's a 1Star online quest to hunt 'em!

lol the stupid egg quest

I wasn't paying attention and used too much stamina for the final stretch, dropped the egg literally 2 feet in front of the box.

Yeah, happened to me when I couldn't get there fast enough, did the same thing as you with the next egg but luckily in the same screen they Gagua are in.

Zornica

Banned
I wish I was better with the slash axe. seems like a really nice addition... but I didn't get the tutorial at all..
maybe I am still to tired to read.
am I supposed to main sword mode and switch to the axe when it's charged up, decharge and back to sword? or just whale like a maniac with the axe? also... how do I uncharge the axe? I got it to work like once? Should be R+A if I remember correctly.

panda21

Is postage services open in Japan on Saturdays? I ordered one on eBay and still don't have any tracking or shipping info.. I'm hoping they didn't think they could just go out to the shops and grab 6 copies no problem...

Shurayuki

I wish I was better with the slash axe. seems like a really nice addition... but I didn't get the tutorial at all..
maybe I am still to tired to read.
am I supposed to main sword mode and switch to the axe when it's charged up, decharge and back to sword? or just whale like a maniac with the axe? also... how do I uncharge the axe? I got it to work like once? Should be R+A if I remember correctly.

Yes main would be sword mode most likely, The more you use sword mode the more it charges up (yellow->red). If you use Charge (R+A) while you have that it will give you "Bin" (those capsules, yellow is half and red is full it seems).

Then you switch to Axe mode and you get the additional effects (at least the A move, if the explosions hit the head it stuns).

Need to get better with it myself.

Parakeetman

Is postage services open in Japan on Saturdays? I ordered one on eBay and still don't have any tracking or shipping info.. I'm hoping they didn't think they could just go out to the shops and grab 6 copies no problem...

How much did you pay for it? Since if that doesnt go through I actually have one unopened 3DS copy for sale. As mentioned earlier in the thread.

Generally the post office is closed for sending off stuff on saturdays cept for certain larger branches which have a 24H window or weekend hours. One example being Shinjuku.

Someone please tell me the game magically looks much better on the 3DS's screen (some of the areas I've seen look good, but others look terrible because of the textures)...

What's the frame rate like? Looks incredibly smooth in some areas.

GeekyDad

watching the videos, the graphics looks really good given the scope of the game

Yup. Not sure what some folks were expecting from the 3DS, but yeah, they look damn good and seem to run smooth. Wish the areas were seamless, but the loads seem quite fast.

Shurayuki

The Graphics are good enough and there are nice little details like flowers and leaves here and there.
Sure the ground textures aren't amazing, but they're fine, only problem is the drawing distance for the textures, so everything farther than 5m away from you has clearly lower texture resolution.
Original 3DS here btw, don't know how it holds up on XL.

Also the 3D in this is really really cool, loved it in 3G and love it here, even though I have it on the lowest level.

Zornica

Banned
anyone up for a little armor farming later?
according to the wiki I should go for the カブラ set.
doesn't sound like a great set... but better than nothing I guess...

The Graphics are good enough and there are nice little details like flowers and leaves here and there.
Sure the ground textures aren't amazing, but they're fine, only problem is the drawing distance for the textures, so everything farther than 5m away from you has clearly lower texture resolution.
Original 3DS here btw, don't know how it holds up on XL.

Also the 3D in this is really really cool, loved it in 3G and love it here, even though I have it on the lowest level.

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be depth of field, which is used heavily throughout the game and feels kinda weird most of the time.

Parakeetman

anyone up for a little armor farming later?
according to the wiki I should go for the カブラ set.
doesn't sound like a great set... but better than nothing I guess...

I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be depth of field, which is used heavily throughout the game and feels kinda weird most of the time.

What kind of stats are you looking for anyways?

Shurayuki

Haha maybe, but I generally dislike DoF effects anyways so it would make sense that I don't like it then!

And you kinda have to read what you do in menus, I almost shot my D/L Felyne into the sun via rocket (dismiss), though seeing that is worth it (you get another chance to cancel).

Parakeetman

defence mostly... but something like evading distance and dodge would be really nice ofc.
but I haven't seen any armor with that yet.

If you really want defense go after that flying bug boss. Not sure what you are currently wearing but out of the story quests in SP thats the one that seems to have the most def currently and its not that hard to take down. That alseltas thing. Its what Ill be going after in a bit. Though I generally have a habit of upgrading weapons over armor first since am capped out with the charge axe have started moving onto upping my def now.

They're in, there's a 1Star online quest to hunt 'em!

Have not done any of the online stuff yet so will take a look after I make a full set of the bug junk. Thanks for the info!

Wow, just defeated the
Great Jaggi
, leaped into him using the insect staff with R+B, then he starts to shake and I press X, but he was on the edge of the map and threw me into the other map. =(

What does the R shot of the insect staff do?

Zenaku

Wow, just defeated the
Great Jaggi
, leaped into him using the insect staff with R+B, then he starts to shake and I press X, but he was on the edge of the map and threw me into the other map. =(

The R shot marks a part of the monsters body. R+X then sends the bug to extract from that point.

Shurayuki

^ Ah kids too fast these days!^^

Wow, just defeated the
Great Jaggi

Not too sure about advanced applications (apparently monsters like DosJagi can flinch if you shoot em with it), it's apparently mainly to mark the target for your hunting insect.

Don't worry I always did that manually too lol.

The R shot marks a part of the monsters body. R+X then sends the bug to extract from that point.

^ Ah kids too fast these days!^^

Not too sure about advanced applications (apparently monsters like DosJagi can flinch if you shoot em with it), it's apparently mainly to mark the target for your hunting insect.

And here I was doing it manual, mixing the R+X with my combo so I didn't miss the target.

Edit: It's official! I love the insect staff! There's no monster I'm not going to mount. <3

Shurayuki

And here I was doing it manual, mixing the R+X with my combo so I didn't miss the target.

Edit: It's official! I love the insect staff! There's no monster I'm not going to mount. <3

It's so great, it feels unfair.

Only negative thing is the sharpness for me, but that's probably because it's still the starting weapon. Bug is fully powered up with fire though, seems potent.

Zenaku

I like the Bug Staff, but switched to the Charge Axe since I could power it up decently. I plan on switching between multiple weapons though, using different ones when I re-challenge monsters, so I'm just using a bow at the moment to get a Bunaha set (still using the default armour), then I might test out the Slash Axe (blog says it's easier to use now thanks to new moves).

If anyone wants to test out online in a while with a basic quest (maybe Dosjaggi) just to test for lag I'll be free once I get the last 5 wing materials.

I like the Bug Staff, but switched to the Charge Axe since I could power it up decently. I plan on switching between multiple weapons though, using different ones when I re-challenge monsters, so I'm just using a bow at the moment to get a Bunaha set (still using the default armour), then I might test out the Slash Axe (blog says it's easier to use now thanks to new moves).

If anyone wants to test out online in a while with a basic quest (maybe Dosjaggi) just to test for lag I'll be free once I get the last 5 wing materials.

I'm doing the weapons test quest, just give me a heads up when you're ready.

Shurayuki

Yeah getting the materials for the staff was a bit of a pain, the levels after 2 are a bit easier though, now at 3 and level 4 finally branches out, with different insects!

Man finding the aruseltasu in the second area took longer than killing it -_-

Yeah maybe we should try out lag, i think i went online just now, so many options there.

Zornica

Banned
I'd love to join too.
just pick a time, so I can get ready

edit:
I am ready, lets try the great jaggi? I need some parts anyway...

Zenaku

Yeah getting the materials for the staff was a bit of a pain, the levels after 2 are a bit easier though, now at 3 and level 4 finally branches out, with different insects!

Man finding the aruseltasu in the second area took longer than killing it -_-

Yeah maybe we should try out lag, i think i went online just now, so many options there.

I'm assuming one of the materials needed for level 2 is from Kucha, so I'll probably use the staff more after upgrading then.

I was 1 short of materials for the Bunaha set, so I'll be doing a quick run to get the last 1; shouldn't need to bother with poison after I get one, so if you're all free in 10-15 minutes we could try either Dosjaggi (Great) or Alseltas, whichever you all prefer.

Shurayuki

^hah, thats great, wonder how much that is...can it do 500k d/l?

---

So we're a few ppl here and i have no idea who everyone is, but em, let's go lol

im LoVendoR

should've locked it x.x

Zenaku

^hah, thats great, wonder how much that is...can it do 500k d/l?

---

So we're a few ppl here and i have no idea who everyone is, but em, let's go lol

im LoVendoR

should've locked it x.x

I'm Ren in there, the purple one.

Didn't see any noticeable lag during it; nothing that'd hinder play anyway.

Creating a room with "gaf" as the password would be good, I think.

Shurayuki

yah I have no idea what happened and who was who, but at least the lag was ok

i made a new room with "friends play", pass 6666 (pass needs to be numbers, i don't think ppl will barge in or we can hide passes in mail tags)

also i was hit in the face by other hunters a lot lol
chat character limit sucks for talking english
any others still around? zornica?

Zenaku

yah I have no idea what happened and who was who, but at least the lag was ok

i made a new room with "friends play", pass 6666 (pass needs to be numbers, i don't think ppl will barge in or we can hide passes in mail tags)

also i was hit in the face by other hunters a lot lol
chat character limit sucks for talking english
any others still around? zornica?

I don't recall getting hit too much... :x Well, you did shoot me at the end...

I can read Japanese if you find the character limit annoying.

Shurayuki

I don't recall getting hit too much... :x Well, you did shoot me at the end...

I can read Japanese if you find the character limit annoying.

i tried, did it hit? lol

only leader can put quests?

forgot the map gah!

----

okok, so the online actually works pretty well!

alseltas threw me out of the zone when i rode it heh

Top Bottom