• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Halo 3 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StUnNeR H2K

MaX_PL said:
really you see me but not the 3 or 4 kids above who are complaining about BTB lag? strange.

Was refering to what I first saw when I came on this morning... If it makes you feel better I'll play the internet forum police and list everyname of every person that has mentioned multiplayer since the thread was officially changed to SP/Campaign only. Oh and do you have anything else you would like to cry about today?

JdFoX187

Banned
StUnNeR H2K said:
Was refering to what I first saw when I came on this morning... If it makes you feel better I'll play the internet forum police and list everyname of every person that has mentioned multiplayer since the thread was officially changed to SP/Campaign only. Oh and do you have anything else you would like to cry about today?
seriouslyava.jpg

Now let's all relax and play nice.

Prine

Banned
story question

when they jumped through the portal, where did they end up? It didnt look like a Halo

So confused

StUnNeR H2K

Prine said:
story question

when they jumped through the portal, where did they end up? It didnt look like a Halo

So confused

The portal takes you to the Ark. The Ark is located outside of the Halo's blast radius. Thus if you are on the Ark and activate the rings from the Ark you are safe from its blast. The Ark can also be viewed side by side with the Ark from the Bible if you want... it is a safe place away from the Flood and the blast of the rings.

Edit: What Stinkles said too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Prine said:
story question

So confused

It wasn't. It was something else.
A Halo manufacturing facility. Outside of the Galaxy. One of the marines says, "Up there, in the sky... is that...? And it's the Milky Way. Viewed from a very long way away

StUnNeR H2K

GuessWho said:
am i the only who has no idea what the story is about?

Probably not. If you haven't played the early games you might be a bit lost. Read the game manual though to get a review of what you have missed.

Stinkles said:
A Halo manufacturing facility. Outside of the Galaxy. One of the marines says, "Up there, in the sky... is that...? And it's the Milky Way. Viewed from a very long way away

thanks for clarifying that comment, I figured thats what the soldier was referring to.

GuessWho

StUnNeR H2K said:
Probably not. If you haven't played the early games you might be a bit lost. Read the game manual though to get a review of what you have missed.
I played all three games, yet i still have no idea what the flood/giant plant/halo/ark are. I don't even know what the covenant plan's are. Destroy earth? Or that prophet guy? what's the deal?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
GuessWho said:
I played all three games, yet i still have no idea what the flood/giant plant/halo/ark are. I don't even know what the covenant plan's are. Destroy earth? Or that prophet guy? what's the deal?

Don't worry about it. Just shoot them in the face.

Stinkles said:
That one quote just realy helped me understand a hell of a lot more, shame it wasn't so clear in the game :(

StUnNeR H2K said:
Anyways... back on subject with Campaign/SP.

For those that have read Ghost of Onyx and finished the fight on Legendary...
What do you think the chances are of the planet Chief and Cortana are coming upon is Onyx? I've seen it heavily discussed in some places that the planet could possibly be a forerunner planet from the markings you could make out on it. If this has been discussed already in here feel free to slap me.

I don't see how it could possibly be Onyx. That planet is contained within a dyson sphere and this is clearly a planet in space orbiting a bluish sun. No, this is where the remaining forerunners reside

Prine

Banned
Stinkles said:

Ahhhh riiight,

The Halo that popped up at the end, that was the first Halo from CE??

I always thought the forrunners were human, activated the Halo's and wiped themselves out

Prine said:
Ahhhh riiight,

The Halo that popped up at the end, that was the first Halo from CE??

I always thought the forrunners were human, activated the Halo's and wiped themselves out

Master Chief is an evolved form of human. He's been bio-engineered into something else and apparently that makes him a Reclaimer - Forerunner. Out of all the races that the Forerunners tried to save, we were apparently one of the last they discovered and apparently they thought very highly of us. I wonder if they planted the seeds in our DNA for us to eventually develop into Forerunners

I wonder if groups within Oni/UNSC or Doctor Halsley are aware of more than they are letting on. Were Spartans possibly enhanced based on Forerunner information that they may have uncovered?

Prine

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Master Chief is an evolved form of human. He's been bio-engineered into something else and apparently that makes him a Reclaimer - Forerunner. Out of all the races that the Forerunners tried to save, we were apparently one of the last they discovered and apparently they thought very highly of us. I wonder if they planted the seeds in our DNA for us to eventually develop into Forerunners

Awesome, reading that made me smile :)

so the Halo that popped up at the end was a new Halo
??

My Halo copy does not play the end cinemeatics, had to watch on youtube :(

StUnNeR H2K

DoctorWho said:
I don't see how it could possibly be Onyx. That planet is contained within a dyson sphere and this is clearly a planet in space orbiting a bluish sun. No, this is where the remaining forerunners reside

After doing a bit of research I see it's more than likely not Onyx. If it was a dyson sphere it would be much larger. As for it being the remaining forerunner civilizations... possibly. It's outside of the reach of the Halo blast so it's possible. Would open up the door for some more explination as to what exactly happen, and how the whole process of the rings being built along with the Ark started.

StUnNeR H2K

Prine said:
Awesome, reading that made me smile :)

so the Halo that popped up at the end was a new Halo
??

My Halo copy does not play the end cinemeatics, had to watch on youtube :(

Yes, to replace the one Chief destoryed in Halo 1

StUnNeR H2K said:
Yes, to replace the one Chief destoryed in Halo 1

There is that one scene in Halo3 with all the sentinels being sent off to perform some task; I'm going to assume they were being sent to work on the new instillation 04. It's interesting to see how automated the whole system really is and it makes you wonder how many forerunners really had to stay behind when the array was finally fired. I'm sure there were a few living scouts that were stranded like described in the terminals but if the array could be fired from the Ark than I would think that a great deal of Forerunners survived. They weren't being selfish either as they tried to save most of the sentient life they could find on The Ark.

If you are still confused by the story in Halo, it really is a retelling of Noah's Ark from the old testament. Flood enter Milky Way galaxy and begin to infest, Forerunners build an Ark and try to save Sentient life, Forerunners use Array to kill everything else in the galaxy. Ok, that last part doesn't really match up with anything in Noah's Ark.

Prine said:
ok then...

i dont understand how the general (black guy) was needed to activate the halo

Only a Reclaimer or a Redeemer can activate Forerunner technology. Like I said, the forerunners seemed to put a great deal of stock in us. Forerunners do not equal humans but I do think they altered are DNA and instructed their machines to recognize our commands. None of the Covenant species have this ability even though the Forerunners saved them from the original array blast as well.

StUnNeR H2K

Prine said:
ok then...

i dont understand how the general (black guy) was needed to activate the halo

The covenant can't activate the rings. Only those who are forerunner can, and humans are. Thus why Johnson makes the comment "cant start your own party", cause the prophet needs a human to activate the rings.

Now I'm not sure if it's officially true that humans ARE forerunner or they were just choosen by the forerunner. From what I understand humans are forerunner.

NJ Shlice

DoctorWho said:
Only a Reclaimer or a Redeemer can activate Forerunner technology. Like I said, the forerunners seemed to put a great deal of stock in us. Forerunners do not equal humans but I do think they altered are DNA and instructed their machines to recognize our commands. None of the Covenant species have this ability even though the Forerunners saved them from the original array blast as well.

However, a Spartan III in Ghosts of Onyx was not titled Reclaimer

NJ Shlice

StUnNeR H2K said:
Now I'm not sure if it's officially true that humans ARE forerunner or they were just choosen by the forerunner. From what I understand humans are forerunner.

I'm going to go with CHOSEN.

The Forerunners found Earth very late in the Indexing process that the Librarian was performing. But we are "Very Special" and worth the last minute Portal Construction.

NJ x Falkor said:
However, a Spartan III in Ghosts of Onyx was not titled Reclaimer

I was just thinking about this. The IIIs were developed with a different process. I wonder if that changes anything or if there is simply something special about John.

NJ Shlice

DoctorWho said:
I was just thinking about this. The IIIs were developed with a different process. I wonder if that changes anything or if there is simply something special about John.

Then it would have to be something special about John, Avery, and Miranda

NJ x Falkor said:
Then it would have to be something special about John, Avery, and Miranda

John is the only one called a Reclaimer. All humans can activate Forerunner technology but John is the only one referred to as a Reclaimer. If you check out the artbook, Master Chief is in his own separate category of human.

cluto

DoctorWho said:
John is the only one called a Reclaimer. All humans can activate Forerunner technology but John is the only one referred to as a Reclaimer. If you check out the artbook, Master Chief is in his own separate category of human.
I'm almost 101% positive Miranda is referred to as a Reclaimer as well. (In Halo 2)

StUnNeR H2K

NJ x Falkor said:
I'm going to go with CHOSEN.

The Forerunners found Earth very late in the Indexing process that the Librarian was performing. But we are "Very Special" and worth the last minute Portal Construction.

I'll go with CHOSEN, but in the game if I remember correctly 343 does call someone else reclaimer besides John. One of the final lines he does say to John also before he goes nuts is "You are forerunner."

Exarchos said:
I'm almost 101% positive Miranda is referred to as a Reclaimer as well. (In Halo 2)

Yeah, I need to go back and take a look at some cutscenes again. In the artbook they refer to chief as "the Reclaimer" instead of "this Reclaimer" so that is why I'm assuming he is the only once.

zam

DoctorWho said:
Actually Miranda was also referred to as a Reclaimer. At the end of Halo 2, when Tartarus is trying to get Miranda to put in the Index, Guilty Spark says "Careful! This reclaimer is fragile" or something along those lines

StUnNeR H2K said:
I'll go with CHOSEN, but in the game if I remember correctly 343 does call someone else reclaimer besides John. One of the final lines he does say to John also before he goes nuts is "You are forerunner."

I think he was talking about John specifically. All the IRIS and Terminal stuff pretty much confirm that Forerunners aren't humans. They discovered us late in their process to preserve life in the Milky Way.

zam said:
Actually Miranda was also referred to as a Reclaimer. At the end of Halo 2, when Tartarus is trying to get Miranda to put in the Index, Guilty Spark says "Careful! This reclaimer is fragile" or something along those lines

You're right.

"Please - use caution! This reclaimer is delicate."

Story stuff:
I wasn't expecting Bungie to answer all the questions raised, but it felt like virtually none had been answered in the end.
What is the link between Forerunners & Humans? Why are humans needed to operate the Halos?
Why are there no surviving Forerunners on the Ark?
What's the point of the Ark & the Halos being landscaped?
Do the other 5 halos contain Flood specimens, ready for some meddlers to release?
What exactly was Truth's motivation? Did he really believe in the Great Journey, or did he just want to use the Halos to kill everyone outside his own followers?

Good game though. :)

NJ Shlice

Dr Zhivago said:
Story stuff:
I wasn't expecting Bungie to answer all the questions raised, but it felt like virtually none had been answered in the end.
What is the link between Forerunners & Humans? Why are humans needed to operate the Halos?
Why are there no surviving Forerunners on the Ark?
What's the point of the Ark & the Halos being landscaped?
Do the other 5 halos contain Flood specimens, ready for some meddlers to release?
What exactly was Truth's motivation? Did he really believe in the Great Journey, or did he just want to use the Halos to kill everyone outside his own followers?

Good game though. :)

- No one really knows exactly, but the Forerunners "Chose" the Humans for some specific reason. But no one really knows what exactly constitutes a Reclaimer. We are needed to fire the Halos because the Forerunners gave us that responsibility.
-No one know why there are no surviving Forerunners on the Ark
-Landscaped Halos? Possibly to replicate Forerunner homeworlds so that the Forerunners that lived on the Rings to study the Flood would feel at home. Maybe to see how The Flood reacts in different environments.
-The other rings probably contain more flood.
- I guess no one really knows. I believe he was true in following the Great Journey as a Religious obligation.

TheWolf

Banned
humans are pretty much
forerunners
, or very close descendants of them. i thought that much was clear at the end of Halo 2 when the Covenant was surprised that humans on Earth. i think the whole thing was supposed to be like the Covenant worshiped the forerunners who were basically humans, the race they also hated. IRONIC HUH.

NJ Shlice

TheWolf said:
humans are pretty much
forerunners
, or very close descendants of them. i thought that much was clear at the end of Halo 2 when the Covenant was surprised that humans on Earth. i think the whole thing was supposed to be like the Covenant worshiped the forerunners who were basically humans, the race they also hated. IRONIC HUH.

but due to the Terminals, we find out that the Forerunners basically stumbled upon Earth very late in the Indexing process that the Librarian was in charge of. The found us, deemed us worthy and built a last-minute portal (in africa) to the Ark. And sent ALL OF US to the Ark before the rings fired.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I could be wrong, but I figured that ALL humans were called Forerunners by them, and those going up against them like the Chief and Miranda were called Reclaimers, trying to reclaim Earth from the Flood?

Madman said:
So why is Ghaleon bailing? I really don't now what reputation he is refering to (presumably being an Xbot) but I never felt anything negative about him.

I doubt that it has anything to do with being an Xbot per se. Maybe he's going into Internet Hermit mode because of some real-life personal relationship issues? Wife/GF threatening to leave if he doesn't quit spending all that time on games or boards? Maybe he's found someone he likes and wants to shed his "reputation" as a nerd/geek? Perhaps his doctor told him that he needs to exercise more. Who knows. I just doubt it's GAF related.

TheWolf

Banned
well, Gravemind did tell the Chief he will not forgive him for his father's sins or something, so i assumed they were directly related.

JdFoX187

Banned
TheWolf said:
well, Gravemind did tell the Chief he will not forgive him for his father's sins or something, so i assumed they were directly related.
"Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness for father's sins cast to his son."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom