• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD4 PS3 Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Deus Ex Machina said:
One of the devs debunked this rumor on the COD4 forums saying that the builds that were being compared between the two were using different visual specs at the time and that the PS3 version was using the latest build. Supposedly both will look identical though. At least that's what he/she said.
awww, and the sony guys were getting so hyped for this.

Greg

AltogetherAndrews said:
Watching people duke it out over which console version looks the best is a bit like watching a couple of bums fight over a shopping cart.
The smellier one with more facial hair always wins.

You be the judge. :lol

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
What's going on with this forum at the moment... Stop investing so much emotion in huge corporations. It's unhealthy.

C4Lukins

ThirstyFly said:
Drats. Haze looks kind of... not as good as CoD4.

Yes but Haze looks considerably better then Killzone 2, so it all evens out. On the other hand Unreal Tournament looks better then all of them. This implosion needs more lairs of discussion and less resistance to the truth.

I maintained a straight face while typing that I swear.

Back on topic those COD4 pictures look awesome.

GreekWolf

AltogetherAndrews said:
Watching people duke it out over which console version looks the best is a bit like watching a couple of bums fight over a shopping cart.
That's a strange analogy. Is your flat in Harlesden?

C4Lukins

rothbart said:
I sense sarcasm or stupidity... sometimes I get the two confused, can I get a ruling here? :lol

It is an ancient MS defense force mind trick of pitting similar Sony properties against each other while the 360 stays safe from harm. Oh shit I gave it away.

Brashnir

JCBossman said:
I'd wait for retail, didn't the developer say COD3 was going to look IDENTICAL?

Developers say a lot of things. Especially if saying the opposite would potentially harm sales.

jet1911

JCBossman said:
I'd wait for retail, didn't the developer say COD3 was going to look IDENTICAL?
I remember earing things like "more light source" :lol

But COD3 and COD4 are not developed by the same company so it's not a fair comparison.

Truespeed

Brashnir said:
Developers say a lot of things. Especially if saying the opposite would potentially harm sales.

Thing is, he doesn't know COD3 was developed by Treyarch. But then, are you surprised?

JCBossman

Banned
Well the stills look pretty close, but i'd like to see the PS3 version in motion, but it's looking pretty solid, hopefully Burnout Paradise can follow suit:D

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
yes, it does - it does tend to add some free AA and it can also make lighting look more impressive than it is in game. Not that COD4 is a bad looking game of course.

Anyways, here's a picture from Resistance - great looking game, but not as good looking as the shot.

305463679_3ebac6d3d3_b.jpg

i really enjoy seeing what effects i can get though :D

:lol :lol :lol

What? I looks better than that on my TV.

That pic's a mess.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
New screens look hot.
Game is gorgeous and definitely the best fps console game coming out this year imo. Bravo IW once again.

DCharlie

Banned
That pic's a mess.

i posted to show that taking shots from a screen can affect the AA and the perceived lighting.

And IMO it looks more REALISTIC than that section does in the actually level. Significantly so IMO. But hey - for the pictures of COD4 , i think the colours look all to cock in the first shots.

Rolf NB

JCBossman said:
I STILL have my doubts on how that whole thing is going to turn out, but COD4 is SOON, so all things will be revealed.
We know. Did you expect to surprise anyone with that?

Raistlin

DCharlie said:
i posted to show that taking shots from a screen can affect the AA and the perceived lighting.

And IMO it looks more REALISTIC than that section does in the actually level. Significantly so IMO.

I'll have to load up my copy, but I recall it looking better (and that was AFTER seeing this pic in the original thread).

While yes, photo's give extra AA ... that is not the most important part of an image IMO (and to be honest, Resistance has pretty good IQ compared to most games anyway). I would agree that the lighting does give a certain ambiance to this shot, but its at a pretty terrible cost.

While the saturation of the buildings in the background might make sense as far as real-world 'HDR' goes ... that muting shouldn't be in the entire pic. The contrast and black level are utterly annihilated in the foreground. It looks like someone took the picture, and then jacked up the brightness while pooing all over the contrast.

Basically the benefits this shot received are outweighed by the faults. At least IMO.

Calen

Ok, so, yeah, I'm one of the Infinity Ward programmers. I won't even pretend to be objective about our game, because all of us at IW love it (duh). That said, I see some questions coming up repeatedly in various threads...

1) We don't support keyboard and mouse on PS3, sorry.

2) No rumble (DS3) support - we found out about it too late to add it to this game. Hopefully next time around, though!

2) Yes, the PS3 version does support voice chat (bluetooth and USB mics supported.)

3) There are minor visual differences between the 360 and PS3 versions, due to the platforms being extremely different from an architectural standpoint. This results in us having to make different tradeoffs on both platforms to hit our framerate targets. They're very nearly identical, but you'll be able to pick screenshots in which both versions are "clearly" the better version. They're as close as we could make them without going completely batcrap insane (though whether or not we are already completely batcrap insane is a matter of some debate.)

Tradeoff example: Shadow filtering. We use different techniques on PS3 and 360 to filter shadow edges, which gives them a bit of a different look. I think it's a matter of taste as to which way looks better, but we did it that way because it was the most efficient way to do it on both platforms that yielded a look that was good enough.

Raistlin

Calen said:
Ok, so, yeah, I'm one of the Infinity Ward programmers.

Wow man ... you've got balls. I'll give you that :p

Seriously though, congratulations!! I can't wait to place this game! You guys really should be proud of this title ... for a variety of reasons.

please patch the PS3 version for rumble ... that shouldn't be too hard should it? Oh yeah, keyboard and mouse too kthx :D

Awntawn

Calen said:
Ok, so, yeah, I'm one of the Infinity Ward programmers. I won't even pretend to be objective about our game, because all of us at IW love it (duh). That said, I see some questions coming up repeatedly in various threads...

2) No rumble (DS3) support - we found out about it too late to add it to this game. Hopefully next time around, though!

2) Yes, the PS3 version does support voice chat (bluetooth and USB mics supported.)

3) There are minor visual differences between the 360 and PS3 versions, due to the platforms being extremely different from an architectural standpoint. This results in us having to make different tradeoffs on both platforms to hit our framerate targets. They're very nearly identical, but you'll be able to pick screenshots in which both versions are "clearly" the better version. They're as close as we could make them without going completely batcrap insane (though whether or not we are already completely batcrap insane is a matter of some debate.)

Tradeoff example: Shadow filtering. We use different techniques on PS3 and 360 to filter shadow edges, which gives them a bit of a different look. I think it's a matter of taste as to which way looks better, but we did it that way because it was the most efficient way to do it on both platforms that yielded a look that was good enough.
Question, what is the level of detail used for textures/models etc in the console versions relative to the PC version? High settings? Very High? Somewhere in between? Thanks ;o

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Calen said:

/thread

dfyb

Banned
Onix said:
please patch the PS3 version for rumble ... that shouldn't be too hard should it? Oh yeah, keyboard and mouse too kthx :D[/spoir]
unhiding this, because it really needs to happen.

Fletcher

Calen said:

sadffxiidudepp3.jpg

Midas

Calen said:

Why did you choose to not include keyboard and mouse support? Some special reason?

kenta

Has no PEINS
Onix said:
please patch the PS3 version for rumble ... that shouldn't be too hard should it?
ding ding ding, signing my name onto the bottom of this

Don't take that as a sign of unappreciation, though, the game looks phenominal and it's a day-one purchase for the majority of people in here, myself included

monkeu

Calen said:

Can you confirm whether the 360 version is going to be region free or not?

DCharlie

Banned
Basically the benefits this shot received are outweighed by the faults. At least IMO.

well, yes, but the point that taking screen shots can alter how a game looks is agreed on :)

Uh oh, good luck Calen! You've had it now! ;)

I've got this weird feeling that X360 owners will prefer the X360 version and PS3 owners will prefer the PS3 version. Crazy talk perhaps? but it's a strong hunch!

Good luck with the game , i think people on both sides of no mans land can agree that the game is stirring a lot of excitement.

Raistlin

oh god ... what have I started? Sorry Calen :(

Anyway, as a PS3 owner ... I think I speak for everyone here in saying that we REALLY appreciate the effort you guys put into designing/implementing an engine specifically for it. Its been a pretty rough road for us as far as multiplatform releases (ie. 360 engine port, hack-jobs) go.

Now everybody ... SHOW YOUR SUPPORT AND BUY THE PS3 VERSION!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
AltogetherAndrews said:

:lol :lol

you've just made my night good sir!

Calen

lynux3 said:
No DualShock 3 support? How about a patch sooner or later?

I don't know what our patch plans are, if any (and I'm not one of the people who decides these things), but everything turns into a question of time vs. benefit. We don't have any kind of rumble framework on the PS3 yet, so adding it would be significant work that could be spent on other potential fixes or changes that would help everyone with the PS3 version and not just folks that buy the DS3. It's already on our "big board of ideas" though.

DCharlie

Banned

and the thing here is they are fighting over TWO shopping carts, that are nigh on damn identical.

lynux3

Calen said:
I don't know what our patch plans are, if any (and I'm not one of the people who decides these things), but everything turns into a question of time vs. benefit. We don't have any kind of rumble framework on the PS3 yet, so adding it would be significant work that could be spent on other potential fixes or changes that would help everyone with the PS3 version and not just folks that buy the DS3. It's already on our "big board of ideas" though.

Thank you, sir. I hope the idea of DualShock 3 support comes to fruition.

Hopefully it doesn't take too long considering (Phil Harrison's words) that the same framework was used for DualShock 2, at least if it ever does happen.

Calen said:

Just what I was hoping :D. Thank you.

Calen said:

Great, thanks for that!

Now can we just all enjoy the game please??

Calen

Midas said:
Why did you choose to not include keyboard and mouse support? Some special reason?

No special reason I'm aware of apart from the usual "it was extra time we needed to spend making the game run faster," but that answer works for most features we didn't include, so it's sort of a cop out :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom