• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Support: GFWL client will be removed from their previous games

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Capcom!

As GFWL will be closing down, the client will be removed from games and you will still be able to play your games.

Unfortunately we do not have any details yet of how this will be done and when.

Regards,

Carlos G.
Capcom Technical Support

A user at the Steam Discussions area contacted Capcom about the closure of GFWL and he got the above response back:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/21690/discussions/0/864976115731468729/#c810938082544346928

What if I bought a Capcom game through a digital outlet that wasn't Steam? I bought SFxT through GameFly, and that didn't activate on Steam.

What Capcom games use GFWL?

Quite a few.

Dark Void
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
Lost Planet 2
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

They were the biggest supporter of the platform :facepalm

kuYuri

What does this mean for Lost Planet: Colonies? Will it lose the cross platform online between PC and 360?

Most definitely. Once GFWL goes down next year, it wouldn't matter anyway as LPC players would then not be able to play online. If it actually gets updated with Steamworks, at least there's a chance PC players can at least continue to play together.

And last I checked a month or so ago, no one was playing this game online.

eyeless

your source is some guy on a forum
qYEQRY1.gif

rjc571

Banned
I sent an email to Codemasters asking about their games (specifically Fuel, which requires GFWL to load your progress) and they replied with some BS about how GFWL isn't actually closing down or something. So at least Capcom is more on the ball than Codemasters is.

jediyoshi

Jump aboard packaging in all dlc into the mix and I'll happily buy the rest of the Capcom back catalogue I don't own. And then
Dragon's Dogma
plz.

WolvenOne

At this point, the only game I really care about that has a GFWL client, is Dark Souls.

If they remove that, THEN, I'll be ecstatic! XD

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Quite a few.

Dark Void
Dead Rising 2
Dead Rising 2: Off the Record
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition Colonies Edition
Lost Planet 2
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
Street Fighter IV
Street Fighter X Tekken
Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition

They were the biggest supporter of the platform :facepalm

Dark Void isn't GFWL on Steam. :)

Just to be sure: Once GFWL is history, I won't be able to get the achievements (Gamerscore) anymore, right? Need to play my PC copy of Dead Rising 2 and RE5 before I lose this additional incentive.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just to be sure: Once GFWL is history, I won't be able to get the achievements (Gamerscore) anymore, right? Need to play my PC copy of Dead Rising 2 and RE5 before I lose this additional incentive.

Once GFWL is removed from the Steam copies, you will no longer be able to obtain Xbox achievements on the games if you bought them on Steam and do a new install or update to have the no-GFWL versions.

If you bought them somewhere else, you may or may not be able to each achievements. When GFWL is shut down entirely, they may or may not allow activation servers to work; may or may not allow logins to work; and may or may not award achievements. No one knows. Microsoft hasn't said. If you want to ensure 100% completion and you own the games on Steam, install them today, opt out of patches, and make sure you have completed 100% before July 1, 2014 at the latest.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I wish Arc did the same with BlackBerry. :(
EDIT: fucking autocorrect I meant BlazBlue.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Most definitely. Once GFWL goes down next year, it wouldn't matter anyway as LPC players would then not be able to play online. If it actually gets updated with Steamworks, at least there's a chance PC players can at least continue to play together.

And last I checked a month or so ago, no one was playing this game online.
I'd like to play devil's advocate here and say that GFWL was the reason why no one was playing and that any implementation of Steamworks would actually entice more people than ever to play online (if they do go through with it). Probably stupidly obvious what I just said, but hey, just putting it out there. I loved LP1's online, back in the day.

They might bring Steam Achievements into the occasion if they patch in Steamworks.

Dr Dogg

Well about a day latter in the same thread on Steamcommunity someone else posted this:-

Good day Mark. Thank you for contacting us at Capcom Technical Support.

We are still not 100% what is going to happen regarding the winding-down of Games For Windows Live.

It should be possible to keep playing and saving until the end of Games For Windows Live - please keep checking regularly on www.capcom-unity.com for news as we progress.

With many thanks.

Regards,
Stephen I.
Capcom Technical Support

Considering the first post and this one have no links or sources I'd take it with a big pinch of salt. So yeah not convinced sadly. I'll wait until there's an official announcement or activity in the database before getting your hopes up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Considering the first post and this one have no links or sources I'd take it with a big pinch of salt. So yeah not convinced sadly. I'll wait until there's an official announcement or activity in the database before getting your hopes up.

No last name = not a human being

Top Bottom