• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Lost World Review Thread [Embargo Ends: Oct. 18th, 4:00 AM EDT]

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Actual gifs of video reviews of this game (courtesy Sonic Retro user GT Koopa):

1382134081856_zpsb2a2d2ae.gif

1382135339933_zpsda472d00.gif

1382135798945_zps79202326.gif

Just sayin'.

Wow.

These people fucking suck at playing games. And this coming from me, a self-professed not-very-good gamer.

The gif where he slams into the wall for example, changing direction while on those cilinders is pretty fucking shitty, you either lose a lot of speed or can't control it well and in no other place in the game do you die by running into the wall.

Does this game have that feature in Sonic Generations where the L & R buttons allow you to shift places without losing speed? The part before he had Sonic splat on the wall (lol) seems like he quick-shifted to that tunnel.

Teknoman

i dont get the complaint about the game being stingy with lives. In previous games and mario games lives are rendered useless by they number of ways there are to gain more. and even if you oose them all in sonic, its not like you are set back that far, its just to the beginning of the level.

Yeah. Every recent Mario game post Galaxy 1 (maybe then, dont remember) i've had tons of lives.

You kind of ignored the part where's a fan mod where you can play Unleashed's daytime levels in Generations and it plays a million times better. Shouldn't that imply there's a big problem with how Unleashed controls if porting the levels over to a different game improves them so drastically?

Also I'd argue the opposite in terms of controlling Sonic; if he's more slippery in Unleashed (which he absolutely is, I don't even feel this is a subjectivity thing) than Generations, than I can't see how it's more about controlling Sonic. Especially when the former constantly resorted to being stuck straight hallways with side-stepping sessions for periods at a time, QTE's jumps and other constant pre-scripted moments like grinding down the clock tower that restrict your control far more than Generations usually does.
v
Unleashed focused more on controlling Sonic, than navigating throughout the stage.

Generations is the opposite. When you pick up on that, I think you can actually appreciate it more.

I'm not so much implying you're "dissing" Lost World as much as I'm saying it's an issue people are having with the game and could be excused by the same line of reasoning you used. I've already gotten used to the controls and it plays like butter to me, but I can see why people would have trouble with it and I'm not going to assume those people are merely terrible because they can't come to terms with some questionable design.

Tekken plays like ass to me and I love fighting games, but I wouldn't say Tekken is an ass game, because people actually understand it. (including myself). So is Tekken to blame or me?

I understand that some people feel like the design isn't for them and can admit it. That's cool. But calling something malfunctional (not directed to that other poster) because you may not come to terms with how it plays or controls despite the fact that it is functional is something different.

Treasure Games produce a lot of titles with questionable design but a lot of them aren't bad games.

The Boat

Hey Boat, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the boost games. I know you're down on this game, but I think it'd be interesting to hear.

I didn't fully played them actually. Didn't even get to play Generations once.

Unleashed I can barely remember to be honest, so I can't form an opinion right now, I remember hating the Werewolf sections and that the other ones had unremarkable or bad level design. There were some cool parts though. Like I said, I barely remember anything.

Colours disappointed me, because I loved the E3 demo and it had plenty of really good levels. The problem was that half the game was good and the other half was pretty bad. It quickly fell prey to Sonic Team's terrible level design where they created huge levels through alternate paths, all of them unremarkable to the point where learning the levels and replaying them was an ingrate task. The Wisps also made this matter worse, these two things completely broke the flow of the levels and momentum. This is something Lost World mostly fixes. The physics could be a little crappy at times too. Loved the art style and music though.

I remember 3DS Colors not being bad, but kind of unmemorable, nothing worthy of note ever happened.

I don't mean to constantly bash this game, Sonic 1 was my first game, I loved Sonic (still do, the old games at least) and I was very hopeful for this one, although very, very cautious about it. I gave it many chances, I always tried stepping back, learning the controls better, but I just think the game does many, many core things wrong. Things that I believe the Sonic Team has the obligation of doing right.

Considering that I just got the game a few days ago and that I had a terrible time with it and anticipating (correctly so) completely different opinions, I decided not to publish my review yet in order to avoid jumping the shark. I'm giving my brain time to process things and Monday I'll get back to it, replay it again and try to get a more final opinion. The fact that I'm thinking about it is why I've posting in these threads, not to try shitting things up or anything, it's just hard to recommend or not warn people of my experience when I had a bad time.

Thanks for asking though, I'm sorry I can't provide a better reply, but it's been a while and sometimes these things slip my brain.

EDIT:
Does this game have that feature in Sonic Generations where the L & R buttons allow you to shift places without losing speed? The part before he had Sonic splat on the wall (lol) seems like he quick-shifted to that tunnel.

If it does, the game doesn't talk about it, which wouldn't surprise me. But no, I don't think so.

Judging from the low polygon and ign reviews the game has a learning curve and isn't easy.

Also those gifs are doing my head in, why do these people get to decide if a game is good or bad (talking about reviews in general, I'm not bothered about what scores this game gets, just saying shit players shouldn't be reviewing games)

On the game itself, from sterling's review:
" Sonic Team has reintroduced the idea of speed as a reward rather than a central premise.'
he just wrote down in one single sentence what made sonic 1 and 2 good, and what the modern sonic games all miss.
The speed is handed to you on a silver platter the majority of the time.

Sonic 1-2 was about building momentum and timing your jumps to keep you going, as you replayed the levels you became better and better and as you got better you went faster and faster and faster, it was soooooooooooooo rewarding.

Ifk if this game has that, but that was the single only thing that made sonic good and made it as good mario (because it did something entirely different very VERY VERY well)

edit: he mentions homing attacks and spindashing though, those are very un-sonic, sonic on genesis was better because of the bouncing off enemies physics and having to work for your speed not getting it through a spin dash;

qq more

I didn't fully played them actually. Didn't even get to play Generations once.

Unleashed I can barely remember to be honest, so I can't form an opinion right now, I remember hating the Werewolf sections and that the other ones had unremarkable or bad level design. There were some cool parts though. Like I said, I barely remember anything.

Colours disappointed me, because I loved the E3 demo and it had plenty of really good levels. The problem was that half the game was good and the other half was pretty bad. It quickly fell prey to Sonic Team's terrible level design where they created huge levels through alternate paths, all of them unremarkable to the point where learning the levels and replaying them was an ingrate task. The Wisps also made this matter worse, these two things completely broke the flow of the levels and momentum. This is something Lost World mostly fixes. The physics could be a little crappy at times too. Loved the art style and music though.

I remember 3DS Colors not being bad, but kind of unmemorable, nothing worthy of note ever happened.

I don't mean to constantly bash this game, Sonic 1 was my first game, I loved Sonic (still do, the old games at least) and I was very hopeful for this one, although very, very cautious about it. I gave it many chances, I always tried stepping back, learning the controls better, but I just think the game does many, many core things wrong. Things that I believe the Sonic Team has the obligation of doing right.

Considering that I just got the game a few days ago and that I had a terrible time with it and anticipating (correctly so) completely different opinions, I decided not to publish my review yet in order to avoid jumping the shark. I'm giving my brain time to process things and Monday I'll get back to it, replay it again and try to get a more final opinion. The fact that I'm thinking about it is why I've posting in these threads, not to try shitting things up or anything, it's just hard to recommend or not warn people of my experience when I had a bad time.

Thanks for asking though, I'm sorry I can't provide a better reply, but it's been a while and sometimes these things slip my brain.

EDIT:

If it does, the game doesn't talk about it, which wouldn't surprise me. But no, I don't think so.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Lost Worlds Wii U once you replay it. But hey, you gave the game a fair shake and your opinions were rather very reasonable. So it's all cool, The Boat! Like reading your impressions even though you weren't satisfied with the game.

I seriously don't get where you're going with this reply, since I've already responded to this idea. If you mean Unleashed is focused more on how you speedrun similarly-designed stages with Sonic's arsenal than generations, than I've already pointed out how the game repeatedly removes or restricts control from you and makes levels an incredibly linear experience, most issues which are removed when played with the Generations engine due to no QTE's, a higher and hence more responsive framerate, tighter controls and no dumb button inputs like having boost/homing attack be the same button.

If you mean you're wrestling the control over Sonic more in Unleashed than Generations due to how slippery everything is, than while I agree I'm also flabbergasted that you'd list that as a positive.

Don't just copy and paste that response for a third time.

The Boat

Pretty sure it's in in some form. One of the (literal) on rail stages looked like it had it.
That would be useful because switching rails isn't very easy either. I mean, I can always do it, but it always feels like I barely manage it. You jump and have to land on the rail, iirc it was a more automatic process in the older games, you just pressed left or right no?
I'm interested to hear your thoughts on Lost Worlds Wii U once you replay it. But hey, you gave the game a fair shake and your opinions were rather very reasonable. So it's all cool, The Boat! Like reading your impressions even though you weren't satisfied with the game.
Thanks, I'm glad to hear it :)

qq more

That would be useful because switching rails isn't very easy either. I mean, I can always do it, but it always feels like I barely manage it. You jump and have to land on the rail, iirc it was a more automatic process in the older games, you just pressed left or right no?

Thanks, I'm glad to hear it :)

Your welcome! What site do you work for out of curiosity?

I seriously don't get where you're going with this reply, since I've already responded to this idea. If you mean Unleashed is focused more on how you speedrun similarly-designed stages with Sonic's arsenal than generations, than I've already pointed out how the game repeatedly removes or restricts control from you and makes levels an incredibly linear experience, most issues which are removed when played with the Generations engine due to no QTE's, a higher and hence more responsive framerate, tighter controls and no dumb button inputs like having boost/homing attack be the same button.

If you mean you're wrestling the control over Sonic more in Unleashed than Generations due to how slippery everything is, than while I agree I'm also flabbergasted that you'd list that as a positive.

Don't just copy and paste that response for a third time.

Nah man but honestly I should.

I'm saying that Unleashed had stages built for controlling Sonic because that was the focus. The stages weren't huge like generations, and some stages punished you depending how you handled your speed.

Generations focused on Level navigation and mastery. Sonic is easier to control but harder to navigate due to the huge expansive levels that didn't exactly punish you for going fast, they also slowed him down just a little. I would comment on that weak ass scoring system, but you get the gist.

iirc it was a more automatic process in the older games, you just pressed left or right no?

In the Uncolourations games, yeah, you could just use the bumpers or whatever to quickhop between rails. You had to manually jump them in the Adventure pentalogy though.

Sonic cycle again lol

Another idiotic driveby shitpost lol

If the Sonic Cycle is now "game looks pretty good, comes out, is pretty good but not enjoyed by everyone", then hey, cycle on.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic cycle again lol
This is the kind of post that's unnecessary in this thread, or any other thread, for that matter.

Clearly the intent is to add your two cents to the mix, but hey, maybe next time try a little more and add more depth to your post as opposed to spouting a one-liner consisting of a GAF-created meme that tends to be misused, and maybe the conversation might be picked up from there, eh?

I hope this isn't considered advertising lol
Nope.

Y'know what's bizarre? Seeing a guy you knew (GT Koopa) from one forum (Sonic HQ) many years ago get a shout-out on another forum you go to (GAF) for posting lolworthy GIFs on yet another forum you go to (Sonic Retro).

"It's a world of laughter, a world of tears..."

Nah man but honestly I should.

I'm saying that Unleashed had stages built for controlling Sonic because that was the focus. The stages weren't huge like generations, and some stages punished you depending how you handled your speed.

Generations focused on Level navigation and mastery. Sonic is easier to control but harder to navigate due to the huge expansive levels that didn't exactly punish you for going fast, they also slowed him down just a little. I would comment on that weak ass scoring system, but you get the gist.
The later stages of Unleashed are most definitely huger than Generations', they're just not as multi-branched. The longest Generations ever gets is with Planet Wisp (roughly 8 minutes? Unleashed's longest stage is over an hour the first time through by comparison), and that's due to the Generations team not really getting how to properly implement wisp powers so the stage dissolves into crappy segments where you just keep blasting upwards. I also don't feel the game ever punished you for going too fast, just some areas are flat out poorly designed. That C-curve part in Empire City you listed earlier where you'll fall off if you're boosting through for instance is just as awkward when you're not boosting since Sonic's drift mechanic in Unleashed is far more slippery than how it works in Generations. Stuff like that you seem to think is an intentional part of managing the game's speed I think is Sonic Team just not fully ironing out the kinks of the game's controls until later games.

I also don't get your 'easier to control but harder to navigate' comment. Are you saying the levels were too confusing? Because Green Hill/Chemical Plant/Sky Sanctuary/Speed Highway all manage to maintain the same speed Unleashed does without any of the issues that came along with that game. I agree the game's scoring system is completely busted, but that shouldn't be your sole incentive to replay a game if you like it either.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume most people who don't like the boost games have played the boost games. Their game design is really not for everybody, and neither is this game. The Sonic franchise has spun off in so many different directions, and there are so many different people who beat their chests, scream really loud, and stomp out anybody who doesn't go with "their" REAL Sonic opinion. "Sonics should be like the classics, Sonic should be like the boost games, Sonic should have a more serious story like 2006, Sonic should be light-hearted, why is it only Sonic where are the other guys, eww gross Sonic's shitty friends Sonic only pls, he should be this he should be that".

Without accurate #'s, I've noticed the diversity of the reviews for LW is like the diversity of people's opinions of Sonic games in-general. "This Genesis Zone sucked. "No it didn't, it fit and was awesome." "Sonic is only about speed." "Sonic would be better slowed down."

At least with Lost World, we were told upfront things would be different; it sort of feels like some might have been glad LW got polarizing or lower scores to confirm their standars for Sonic (if they considered boost gameplay the best), or if they wanted the Sonic cycle to return. I wonder what kind of Sonic fan I am to love most of the approaches the series has taken. Slow, boost, more platforming emphasis, more speed trials; damn near all of it equated to fun for me. Compared to Mario, I've had a chance to try more things with Sonic, which is the primary draw for LW for me.

Sega doesn't really help either. When it looks like they were refining things with Generations from Unleashed, they throw that all out the window for something new. Something that's bound to connect with some fans and piss off others. They just can't stay consistent with this shit.

As a Nintendo exclusive working off WiiU/3DS control schemes, and considering the reception the boost trilogy got, I somehow doubt their planning to drop that completely. I consider LW a spin-off at this point. I know part of the panning is for it's own individual difficulty, but it's also sad how Sonic may have to be a certain style of play to have the chance to score high in publications now.

The later stages of Unleashed are most definitely huger than Generations', they're just not as multi-branched. The longest Generations ever gets is with Planet Wisp (roughly 8 minutes? Unleashed's longest stage is over an hour the first time through by comparison), and that's due to the Generations team not really getting how to properly implement wisp powers so the stage dissolves into crappy segments where you just keep blasting upwards. I also don't feel the game ever punished you for going too fast, just some areas are flat out poorly designed. That C-curve part in Empire City you listed earlier where you'll fall off if you're boosting through for instance is just as awkward when you're not boosting since Sonic's drift mechanic in Unleashed is far more slippery than how it works in Generations. Stuff like that you seem to think is an intentional part of managing the game's speed I think is Sonic Team just not fully ironing out the kinks of the game's controls until later games.

I also don't get your 'easier to control but harder to navigate' comment. Are you saying the levels were too confusing? Because Green Hill/Chemical Plant/Sky Sanctuary/Speed Highway all manage to maintain the same speed Unleashed does without any of the issues that came along with that game. I agree the game's scoring system is completely busted, but that shouldn't be your sole incentive to replay a game if you like it either.
I really thought the statements were simple.

Generations had bigger and more complex stages with branching paths. (Not as cohesive as Unleashed, but still the stage itself that's playable provided much variety. It was also easier to control Sonic.

Unleashed stages were simple, but had certain challenges that addressed your speed and control of Sonic. The C curve in Empire state can be mastered by slowing down in the tunnel right before you preform the drift if I remember correctly.

As for the Scoring system in Generations, I gotta say it makes me feel bad to do a run fuck up, and get an S. They can keep their damn pity grades. ;_;

Without accurate #'s, I've noticed the diversity of the reviews for LW is like the diversity of people's opinions of Sonic games in-general. "This Genesis Zone sucked. "No it didn't, it fit and was awesome." "Sonic is only about speed." "Sonic would be better slowed down."

At least with Lost World, we were told upfront things would be different; it sort of feels like some might have been glad LW got polarizing or lower scores to confirm their standars for Sonic (if they considered boost gameplay the best), or if they wanted the Sonic cycle to return. I wonder what kind of Sonic fan I am to love most of the approaches the series has taken. Slow, boost, more platforming emphasis, more speed trials; damn near all of it equated to fun for me. Compared to Mario, I've had a chance to try more things with Sonic, which is the primary draw for LW for me.

As a Nintendo exclusive working off WiiU/3DS control schemes, and considering the reception the boost trilogy got, I somehow doubt their planning to drop that completely. I consider LW a spin-off at this point. I know part of the panning is for it's own individual difficulty, but it's also sad how Sonic may have to be a certain style of play to have the chance to score high in publications now.

This is a good post that puts it in perspective in ways I feel I didn't think about when concerning Sonic overall and their various attempts.

Spinluck

I agree. I can play a lot better than those guys could. They need professional gamers.

It's not even that.

Like can they really not tell that they need to hold down the trigger and run during these segments? I really think it might be them recording shitty footage to make their points.

If any of that is from IGN, then lol. "Sonic isn't fast enough", *dies going slow*.

... How exactly? Unleashed has incredibly poor controls and it's highlighted just by how much smoother and easier the Unleashed levels are to play in that one Generations mod. Almost identical level design, speed and move-set, but far more responsive controls and 60fps made a world of difference.

There absolutely is an issue of a lack of proper consideration back in Unleashed when it comes to how Sonic controls in regards to the level design. Even basic stuff like the homing attack and boost being mapped to the same button was ass-backwards and strikes me more as Sonic Team being Sonic Team and not some sort of intentional design decision.

I can understand liking them for the good game that lies underneath, but you're delusional if you think it's solely on the player and not the game's own fault as to why why it isn't that well liked.

I prefer Unleasheds Controls to generations.

I also accept that im on the extreme end of the scale and generations was a compromise.

And, for the record, I seriously would like to find someone who can prove that they didn't fuck up during any QTE segments or precision moments in Unleashed's later stages without memorizing it through a number of first runs. This person clearly deserves a medal because Crimson Carnival is one of the worst, most bullshit things put into a Sonic game, period.

Any game that doesnt make you fail multiple times before you pass a level or a difficult section isnt worth playing. There isnt anything wrong with failing a QTE and dying. The problem you have here is that you question why you should fail a QTE or what reason it served in the first place. I STILL fuck up Unleashed QTEs. I just blame myself, not the game.

trixx

Man the past couple of pages is arguing what would be best for sonic..

Face it, the best 3d platformer by sonic team in the modern era is billy hatcher and the giant egg which is legitimately a good game i dont know why there isn't a sequel. Chao Garden takes second place.

Haven't played colors yet though.

This is a good post that puts it in perspective in ways I feel I didn't think about when concerning Sonic overall and their various attempts.

Yeah, never expected the review thread to turn into a stealth critique on the franchise altogether, but it probably happens in all of them.

I'm also a demo hits everywhere soon, along with good tips from users in how to play it. User impressons compared to publication impressions should be pretty interesting.

Because the higher scores are mostly from Nintendo fan sites and less reputable places like Famitsu.
NWR puts out higher quality reviews than most sites with a paid staff. They're as objective as they come and are pretty damn well-respected.

Let's not start with this nonsense.

The "sonic cycle" posts are almost as bad as the posts that insinuate the only reason this game is getting low reviews is because the reviewers don't know how to play. Then use a few instances in a review video as reasoning...

Two sides of the coin, both sides should be ashamed.

RagnarokX

i dont get the complaint about the game being stingy with lives. In previous games and mario games lives are rendered useless by they number of ways there are to gain more. and even if you oose them all in sonic, its not like you are set back that far, its just to the beginning of the level.

Lives are an archaic holdover from the arcade day. They really don't add difficulty. What matters is the gameplay, level design, and the frequency of checkpoints. Nintendo doesn't get rid of lives because they're so ingrained into Mario and 1ups make an easy cheap thing to collect.

What happens if you run out of lives in a game? You have to go back to the start of the level instead of the last checkpoint. Not really additional challenge, just annoyance.

With modern Sonic games, however, the level design tends to be pretty poor and cheap deaths very common. Some of the levels I've seen look pretty long and tedious, so I can see that getting more frustrating if the game is stingy with the lives.

Man the past couple of pages is arguing what would be best for sonic..

Face it, the best 3d platformer by sonic team in the modern era is billy hatcher and the giant egg which is legitimately a good game i dont know why there isn't a sequel. Chao Garden takes second place.

Haven't played colors yet though.

Despite reviews I'm still very much hyped up for this game (I've been dying for Sonic to forget the whole "gotta go fast" thing for ages), and I really loved Colors... but I can agree with this.

Billy Hatcher and Chao Garden just so incredibly good, why the hell can't we have more of them?!

Lives are an archaic holdover from the arcade day. They really don't add difficulty. What matters is the gameplay, level design, and the frequency of checkpoints. Nintendo doesn't get rid of lives because they're so ingrained into Mario and 1ups make an easy cheap thing to collect.

What happens if you run out of lives in a game? You have to go back to the start of the level instead of the last checkpoint. Not really additional challenge, just annoyance.

With modern Sonic games, however, the level design tends to be pretty poor and cheap deaths very common. Some of the levels I've seen look pretty long and tedious, so I can see that getting more frustrating if the game is stingy with the lives.
Rayman Origins and Legends handles this perfectly by simply not having them. The punishment is beings sent back to the checkpoint without anything you collected beyond that point, and nothing more.

Still getting it!

I see this as the music industry.
I love listening to music and myself being a musician, I see the music biz going downhill. The artists that chart high and are popular are not by any means the best, at least not in my opinion and taste.

You gotta look for the game, try it yourself, and if you like it, support it. Just like you would support good music acts. You will find those little details that make it fun for you. And of course, there are games that are bad for real. But I would never base my gaming only on press reviews.

I find myself never playing the best selling games nowadays, except a very, very few exceptions.

I hope someone gets this analogy.

Teknoman

Rayman Origins and Legends handles this perfectly by simply not having them. The punishment is beings sent back to the checkpoint without anything you collected beyond that point, and nothing more.

I will say i dread the day when actual game over screens are a thing of the past.

I mean thats why playing shoot em ups with infinite continues forces you to implement your own limitations.

Then again, some variations on the genre probably work better without game over screens, so it all depends.

Biker19

Banned

Well, that's what happens when you get the two words, "Game Over" on your screen. Gotta start over again. :p

Still getting it!

I see this as the music industry.
I love listening to music and myself being a musician, I see the music biz going downhill. The artists that chart high and are popular are not by any means the best, at least not in my opinion and taste.

You gotta look for the game, try it yourself, and if you like it, support it. Just like you would support good music acts. You will find those little details that make it fun for you. And of course, there are games that are bad for real. But I would never base my gaming only on press reviews.

I find myself never playing the best selling games nowadays, except a very, very few exceptions.

I hope someone gets this analogy.

Yeah I'm with you on this. I do play the big, popular games but they don't usually do much for me. I'm definitely still renting this game and nothing can change my mind on that.

R0ckman

I don't understand why the team can't get this right, I'm fucking tired of these hit and miss Sonic games.

Why can't we just scrap modern Sonic and just use Generation classic Sonic and do 2.5D downloadable games... Wait Sonic is all Sega has I guess.

Teknoman

I don't understand why the team can't get this right, I'm fucking tired of these hit and miss Sonic games.

Why can't we just scrap modern Sonic and just use Generation classic Sonic and do 2.5D downloadable games... Wait Sonic is all Sega has I guess.

Well they would have PSO2 if they would bring the damn thing out elsewhere.

Also Binary Domain could've been a cool series... they've got a great stable of franchises they just wont use in a good way.

Top Bottom