• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
donny, I think with a series like SSM, it's a little bit disingenuous to not include all of the expansion packs. If you just include the mainline games, this is the fifth/sixth (depending on if you use JPN or USA numbering scheme), but there's also DW3:XL, DW4:XL, DW4:E, DW5:XL, DW5:E, and to a lesser extent DW5:S.

sphinx said:
why do we hold Media create numbers in a higher esteem than Famitsu numbers?

We don't, we just Media-Create numbers faster than Famitsu numbers.

donny2112

sphinx said:
why do we hold Media create numbers in a higher esteem than Famitsu numbers?

Mario64Watch.jpg

"Esteem" would be the wrong word, though. For historical data, Famitsu is used almost exclusively, though, since so little Media-Create data is released comparitively.

donny2112

Stumpokapow said:
donny, I think with a series like SSM, it's a little bit disingenuous to not include all of the expansion packs.

Not at all. It would've been disingenuous for me to include the expansions in a comparison to Musou 5. Apples to apples, etc.

Stumpokapow said:
there's also DW3:XL, DW4:XL, DW4:E, DW5:XL, DW5:E, and to a lesser extent DW5:S.

Since you asked ...

Code:
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 2 Mushouden   285K   140K   68K   ...   689K (20021229)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 3 Mushouden   265K    73K   37K   ...   491K (20031228)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 3 Empires     153K    52K   28K   ...   317K (20041226)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Moushouden  196K    67K   30K   ...   355K (20051225)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Empires      54K    23K   12K   ...   145K (20061231)

This will be useful for comparison whenever Musou 5 Moushouden/Empires comes out. ;)

mutsu

Avrum said:
I actually wouldn't mind a Wii Mario game designed in similar fashion to the sidescrolling parts in Galaxy. The first time I encountered one complete with the Fire Mario outfit, it was like New Super Mario Bros. but a hell of a lot sexier. :D

That's the interesting question. If Nintendo made New Super Mario Bros 2 on Wii, would it sell to the level of NSMB or SMG?

Loudninja said:
I really do not get this post at all, whats with the poor PS3?

It's showing signs of dropping back to where it was before the price drop and new color came into effect, although we won't see that happen until after the normal holiday boost that every console will see. That's what it means.

mutsu said:
That's the interesting question. If Nintendo made New Super Mario Bros 2 on Wii, would it sell to the level of NSMB or SMG?

Nintendo would never dare risk cannibalizing the series sales like that, it's the same reason we'll never see a proper Pokemon RPG for a console.

muramura said:
True. Good thing the rest of the world recognizes it's brilliance. I had once thought that SMG would easily break 1 million, but now it looks like a 50-50 chance. Hopefully (I can't believe I am saying this) wiifit can come to the rescue and float this title for a little while longer.

It seems like PS3 is having one of it's best software weeks yet. 4 titles in the top 30, HSG5 making it's way back to the chart, and Dynasty warriors might hit 500k. I wonder if it outsold the wii again.

And is it me, or does the Japanese gaming merket seem to be in a little depression right now?

I think your right about the slump or recession. It's been like this for a while. I personally think it will get much worse than this. DSL throughout 2006/07 has drained out all the gaming out of the Japanese people. There is only so much money one can spend on gaming, regardless of how good the games are going to be. Then again the iPod has yet to slow down.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
mutsu said:
I'd be curious to see that (even though it won't happen). Right now there are about 3.5 million Wii owners who haven't bought Galaxy, and I don't think that you can convince me that those people are any more casual than the DS owners. In fact, I think NSMB had some sort of strange retro casual appeal that Mario Galaxy just cannot capture, and for whatever reason people buy into that. So I think a NSMB Wii would sell quite a bit better, although perhaps the portable experience also contributes to its appeal. Being on the other side of the ocean, it's so hard to capture just what constitutes an anomaly like this.

Talamius

Mgoblue201 said:
I'd be curious to see that (even though it won't happen). Right now there are about 3.5 million Wii owners who haven't bought Galaxy, and I don't think that you can convince me that those people are any more casual than the DS owners. In fact, I think NSMB had some sort of strange retro casual appeal that Mario Galaxy just cannot capture, and for whatever reason people buy into that. So I think a NSMB Wii would sell quite a bit better, although perhaps the portable experience also contributes to its appeal. Being on the other side of the ocean, it's so hard to capture just what constitutes an anomaly like this.

I think the problem with SMG is, when watching, it LOOKS complicated as hell. Try showing off the second Dreadnaught (sic) star to someone who has only played NSMB and their mind will be blown. Even the easier parts have Mario running sideways and upside down a large portion of the time. It scares casuals off.

mutsu

Talamius said:
I think the problem with SMG is, when watching, it LOOKS complicated as hell. Try showing off the second Dreadnaught (sic) star to someone who has only played NSMB and their mind will be blown. Even the easier parts have Mario running sideways and upside down a large portion of the time. It scares casuals off.

I think that's what's happening too. Certainly that's what is happening in my own household, with my wife being scared to even pick up the 2nd controller to assist my gameplay.

Wii comparisons: At 51 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 215.1 weeks (October 23, 2005), where GBA was at 39.3 weeks (December 18, 2001), where DS was at 52.2 weeks (November 28, 2005), where PS2 was at 60.4 weeks (April 24, 2001), and where PSP was at 87.4 weeks (August 8, 2006).

PS3 comparisons: At 54 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 7.2 weeks (April 17, 2000), where PSP was at 23.5 weeks (May 18, 2005), where GCN was at 33.9 weeks (May 3, 2002), and where Wii was at 8.6 weeks (January 24, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 53.7 / 46.3, bringing total shares to 74.5 / 25.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 201.2 weeks (September 27, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 52.0 / 48.0, easily the closest week they've seen yet. This brings total shares to 26.0 / 74.0. At this week's rates, PS3 catches up to Wii in 839.6 weeks (December 21, 2023). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 63.2 weeks (February 3, 2009).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates DS catches up to PS2 in 11.6 weeks (February 7, 2008) at ~20.9 million apiece.

At week 46, DS+DSL passes 6 million for the year. Last year, this happened on week 41. However, this still makes only the second time in history that a system has passed 6 million in a year in Japan.

At week 46, total hardware sales have passed 13 million for the year. Last year this happened on week 51. Barring zombie holocaust, this year will set a new record by a large amount.

The Sphinx said:
SMG, according to NoA, had the best opening week of any Mario game in North America. In Japan it... didn't.
In Japan, SMG sold 32% of SMS's total within 4 days. In the US... it didn't.
Dragona Akehi said:
Downloadable!
Ahahaha. No way they'd risk selling it to just the crowd that actually bothers to download, and keeps their fridge clean.
Lightning said:
Interesting. What's the bet that they both try and compenstate for that bu next week Famitsu numbers will be lower, while MC numbers will be higher. :lol
They've actually switched back and forth a lot. Though this is a bit of an oddity still; if there's any one pattern I'd noticed, it was that Famitsu numbers tended to be a bit closer to the center. For most of the year this meant PS3 sales slightly higher than MC, and Wii sales slightly lower. This week is the opposite, though.
justchris said:
This is easily solved, what's the LTD of the Wii, PS3 & 360 according to Famitsu now vs the LTD in MC?
Here aren't the numbers, but graphically. I haven't yet put up the new Famitsu numbers for tonight, so temporarily MC will seem to be two weeks ahead.

X360, weekly
X360, sum

PS3, weekly
PS3, sum

Wii, weekly
Wii, sum

donny2112

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Hopefully, SMG will inherit some of the Pokemon Red/Green magic: crappy debut, but word of mouth propelling it to the heavens.

Pokemon Red/Green/Blue is a magical, fairy-tale game that not only stayed on the Famitsu charts for almost four years, but also managed to sell 800,000 in a single week in October 1997 while only ranked #4 for that week.

Magic.

Fact: U.S. was the GameCube's strongest market for sales.
Reasonable belief: U.S. had the highest sales for Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii/GCN) due to that large contingent of GameCube owners who were still with Nintendo when Wii launched.

Theory:
Super Mario Galaxy launching so well in the U.S. is due to the GameCube audience having followed Nintendo to the Wii combined with the new audience that Wii Sports brings in. Japan having a moribund/desserted Nintendo console following by the time the Wii launched means that the GameCube owners who bought Sunshine in 2002-2003 were gone from Nintendo when the Wii launched. This would explain the lower-than-Sunshine sales of Super Mario Galaxy through three weeks.

Question:
How does Nintendo entice at least the GameCube audience to come back to Wii and possibly the PS2 audience? Will Brawl do it? Will Monster Hunter 3 and the sure-to-be more PS2 series that will be brought to Wii do it?

Curious.

apujanata

mutsu said:
I think that's what's happening too. Certainly that's what is happening in my own household, with my wife being scared to even pick up the 2nd controller to assist my gameplay.

Interesting. I was hoping to play this game with my gaming son, with me playing the 2nd controller :).

justchris

JoshuaJSlone said:
Wii comparisons: At 51 weeks, Wii is where GCN was at 215.1 weeks (October 23, 2005), where GBA was at 39.3 weeks (December 18, 2001), where DS was at 52.2 weeks (November 28, 2005), where PS2 was at 60.4 weeks (April 24, 2001), and where PSP was at 87.4 weeks (August 8, 2006).

Wii looks like it will soon fall behind DS, even with the holiday boost Wii will (hopefully) be getting. Of course, if Wii Fit is the blowout it's expected to be, Wii'll stay ahead for a while longer.

JoshuaJSlone said:
At week 46, total hardware sales have passed 13 million for the year. Last year this happened on week 51. Barring zombie holocaust, this year will set a new record by a large amount.

You realize, if there is a zombie holocaust it's all your fault.

JoshuaJSlone said:
They've actually switched back and forth a lot. Though this is a bit of an oddity still; if there's any one pattern I'd noticed, it was that Famitsu numbers tended to be a bit closer to the center. For most of the year this meant PS3 sales slightly higher than MC, and Wii sales slightly lower. This week is the opposite, though.

Here aren't the numbers, but graphically. I haven't yet put up the new Famitsu numbers for tonight, so temporarily MC will seem to be two weeks ahead.

X360, weekly
X360, sum

PS3, weekly
PS3, sum

Wii, weekly
Wii, sum

Well that's just odd. Except for some launch similarity, Famitsu has been consistently higher for both PS3 & 360, but has been almost dead on with MC for Wii (as far as totals go). Thanks JJ.

birdchili

donny2112 said:
Question:
How does Nintendo entice at least the GameCube audience to come back to Wii and possibly the PS2 audience? Will Brawl do it? Will Monster Hunter 3 and the sure-to-be more PS2 series that will be brought to Wii do it?
brawl isn't going to get much of the ps2 crowd - it's another ip targetted squarely at the gc folk.

i think nintendo needs a new ground-up wii ip to get the ps2 audience. something that supports longer play sessions and is more traditionally "core" than their new audience stuff.

Busaiku

justchris said:
Wii looks like it will soon fall behind DS, even with the holiday boost Wii will (hopefully) be getting. Of course, if Wii Fit is the blowout it's expected to be, Wii'll stay ahead for a while longer.
It's doubtful that Wii can stay with the DS. A few weeks from that point in its life was when it started selling half a million in a week, leading to the 1.5 year long shortage or so.

justchris

birdchili said:
brawl isn't going to get much of the ps2 crowd - it's another ip targetted squarely at the gc folk.

i think nintendo needs a new ground-up wii ip to get the ps2 audience. something that supports longer play sessions and is more traditionally "core" than their new audience stuff.

Well, there's always Disaster.

The game I mean, not what Wii's sales have been lately.

Busaiku said:
It's doubtful that Wii can stay with the DS. A few weeks from that point in its life was when it started selling half a million in a week, leading to the 1.5 year long shortage or so.

Unless Wii Fit pulls a Nintendogs or Brain Training, then yeah, that's probably the case. There are probably enough Wiis in the channel though that Wii could manage a half million week. It just remains to be seen if there are enough customers with that kind of interest.

sphinx

the piano man
I think in a few weeks we are going to be able to tell what is going on with the Japanese and the Wii.

I think even nintendo is somewhat shocked to see that in those close to 4 million Japanese WII owners, the " core nintendo fan" has very small representation. Super Mario Galaxy selling like it is is one hell of a revelation. Like someone else pointed before me, nintendo lost most of their faithful fanbase between 2003-2006 and the SMG sales results are backing this up.

I know a lot of people, friends (many girls among them) that would never, ever play a game by themselves but they do enjoy the Wii because they use it like it is a board game on weekend. Sports, Rayman, Play, MP 8... all those games are bought right away and enjoyed with friends and my guess is that this kind of gamer is predominant in the Japanese Wii install base. That's why we see terrific games with poor or no co-op multiplayer component bomb left and right ( Galaxy, Zack&Wiki, opoona, to name a few). Watch as Mario and Sonic breezes past SMG with tremendous ease this week... and Wii fit's success will be directly proportional to the joy and fun it provides in its multiplayer component.

Zelda? Mario? people stopped caring a few years ago. the few faithful nintendo had in the gamecube era felt burned and left them and now it seems like nintendo will have build up a hardcore fanbase all over again. IF we see big games from square, capcom, atlus and Konami for wii somewhere in the next years, then nintendo will be on their way to retrieve the core gamers' confidence.

Pachael

perfectchaos007 said:
Wow @ the rise of the PSP hardware. But the lack of PSP software makes me believe Japanese are using it for things other than UMD games...

Maybe - though Sony's been hyping its other abilities a bit more, so that's where the attention's getting at the moment. Like the TV tuner (JP), probably.

Innotech

Banned
I love how people claim the Wii is killing gaming when Sony hardware is selling largely on its NON GAMING-related features.

AniHawk

Innotech said:
I love how people claim the Wii is killing gaming when Sony hardware is selling largely on its NON GAMING-related features.

Well there is a slight difference. While I know the PSP and PS3 were more or less trojan horses to springboard Sony's new media formats, their focus within the realm of gaming was always the hardcore stuff. Nintendo's actively attracting a userbase that didn't or doesn't care about video games using "non-gaming" software, and a lot of companies are making their development teams follow suit. Nintendo is making more "hardcore" games than ever, but people will see what they want to see and draw conclusions from that.

AniHawk

Spike said:
So much for the turnaround...

Anyone who thought the PS3 sales spike would have a substantial boost was only fooling themselves. Price drops rarely provide any lasting effects in Japan. It's not the PS3's biggest problem there anyway.

perfectchaos007 said:
The real story here is the PSP

Damn. Sony's next portable should definitely take over the handheld market if Sony just doesn't screw it up.

Sony would have to provide the right kind of software. With the exception of Gran Turismo, it's something they have never been able to do in any market.

AniHawk said:
Well there is a slight difference. While I know the PSP and PS3 were more or less trojan horses to springboard Sony's new media formats, their focus within the realm of gaming was always the hardcore stuff. Nintendo's actively attracting a userbase that didn't or doesn't care about video games using "non-gaming" software, and a lot of companies are making their development teams follow suit. Nintendo is making more "hardcore" games than ever, but people will see what they want to see and draw conclusions from that.
You're such a Nintendo fanboy.

justchris

perfectchaos007 said:
The real story here is the PSP

Damn. Sony's next portable should definitely take over the handheld market if Sony just doesn't screw it up.

That's...pretty short-sighted. We don't know what direction either Sony or Nintendo will go with their next handhelds, and right now Nintendo's got the upper hand in software sales, and they're still selling more hardware, even with a 13 million unit lead.

JoshuaJSlone said:

PS3 comparisons: At 54 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 7.2 weeks (April 17, 2000), where PSP was at 23.5 weeks (May 18, 2005), where GCN was at 33.9 weeks (May 3, 2002), and where Wii was at 8.6 weeks (January 24, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 53.7 / 46.3, bringing total shares to 74.5 / 25.5. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 201.2 weeks (September 27, 2011).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 52.0 / 48.0, easily the closest week they've seen yet. This brings total shares to 26.0 / 74.0. At this week's rates, PS3 catches up to Wii in 839.6 weeks (December 21, 2023). If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 63.2 weeks (February 3, 2009).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates DS catches up to PS2 in 11.6 weeks (February 7, 2008) at ~20.9 million apiece.

At week 46, DS+DSL passes 6 million for the year. Last year, this happened on week 41. However, this still makes only the second time in history that a system has passed 6 million in a year in Japan.

In Japan, SMG sold 32% of SMS's total within 4 days. In the US... it didn't.

Ahahaha. No way they'd risk selling it to just the crowd that actually bothers to download, and keeps their fridge clean.

X360, weekly
X360, sum

PS3, weekly
PS3, sum

Wii, weekly
Wii, sum

damn you are way to invested in this. this post is by far the saddest thing i have ever seen on this forum.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Mr. Mister said:
damn you are way to invested in this. this post is by far the saddest thing i have ever seen on this forum.

In depth sales analysis is the saddest thing you've ever seen on this forum?

You need to look a lot harder.

Xavien

sphinx said:
I think in a few weeks we are going to be able to tell what is going on with the Japanese and the Wii.

I think even nintendo is somewhat shocked to see that in those close to 4 million Japanese WII owners, the " core nintendo fan" has very small representation. Super Mario Galaxy selling like it is is one hell of a revelation. Like someone else pointed before me, nintendo lost most of their faithful fanbase between 2003-2006 and the SMG sales results are backing this up.

I know a lot of people, friends (many girls among them) that would never, ever play a game by themselves but they do enjoy the Wii because they use it like it is a board game on weekend. Sports, Rayman, Play, MP 8... all those games are bought right away and enjoyed with friends and my guess is that this kind of gamer is predominant in the Japanese Wii install base. That's why we see terrific games with poor or no co-op multiplayer component bomb left and right ( Galaxy, Zack&Wiki, opoona, to name a few). Watch as Mario and Sonic breezes past SMG with tremendous ease this week... and Wii fit's success will be directly proportional to the joy and fun it provides in its multiplayer component.

Zelda? Mario? people stopped caring a few years ago. the few faithful nintendo had in the gamecube era felt burned and left them and now it seems like nintendo will have build up a hardcore fanbase all over again. IF we see big games from square, capcom, atlus and Konami for wii somewhere in the next years, then nintendo will be on their way to retrieve the core gamers' confidence.

I agree with this, while Nintendo managed to finally shake off the "kiddy" image with the Wii and DS, its a shame that they had to lose the hardcore in order to do it.

But if there's any company out there that can rebuild user-bases its Nintendo, so i'm not that worried.

Mr. Mister said:

I take it this is your first time in a sales-age thread? Get off the high horse.

Mr. Mister said:
Uh, if you're not into sales analysis and stats, just skip the sales threads and avoid insulting other posters needlessly, eh?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Segata Sanshiro said:
Uh, if you're not into sales analysis and stats, just skip the sales threads and avoid insulting other posters needlessly, eh?

But how else will we know Mr. Mister's opinion on such matters?

i guess i struck a nerve. i like sales threads, numbers are interesting all that jazz. that kid just keeps numbers stocked up for years and spins every number into nintendo being awesome.

obviously this makes him some what of a god to nintenthings. to me its just mind blowing.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Mr. Mister said:

Did... did you just...

Did you really just diss JoshuaJSlone? Really?

Mr. Mister said:
i guess i struck a nerve. i like sales threads, numbers are interesting all that jazz. that kid just keeps numbers stocked up for years and spins every number into nintendo being awesome.

obviously this makes him some what of a god to nintenthings. to me its just mind blowing.

Wait. What? You have no fucking clue what you are talking about, do you?

Mr. Mister said:

Why are you so surprised that you struck a nerve with your fucking drive-by insulting of a really high quality poster? You don't have to agree with someone to respect them as a member of the GAF community, and JoshJ (even though his fave is obvious) is one of the better posters on these boards. You, on the other hand, appear to be a total douchebag.

put it this way, if someone collected say empty ocean spray bottles -- say this person was super invested in the shapes and size of ocean spray bottles and how they stack up againt tropicana. say that guy made graphs and charts about it -- it was an all consuming task, it was slowly swallowing his soul and driving him mad.

everyone would say damn that guy is kind of weird. thats all im saying.

reilo said:
Did... did you just...

Did you really just diss JoshuaJSlone? Really?

Wait. What? You have no fucking clue what you are talking about, do you?
He has no clue.

Just ignore him before he posts again.

Mr. Mister said:
put it this way, if someone collected say empty ocean spray bottles -- say this person was super invested in the shapes and size of ocean spray bottles and how they stack up againt tropicana. say that guy made graphs and charts about it -- it was an all consuming task, it was slowly swallowing his soul and driving him mad.

No fucking clue...

Mr. Mister said:

I'll bet that with the scripts Josh has in place, posts like that one take him all of half a minute to whip up. Don't presume to know how much time a person spends on things, and really, even if he did, what do you do that's so much more important with your spare time?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Mr. Mister said:

1. Who says it's an 'all consuming task'?
2. If there were other people that were interested in this particular info (hence one of the reasons he's continuing such a thing), then no, no one should give a shit.

schuelma

Mr. Mister said:

put it this way..let's say someone came into a thread and acted like a douche.

everyone would say damn that guy is kind of a douchebag.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Mr. Mister said:

I think I discovered your problem.

baby_crying_closeup.jpg

Yep, there it is.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Mr. Mister said:

Nintendo is being awesome Mr Mr Mister.

justchris

Mr. Mister said:

I hate to pull a Jeff Bell on you, but what have you contributed to this thread so far?

JJS is consistently helpful and considerate in his posts, and provides a lot of information other don't have the time or skill to acquire. We may not always agree with his analysis, but he serves a valuable purpose. What do you do?

im surprised you guys have time to post so much, shouldnt you be playing super mario galaxy?

ohh wait maybe you guys are japanese.

schuelma

Mr. Mister said:
im surprised you guys have time to post so much, shouldnt you be playing super mario galaxy?

ohh wait maybe you guys are japanese.

Shouldn't you be posting in the Jade Raymond thread like you have been doing?

Top Bottom