• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PS4 Details: Automatic Caching Games Not Install

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Read the whole conversation.

jAx ‏@jacks81x 28 Aug
@yosp @antic604 @riki_achmadi
Just to clarity. You mean you just can't install the ENTIRE game from a disc onto the HDD right?

jAx ‏@jacks81x 28 Aug
@antic604 @riki_achmadi @yosp You would still be able to install part of the game (if it's an option) for faster loads, like you can on PS3?

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp 28 Aug
@jacks81x @antic604 @Riki_Achmadi right

He's actually pretty clear. All he said was you can't install the disc and throw it away like the original version of Xbone.

Info is wrong, or your reading it wrong. All games fully install in the background while playing them, so yes Killzone takes up 39GB for the entire time it's on the system, you can delete this data at any time, but if want to play it again you have to have 39GB free on the system. This is fact

Lion

Okay so Yoshida answered my question. It seems there still gonna be loadings in the cache form so you still get the option to install part of the game like current consoles do. But yeah full installs is unnecessary since you still need the disc of each physical game to play.

Edit: I guess is a good thing for those who thought they would need 50GB HDD space for each game in their collection. They should have made this point clear from the beginning as there is a lot of confusion on it.

ckohler

I've been saying this is how it will work for months ever since Cerny had that interview about how PlayGo works with disc games.

Jack_AG

Banned
Not necessarily true. You may have to clear it out manually.
If space is used as swap - it remains in swap until the system dumps it or gets written over. I doubt there will be an option to clear the system cache, IMO. Its not something that needs to be done, tbh.

Iacobellis

Sony redeemed themselves with this one.

Either Microsoft does away with the mandatory installs or gets external HDD support out quick.

-fresh PS4
-pop in KZ
-it starts to copy over 40GB of data onto my drive as i play it
-i turn it off and put in CoD
-it starts to put in 49GB of data as i play it
-repeat until hdd almost full
-put in knack and it starts to copy over data as i play
-when it gets close to running out, the KZ data begins to delete

this is how cache works, yes? or does it delete the data from the hdd as soon as i take out the game disc? this is what i was hoping for in the other threads.

Pop

Why would you want to install disk games now? It does all the caching while playing the game. I think some of you are just extremely lazy and don't want to get up off your ass and switch disks. Jeez haha

Yeah so go ahead and download those 50GB digital titles. You might be able to play 2-3 hours later but at least you won't ever have to push that little button to pop the disk out. Hard work there.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Full game installs like on 360, not just part of it like on PS3.
That is what you are going to get on PS4.

-fresh PS4
-pop in KZ

this is how cache works, yes? or does it delete the data from the hdd as soon as i take out the game disc? this is what i was hoping for in the other threads.
I believe Yoshida doesn't mean cache in the tradition sense. What he meant is the game will install in the background as you play.

Caronte

Dude, i've got bad news about those full game installs on 360...

I know you need the disk in the console, I don't have a problem with that.

Why the hell would you want that? Seriously think about what you are saying instead of just taking every opportunity to moan.

Less noise, longer durability for the optical drive, less writing on the hard drive, etc. Why wouldn't I want that?

-fresh PS4
-pop in KZ

It works how it is designed to work.

Most logically would be how you explain it - and is how your browser cache works.

But equally, if they wanted it to it could only cache with the disc present but that would be pointless and not efficient.

They could even go right only cache the data for 1 minute, but that'd again be pointless.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
-fresh PS4
-pop in KZ

This is a background feature so I'd imagine it automatically writes over the existing cache for the first game you played.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Less noise, longer durability for the optical drive, less writing on the hard drive, etc. Why wouldn't I want that?

Because once it's fully cached it would be as good as an install. It just doesn't take up a space permanently. That's the only difference. Remember that the Blu-ray drive is three times faster and Sony have new tech to make shifting data more efficient.

-fresh PS4
-pop in KZ

This is how I believe it works although I can't confirm that. I'm thinking there will be a certain % of HDD space allocated to game disc installs. Once that gets full, older installs are removed.

Seeing as the game install is seamless, I simply can't see how Sony would then want manual deletions to get in the way. It takes a while to delete 30GB from an HDD and that's just a barrier to quick play.

Why would you want to install disk games now? It does all the caching while playing the game. I think some of you are just extremely lazy and don't want to get up off your ass and switch disks. Jeez haha

Yeah so go ahead and download those 50GB digital titles. You might be able to play 2-3 hours later but at least you won't ever have to push that little button to pop the disk out. Hard work there.

This whole stuff amazes me. I mean I understand the need for things to be faster, but overall thisndoes not seem more convenient.

When we have fast switching of titles with small file sizes that are cheaper and get direct to gameplay id be interested in DD..oh wait.

Why does everyone hate indies again?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why the hell would you want that? Seriously think about what you are saying instead of just taking every opportunity to moan.

Sony and MS are fucked either way. Any option presented whether it's full installs, partial installs or caching is apparently going to cause one group of people to complain. Hell, all I want to do is play a game without excessive amounts of loading.

ibv7hzPXNnkgV8.png

Lion

Those reasons are pretty irrelevant, except for the less noise one. I think if you install part of the game on the HDD the disc reads could perhaps be slow enough to be heard?

You wont have problems with the optical drive having it do what is meant to do throughout the whole generation. The same goes for the hard drive writings (unless we are speaking of a SSD).

Ce-Lin

so basically the same as PS3 works since 2010, some GB reserved in the HDD for game caching (files most used), when the cache becomes full then cache for the oldest game get deleted, this was rather apparent in games such as MAG.

Derpcrawler

I really hope we will get an option to do full permanent installs or at least manage that cache and force some games to be cached permanently, say I play Battlefield 4 all year around but only when my buddies online, so if they are offline for few weeks that means no BF4 for few weeks. But when they do come online I want to jump straight to the game and don't have to deal with slow load times while console caches game again.

Alec

I don't want the temptation of loaning out\trading in my games. I don't want boxes or physical media. I went through an extensive collection phase years back and I don't want to amass another hoard.

I also have a 50Gb internet connection so I'm not worried about download speeds. PSN keeps up with it pretty handily most of the time.

I also plan on doing a lot of Remote Play. It would be a hassle to switch discs from another end of the house, let alone from someone else's house.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Good news is bad news and bad news is good news and good news is bad news and ... By Christ I hope some of you don't apply these rules to real life.

Valnen

Good news is bad news and bad news is good news and good news is bad news and ... By Christ I hope some of you don't apply these rules to real life.

This is pretty much bad news for me. I thought this whole time all games would auto install in the backround, preserving the life of my blu-ray drive. Sure it'd be more wear and tear on the hard drive but that can be replaced myself without voiding the warranty.

RaikuHebi

Banned
This is pretty much bad news for me. I thought this whole time all games would auto install in the backround, preserving the life of my blu-ray drive. Sure it'd be more wear and tear on the hard drive but that can be replaced myself without voiding the warranty.
I repeat again, I think it will work the way you thought it would be. The use of the word 'caching' is just Yoshida's way of saying that I think.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

But once it's cached it won't use the Blu-ray anywhere near as much, if at all. It's like a 'temporary' install. It just means the console can manage the space available and you don't have to worry about it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This is pretty much bad news for me. I thought this whole time all games would auto install in the backround, preserving the life of my blu-ray drive.

Yep, that's how it works. Straight from the mouth of Cerny himself:

Gamasutra said:
However, PlayGo "is two separate linked systems," Cerny said. The other is to do with the Blu-ray drive -- to help with the fact that it is, essentially, a bit slow for next-gen games.

"So, what we do as the game accesses the Blu-ray disc, is we take any data that was accessed and we put it on the hard drive. And if then if there is idle time, we go ahead and copy the remaining data to the hard drive. And what that means is after an hour or two, the game is on the hard drive, and you have access, you have dramatically quicker loading... And you have the ability to do some truly high-speed streaming."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/191007/inside_the_playstation_4_with_mark_.php?page=3

Yoshida pointing out that this is more of a cache than a traditional install doesn't change anything. The article this thread is based on is just making stuff up, nowhere has anyone from Sony said what that article is claiming.

Lion

As someone who's had to open up his PS3 to replace his blu-ray drive, they're very very relevant.

Technology matures thought (doesn't mean the ps4 drives will be better, but is at least what you could expect). I mean I know what happened with the first ps2 disc drives but that is an extreme case.

Some things will break eventually, but I find this argument of "not using something because it may break" a surreal reason. It is a non-issue even if it happened to you, it can happen to anyone, things break. I haven't had any problem with the disc drive on my consoles but I guess some people have had.

In fact I think the disc drives might get less use now than before where u will always need the disc spinning on games, if we go by the logic that once the games is fully cached it wont need to spin anymore, or not at full speeds anyways.

Mrbob

The original Xbox did this. Is the PS4 OS setting aside a hefty amount of hdd space to ensure caching will always work? Would need at least 50GB to be safe.

I'm going to say there is a mistranslation and the games fully install to the hdd.

Elios83

LOL there are at least three different interpretations in this thread.

1) It's like a background install
2) It's pure caching, a game needs 50GB free to run, after you're done the datas are made free.
3) 50GB on the hard drive are reserved for caching and they are used by all games, actual installs don't exist.

So well...it seems like it's something to clear up :p

c0de

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Exactly, the article is just fantasizing stuff.

Question:

Sorry to ask this here, but I'm confused. Does the PS4 have mandatory game installs to the HDD? Or is that optional?

Yohida:

it's automatic, not install but caching data

If it was permanent it would be an install and Yosh would have answered differently. This article is correct. You don't have to worry about filling your HDD up.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Yohida:

If it was permanent it would be an install and Yosh would have answered differently. This article is correct. You don't have to worry about filling your HDD up.
Yoshida is using the wrong terminology. Up till now everything we've heard is about full installs in the background. Yoshida has just used the wrong word to describe it.

Top Bottom