• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/19 - 11/25 2007

reilo said:
75k/week versus 25k/week is a big difference though.
Sure. So is 150K/week versus 60K/week. Neither is doing what they were a few months ago. Both are still doing well in comparison to what came before them.

ksamedi

Crusade said:
DS's release list was rather anemic, if only to excuse it. Wii had it's biggest and most important game to date come out (Galaxy), to no avail. Plus Umbrella Chronicles

Really, Wii's biggest game is Wiifit. Galaxy was hyped by some people here who had no idea of how 3D Mario sales compared to 2D Mario game sales. Umbrella Chronicles didn't do bad numbers at all as well, I'm sure it will pass Capcoms expectations easily. If WiiFit fails, than Nintendo should worry because I doubt that they have as big an idea as that one ready for release soon afterwards. If WiiFit succeeds though, they could position the Wii as some kind of a health system just like they positioned the DS as a (mental) function trainer (Brain training, Kanji training, English training and what not). I fully expect something with reflex training in it for Wii.

donny2112 said:
Wow. They even include PantherLotus's charts from these threads! :D

Edit:

Then again, maybe it's not "Wow."
What am I missing? Is it one of the banned memes?

All it is, is a circle jerk for Nintendo sales. Not really much in the way of meaningful discussion.

(though it was nice seeing panther being recognized)

donny2112

Crusade said:
DS's release list was rather anemic, if only to excuse it. Wii had it's biggest and most important game to date come out (Galaxy), to no avail. Plus Umbrella Chronicles

Yeah, the DS only had Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time (1 million sales), and the weekly sales went up 2,000 in its release week. That's nothing like Super Mario Galaxy where sales went up 10,000 in its release week. Plus Mario Party DS.

ksamedi

*Guaraná said:
super smash bros brawl

Really, we should all stop putting so much faith in games that didn't do anything for the Gamecube at all. These games cause bumps, but don't sell consistently like NSMB or Brain Training.

test_account

XP-39C²
donny2112 said:
Wow. They even include PantherLotus's charts from these threads! :D[/spoiler]

I would guess the one who made it reads or is a member of NeoGaf since i noticed alot of "NeoGAF .gifs" in there. Maybe the .gifs are used broad on other forums to tho, but since the charts are in there too i would guess its a member or a reader of NeoGAF :)

dionysus

Yaldog
test_account said:
I would guess the one who made it reads or is a member of NeoGaf since i noticed alot of "NeoGAF .gifs" in there. Maybe the .gifs are used broad on other forums to tho, but since the charts are in there too i would guess its a member or a reader of NeoGAF :)

It was as much a neogaf circle jerk as a Wii circle jerk, unless those memes and gifs are everywhere.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
One of the search tags is Neogaf and the person who posted it has the same avatar as the person on youtube who uploaded that.

sphinx

the piano man
theKoopa said:
THIS IS SPARTAAAA xD

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Wow, like 90% of the stuff in that video was made by gaffers, that wiigirl owes credit to at least 20 people from here... She could have mentioned somewhere she "took" most of the images from here..

EDIT: well, yeah... it's in the tags... it suffices I guess. :p
(not like it really matters does it? )

test_account

XP-39C²
dionysus said:
It was as much a neogaf circle jerk as a Wii circle jerk, unless those memes and gifs are everywhere.

I dont know, i'm just saying :) These "Wii is owning PS3 sales" and so on videos are getting pretty old tho.

webshark

dionysus said:

im pretty new here (like 3 days...) almost all of that stuff i had seen across the net at other sites, that being said tho, it was still pretty funny, just from having all those gifs and references in there.

spwolf

ksamedi said:
Really, Wii's biggest game is Wiifit. Galaxy was hyped by some people here who had no idea of how 3D Mario sales compared to 2D Mario game sales. Umbrella Chronicles didn't do bad numbers at all as well, I'm sure it will pass Capcoms expectations easily. If WiiFit fails, than Nintendo should worry because I doubt that they have as big an idea as that one ready for release soon afterwards. If WiiFit succeeds though, they could position the Wii as some kind of a health system just like they positioned the DS as a (mental) function trainer (Brain training, Kanji training, English training and what not). I fully expect something with reflex training in it for Wii.

wii fit will do great, if not in japan, then worldwide. Is it really an game though? Kind of silly downplaying SMG for Wii Fit...

Crusade

ksamedi said:
Whether the hopes were misplaced isn't my point. Galaxy is Wii's best game, and it was the game with the most hope placed in it to pull Wii out of the rut. Only after reality set in did we look to Wii Fit.

donny2112 said:
Yeah, the DS only had Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Darkness/Time (1 million sales), and the weekly sales went up 2,000 in its release week. That's nothing like Super Mario Galaxy where sales went up 10,000 in its release week. Plus Mario Party DS.
And DS just had DQIV and sales went up close to 50k

ksamedi

spwolf said:
wii fit will do great, if not in japan, then worldwide. Is it really an game though? Kind of silly downplaying SMG for Wii Fit...

Whether the hopes were misplaced isn't my point. Galaxy is Wii's best game, and it was the game with the most hope placed in it to pull Wii out of the rut. Only after reality set in did we look to Wii Fit.

Its not what kind of a game it is, but its the key to a lot of third party support. It happened with the DS as well after it exploded with Brain Training. Sales attract third parties, which in return attract a more hardcore audiance.

the only game that sold over 1mi in Japan for GCN. If that's not doing "something for the gamecube", than i don't know what is.

It sold well, and bumped the Cube hardware by quite a bit, but it didn't last. You need games that last a lot longer than Smash. Then you can build momentum.

*Guaraná

Banned
ksamedi said:
Really, we should all stop putting so much faith in games that didn't do anything for the Gamecube at all. These games cause bumps, but don't sell consistently like NSMB or Brain Training.
the only game that sold over 1mi in Japan for GCN. If that's not doing "something for the gamecube", than i don't know what is.

Grecco

Crusade said:
. Only after reality set in did we look to Wii Fit.

Most people with half a brain decided at E307 that Wii Fit would be the next huge hit.

It wasnt until people actually played Mario Galaxy that it started to get hype and some foolish expectations of a NSB type of sales. Most people were blinded by its awesomeness to remeber that 3D Marios have been on a downward trend in Japan (Myself included). Cant blame us though. Mario is pretty awesome.

Crusade

Grecco said:
Most people with half a brain decided at E307 that Wii Fit would be the next huge hit.

It wasnt until people actually played Mario Galaxy that it started to get hype and some foolish expectations of a NSB type of sales. Most people were blinded by its awesomeness to remeber that 3D Marios have been on a downward trend in Japan (Myself included). Cant blame us though. Mario is pretty awesome.
Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying people weren't expecting Wii Fit to be a success beforehand. Just that Mario Galaxy was supposed to push Wii's. Don't give me this crap, hindsight is 20/20. Nobody expected Galaxy to bomb, nobody would've been convinced that because Sunshine did so-so, that meant anything for Galaxy

Brak

botticus said:
What happened when the Wii got DQS? (half-rhetorical, since I don't recall the exact numbers)
The Wii was still supply constrained at the time so it's not a very good comparison.

ksamedi

The way I see it is that a lot of Japanese companies must have already started on Wii development for a while now. I'm fully expecting that in 2008 the Wii will have some serious third party support from a lot of companies. This can only mean more trouble for the PS3. If WiiFit explodes, than I can't see how the PS3 could become the dominent system in Japan because WiiFit would have done its job as Brain Training did for the DS, which attracted a lot of third party support and made the system quite hardcore. The Wii already has a Nintendogs equivalent with Wiisports, now all it needs is a Brain training type game.

spwolf

ksamedi said:
Its not what kind of a game it is, but its the key to a lot of third party support. It happened with the DS as well after it exploded with Brain Training. Sales attract third parties, which in return attract a more hardcore audiance.

how can it not matter when it is an fitness product and not really an game?

I dont think 3rd party will care about Wii Fit too much - they probably want games like SMG to sell systems and not fitness devices.

webshark

spwolf said:

I dont think 3rd party will care about Wii Fit too much - they probably want games like SMG to sell systems and not fitness devices.

brain training isnt really a videogame in the traditional sense either, look what it did to ds

botticus

Brak said:
The Wii was still supply constrained at the time so it's not a very good comparison.
True, but it's also the last time Wii hit 100k, which is the peak that current sales are being compared to, I guess, rather than the 60-80k plateau following its release (it was below 50k beginning 6 weeks later).

ksamedi

spwolf said:

That really doesn't matter if Wii sells 100k + numbers every week (if that happens ofcourse). Even if WiiFit is the cause of this, you can asume that there are other people in the household as well, or that these people who buy WiiFit also buy other games. In any case, there will be some serious third party support wich will lead to more hardcore gamers buying the system as well. Nintendo doesn't have the privilige of counting on mega third party franchises to hit the Wii first, it has to earn them.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Well, apparently they didn't RECKANIZE, but it was cool to see a lot of my stuff in a random foreign video that pays homage to everything neoGaf and sales-age.

Of mine, I saw:
1. weekly MC LTD pie charts (animated much better than I ever did) (@ :50)
2. LTD line chart (@1:29)
3. Wii/DS heaven/jesus picture (@2:24)
4. Wii girl poppin mouth.gif (@3:02)

Cheese: pie charts (@2:56)

So, either I'm being stalked by Wiigirl (who did have the balls to say "copyright 2007 wiigirl" at the end of the vid), or I spend entirely too much time doing Wii sales/.gif/memes. I actually really like the video, and think it's an homage to neoGaf in general. I can see how it's a bit fanboyish though.

ksamedi said:
Super Smash Bros. Melee was in the top 30 pretty regularly for a good half year, and even popped back up at #27 one week over a year from release.

As for hardware, the week of SSBM's release accounted for 3% of GCN's final userbase. Even if we credit no further hardware sales to SSBM, that would still be a notable one-time influence.

Going back to much earlier in the thread...
ethelred said:
As it stands, you've got a machine that's selling hardware like a PS2 and selling traditional game software like a PSP...
A bit of an exaggeration. Twilight Princess, Dragon Quest Swords, Super Paper Mario, and even Super Mario Galaxy have sold better than anything in PSP's first year. Mario Party 8 and WarioWare, too, depending on whether pre-DS series can get grandfathered in as being "traditional".

Frillen

DSL 116,694
PSP 75,027
Wii 54,362
PS3 50,564
PS2 14,875
Xbox360 7,117
GC 44
GBM 42
GBASP 31
GBA 9

Uh oh... Nighy night...

I take it they don't include PC games? 'cuz I seriously find it hard to believe that Wings of the Goddess 360 outsold Wings of the Goddess PC. The devteam said themselves that more Japanese players are starting to play on PC than PS2.

Satter

Banned
Frillen said:
DSL 116,694
PSP 75,027
Wii 54,362
PS3 50,564
PS2 14,875
Xbox360 7,117
GC 44
GBM 42
GBASP 31
GBA 9

Uh oh... Nighy night...

Son of a bitch. I guess DQIV didn't do that much after all.

test_account

XP-39C²
Kastrioti said:
:lol So much for that price drop.

Going from somewhat 10-15k a week to somewhat 50k a week shows that the pricedrop (and the new games) did have some effect. Its only been 3 weeks, so its impossible to say how long it would last.

31./00. [PS2] 48 (Banpresto)
32./25. [NDS] Kanji Brain Test 2.5M (IE Institute)
33./28. [PSP] Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Capcom)
34./05. [NDS] Game Center CX: Arino's Challenge (Bandai-Namco)
35./00. [PS2] Dokapon Kingdom (Sting)
36./32. [NDS] More Brain Age (Nintendo)
37./40. [WII] Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
38./31. [NDS] Animal Crossing Wild World (Nintendo)
39./07. [PS3] Heavenly Sword (Sony)
40./00. [PSP] Air (Prototype)
41./30. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony)
42./44. [NDS] Prof. Layton and the Curious Village (Level 5)
43./15. [PS3] Ratchet & Clank Future (Sony)
44./38. [NDS] Cooking Mama 2 (Taito)
45./36. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
46./33. [NDS] Tamagotchi no Puchi-Puchi Omisecchi: Thanks Everybody! (Bandai-Namco)
47./46. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)
48./34. [PSP] Gundam Battle Chronicle (Bandai-Namco)
49./39. [NDS] Kanji Test 2 (Rocket Co.)
50./10. [PS2] Armored Soldiers: Votoms (Bandai-Namco)

NDS - 27
WII - 7
PS2 - 6
PS3 - 5
PSP - 3
360 - 2

hardware.gif

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -   116,694 |    76,084 | 6,153,877 | 20,159,556
2. PSP   -    75,027 |    65,609 | 2,385,574 |  6,917,703
3. WII   -    54,362 |    36,230 | 2,951,022 |  3,870,665
4. PS3   -    50,564 |    39,178 |   934,310 |  1,391,868
5. PS2   -    14,875 |     8,855 |   682,503 | 20,837,362
6. 360   -     7,117 |     6,525 |   202,358 |    467,060
7. GBA   -        82 |       262 |    50,247 | 15,348,326
8. NGC   -        44 |        38 |    10,385 |  4,179,853
GBA = 9 GBA + 31 SP + 42 Micro
NDS = 0 DS + 116,694 Lite

s_20071119.png

Leonsito

Frillen said:
DSL 116,694
PSP 75,027
Wii 54,362
PS3 50,564
PS2 14,875
Xbox360 7,117
GC 44
GBM 42
GBASP 31
GBA 9

Uh oh... Nighy night...

What the hell, that's some serious discrepance with Famitsu numbers, in all the consoles, including Xbox, does anyone knows the methods of the two trackers ?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Grecco said:

Stop.

Prior to Mario Galaxy there were only 2 3d Marios. It is not possible for 2 points to be a trend.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Pretty significant Wii hardware bump. Just general holiday push, or Wii Fit anticipation?

Top Bottom