• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
Like a loud German fart.

You need an exhaust on your car ASAP. S5x/M5x series sounds so fucking amazing with a quality exhaust. One of my favorite engine notes ever. Makes me want to get a clean E36 M3 and mod the shit out of it. God damn I love those cars + engines.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
theres also a new viper parked right in front of the r8 with temp tags lol.

Both are stick shift too. At least the suits here know whats up.

Both of those cars are old and not very expensive at all. The Viper is old as dirt, looks like pre-facelift car. They can be had for like $50K

Yesterday I went to my first ever track day at Barbagallo Raceway! There was 11 GTRs there plus the Lambo. Since my GTR is original and unmodified obviously it was going to be relatively slow.

First time out, I had my instructor Chris Reynolds (2007-2009 RAC Sprint Championship Winner in a R32 GTR, and currently owns a 1500hp Torana) drive with me passenger. He went through a fair bit about seating position, being relaxed while driving, driving smoothly, which lines to take around the track, breaking, which gears to be in etc. A massive amount of information to take in. The first time out was 1 warm up lap, 3 hot laps and then 1 cool down lap. During the fast laps I was pretty much hanging on being pretty impressed with the handling... only to be told we were nowhere near the limits. This was around the 'Short' track.

After letting the car cool down, next I went out by myself which went well. Didn't go anywhere near the limits where Chris was previously. 3 fast laps plus a warm up and slow down lap.

After another break, the track was switched to the 'Long' track which is the same used for the V8 Supercars (that I went to earlier in the year). Chris came in the car again to provide more guidance on the racing lines for the long track, this time as passenger. We went out for 3 more fast laps.

Later on I went out for the final time by myself, this time for 5 fast laps plus the warm up and cool down laps. The video of the fast 5 laps is linked below. I was a bit more confident at this point (but without wanting to overdo it or go right to the limit). I was also pretty easy on the brakes too (they cost a lot to replace lol). Not once during the driving was I relaxed and breathing deeply like Chris had suggested. Down the side straight I was going up to the car's speed limiter of 180kph.

Approx lap times:

Comparison: 57.53 for V8 Supercars - VE Commodore

All in all a good day, car ran perfectly with no problems. Only GTR to have any problems was the R33 with 610awhp which blew up a gearbox unfortunately.

Thanks to Josh from Galvsport for organising the track day and Chris Reynolds for the professional driving training.

HD Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmrNx6f54jU

The video looks a lot slower than I was actually going!

20131029_081608_zps6b8318c9.jpg

20131029_103441_zps64fb31ad.jpg

20131029_122958_zps961a5f19.jpg

coldfoot

Banned
Noticed that the frame rate of the Viper dash cluster suffers horribly when the red viper effect starts near the redline. Dodge pls, you need to put a better cpu/gpu in there to maintain 60fps at all times.
Due to where I live, sadly, the power of the infotainment processor is more important than the power of the engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSC_9jFggaQ

So in the past couple of months I've had the release bearing/slave cylinder unit and the master cylinder replaced in my '06 Volvo S40. I have also had the system bled a few times by my mechanic.

Every so often the clutch pedal still feels soft and/or won't return on its own. Any ideas? Still some air in the system, maybe I won the parts lottery and got a bad brand new slave?

No Love

Banned
I have listened to a lot of videos on YT but having heard anything IRL.
Youtube videos only capture 30% of the sound tones. Irl sounds 20x better. Everyone uses really shitty microphones am dncant capture the deep and rich tones of a good exhaust. :/ so hard to find good exhaust videos on yt.

No Love

Banned
Yesterday I went to my first ever track day at Barbagallo Raceway! There was 11 GTRs there plus the Lambo. Since my GTR is original and unmodified obviously it was going to be relatively slow.

First time out, I had my instructor Chris Reynolds (2007-2009 RAC Sprint Championship Winner in a R32 GTR, and currently owns a 1500hp Torana) drive with me passenger. He went through a fair bit about seating position, being relaxed while driving, driving smoothly, which lines to take around the track, breaking, which gears to be in etc. A massive amount of information to take in. The first time out was 1 warm up lap, 3 hot laps and then 1 cool down lap. During the fast laps I was pretty much hanging on being pretty impressed with the handling... only to be told we were nowhere near the limits. This was around the 'Short' track.
After letting the car cool down, next I went out by myself which went well. Didn't go anywhere near the limits where Chris was previously. 3 fast laps plus a warm up and slow down lap.

After another break, the track was switched to the 'Long' track which is the same used for the V8 Supercars (that I went to earlier in the year). Chris came in the car again to provide more guidance on the racing lines for the long track, this time as passenger. We went out for 3 more fast laps.

Later on I went out for the final time by myself, this time for 5 fast laps plus the warm up and cool down laps. The video of the fast 5 laps is linked below. I was a bit more confident at this point (but without wanting to overdo it or go right to the limit). I was also pretty easy on the brakes too (they cost a lot to replace lol). Not once during the driving was I relaxed and breathing deeply like Chris had suggested. Down the side straight I was going up to the car's speed limiter of 180kph.

Approx lap times:

Comparison: 57.53 for V8 Supercars - VE Commodore

All in all a good day, car ran perfectly with no problems. Only GTR to have any problems was the R33 with 610awhp which blew up a gearbox unfortunately.

Thanks to Josh from Galvsport for organising the track day and Chris Reynolds for the professional driving training.

HD Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmrNx6f54jU

The video looks a lot slower than I was actually going!

20131029_081608_zps6b8318c9.jpg

20131029_103441_zps64fb31ad.jpg

20131029_122958_zps961a5f19.jpg

Fuuuck. I love your r34. Best gtr, best color. Wish we could get them in the US, I wouldve already bought one. :( lucky bastard!!!

Yesterday I went to my first ever track day at Barbagallo Raceway!

That looked rather fun! I take it that it was a nice feeling running around with vaious generation skylines.

Seeing your car reminds me of my goal to own a BNR34 in a few years. That's my next "project car" purchase.

Fuuuck. I love your r34. Best gtr, best color. Wish we could get them in the US, I wouldve already bought one. :( lucky bastard!!!

Bayside Blue = Best Blue!

Oh and you could own one. the Fed Legal ones are a premium penny. The grey market ones are floating about, but then you'd risk ICE squad kicking down your front door.

AlphaSnake

I remember when Sony was releasing screens of GT4 and used the R34 in that color.

Hnnnggg

hwalker84

So this guy has a fake 2013 BMW M5 down the street. Its a 5 series with the M Sport package that he removed all the badges and put M5 on.... SMDH

ascii42

So this guy has a fake 2013 BMW M5 down the street. Its a 5 series with the M Sport package that he removed all the badges and put M5 on.... SMDH

I've never gotten that. Most people who'd know/care what an M5 was would probably also know the difference. I guess that sort of thing is targeted at the few who don't?

Speaking of R34's somebody posted this on r/Miata...

$%28KGrHqR,!ngFJj,PTF5gBScIhseRlQ~~60_57.JPG

$%28KGrHqZ,!l4FJZb6HRR9BScIw,gYnQ~~60_57.JPG

It looks like a regular modified Miata... I wonder what's under the hood?

$T2eC16N,!%298FJgLRvB6CBScIhw!dIQ~~60_57.JPG

I need a better look!

$T2eC16F,!)MFIcRDgdQeBScIwfUmGQ~~60_57.JPG

NISMO.... is that what I think it is?!?!

$T2eC16R,!ywFI4rL9Jw%29BScY4ol%29w!~~60_57.JPG

RB25DET swap on a Miata... *froths at the mouth*

As a Mazda and Nissan fanboy, hnnnnnggggg is all I can say at this moment.

Mazda MX 5 Miata Monster

Ty4on

So in the past couple of months I've had the release bearing/slave cylinder unit and the master cylinder replaced in my '06 Volvo S40. I have also had the system bled a few times by my mechanic.

Every so often the clutch pedal still feels soft and/or won't return on its own. Any ideas? Still some air in the system, maybe I won the parts lottery and got a bad brand new slave?

Just googled the problem and I'm wondering if there could be a leak?

Please don't laugh at me as I'm not a car guy at all. How much would you expect to replace a 2002 Ford Focus muffler, pipe, and tailpipe? Two different mom and pop shops in my town quoted me around $570 after labor, before taxes. I thought that seemed especially high.

They are saying about $300 for the muffler/pipe
$132 for the tailpipe
$118 for the labor

Watevaman

Please don't laugh at me as I'm not a car guy at all. How much would you expect to replace a 2002 Ford Focus muffler, pipe, and tailpipe? Two different mom and pop shops in my town quoted me around $570 after labor, before taxes. I thought that seemed especially high.

$132 for the tailpipe
$118 for the labor

I'll let others chime in as well, but that doesn't sound that bad. I was quoted about $230 or so just for a mid pipe for my 1990 Subie Legacy from my cousin who gets stuff direct.

$132 for the tailpipe
$118 for the labor

Labour is reasonable but I don't know about about $430 for muffler and tail pipe. Seems a bit expensive. Were there any other parts that they said needed to be replaced?

Labour is reasonable but I don't know about about $430 for muffler and tail pipe. Seems a bit expensive. Were there any other parts that they said needed to be replaced?

Yeah but I think they only totaled around $12. Clamp and gasket I think.

I have a coupon that can knock about $60 off.

$132 for the tailpipe
$118 for the labor

Several large pieces of metal are being replaced on your vehicle by skilled labor at a shop with lots of overhead.

Yeah that's a fine price, maybe a touch high on the pipe but that varies wildly from car to car.

Yeah but I think they only totaled around $12. Clamp and gasket I think.

I have a coupon that can knock about $60 off.

With your $60 discount, it seems more reasonable. I looked on Ford's site and their OE parts cost is along the lines of what was quoted to you. Those must be what both dealers plan to use.

I had initially looked at non OE parts, where there are options at lower prices. (I used non OE parts when I had my exhaust system on my 98 Ford ZX2 replaced. I had gotten my Resonator/Exhaust Pipe/Muffler replaced)

Reven

So I was in Vegas this week with my family, and me and my dad decided it might be fun to rent a Penske Mustang from Hertz. Of course they were all out.

So we ended up splitting the rental on a 2013 Porsche Boxster. I have never even been in a Porsche, let alone driven one, but I am convinced of their greatness now. Those Germans sure know what they're doing.

That car just does everything great. I was especially impressed by how comfortable it is inside. I'm a bigger guy so I thought I might be cramped but it was perfect.

Aske

Stopped and stared at two of them in the wild in Orange County last week.

I took a 2014 Mazda3 GT for a test drive last week. Not a car guy, so these thoughts will be more tech than drive focused; but I loved it. Ride was surprisingly comfortable despite the larger rims and low profile tires, auto transmission shifts were very smooth, interior was gorgeous (especially for an economy compact) and the tech was intuitive. Handling was predictably superb.

Thought I'd hate the pop-up HUD, but I found using it very natural. It looks a bit cheesy, but I appreciated the functionality. I also feared the touchscreen would be distracting due to its placement, but I forgot it was there when I wasn't using it. However, since it doesn't fold away, it pretty much screams "smash that window and rip me off the dash! I might be an iPad!" Shouldn't be sufficient reason to put anyone off buying the car, but I hope it can be hidden on next year's model.

Kind of amazing to see how far cars like this have evolved over the last few years.

AlphaSnake

Post pictures first.

Can you feel the scratches/grooves with your nail? If so, nothing you can do to fix it besides repainting. You can do some touch up, but if it runs across your entire car...that's just pointless.

cajunator

Banned
Apparently my aunt and uncle just bought/inherited this '39 Hudson. Can't wait to take a spin in it.

sorry for the quality, it's from the attachments in the email they sent

WOOOOOw.
I would be more excited to ride in this than most cars. But Ive been in a 480 HP Porsche so that kinda tops everything.

Post pictures first.

Can you feel the scratches/grooves with your nail? If so, nothing you can do to fix it besides repainting. You can do some touch up, but if it runs across your entire car...that's just pointless.

hmmm could be random debris actually. Had to drive on some shitty roads the past few weeks. doesn't seem too bad. Not deep.

BYPTwq-CAAEXzYt.jpg:large

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom