• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 can't play MP3, Music Unlimited needed for background music [Up:Yoshida responds]

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
twitteryospthanksforthioqh.jpg

Good enough. He says "at launch" and I believe him when he says he'll do something.

I know people don't like this but it's still true. It interesting that Sony/Yoshida has the benefit of the doubt and MS doesn't. If Pennello said that there would be even more rage.

kmg90

FFar.png

That's the closest we'll get for now. Not 100% clear if he means locally stored MP3s though.

Its a loaded question with a lot of loop holes... Xbox Music is a store and service "own music" could me music purchased through the store/service...

Carl

I'm not sure exactly what answer some people wanted :s Did you want him to say "sorry i'll stop here all day and night to make sure that the system supports MP3s and DNLA at launch"?

Viruz

Yoshida's answer is a total non-answer.

They know exactly what they're doing, they put in the effort to get their shitty music service to work but no DLNA and mp3.
From the response, yes of course they knew. We'll see, I'm sure they'll adapt as it's not a technical marvel to support both. 1.51

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
And the PS3 did not have DLNA support until May, some six months post launch.

Lol and the launch of the ps3 was an unmitigated disaster. Not to mention that was 7 years ago. The technology still wasn't as well known. This is basic stuff now, we shouldn't be going backwards.

I'm missing the good news part.

"We'll consider it in the future" isn't nearly the same as "we'll support it, just not at launch". Its kindof the opposite.

I assume they'll patch it in soon after release. Sony have been very quick to respond to any negative news and his response, while not definitive, does suggest they've taken it into consideration and will likely be patching it in when possible...

Saying that, I do wonder why they thought locking custom soundtracks/background music to a subscription was a good idea and why they didn't see the anger that would result from making such a decision...

I'm not sure exactly what answer some people wanted :s Did you want him to say "sorry i'll stop here all day and night to make sure that the system supports MP3s and DNLA at launch"?
How about "that support is coming in a firmware update post launch"?

Parablank

What else is he supposed to say?

"I just got off the phone with the dev team and they will start adding in MP3 and DLNA support. Thanks for the perspective check."

I guess him acknowledging it is a decent enough reply. If MP3 and DLNA support isn't in by 2014 I'd consider his reply canned.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Its a loaded question with a lot of loop holes... Xbox Music is a store and service "own music" could me music purchased through the store/service...

basically, yes. The way the question was asked and his minimal response doesn't imply anything different than what Sony is doing.

Not that I'm saying MS is lying.. just that the question and response is REALLY ambiguous.

He was supposed to say that the FAQ was only speaking of launch and that of course the PS4 will support mp3 playback and music/media streaming.

Am I on crazy pills? That tweet didn't change a thing.

What am I missing?

yeah, this is now more perturbing than before. I mean, still going to buy the box...but I won't be using this box nearly as much as I have used the ps3.

Carl

He's supposed to give a direct answer and tell me that it will be patched in the future, potentially he should tell me the precise date of the future patch. Right...oh wait no.

So how many people canceled their preorders over this?

About 2 people maybe?

And it's pretty obvious they had no plans to put MP3 support in, so he's not going to promise it off the bat with no knowledge of what the developer team is doing

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
From the response, yes of course they knew. We'll see, I'm sure they'll adapt as it's not a technical marvel to support both.

It's the furthest thing from it... they would've already done it if they wanted to, but it gives them a shot to sell more stuff so they're doing it the bullshit way, same way they do it with their memory sticks on vita, all those hidden fees.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
He was supposed to say that the FAQ was only speaking of launch and that of course the PS4 will support mp3 playback and music/media streaming.
Am I on crazy pills? That tweet didn't change a thing.
What am I missing?
Acknowledgement is the most we demand. And it's known that Yoshida-san keeps his finger on the pulse through Twitter and other means. It's a problem, and now we know they know it's a problem
Yeah. That's a terrible question. And a perfect answer to it. Whatever. We'll wait for launch *sigh*

its amazing that in 2013 you still cant hook up a home console and have it play music and all formats of video, with external harddrive support.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
FFar.png

That's the closest we'll get for now. Not 100% clear if he means locally stored MP3s though.
Someone should ask him if they've patched in background music support for launch. Back in Sept they said only snap mode would work at launch.

ctr2wFH.jpg

While the Xbox One's dashboard isn't finalized yet, he added, the Xbox Music app will be part of one of the main areas.

Initially the paid-only service will have limited use. Music won't, for instance, be able to play in the background while a person is playing a game. Instead, if someone wants to listen to songs from Xbox Music they will have to run it in snap mode, which takes up some of the side of the screen, and manually turn down a game's audio in the game's options.

The app will also not include any SmartGlass support for controlling music at launch, Johnson said.

"The focus for launch will be getting the player out," he said, "but then SmartGlass will come along."

Johnson said that the company has a lot of ideas about how they can expand the service on the Xbox One and that work they're already working on them internally.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/9/470...s-to-ios-android-today-and-xbox-one-at-launch

But it's obviously not planned, so why would he say it?
Well if it wasn't obvious before it is extra obvious now.

So its a bullshit restriction to push an additional subscription service, and has nothing to do with launch priorities and timetables. Exactly how it appeared. The tweet changes nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom