• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/26 - 12/2 2007

Lobster said:
You forget that Soul Calibur Legends has Loyd. That should be an instant 10k sales lol.

Chobo is part of the Mystery Dungeon series isn't it? That series is popular in Japan. I think that will do over 100k first week.
Well, the MD brand has a few franchises using it, like Chocobo, DQ or Pokemon. Didn't know where could we get numbers for the Chocobo titles so I just checked JP wikipedia...they are probably shipped numbers.

PSX Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon - 1,170,000 (launched 23th December 1997)
PSX Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon 2 - 520,000 (launched 23th December 1998)

The Wii one isn't 3 though, its 'Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu'.

Lobster

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Well, the MD brand has a few franchises using it, like Chocobo, DQ or Pokemon. Didn't know where could we get numbers for the Chocobo titles so I just checked JP wikipedia...they are probably shipped numbers.

The Wii one isn't 3 though, its 'Chocobo no Fushigi na Dungeon: Toki Wasure No Meikyuu'.

Hmm..I'll still stand by my prediction of over 100k but add some more and say below 150k.

I'll predict 400k LTD..its really weird how badly numer 2 dropped from 1..

Lobster said:
Hmm..I'll still stand by my prediction of over 100k but add some more and say below 150k.

I'll predict 400k LTD..its really weird how badly numer 2 dropped from 1..
Looking a little I just found that the second game sold 427,842 units between 21th December 1998 and 3rd January 1999 (2-week-combined Famitsu, ranked #1). Looks like quite front-loaded, maybe it had bad worth of mouth or it just sells good on the holiday period, dunno.

I think NiGHTS will do more than 60k for its first week, but probably not a lot more than that. It's still a pretty high profile game coming out at the right time of the year for Japanese sales, and the first one was quite popular. NiGHTS is a hard read everywhere, but I think less so in Japan than in other territories, if only because it isn't the first instinct of Japanese to call NiGHTS a "gay clown" and run away screaming to a steakhouse lest they catch something.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think NiGHTS will do more than 60k for its first week, but probably not a lot more than that. It's still a pretty high profile game coming out at the right time of the year for Japanese sales, and the first one was quite popular. NiGHTS is a hard read everywhere, but I think less so in Japan than in other territories, if only because it isn't the first instinct of Japanese to call NiGHTS a "gay clown" and run away screaming to a steakhouse lest they catch something.
American's can't be that bad.

We watch Wrestling and Will and Grace. Two shows that register very high marks on my Homoeroticism meter. Or HomoEter for short.

Thunder Monkey said:

We watch Wrestling and Will and Grace. Two shows that register very high marks on my Homoeroticism meter. Or HomoEter for short.
No, certainly not all Americans are that way, possibly not even a majority, though you guys rank pretty badly on the "tolerance of homosexuality" scale in studies. I'm more just making a tongue-in-cheek comment based on the frequent trolls in NiGHTS: JoD threads thus far.

loosus

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
No, certainly not all Americans are that way, possibly not even a majority, though you guys rank pretty badly on the "tolerance of homosexuality" scale in studies. I'm more just making a tongue-in-cheek comment based on the frequent trolls in NiGHTS: JoD threads thus far.
So, really, what you're doing is trolling with a self-admittedly false statement in hope of stirring something and ultimately being banned for it? Nice road you're heading down, buddy.

Oh god, shut the hell up, loosus. Unless you want to deny the existence of NiGHTS trolls that discuss how "gay" he looks, or you want to deny America's overall position with regards to homosexuality.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh god, shut the hell up, loosus.
SegataVictory.gif

Never mess with the glowing chest.

loosus said:
So, really, what you're doing is trolling with a self-admittedly false statement in hope of stirring something and ultimately being banned for it? Nice road you're heading down, buddy.

Wait, who exactly is he trolling here? If it's the minority of people who think
'purple jester's cap' = homosexual, then as far as I'm concerned they deserve to be trolled.

WAIT!

Soul Calibre Legends has Lloyd?

In addition to possessing Lloyd, it also possesses copious amounts of mediocrity and trace amounts of 'suck', so I don't see what's working in its favour, overall.

It also lacks Cassandra.

Pureauthor said:
Wait, who exactly is he trolling here? If it's the minority of people who think
'purple jester's cap' = homosexual, then as far as I'm concerned they deserve to be trolled.
Never go to a gay club in Kansas...

Culex

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Oh god, shut the hell up, loosus. Unless you want to deny the existence of NiGHTS trolls that discuss how "gay" he looks, or you want to deny America's overall position with regards to homosexuality.

I'd agree with Nights comments, but you're bringing in personal prejudices about homosexuality in here now? Good lord.

Lobster

Banned
Pureauthor said:
In addition to possessing Lloyd, it also possesses copious amounts of mediocrity and trace amounts of 'suck', so I don't see what's working in its favour, overall.

It also lacks Cassandra.

It has Lloyd, thats whats working in its favour. It will atleast guarantee some sales.

Culex said:
I'd agree with Nights comments, but you're bringing in personal prejudices about homosexuality in here now? Good lord.
There were exactly two points of contention that could be made about my "tongue-in-cheek" comment. The first was my assertion that NiGHTS trolls were using that type of thing as a troll. The second was my assertion that Americans fare badly on "tolerance of homosexuality" scales (for example, Widmer, Treas, & Newcomb [1998] in the Journal of Sex Research). I stand by both statements.

I bought SC2 for the 3D fighter that it is. I personally almost never used, nor fought against, Link.

SCL is another matter. I don't have the money to spend on this game. Hell, there's lots of games that are getting left out as it is.

I'll rent it, though. Lloyd has some good memories attached to him.

Lack of Talim sucks, though.

Talim, Lloyd, and Seigfried. Mmm.

Segata Sanshiro said:
There were exactly two points of contention that could be made about my "tongue-in-cheek" comment. The first was my assertion that NiGHTS trolls were using that type of thing as a troll. The second was my assertion that Americans fare badly on "tolerance of homosexuality" scales (for example, Widmer, Treas, & Newcomb [1998] in the Journal of Sex Research). I stand by both statements.
As well you should. You're Segata... how often can you be wrong?

Everyone I know has no ill will towards my manlusting friends. Those that do I usually confuse with coy smiles and inner turmoil.

Thunder Monkey said:
As well you should. You're Segata... how often can you be wrong?

Everyone I know has no ill will towards my manlusting friends. Those that do I usually confuse with coy smiles and inner turmoil.
Well, my connection of the two to somehow predict NiGHTS sales was obviously poor logic, but it was something of a jape and I assumed everyone here was bright enough to pick up on that. Sadly it seems I'm going to have to include an annotated bibliography with my posts from now on.

Or I could just not click "View post" on loosus' posts. Yeah, I think I'll do that little thing.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Flower, Sun, and Rain: 5.9K first week and disappeared.
Michigan: 15.2K first week and disappeared.
Killer 7 GCN: 4.5K first week and disappeared; didn't reach the 15.2K necessary to make the yearly Top 500.
Killer 7 PS2: 13.7 first week, 28.6K last we saw it in the 2005 yearly Top 500.
Contact: 6.1K first week and disappeared; didn't reach the 17.2K necessary to make the yearly Top 500.

Samurai Champloo: Sidetracked and BLOOD+ One Night Kiss I can't find in the database. Wikipedia lists a Japanese date for BLOOD+ and I don't see any Namco Bandai games for that day. It doesn't list a Japanese date for Champloo, so there's a possibility it's hiding in there under a horribly Babelfished pseudonym. It's possible neither of them charted.

Silver Jiken: 7.9K first week and didn't chart again.
Shining Soul II: 13.9K first week and didn't chart again.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Segata Sanshiro said:
Or I could just not click "View post" on loosus' posts. Yeah, I think I'll do that little thing.

Technically you don't do that, they just appear. You just have to close your eyes while you scroll by. Or just put him on block, whichever works out.

Also, I saw that Segata video again and he is not, from the looks of it, exactly full of Christmas cheer. :(

Shining Soul 2 was pretty fun. I mean, if you liked that sort of thing.

Sovan: loosus has been in an exclusive club in my settings for a while. And I would have more Christmas cheer if those kids played Saturn diligently instead of goofing off decorating and such!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
BishopLamont said:
Segata got told. :lol

Segata being told by loosus on GAF is the equivalent of a flat-earther standing up at a plate tectonics conference and "telling" a world-renowned geologist that he's nuts.

Your post is the equivalent of a high school journalist writing in his campus rag the next day "Flat earth versus oblique earth; the debate rages on. Both sides have compelling arguments! Who will win, if you ask me it'll be a close one!" and submitting it to the pulitzer committee.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I asked this before, but never got an answer- besides the holiday rush starting, is there a particular reason We Love Golf, Chocobo, NiGHTS, and SC Legends are releasing the same day? Seems a bit dumb

schuelma said:
I asked this before, but never got an answer- besides the holiday rush starting, is there a particular reason We Love Golf, Chocobo, NiGHTS, and SC Legends are releasing the same day? Seems a bit dumb

Let's look at who're the ones releasing the games.

Capcom
Square-Enix
Sega
Namco

Seems we've got our answer right there.

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Didn't know where could we get numbers for the Chocobo titles so I just checked JP wikipedia...they are probably shipped numbers.

PS1 Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon 649K (1st week, LTD listed is correct)
PS1 Chocobo's Dungeon 2 302K (1st week, 593K by end of 1999)

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think NiGHTS will do more than 60k for its first week, but probably not a lot more than that. It's still a pretty high profile game coming out at the right time of the year for Japanese sales, and the first one was quite popular.

SAT NiGHTS 209K (1st week based on Points data, 392K by end of 1996)

schuelma said:
besides the holiday rush starting, is there a particular reason We Love Golf, Chocobo, NiGHTS, and SC Legends are releasing the same day?

You answered your own question. There is no other reason.

schuelma

donny2112 said:
You answered your own question. There is no other reason.

Ok, but why release them all the same day? Why not move something to 12/6, or 12/20. Is there some official start of the holiday buying season that happens after 12/13?

donny2112

It's the latest they can release it and still get both the Valentines-like Christmas Day and New Year's. You can also look at it as the week before Thanksgiving in the U.S. As we'll only get a top 30 for the week, the extra new release sales from 2ch will be very useful. :D

schuelma

donny2112 said:
It's the latest they can release it and still get both the Valentines-like Christmas Day and New Year's. You can also look at it as the week before Thanksgiving in the U.S. As we'll only get a top 30 for the week, the extra new release sales from 2ch will be very useful. :D

Gotcha

donny2112

Pureauthor said:
If the gauntlet fits...

How dumb of EA, Microsoft, Nintendo, Square-Enix, and SEGA to release Rock Band, Mass Effect, Mario Party DS, FFXII: Revenant Wings, and Ghost Squad the same week in the U.S. If they had just waited a week until after Thanksgiving, they would've had the entire week to themselves.
:p

The_Joint

donny2112 said:
How dumb of EA, Microsoft, Nintendo, Square-Enix, and SEGA to release Rock Band, Mass Effect, Mario Party DS, FFXII: Revenant Wings, and Ghost Squad the same week in the U.S. If they had just waited a week until after Thanksgiving, they would've had the entire week to themselves.

But that doesn't make any sense.

donny2112 said:

Multiplat
X360
DS
DS
Wii

as opposed to

Wii
Wii
Wii
Wii

Furthermore, 2 of those games are massively hyped affairs which would sell regardless, and one of those games was never going to put up sales numbers worth spit anyway. As for the two DS games, they largely sell to completely different audiences anyway, as opposed to the 4 Wii games, where there's a more significant audience overlap.

I understand what you're trying to tell me, but the comparison isn't the most valid one.

donny2112 said:
PS1 Chocobo no Fushigi Dungeon 649K (1st week, LTD listed is correct)
PS1 Chocobo's Dungeon 2 302K (1st week, 593K by end of 1999)
(Thanks!) Not so bad about front-loaded, both nearly managed to double its first week sales, but quite a steep drop (hell, the sequel didn't managed to sell as much as the first week of the first title). I wonder if it was FF7 momentum thathelped the first one :?

About the all-out 4 people Wii wars next week...well, its kinda weird because there aren't any other important 3rd parties releases that day, just those 4 games...on the same console. Week after that there are many important releases too, but split (FF4 DS, Naruto PS2, Jikkyou PS2/Wii, Time Crisis PS3, Haruhi PSP...).

cvxfreak said:
Strange... Contact made it to #390 on the MC Top 500 for 2006.

http://geimin.net/da/06/rank_mc.php

Another case where Famitsu stopped tracking a game, perhaps?
FlightOfHeaven said:
WAIT!

Soul Calibre Legends has Lloyd?
LloydBridges.jpg

schuelma said:
Given that the prime time for a game to take advantage of the holiday sales means there's a premium launch window of several weeks, and given that most games release on Thursday, we end up with a shitload of big-name games coming out the same day for a few weeks.

Here are the games that launched December 14, 2006 and charted in Famitsu. Chocobo Tales, Mega Man Star Force, another edition of Power Pro, Wild ARMs 5, Motorstorm, Winning Eleven PSP, Pokémon Battle Revolution.
schuelma said:
Ok, but why release them all the same day? Why not move something to 12/6, or 12/20. Is there some official start of the holiday buying season that happens after 12/13?
Well, I'm sure there's no shortage of games coming out then, either.
2006-12-07
2006-12-21
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
(Thanks!) Not so bad about front-loaded, both nearly managed to double its first week sales, but quite a steep drop (hell, the sequel didn't managed to sell as much as the first week of the first title). I wonder if it was FF7 momentum thathelped the first one :?
Probably. 1997 saw Square exploding the PS1 userbase and making it full of FF fans, then selling them FF Tactics and Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon. Though I don't have good hardware numbers for PS1 at that time, I don't think it would be inaccurate to say that FF VII was owned by about as much of the userbase as is the case with Wii Sports right now.

apujanata

FlightOfHeaven said:
I bought SC2 for the 3D fighter that it is. I personally almost never used, nor fought against, Link.

SCL is another matter. I don't have the money to spend on this game. Hell, there's lots of games that are getting left out as it is.

I'll rent it, though. Lloyd has some good memories attached to him.

Lack of Talim sucks, though.

Talim, Lloyd, and Seigfried. Mmm.

Taki, Lloyd, Siegfried, Sophititia, Ivy, and some other guys (but no Link :( ) is in the game. My arms are tired after playing this game for about 30 minutes. Good work out for my son. Who need Wii Fit when we have Soul Calibur Legends (I am just joking, in case you don't get it).

Thunder Monkey said:

The traditional video game demograpohics probably don't even watch Will and Grace although they probably do watch quite a bit of wrestling.

papelnabangka said:
The traditional video game demograpohics probably don't even watch Will and Grace although they probably do watch quite a bit of wrestling.

Perhaps Thunder was referring to the Kansas-specific fabulobadass gamer population? I do think I've seen that type around Tulsa before.

cvxfreak

Shin Sangoku Musou 5 bomba? Amazon JP's already cut the price of the PS3 versions (both regular and treasure box) by 40% to around 4500 Yen. Standalone 360 version has been cut to the same price as well.

Deku

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Shin Sangoku Musou 5 bomba? Amazon JP's already cut the price of the PS3 versions (both regular and treasure box) by 40% to around 4500 Yen. Standalone 360 version has been cut to the same price as well.

Is that a question or a fact? :) Or need you ask?

Saint10118 said:
Perhaps Thunder was referring to the Kansas-specific fabulobadass gamer population? I do think I've seen that type around Tulsa before.
Teddy Bear for the Saint.

Yes, strangely some aren't terribly veiled. Will and Grace and Wrestling. Two shows that scream Fabulous! into my ear.

AniHawk

Warning: long anecdotal American sales update since I'm bored and you probably won't hear much out of me because I'm working 6 days this week and on the 7th day, I have finals.

Xbox 360 Guitar Hero IIIs. Activision didn't make enough of them. Sure, we have extra nonbundled copies and some wired guitars, but no one wants those. We get about as many calls for this as we do for the Wii. Rock Band remains popular. We sell maybe around 3-5 of those a day.

Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4 have all been very consistently high sellers (we've probably sold at least 100 each (combining platforms for the latter two)). Need for Speed Pro Street and the new Tony Hawk have had a lackluster performance, and I'm actually pretty surprised that Halo 3 fell off the map like it did. I'm sure it'll post big numbers in the NPD, but I haven't seen any activity for that game since early October.

For the PS3, sales seem to have slowed since the spike in November. Uncharted, COD4, and Assassin's Creed (and Rock Band) remain its top sellers. The PS2 is going par for the course, though we don't really move a whole lot of systems.

The PSP is a popular choice, but nobody is buying it for software. Nobody wants to spend the extra $30 for Star Wars either. People either want the Daxter bundle or the core unit. Also, at least twice in the past week, I've had people ask if we carry R4 chips. Meh. The most popular games on this now are Castlevania/FFT/Disgaea and other hardcore games. I think the really casual base that had supported this in its earlier life and even a year ago have either stopped gaming or have moved on to the PS360.

For the 360 itself, it kinda has a repeat performance of the PS3's software sales except 360 software moves MUCH faster (also, replace Uncharted with Mass Effect). The systems are selling well -- even the Elites. The Halo 360s continue to be ignored.

Onto Nintendo, the DS is doing well, as expected. Nintendogs is picking up yet again. Phantom Hourglass has been a decent seller, as has Mario Party, but I'm seeing a lot of the casual shit selling (Ben 10, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Cooking Mama). Contra 4 has really only sold to employees (both former and current), and maybe a couple of normal customers. Regardless, we've sold out of three shipments of the game.

Last week, were getting a few more Wiis than we usually do. We had 12 when we usually get 6. There's nothing in the computer for next week yet, so the earliest is going to be Friday if we get it at all. If not, then Nintendo might be shipping the week before Christmas, and supplying stores for the final few days with a big rush of systems. At least, I hope. I also heard that "WHY CANT THEY JUST MAKE MORE. THEY HAVE TO BE LOSING MONEY ON THIS. BUT MAYBE THAT'S THEIR PLAN TO MAKE BUNDLES THOUGH." thing again somewhere and had to hit my head against the wall until the voices stopped.

For software, aside from SMG, Guitar Hero III (out of stock) is pretty popular and so is the Crossbow training/Zapper (which we also do not have). I don't see Zelda or Metroid move, really, although Zack and Wiki and Fire Emblem are slowly selling. Not as fast as, say, Timeshift, or Blacksite, but at least faster than K&L. Someone asked what was the best fighting game for the Wii and I had to scratch my head because he clearly bought the wrong system and when I told him Guilty Gear was $40, I was even more perplexed at his surprised reaction that it was so expensive because apparently he was in the wrong hobby.

Can't think of anything more.

AniHawk said:
Warning: long anecdotal American sales update since I'm bored and you probably won't hear much out of me because I'm working 6 days this week and on the 7th day, I have finals.

Xbox 360 Guitar Hero IIIs. Activision didn't make enough of them. Sure, we have extra nonbundled copies and some wired guitars, but no one wants those. We get about as many calls for this as we do for the Wii. Rock Band remains popular. We sell maybe around 3-5 of those a day.

Super Mario Galaxy, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4 have all been very consistently high sellers (we've probably sold at least 100 each (combining platforms for the latter two)). Need for Speed Pro Street and the new Tony Hawk have had a lackluster performance, and I'm actually pretty surprised that Halo 3 fell off the map like it did. I'm sure it'll post big numbers in the NPD, but I haven't seen any activity for that game since early October.

For the PS3, sales seem to have slowed since the spike in November. Uncharted, COD4, and Assassin's Creed (and Rock Band) remain its top sellers. The PS2 is going par for the course, though we don't really move a whole lot of systems.

The PSP is a popular choice, but nobody is buying it for software. Nobody wants to spend the extra $30 for Star Wars either. People either want the Daxter bundle or the core unit. Also, at least twice in the past week, I've had people ask if we carry R4 chips. Meh. The most popular games on this now are Castlevania/FFT/Disgaea and other hardcore games. I think the really casual base that had supported this in its earlier life and even a year ago have either stopped gaming or have moved on to the PS360.

For the 360 itself, it kinda has a repeat performance of the PS3's software sales except 360 software moves MUCH faster (also, replace Uncharted with Mass Effect). The systems are selling well -- even the Elites. The Halo 360s continue to be ignored.

Onto Nintendo, the DS is doing well, as expected. Nintendogs is picking up yet again. Phantom Hourglass has been a decent seller, as has Mario Party, but I'm seeing a lot of the casual shit selling (Ben 10, Hannah Montana, High School Musical, and Cooking Mama). Contra 4 has really only sold to employees (both former and current), and maybe a couple of normal customers. Regardless, we've sold out of three shipments of the game.

Last week, were getting a few more Wiis than we usually do. We had 12 when we usually get 6. There's nothing in the computer for next week yet, so the earliest is going to be Friday if we get it at all. If not, then Nintendo might be shipping the week before Christmas, and supplying stores for the final few days with a big rush of systems. At least, I hope. I also heard that "WHY CANT THEY JUST MAKE MORE. THEY HAVE TO BE LOSING MONEY ON THIS. BUT MAYBE THAT'S THEIR PLAN TO MAKE BUNDLES THOUGH." thing again somewhere and had to hit my head against the wall until the voices stopped.

For software, aside from SMG, Guitar Hero III (out of stock) is pretty popular and so is the Crossbow training/Zapper (which we also do not have). I don't see Zelda or Metroid move, really, although Zack and Wiki and Fire Emblem are slowly selling. Not as fast as, say, Timeshift, or Blacksite, but at least faster than K&L. Someone asked what was the best fighting game for the Wii and I had to scratch my head because he clearly bought the wrong system and when I told him Guilty Gear was $40, I was even more perplexed at his surprised reaction that it was so expensive because apparently he was in the wrong hobby.

Can't think of anything more.

Yeah PSP is going to be the big surprise this year. Heck even I asked for one this Christmas. And I'm a Nintendo fanboy too! Not suprising about all the THQ and Disney software selling well on the DS though. Its the Christmas crowd of parents choosing licenced products that their kids like on TV

Top Bottom