• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: "Wii U is toast"; "20M is what it can hope for"

People buy 1st party Nintendo titles because there's not much else to buy...

That's not really how it works. People don't buy the hardware and then say "Well what should I buy? I guess I have to buy first party games."

Software drives hardware, not the other way around. People are buying Nintendo hardware, specifically to play Nintendo's first party games.

15-20mil is my guess. They will probably kill it in 2017. New system in 2018. They can't afford going beyond 5 years if sales don't pick.

20m would put it on par with the Gamecube right? I would be perfectly happy with that if it has as many good exclusives as the Cube had, and far more satisfied than I was with the Wii. I could give a shit if they're not selling 100m of them to people who like crappy motion controlled mini game collections.

The problem with this approach is that you'll probably have a decent 2014 (in terms of 3rd party exclusives) but 2015 and beyond? It's going to be a wasteland. They didn't even need to replicate the Wii's success, but selling this poorly, with competition from 7/8 year old hardware, is just a giant red flag for publishers and developers, who are going to flock to the PS4 and X1.

There's supposed to be a Prince of Persia game in development as well iirc. I'm sure there was some sort of rumour about it.

-----

On whether first year performance is any indicator of long term performance.

Here's the ratio US sales between the LTD through 61 months/12 months.
clipboard0ts6m.jpg

To nearest half million:
Code:
PS2	4.5M	31M
XBX	3M	14.5M
GCN	2.5M	11.5M

WII	5M	37.5M
X360	3M	23.5M
PS3	2M	19M

360 and PS3's first years were probably inhibited a lot by price, leading to a bigger ratio. Conversely, for XBX and GCN I imagine the PS2's establishment as clear market leader and consequent domination through the gen stifled their sales in subsequent years.

I don't think it's a perfect determinant obviously, but people saying it doesn't mean anything are fooling themselves.

My crystal ball tells me,

2014 - Others system colors will be revealed and another price drop to $249.

2015 - Wii U slim for $199 and during the same year the much anticipated Zelda game.

2016 - New Nintendo console releases

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well lets even say the Wii U does hit 20m. They still will almost certainly not have the same software sales numbers as the Gamecube did. If third parties aren't making multi-platform games for the system thanks to the technical gap, and Nintendo has to spend a ton of extra time and money on HD development, that's a lot of money lost in just software sales and licensing fees comparative to the Gamecube.

Sipheren

Banned
20M would be incredibly generous given its current trajectory.

Lets hear what the man himself has to say about that.

Well, fair enough. I hope the U pics up then, it really a great system, just needs to be advertised (especially here in Aus, no one that I speak to know what it is).

You might get some people that are cheesed off with that date, but it would mean that the Wii U had a good four years. That's what we used to be prepared for. (Remember when people thought the PS2 would be 98 and the PS3 01? Ho, ho, ho!)

If Microsoft and Sony are really going for 10-year lifecycles, 2016 would allow Nintendo to deliver a console of comparable specs while not making a loss and would allow them to catch up and compete. If they launch with a bunch of their classic catalogue, they could easily end up making a big splash. They then have 7 years to prepare a successor.

Well lets even say the Wii U does hit 20m. They still will almost certainly not have the same software sales numbers as the Gamecube did. If third parties aren't making multi-platform games for the system thanks to the technical gap, and Nintendo has to spend a ton of extra time and money on HD development, that's a lot of money lost in just software sales and licensing fees comparative to the Gamecube.
Yep.

So either Nintendo will consider this just endemic of WiiU's position or do as they did during the GCN era leading to Wii, contract software development costs on all titles but their largest.

You might get some people that are cheesed off with that date, but it would mean that the Wii U had a good four years. That's what we used to be prepared for. (Remember when people thought the PS2 would be 98 and the PS3 01? Ho, ho, ho!)

If Microsoft and Sony are really going for 10-year lifecycles, 2016 would allow Nintendo to deliver a console of comparable specs while not making a loss and would allow them to catch up and compete. If they launch with a bunch of their classic catalogue, they could easily end up making a big splash. They then have 7 years to prepare a successor.

Agreed. They should do what MS did with the original Xbox, drop it quickly and come back swinging.

AzaK

Totally agree.
No chance in hell I would ever buy a Bone. And I'm currently not interested at all in PS4. The upcoming releases look somewhat like the current HD-generation but in 1080p. All sorts of dumbed down "casualized" games (and best case: with an tacked on crappy high difficulty setting that's completely broken) and I'm sick of those. I won't buy a console to play those games, no thank you very much.

On the other hand - I have already bought 2 games for Wii U, despite not owning the console.

There are 3 games on that list, that interest me. And 2 of them are released on PS3. Even if they get a re-release on PS4, why should I care? The other one won't get a western release, so it's irrelevant.

Super Mario 3D World however, hell that looks like actual fun. And it even got local multiplayer in case I want to enjoy that. Another feature that's pretty rare on the current HD consoles and will probably get even more rare on PS4/Bone.
Thing is, the other consoles, esp PS4 are looking to do a bigger indie push. In that sense it could be argued that they will have more fun and varied games than Wii U

LDAF

2015 - Wii U slim for $199 and during the same year the much anticipated Zelda game.

I think that's very realistic. I'm not sure about it dropping quite THAT low in price in 2015, but I agree with everything else here.

Agreed. They should do what MS did with the original Xbox, drop it quickly and come back swinging.

And as someone who owns only a Wii U (and loves it to pieces), I'd rather Nintendo pulled the plug and recovered rather than keeping the system on life support with a few releases a year. By 2016 I will not feel bad about the value I got out of my Wii U. I would also be Nintendo's customer to hold on to.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Awesome now the WiiU will start selling, Pachter curse time!

I remember that before launch, he said it would be completely sold out during the forst 6 months, and we all said it would sell like shit because of Pachter.

And as someone who owns only a Wii U (and loves it to pieces), I'd rather Nintendo pulled the plug and recovered rather than keeping the system on life support with a few releases a year. By 2016 I will not feel bad about the value I got out of my Wii U. I would also be Nintendo's customer to hold on to.

When you say you only own a Wii U... do you mean only a Wii U, or do you supplement it with other things like a 3DS or something?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I feel like Wii U is like the Virtual Boy, and Wii Mini is like Gameboy Pocket. I wanna see the bottom charge on the original Wii and then a leap forward to Wii Color, right over Wii U's head.

hongcha

They need to slim down the Gamepad ASAP. It's a clunky behemoth. We're talking Game Gear size here. It's just not appealing to most people, particularly in Japan. I think if they introduce a model next year with the same console but an updated/modified/smaller/refined Gamepad with much better battery life, and splash it out in some attractive colours, all for under 25,000 yen, they'd be on the right path. They could also sell the new gamepads for under 10,000 yen so current Wii U owners can upgrade, should they choose.

Oh, I have a 2DS as well. But the only games I have on that are Pokémon Y, Animal Crossing, and Phoenix Wright 5.

In that case you should be okay! I think it would be incredibly frustrating and disheartening to only have a Wii U, unless you only play games infrequently.

In that case you should be okay! I think it would be incredibly frustrating and disheartening to only have a Wii U, unless you only play games infrequently.

Hmmm, not infrequently, but I'm certainly not as hardcore in time spent as a lot of GAF. I usually only get to play an hour a night and maybe a couple of hours on the weekend. If the weather's vile then I'll probably look at having a good long session, but something like Wind Waker can last me months.

I have Ghosts, Arkham Origins, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros. U, Injustice, Resident Evil: Revelations, Deus Ex, Wind Waker, and I'm getting 3D World, Assasin's Creed IV, and Lego City. With Mario Kart, Smash Bros, and Donkey Kong coming, I'm easily covered until next holiday season. In fact, I probably won't have finished everything by then, let alone multiple play-throughs. :)

spock

Personally I think all next gen consoles are going to surprise many gaffers on how much lower there sales are this gen. While the x1 and ps4 have some momentum right now, I honestly dont think its going to last. Not say there going to end up like the wiiu, but I dont think they are going to be so hot or doing huge numbers after jan.

Darryl

Banned
Personally I think all next gen consoles are going to surprise many gaffers on how much lower there sales are this gen. While the x1 and ps4 have some momentum right now, I honestly dont think its going to last. Not say there going to end up like the wiiu, but I dont think they are going to be so hot or doing huge numbers after jan.

It's kinda crazy how hard PS3 and 360 have clung on. They've made it next to impossible to look at history and see into the future. At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if the market was prime for disruption next year from someone on the outside. No wonder Valve and Apple/Google/Amazon have looked to be gearing up. I wouldn't gamble on anything to succeed right now.

Penryn

Banned
Nintendo has one other option.

Drop the GamePad.

I argue that has not been a single game that has proven the gamepad "needs to exist". It creates a problem similar to Kinect, only a few games truly make use of it and it increases the cost of the entire system!

• Most Wii U games already support either Pro controllers or the Wii-Motes. So this transition would be mostly painless for the existing library.
  • This would allow them to drop the price to 199 tomorrow. A much more appealing price to second system buying gamers and families on a budget.
  • This also allows them to continue directly marketing to Wii owners, since the Wii U is backwards compatible with their Wii games, it truly is "an upgrade" and not a new system.

Maybe Nintendo has something coming in the pipe that really shows what it can do and we will all be blown away. If not, its an expensive peripheral that isn't adding the same in value.

Log4Girlz

So basically he's parroting the "conventional wisdom". I personally think it's off the mark in this case. There seems to be this fervent belief you can figure out a system's long term potential by extrapolating the first year, but it's hard to think of past instances in which this would be a useful and accurate metric. I could expound upon the reasons for the Wii U's at best tepid sales so far, but suffice to say I don't think they paint the full picture. Even if it only ends up being ancillary console for people who already have a PS4/Xbox One I still suspect Wii U will cruise past Gamecube sales in spite of a sluggish first year, and ultimate I think it has a chance to get within striking distance of N64 numbers.

I haven't been shy about repeating this either, even as more and more people on GAF seem to be jumping aboard the d00med! train. Cue your bookmarks so you can laugh at me later I guess.

Games cost a lot more to produce now than in the GC and N64 days. So even matching those sales will be a bitter pill to swallow.

I was thinking 60,000,000 - 70,000,000, but I'm wrong even more often than Pachter.
Hey I thought NSMBU was going to bring WiiU to an easy 20 million before PS4/One even launched.

Adaptability is important. Once those really dreadfully low Jan numbers came in I reevaluated my position very quick.

unbias

As mainly a pc gamer who always eventually owns all the systems, the Wii U looks the most appealing so far, specially as a compliment to the PC. Sure this could very well change in a year, but as of right now, the Wii U is going to be what I pick up before the other next gens, once Mario 3D world releases.

Patcher may be right, but as a consumer, as long as I get the games I want/like I could give a crap how bad it does. I enjoyed the Dreamcast fine enough even though it bombed.

balohna

I think something important to remember with this industry is that it's still so young that there really is no reliable precedent to refer back to. Sales go up and down due to trends, etc. As Iwata has said before "One game can change everything" and he's right.

I'm not saying the Wii U will recover in any significant way, but it's possible. Nintendo really shouldn't be banking on "possible", but they have enough money to ride this out and see where it goes. Maybe next gen they'll just have a portable that plugs into your TV if you want.

I don't think some of you people realise just how steep a decline would need to be for that ('fail harder than the GameCube' BS) to happen. It's easy to cite a few numbers without context (which NeoGAF often does), but the reason why I've stated many times that this is extremely misleading is that these Doomsaying Know-Nothings don't even scratch the damned surface and bring the real substance to that comment. Perhaps because when you do some proper research, cries of failure are actually rather easy to dispel, and well, that doesn't get your website cheap hits... **Rolls Eyes**. I have also stated many times the importance of letting them play all of their cards, then waiting until the Wii U ceases production - Many of Nintendo's IPs have seen growth since the GameCube era, and we have seen this success continuing on the 3DS. It is also worth noting that their games don't sell on Day One or the first week alone, but over long periods - this has been called the 'Evergreen' approach. On those grounds, I have often encouraged people to wait until Nintendo's 9th Generation console has launched, the Wii U has played all of its cards, and ceased production before calling it 'toast', 'dead', a 'failure', and whatever derogatory terms have been inserted here - That is the only fair and proper way to do such a discussion the justice it deserves.

A few points need to be noted with the GameCube: First, it was the third console to launch in the 6th Generation. It came on the back of the Nintendo 64, which had a reputation for longer delays and droughts than anything ever imagined on the Wii U. While it hosted some of the most important titles in gaming history, and it was the most powerful system, the Nintendo 64 did hurt their reputation in that regard. It should also be noted that for the GameCube, some of Nintendo's popular IPs had taken directions alien to many of those who had experienced them on previous consoles, and/or they weren't received with the same love as other entries before and after that. Super Mario Sunshine underwhelmed. LOZ had The Wind Waker, which was one of the games I wanted to play, but the same Internet which romanticises about the GameCube today was a different place in 2001. Donkey Kong wasn't received as well on the GameCube, then there was Starfox Adventures, which wasn't loved as much as its predecessors. If your first party games underwhelm, and you're receiving little in the way of support from other parties, then you have a recipe for failure. I have said for some time that I felt the GameCube was easily, and by a distance, Nintendo's worst ever console - that is just my opinion, and as much as LOZ is my all-time favourite series, Wind Waker was not enough for me to justify a GameCube purchase, while Twilight Princess always appealed to me more on the Wii, because of the Wiimote. On the Wii U, the circumstances are very different. The available first party games are delivering, while more popular ones aren't there yet, and other parties will have games there. It also has the lowest entry price of the three main 8th Generation home consoles; In fact, you would be able to buy a Wii U AND a 2DS with games for less than the price of an X4 console without a game, which some people might appreciate.

I will also point out that the GameCube had more exclusives out by the end of its first full year than the Wii U, because NOBODY on here, and not one 'analyst' or games site ever notes this - Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, LOZ: Wind Waker (in Japan), Starfox Adventures, Mario Party 4, Rogue Squadron 2, NBA Courtside 2002 are some of the ones that I recall. I could list titles from 2003, if you lived in Europe or Australia, with F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, Mario Party 5, Mario Kart: Double Dash! among the notable first party titles from that year, and Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg (console exclusive), Rogue Squadron 3, PN03, and before it was ported elsewhere, Viewtiful Joe among the notable ones from other parties. They existed next to port jobs and better support from publishers such as Electronic Arts, but you can see very clearly that it had played a lot more of its cards of the time within its first full year - The Wii U can not say that at this stage, and I would put it to you that without the most popular ones by the end of 2003, the GameCube would've fared much worse than the Wii U at a similar point in its lifecycle. You need to understand where Nintendo had been when they were at that point, and just how dominant the PS2 was in that era. One can not say "but these IPs were there" on its own, because it doesn't take into account what preceded it, other events happening, or the reception of those IPs. It does not take into account the re-assessment, how the Wii was realised, and the growth that Nintendo IPs have seen since then. It's also rather moronic to say "just because it happened before..." in one breath, then cite GameCube levels (i.e., the same 'history' which you're disregarding when successes are mentioned) in the next breath.

Now, to address some of those more popular IPs: It is ignorant of the fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee (the biggest-selling game on that platform with about 7 million copies, by the way) was released within its launch window, just days after the console's release. It also ignores that the Smash Bros. Series had seen growth on the Wii (Brawl had sold 10.79 million copies as of March 2012). Wii U Smash Bros. isn't even out yet.

Mario Kart 8 could be one to watch - Mario Kart: Double Dash! was the second biggest-selling GameCube game, on 7 million copies. Mario Kart Wii has sold over 7 million copies since April 2011 (that means, more than the biggest-selling GameCube game in the GameCube's entire lifecycle); In April 2011, it had been out for three years, and had achieved sales of 27 million copies (that is, greater than the lifetime sales of the GameCube itself). That game has sold over 34 million copies, eclipsing the lifetime sales of not only the GameCube, but even the Nintendo 64. To prove that this was no slouch/one-off, we can see that the DS entry had sales of 23.34 million in March 2013 (again, higher than the lifetime sales of the GameCube itself) - Mario Kart DS has been out for eight years. Furthermore, the 3DS entry (Mario Kart 7) has shown no signs of that IP being a one-off at this point with sales of 8.08 million in March 2013 (it is the second biggest-selling 3DS game to date, and sold more than the GameCube entry) - Imagine what is possible for this game now that the 2DS is here, when the 3DS hits that £99 entry point, and when one revisits these figures in 2019, when it, too, will have been out for eight years. This series has shown that it has plenty of length in its legs and every bit as much life in its tail. Not only that, late adopters of Nintendo consoles often want to play these games. People are still buying it to this day. The other observation one can make here, is that a handheld version (DS) existing wasn't a hindrance to a home console (Wii) version, despite the DS having a larger user base (150m+ to the Wii's 100m+). I hope that this last point can at least go some way to addressing the question raised in this thread about whether people would buy Smash Bros, on the 3DS and not bother with the Wii U one - you can see there that different versions can co-exist and be successful for different reasons ;).

I think you will agree that what Mario Kart Wii has accomplished is nothing short of outstanding, and this was all the more remarkable, given that it's on one single platform - In that respect, it is bigger than COD and GTA. Think about all of the above paragraph for a moment. Now, consider that Mario Kart typically sells more on consoles than handheld because of the local multi-player experience. Consider that Version 8 will have online modes (which you don't pay a subscription fee for, by the way), and Mario Kart TV - they are certainly delivering on the incentives to buy there, and we know that the series is one of the most popular in all gaming. Hell, it's the succesor to the most successful Mario Kart to date!! One of the biggest games of all time, and you're writing the Wii U off BEFORE it's even had a chance to play an Ace in its hand!? Now, consider what is possible once the Wii U hits the profitable $249 point of entry, and further still, the $199 point. I don't claim to be an expert, but that ('toast' cries), to my mind, is industry and economic illiteracy of the highest order. You, the people who froth from the pews in the Church Of Nintenhate, the people who hang on every word spewing from Pachter's Pulpit, could do better than to lend him a shred of credence.

Super Mario 64 DS has sold 10.83 million copies as of March 2013. Bear in mind that this was a re-release of a Nintendo 64 game. That number is higher than Super Mario Sunshine, which was the third highest-selling GameCube game with about 6 million copies. Super Mario Galaxy has sold 11.72 million copies as of March 2013. 6 million to 11.72 million is an outstanding level of growth in anybody's book, and even its sequel has outsold the GameCube's Sunshine, with over 7 million copies - Now that it is in the Selects range, it can still continue to provide some bread and butter for them. On the 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land has sold 8.29 million copies as of March 2013 - this was reported to be outpacing Super Mario Galaxy in this Siliconera article, and it is the biggest-selling title on the 3DS. Once again, this figure is higher than the GameCube's Sunshine, it is set to eclipse the 10.83 million figure of SM64DS within eight years of release, and in the 8th Generation, we can see over 40% growth over the GameCube title. The game that some of NeoGAF's trolls call a '3DS up-port' isn't even out yet.

Some people cried "But, But, NSMB couldn't do it!!", and I addressed the ignorance of that comment HERE a while back.

Then there is Donkey Kong. Jungle Beat was a million-seller on the GameCube. DKC Returns sold about 6 million copies (so, that means as well as the GameCube's Super Mario Sunshine), and even more, if you also count the 3DS version, which achieved million-seller status. It's another IP which saw growth since the GameCube era, and where the Wii U entry, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, isn't out yet.

I could add the many other favourite/popular IPs which aren't out yet, which people will bite on, such as Wii U LOZ, Bayonetta 2, Monolith's X and SMT x Fire Emblem (won't mention all, as that'll be quite the list!!). NONE of which are out yet. If the popular first-party games or games that you want to play aren't there, then at this time, it is surely common sense to wait until they are before you bite. Add to that the fact that this is Nintendo's highest priced console to date, and you can see more reasons why some people may hold on - It is important to know the difference between complete disinterest, waiting for what you want, and waiting until you feel the time is right, and many on here are failing to make those differentiations. One should also point out that those who have bitten are, for the most part, enjoying it, and there haven't been any Ring Of Death scandals or gross reports of systems breaking down via no fault of the users. So, the product itself isn't a bad one. It just needs more of the games that people want, and they will come. It needs a wider library, and that will come. Other parties will return, too. It is a nonsense to say that it will get absolutely nothing more in the way of games, when the reality is that many on the Indie Circuit are chomping at the bits to get theirs released on it, and when the Wii hosted many treasures, if you cared to look. It is a nonsense to say that other parties won't ever return, or to presume that the console is going to be forever stuck in a rut, when it has many unexplored avenues, and the games that people want are still to arrive.

Let me also remind you all that the 3DS was written off in the same way - While a price cut can and helped to some degree, it was more the quick 1-2 release of Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 which turned its fortunes around, and it has going from strength to strength with Pokemon X & Y, Monster Hunter 4, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and NSMB2, while IPs such as Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus have achieved million-selling status and achieved growth in the process. Yet it appears that those who wrote the 3DS off in 2011 before it had a chance to put more titles out haven't learned a damned thing from the recent past.

Let us not forget those who told us to wait and see with the Vita, or that the PS3 was given FOUR YEARS - Now you even have people congratulating Sony on the 'success' of the PS3, when it is deeply apparent that they were the undisputed losers of the 7th Generation. It's actually rather tragic that in a number of recent threads, some members had a hard time accepting that Nintendo won the 7th Generation, and tried to change the goalposts, as if all this talk of sales, the idea that some MIGHT see THEIR console(s) of choice as a failure would make people enjoy it/them less. It is equally tragic that some members felt a need to concern troll and seek NeoGAF's approval because they bought a Wii U - Please know that you're not 'crazy' to have bitten, and the LAST thing you need is this site's approval. I thought that people bought games consoles to play them, not pose with and be seen - Might as well stop listening to your favourite bands because they didn't reach #1 in the charts... URGH.

I can tell you about social issues and economic circumstances, which are more uncertain today than they were in 2006. I get that the PS3 was more expensive and did better at a similar point, but I would just as well put it out there that youth unemployment wasn't at the low point that it's at now, and lower disposable income families in 2013, at least, in my neck of the woods, are deciding whether to put their central heating on or food on the table. I would argue that the PS3 wasn't just a games console and coming on the back of the PS2's success; it was also locked in a media battle, championing its Blu-Ray against the HD-DVDs. So, beyond games (which is the Wii U's primary purpose), there were other more tangible incentives to buy one. Simply put, there is far, FAR more to take into account than just surface numbers, there are hosts of unexplored options and avenues to explore, and until that has been done, not only are these cries extremely bizarre, premature and preposterous, one can not be so absolute in such declarations.

As for the idea that they will ditch this console for something more powerful, when they've just made a transition to the HD game development era, and want to keep their budgets under control, I'm sure there's a Yellow Brick Road somewhere in the wildest of your dreams. Please, take a leaf from the Scarecrow's book, follow that trail to Emerald City and ask the Wonderful Wizard for a brain. Christmas is just around the corner, and there's a chance that they'll be in demand, so... Be Quick!! ;) (It isn't in their interests to ditch it, and they won't want to risk the threat of more than quadrupling their game development costs - something we are seeing from first party studios AT LAUNCH for the PS4, according to this Examiner article).

Finally, it is important to stop looking at this discussion in terms of "what game will save it?". In today's climate, few will bite on a new games console for just one game. Super Mario 3D World will help, but it won't do it on its own. However, Place it next to NSMBU, NSLU, Sonic Lost World, the third exclusive Sonic game, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Wii U LOZ, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, X, SMT x Fire Emblem, Zombi U, the Yoshi/Epic Yarn game, and Smash Bros., plus other unannounced titles and popular IPs, THEN consider that some people may want to play cross-platform games in Off-TV Play Mode, and might think "Actually, there are quite a few games that I would like to play on this... I'll bite". Nintendo themselves said as much, and again, if you think about this, very few people will buy any games console just for one game, ESPECIALLY in this climate.

I doubt that many will consider these points, and I won't be surprised to find myself on the end of some flames, ridicule and harassment, all of which I have experienced whenever I've brought a more brighter light to these topics, but I do at least hope that some of you will at least stop with the 'failing harder than the GameCube' rhetoric, stop acting as if all the options are been exhausted, and put aside the delusional fanboyist fantasies of failure and death. It's extremely vile and rotten, and you should know that you're dragging this place beneath the GameFAQs and even the 4Chans of this world, to gaming's Tenth Circle. It's late, and I don't have much else to write, so I'll leave it all here. As You Were.

Damaniel

Banned
That's a pretty good estimate.

I don't have a definite thought on where it ends. Could be as low as 15 million units (if the past months 90k in America is only a minor fluctuation. And 30 million units if it can sustain double that unit tally next year and on.

20 million is a pretty good guess, but it could be 15 million if it stabilizes around 50k units during non-holiday months in America. If America starts buying 200k in non-holiday months though as high as 30 million.

I need to see exactly what Smash, and Kart do. If they can give it months around 200k units the system might not have a GCNian future.

Honestly, Smash and Kart aren't going to do much. They didn't save the Gamecube, nor did Metroid, Mario, Zelda, F-Zero or Starfox. Nintendo pumped out some of the greatest entries in their franchises on the Gamecube, and released a lot of them early on. None of them helped the Gamecube outsell its predecessor.

The Wii sold because of Wii Sports and Wii Fit. While some people bought them for 'normal' Nintendo franchises, way more copies of the normal franchise games were sold to people who bought the Wii to bowl, and wanted to grab something else for the kids to play.

If Nintendo's not going to have third party support, they need new ideas (along the lines of Wii Fit), not more of the same.

Pachinko

That giant swath of text makes a valid point that most of nintendos strongest selling IP's haven't see release on the wii U yet but I'm not so sure that will be enough this time around.

Truthfully, I think Nintendo is already putting into motion a plan B of sorts.

Plan A was staying the course and hoping for the best and well, I think they are more then willing to give it until march 31st to pan out.

Plan B though ? abandoning the core philosphy of the wii U and perhaps a soft relaunch and rebranding will be in order. Today , nintendo announced that miiverse will be added to the 3DS. Look at the 2DS and notice that it could quite easily be used as a substitute for a wii gamepad. Or something similar.

Now consider a wii U coming out with any fat that exists in its design being trimmed off. Picture a price point of 149.99 that is also profitable.

It's perhaps more likely then anyone thinks.

Log4Girlz

I don't think some of you people realise just how steep a decline would need to be for that ('fail harder than the GameCube' BS) to happen. It's easy to cite a few numbers without context (which NeoGAF often does), but the reason why I've stated many times that this is extremely misleading is that these Doomsaying Know-Nothings don't even scratch the damned surface and bring the real substance to that comment. Perhaps because when you do some proper research, cries of failure are actually rather easy to dispel, and well, that doesn't get your website cheap hits... **Rolls Eyes**. I have also stated many times the importance of letting them play all of their cards, then waiting until the Wii U ceases production - Many of Nintendo's IPs have seen growth since the GameCube era, and we have seen this success continuing on the 3DS. It is also worth noting that their games don't sell on Day One or the first week alone, but over long periods - this has been called the 'Evergreen' approach. On those grounds, I have often encouraged people to wait until Nintendo's 9th Generation console has launched, the Wii U has played all of its cards, and ceased production before calling it 'toast', 'dead', a 'failure', and whatever derogatory terms have been inserted here - That is the only fair and proper way to do such a discussion the justice it deserves.

A few points need to be noted with the GameCube: First, it was the third console to launch in the 6th Generation. It came on the back of the Nintendo 64, which had a reputation for longer delays and droughts than anything ever imagined on the Wii U. While it hosted some of the most important titles in gaming history, and it was the most powerful system, the Nintendo 64 did hurt their reputation in that regard. It should also be noted that for the GameCube, some of Nintendo's popular IPs had taken directions alien to many of those who had experienced them on previous consoles, and/or they weren't received with the same love as other entries before and after that. Super Mario Sunshine underwhelmed. LOZ had The Wind Waker, which was one of the games I wanted to play, but the same Internet which romanticises about the GameCube today was a different place in 2001. Donkey Kong wasn't received as well on the GameCube, then there was Starfox Adventures, which wasn't loved as much as its predecessors. If your first party games underwhelm, and you're receiving little in the way of support from other parties, then you have a recipe for failure. I have said for some time that I felt the GameCube was easily, and by a distance, Nintendo's worst ever console - that is just my opinion, and as much as I LOZ is my all-time favourite series, Wind Waker was not enough for me to justify a GameCube purchase, while Twilight Princess always appealed to me more on the Wii, because of the Wiimote. On the Wii U, the circumstances are very different. The available first party games are delivering, while more popular ones aren't there yet, and other parties will have games there. It also has the lowest entry price of the three main 8th Generation home consoles; In fact, you would be able to buy a Wii U AND a 2DS with games for less than the price of an X4 console without a game, which some people might appreciate.

I will also point out that the GameCube had more exclusives out by the end of its first full year than the Wii U, because NOBODY on here, and not one 'analyst' or games site ever notes this - Super Smash Bros. Melee, Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Mario Sunshine, LOZ: Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Eternal Darkness, LOZ: Wind Waker (in Japan), Starfox Adventures, Mario Party 4, Rogue Squadron 2, NBA Courtside 2002 are some of the ones that I recall. I could list titles from 2003, if you lived in Europe or Australia, with F-Zero GX, Kirby's Air Ride, Mario Party 5, Mario Kart: Double Dash! among the notable first party titles from that year, and Billy Hatcher & The Giant Egg (console exclusive), Rogue Squadron 3, PN03, and before it was ported elsewhere, Viewtiful Joe among the notable ones from other parties. They existed next to port jobs and better support from publishers such as Electronic Arts, but you can see very clearly that it had played a lot more of its cards of the time within its first full year - The Wii U can not say that at this stage, and I would put it to you that without the most popular ones by the end of 2003, the GameCube would've fared much worse than the Wii U at a similar point in its lifecycle. You need to understand where Nintendo had been when they were at that point, and just how dominant the PS2 was in that era. One can not say "but these IPs were there" on its own, because it doesn't take into account what preceded it, other events happening, or the reception of those IPs. It does not take into account the re-assessment, how the Wii was realised, and the growth that Nintendo IPs have seen since then. It's also rather moronic to say "just because it happened before..." in one breath, then cite GameCube levels (i.e., the same 'history' which you're disregarding when successes are mentioned) in the next breath.

Now, to address some of those more popular IPs: It is ignorant of the fact that Super Smash Bros. Melee (the biggest-selling game on that platform with about 7 million copies, by the way) was released within its launch window, just days after the console's release. It also ignores that the Smash Bros. Series had seen growth on the Wii (Brawl had sold 10.79 million copies as of March 2012). Wii U Smash Bros. isn't even out yet.

Mario Kart 8 could be one to watch - Mario Kart: Double Dash! was the second biggest-selling GameCube game, on 7 million copies. Mario Kart Wii has sold over 7 million copies since April 2011 (that means, more than the biggest-selling GameCube game in the GameCube's entire lifecycle); In April 2011, it had been out for three years, and had achieved sales of 27 million copies (that is, greater than the lifetime sales of the GameCube itself). That game has sold over 34 million copies, eclipsing the lifetime sales of not only the GameCube, but even the Nintendo 64. To prove that this was no slouch/one-off, we can see that the DS entry had sales of 23.34 million in March 2013 (again, higher than the lifetime sales of the GameCube itself) - Mario Kart DS has been out for eight years. Furthermore, the 3DS entry (Mario Kart 7) has shown no signs of that IP being a one-off at this point with sales of 8.08 million in March 2013 (it is the second biggest-selling 3DS game to date, and sold more than the GameCube entry) - Imagine what is possible for this game now that the 2DS is here, when the 3DS hits that £99 entry point, and when one revisits these figures in 2019, when it, too, will have been out for eight years. This series has shown that it has plenty of length in its legs and every bit as much life in its tail. Not only that, late adopters of Nintendo consoles often want to play these games. People are still buying it to this day. The other observation one can make here, is that a handheld version (DS) existing wasn't a hindrance to a home console (Wii) version, despite the DS having a larger user base (150m+ to the Wii's 100m+). I hope that this last point can at least go some way to addressing the question raised in this thread about whether people would buy Smash Bros, on the 3DS and not bother with the Wii U one - you can see there that different versions can co-exist and be successful for different reasons ;).

I think you will agree that what Mario Kart Wii has accomplished is nothing short of outstanding, and this was all the more remarkable, given that it's on one single platform - In that respect, it is bigger than COD and GTA. Think about all of the above paragraph for a moment. Now, consider that Mario Kart typically sells more on consoles than handheld because of the local multi-player experience. Consider that Version 8 will have online modes (which you don't pay a subscription fee for, by the way), and Mario Kart TV - they are certainly delivering on the incentives to buy there, and we know that the series is one of the most popular in all gaming. Hell, it's the succesor to the most successful Mario Kart to date!! One of the biggest games of all time, and you're writing the Wii U off BEFORE it's even had a chance to play an Ace in its hand!? Now, consider what is possible once the Wii U hits the profitable $249 point of entry, and further still, the $199 point. I don't claim to be an expert, but that, to my mind, is industry and economic illiteracy of the highest order. You, the people who froth from the pews in the Church Of Nintenhate, the people who hang on every word spewing from Pachter's Pulpit, could do better than to lend him a shred of credence.

Super Mario 64 DS has sold 10.83 million copies as of March 2013. Bear in mind that this was a re-release of a Nintendo 64 game. That number is higher than Super Mario Sunshine, which was the third highest-selling GameCube game with about 6 million copies. Super Mario Galaxy has sold 11.72 million copies as of March 2013. 6 million to 11.72 million is an outstanding level of growth in anybody's book, and even its sequel has outsold the GameCube's Sunshine, with over 7 million copies - Now that it is in the Selects range, it can still continue to provide some bread and butter for them. On the 3DS, Super Mario 3D Land has sold 8.29 million copies as of March 2013 - this was reported to be outpacing Super Mario Galaxy in this Siliconera article, and it is the biggest-selling title on the 3DS. Once again, this figure is higher than the GameCube's Sunshine, it is set to eclipse the 10.83 million figure of SM64DS within eight years of release, and in the 8th Generation, we can see over 40% growth over the GameCube title. The game that some of NeoGAF's trolls call a '3DS up-port' isn't even out yet.

Some people cried "But, But, NSMB couldn't do it!!", and I addressed the ignorance of that comment HERE a while back.

Then there is Donkey Kong. Jungle Beat was a million-seller on the GameCube. DKC Returns sold about 6 million copies (so, that means as well as the GameCube's Super Mario Sunshine), and even more, if you also count the 3DS version, which achieved million-seller status. It's another IP which saw growth since the GameCube era, and where the Wii U entry, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, isn't out yet.

I could add the many other favourite/popular IPs which aren't out yet, which people will bite on, such as Wii U LOZ, Bayonetta 2, Monolith's X and SMT x Fire Emblem (won't mention all, as that'll be quite the list!!). NONE of which are out yet. If the popular first-party games or games that you want to play aren't there, then at this time, it is surely common sense to wait until they are before you bite. Add to that the fact that this is Nintendo's highest priced console to date, and you can see more reasons why some people may hold on - It is important to know the difference between complete disinterest, waiting for what you want, and waiting until you feel the time is right, and many on here are failing to make those differentiations. One should also point out that those who have bitten are, for the most part, enjoying it, and there haven't been any Ring Of Death scandals or gross reports of systems breaking down via no fault of the users. So, the product itself isn't a bad one. It just needs more of the games that people want, and they will come. It needs a wider library, and that will come. Other parties will return, too. It is a nonsense to say that it will get absolutely nothing more in the way of games, when the reality is that many on the Indie Circuit are chomping at the bits to get theirs released on it, and when the Wii hosted many treasures, if you cared to look. It is a nonsense to say that other parties won't ever return, or to presume that the console is going to be forever stuck in a rut, when it has many unexplored avenues, and the games that people want are still to arrive.

Let me also remind you all that the 3DS was written off in the same way - While a price cut can and helped to some degree, it was more the quick 1-2 release of Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 which turned its fortunes around, and it has going from strength to strength with Pokemon X & Y, Monster Hunter 4, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and NSMB2, while IPs such as Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus have achieved million-selling status and achieved growth in the process. Yet it appears that those who wrote the 3DS off in 2011 before it had a chance to put more titles out haven't learned a damned thing from the recent past.

Let us not forget those who told us to wait and see with the Vita, or that the PS3 was given FOUR YEARS - Now you even have people congratulating Sony on the 'success' of the PS3, when it is deeply apparent that they were the undisputed losers of the 7th Generation. It's actually rather tragic that in a number of recent threads, some members had a hard time accepting that Nintendo won the 7th Generation, and tried to change the goalposts, as if all this talk of sales, the idea that some MIGHT see THEIR console(s) of choice as a failure would make people enjoy it/them less. It is equally tragic that some members felt a need to concern troll and seek NeoGAF's approval because they bought a Wii U - Please know that you're not 'crazy' to have bitten, and the LAST thing you need is this site's approval. I thought that people bought games consoles to play them, not pose with and be seen - Might as well stop listening to your favourite bands because they didn't reach #1 in the charts... URGH.

I can tell you about social issues and economic circumstances, which are more uncertain today than they were in 2006. I get that the PS3 was more expensive and did better at a similar point, but I would just as well put it out there that youth unemployment wasn't at the low point that it's at now, and lower disposable income families in 2013, at least, in my neck of the woods, are deciding whether to put their central heating on or food on the table. I would argue that the PS3 wasn't just a games console and coming on the back of the PS2's success; it was also locked in a media battle, championing its Blu-Ray against the HD-DVDs. So, beyond games (which is the Wii U's primary purpose), there were other more tangible incentives to buy one. Simply put, there is far, FAR more to take into account than just surface numbers, there are hosts of unexplored options and avenues to explore, and until that has been done, not only are these cries extremely bizarre, premature and preposterous, one can not be so absolute in such declarations.

As for the idea that they will ditch this console for something more powerful, when they've just made a transition to the HD game development era, and want to keep their budgets under control, I'm sure there's a Yellow Brick Road somewhere in the wildest of your dreams. Please, take a leaf from the Scarecrow's book, follow that trail to Emerald City and ask the Wonderful Wizard for a brain. Christmas is just around the corner, and there's a chance that they'll be in demand, so... Be Quick!! ;) (It isn't in their interests to ditch it, and they won't want to risk the threat of more than quadrupling their game development costs - something we are seeing from first party studios AT LAUNCH for the PS4, according to this Examiner article).

Finally, it is important to stop looking at this discussion in terms of "what game will save it?". In today's climate, few will bite on a new games console for just one game. Super Mario 3D World will help, but it won't do it on its own. However, Place it next to NSMBU, NSLU, Sonic Lost World, the third exclusive Sonic game, Pikmin 3, Nintendo Land, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101, Wii U LOZ, Wii Sports Club, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, X, SMT x Fire Emblem, Zombi U, the Yoshi/Epic Yarn game, and Smash Bros., plus other unannounced titles and popular IPs, THEN consider that some people may want to play cross-platform games in Off-TV Play Mode, and might think "Actually, there are quite a few games that I would like to play on this... I'll bite". Nintendo themselves said as much, and again, if you think about this, very few people will buy any games console just for one game, ESPECIALLY in this climate.

I doubt that many will consider these points, and I won't be surprised to find myself on the end of some flames, ridicule and harassment, all of which I have experienced whenever I've brought a more brighter light to these topics, but I do at least hope that some of you will at least stop with the 'failing harder than the GameCube' rhetoric, stop acting as if all the options are been exhausted, and put aside the delusional fanboyist fantasies of failure and death. It's extremely vile and rotten, and you should know that you're dragging this place beneath the GameFAQs and even the 4Chans of this world, to gaming's Tenth Circle. It's late, and I don't have much else to write, so I'll leave it all here. As You Were.

I'm sorry but the Wii U is not going anywhere partially due to the reliance of Nintendo IP's. They just don't have the same power as they once was. Many titles sold excellently on the Wii because the Wii was selling so well. The Wii was one of those rare systems (well, the only one I can think of) that was selling due to hardware. Motion controls got everyone excited and all they really needed was Wii Sports packed in to justify a purchase. Inevitably with a huge market share other titles benefited. Many Nintendo games did well not because people were buying Wii's to buy classic franchises, but because once they got it, they figured, well fuck may as well pick up some other games. Its not like third parties were producing AAA titles on the thing.

Cheerilee

can someone explain why Nintendo is against going 3rd party , is the royalties they make on 20 million wii u -which they are already selling at a loss- worth it ? .
i assume they can get 3 or 4 games yearly that sell from 2 to 3 million (101 and pikmin) to 10+ m like smash and kart easily on the next gen consoles .

8H2hCsR.jpg

Such a terrible fate, to be born in the hardcore trenches, win, get ported to the dominant home console, and roll in money.

Seriously though, if Nintendo went third party, they'd have access to a much larger install base (assuming Nintendo regularly fails at hardware), but their sales might not actually increase all that much, because anyone who gives a crap about Nintendo games has theoretically been trained to buy a Nintendo system by this point.

Also, every 1st party game that Nintendo sells on their own system is worth ~2 Nintendo games sold as a third party, because Nintendo currently doesn't have to pay themselves a royalty, and they would as a third party.

And when Nintendo's hardware clicks, and they actually manage to attract third parties, every third party game that sells on their system is worth ~1 Nintendo game that could theoretically be sold by Nintendo as a third party.

So basically, take the entire gaming landscape on one of Nintendo's "failures" (N64, GameCube, Wii U), and double the value for Nintendo's own first party titles. That's how much Nintendo would need to sell of their own games, minimum, if they went third party.

And when Nintendo's hardware isn't break-even, when they actually earn money on it, that's worth a wildly varying amount as well (depending on how profitable).

Of wait, I forgot. Nintendo is a "free spirit", and can't be tied down by the mundane rules of other hardware makers. Mario 64 would not be possible on a CD, and needed the speed of cartridges.

Angel Whispers: I respect your thoroughness, and you raise some valid points. However, your entire first paragraph (and other parts of your post) is overly aggressive drivel. Plenty of people don't share your optimism and have backed up their analysis. The fact that you're about to lay down a giant wall of text to argue your point doesn't give you the right to be a jerk. Stop doing that.

Rafterman

Banned

As opposed the delusional ramblings of a hardcore Nintendo fan? Just because you write a book of a post talking about how the stars are going to align and make the Wii U a success doesn't make it reality. The reality is that the Wii U's time in the spotlight is over and Nintendo did a piss poor job of taking advantage of being the only new console on the market. How anyone thinks it's going to magically become more appealing with the PS4 and Xbone around is crazy talk. I'll stop with the "fail harder than the Gamecube" when it actually stops failing harder than a Gamecube.

Rafterman, let's keep it civil. I've already addressed Angel Whispers. I welcome you to disagree with his arguments, but calling each other fanboys doesn't make for great discourse.

FLAguy954

trust me, you don't want me posting in this thread anymore. :(

I have a feeling this probably means no third party support not counting Indies for he foreseeable future, which is so fucking sad. I guess a harsh failure will lead to them hitting all of the right notes we know they can net time around. I love Nintendo's works, I just hate the super-misguided direction they decided to take with their current (and many aspects of their previous) home console, fuck :/.

My prediction would be 30 million. I've played the WiiU it was very fun, Nintendoland is very fun with friends. Nintendo need to get back the casual audience they lost to the iPad, Advert showing someone curled up in bed playing a casual game (Animal Crossing etc.) and then exercising in the living room with Wii Fit U, and then in the evening using it for cooking instructions (Cooking Mama), and then to read the kids a story at night. Go really strong and stereotypical and I think you'll see results.

Is this person living in the world's smallest house or do they move their wii u around?

The wii u is not functionality for every day life tasks, it's stuck within 15 feet of the console.

Darryl

Banned
Honestly, Smash and Kart aren't going to do much. They didn't save the Gamecube, nor did Metroid, Mario, Zelda, F-Zero or Starfox. Nintendo pumped out some of the greatest entries in their franchises on the Gamecube, and released a lot of them early on. None of them helped the Gamecube outsell its predecessor.

The Wii sold because of Wii Sports and Wii Fit. While some people bought them for 'normal' Nintendo franchises, way more copies of the normal franchise games were sold to people who bought the Wii to bowl, and wanted to grab something else for the kids to play.

If Nintendo's not going to have third party support, they need new ideas (along the lines of Wii Fit), not more of the same.

A lot of the environment at the time is going to factor into it. There isn't much out there that is threatening to shut out the spotlight on Nintendo's titles. I don't think it is impossible for the titles to do bad - I think it is very possible that it could happen. A lot of the connections that Nintendo has with their audiences appear to be weak connections. There is a poor ratio of diehards to casual fans. That gives it an extremely high ceiling and a really low floor. It could make earthquakes if the timing is right or it could go completely unnoticed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
My prediction would be 30 million. I've played the WiiU it was very fun, Nintendoland is very fun with friends. Nintendo need to get back the casual audience they lost to the iPad, Advert showing someone curled up in bed playing a casual game (Animal Crossing etc.) and then exercising in the living room with Wii Fit U, and then in the evening using it for cooking instructions (Cooking Mama), and then to read the kids a story at night. Go really strong and stereotypical and I think you'll see results.

Do you think the Wii U would be better at doing those things than the tablets it would purportedly be hitting back against? I mean, notwithstanding that Animal Crossing is awesome of course, but imagine that a tablet and the Wii U make the same ad and the Wii U game is Animal Crossing while the tablet game is whatever, Angry Birds, Jetpack Joyride, Tiny Death Star, Doodle Jump, Where's My Water, Minecraft PE (yes yes all those games suck, etc etc), do you think audiences would be more receptive to the Wii U on those merits?

Top Bottom