• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Like a one man human centipede"

Jedi2016

Never did it that way (holding the button for 10-15 seconds) on my PS3 when it froze. Always unplugged it. Weird that this thing would brick because of that.
I agree. That's what makes people think there was something else going on.. like the system was refusing to turn off because it was performing some vital function in the background, that he interrupted by yanking the power out. He didn't say how long he waited or whether he tried any other methods. Given the patience level he's display on-stream so far, I don't imagine he waited more than about twenty seconds before just yanking. He also confirmed it happened in the middle of a game download, which is also what happened to the OP of this thread, so clearly something else is going on that we're not yet aware of.

The only thing that would make brickstream better would be if the guy strapped a GoPro on his head then marched down to his local Taco Bell and demanded a replacement.

Owzers

i want IGN contacting Sony about this, the more confrontation Sony gets the better, if there is a problem that's fixable, it would put pressure on them to fix it instead of saying " things break"

Twio

Is he seriously taking it apart?

If he accidentally voids the warranty he'll probably send that shit flying out his window.

The Flash

Banned
3c9.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If swapping the hard drive really voids the warranty like all the misinformed in here are say ing then thats an even bigger issue.

BadAss2961

Read the OP. That doesn't seem to fix it.

Didn't work on the other brick.
I saw that and know it's probably not going to work with this guy on stream either, but it's the last and only thing he hasn't tried yet.

I guess he could try booting it with USB as well, but he doesn't have a stick. lol

owlbeak

I agree. That's what makes people think there was something else going on.. like the system was refusing to turn off because it was performing some vital function in the background, that he interrupted by yanking the power out. He didn't say how long he waited or whether he tried any other methods. Given the patience level he's display on-stream so far, I don't imagine he waited more than about twenty seconds before just yanking. He also confirmed it happened in the middle of a game download, which is also what happened to the OP of this thread, so clearly something else is going on that we're not yet aware of.
Exactly.

Aren't downloads and installs one in the same on the PS4? It starts downloading and you can begin playing after a short amount of time, so it's caching data to the HDD. Unplugging the system while it's doing this could obviously cause some corruption. There should be some sort of safeguard in case of power outages, etc, which may be why the system won't respond to the power button when it's doing this stuff in the background.

ignata

Jeez, all this makes me wonder if I should update the console via USB or just do the download. I'm not sure which one is less risky.

Top Bottom