• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2007 NPD Analysis (next-gen.biz)

jvm said:
I didn't put this in my article, because it is so anecdotal, but this is as good a place as any to mention it.

I have visited four local GameStop stores in my area in the past few weeks. Not a single one of them has Uncharted in a prominent spot in the PlayStation 3 section. In fact, I've found it on the shelf with the game box SPINE facing out, instead of the front of the box.

There is no in-store advertising, no demo running on the PS3 demo unit, nothing.

As far as I'm concerned, Sony's big TV advertising push has been ok, but it had to be backed by in-store displays. They need someone at the store level making sure that displays are attracting attention, that new games are prominently displayed, and so forth.

I've been in the store just as a Nintendo rep was leaving. She had come in to set up the demo running on the Wii demo unit. She had a Nintendo-branded work shirt and the manager at the time told me that someone from Nintendo comes around to set up the demos every few weeks or so.

Sony needs to be doing that, actively. They need cardboard displays, big posters, anything.

You could be excused for not knowing Uncharted existed if you visited the many stores I've visited. (And, yes, I know GameStop isn't the whole market, but it is one place that Sony is more welcome to set up targeted advertising than in, say, Wal-Mart or Target...)

Just my thoughts. I loved Uncharted and it makes me die a little inside to see it fare poorly. (FWIW, I hope my own preferences don't show too much in the articles I write. I try very hard to keep emotions out of it.)
you aren't going to like this.

the EB i work at has a box in the bathroom... unopened. it's labelled 'uncharted: df standee. please display promptly' or something. now i have no idea if that request to display promptly is from Sony or Gamestop hq. all i know is that it was sent us, and it isn't displayed. no idea who made the call... and this information is offered as is.

for all i know Sony might have told us not to display it for whatever reason.

we definately have a Sony rep in at least once a month (i'm never there when the reps visit)... so i know Sony know we aren't displaying it. the reps do a good job as far as i believe. so it's more another piece of the mystery than me trying to bad mouth anyone.

Dunlop

For reference: CoD4 on PC sold 4 times as much as Crysis on PC (which sold 80K IIRC).

We better hope Miscrosoft and future console makers keep their architecture close to that of a PC or we are looking at the demise of the PC gaming market. More and more games will become console first with the PC as an afterthought. While BitTorrent is awesome for finding anything on the web, it has unfortunately made it so any moron can easily find a priated version of any game.

Back on topic, interesting read. I hope that Sony can pull it together

Chiggs

Gold Member
Borys said:
For reference: CoD4 on PC sold 4 times as much as Crysis on PC (which sold 80K IIRC).

Don't worry, Crysis is a game that will put up solid figures for the next year or so. Once people get better hardware, the interest will rise.

UT3 on PC is supposingly THE biggest bomb in PC FPS history.

Can't say that I'm surprised. I got flamed months ago for posting a "who cares" comment in a UT3 thread. The Unreal franchise is dead. Nobody cares. It wasn't even that great to begin with.

GhaleonEB

Excellent article again this month. Reading the thread now, others have brought up most of the points I was going to. One thing worth mentioning:

The big question: Will Nintendo be able to supply another million or more systems to the market in time for Christmas? The situation is truly uncertain, and history offers almost no guidance. Purely speculating, we'll call it for 1.1 million, and probably lower.
December is a five-week month compared to November's four, so if Nintendo keeps the weekly Wii shipments flat to November, they'll do just over 1.2m. No telling how close they are to doing so, over or under.

Have you asked NPD for the tie ratios for the systems at the same point in their lifecycle? With so much analysis on the performance of key titles, I think it would be interesting to see the overall tie ratio of the Wii and PS3 this month compared to the 360 in November last year.

GhaleonEB said:
December is a five-week month compared to November's four, so if Nintendo keeps the weekly Wii shipments flat to November, they'll do just over 1.2m. No telling how close they are to doing so, over or under.

Do you think the low end of the 360 number should be last year's number? Do you think it could get to 1.5M+?

hoos30

Chiggs said:
Can't say that I'm surprised. I got flamed months ago for posting a "who cares" comment in a UT3 thread. The Unreal franchise is dead. Nobody cares. It wasn't even that great to begin with.

On the flip side, we haven't heard anything out of know-it-all Mark Rein in several weeks. so UT3 bombing does have some benefits. He was pretty critical of MS for their cautious stance on UT3 modding, but I bet right now he'd swap the whole mod scene for a Gears of War style marketing push.

Ranger X

Ok this graphic seem to be positive to me. It's the sales through the end pf November, up to November. This means it's the total sales i guess.

ltdsalesnewsonyip1107.jpg

Resistance in first? Well duh -- launch game.

Uncharted no selling well? It already sold as much as Lair in half the retail time and it sold almost two third Heavenly Sword numbers already. This probably means that if we redo this chart next year, Uncharted will be right next to Resistance.

wtf @ UT3, GH3 360

Ranger X said:
Ok this graphic seem to be positive to me. It's the sales through the end pf November, up to November. This means it's the total sales i guess.

Resistance in first? Well duh -- launch game.

Uncharted no selling well? It already sold as much as Lair in half the retail time and it sold almost two third Heavenly Sword numbers already. This probably means that if we redo this chart next year, Uncharted will be right next to Resistance.

If my dick is bigger than a 12 year old's and a 9 year old's, what does that mean for me?

And I don't think we can just automatically assume UC will have FoM's legs.

GhaleonEB

siamesedreamer said:
Do you think the low end of the 360 number should be last year's number? Do you think it could get to 1.5M+?
It should do much better than last year. Just looking at trending, the 360 increase from November to December 2006 was 121%. If that is applied to November 2007 360 sales, December will be 1.7m.

However, the October-November increase was less this year than last (110% compared to 135% last year). So that could be an indication that the 360 won't see the same size increase.

Right now I'm guessing it will trend up to between 1.5 and 1.7m. Which is very good, and should be enough to MS a brief victory over the Wii. Not that any gains won't disappear in Q1 next year.
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Interesting article. They predict 1.1 millions Wii for December. It is quite low. Pachter said 1.6 millions.
It's all about what the supply will be. No one knows if Nintendo is able to increase it in December.

rSpooky

Damn..Uncharted...

I know they featured it somewhat in those new ps3 commercials, but why do they not show that movie style gametrailer that came out earlier ? Spruce it up a bit to make it work better on TV, add the message that what you see is ingame( same for R&C by the way)

and this way , people see it , might get interested by the story and go out looking for it!?

donny2112

Just commenting on the Resistance total, as I haven't had a chance to really dig into the article, yet.

jvm said:
I was surprised by that number myself, but that was the response I got from NPD when I requested the LTD number for Resistance: Fall of Man. Crazy, no?

http://wii.ign.com/articles/764/764835p1.html

Resistance Nov 06 + Dec 06 - 286K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143434

Resistance Jan 07 - 144K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5814849&postcount=169

Resistance top-selling PS3 game in February, which is greater than Virtua Fighter 5 (53K)

Through Feb 07, Resistance was at a minimum 483K. I think NPD may have given you a YTD instead of a LTD number.

tanod

when is my burrito
GhaleonEB said:

When you think about the 25% increase due to the 5-week month as well as the typical 2x November boost that happens. It's weird to think that PS3 may sell upwards of a million consoles in December.

I'm obviously not saying it will outsell the 360 or the Wii but that's a pretty big amount of consoles for Sony.

Nice analysis jvm but I don't see how not including MotorStorm because it's a pack-in (since pack-ins don't count against NPD software numbers anyway) makes it less relevant of a comparison to the other titles.

Would it have been more accurate if you had obtained the information for the top 5 best-selling first party titles (or console-specific exclusives) on each platform? I would judge performance that way. By the way, the only reason I say console-specific exclusive is because AFAIK, NPD doesn't track PC sales or, at the very least, does so separately.

You also fail to mention that the PS3 attach rate is slightly higher than the Wiis which makes it a healthier platform for software, generally. A historical comparison to the 360's attach rate at this point last year would have been great information as well like GhaleonEB said.

donny2112 said:
Through Feb 07, Resistance was at a minimum 483K. I think NPD may have given you a YTD instead of a LTD number.
Those were my thoughts as well. I didn't have the information to back it up though. Nicely done.

theguy

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Interesting article. They predict 1.1 millions Wii for December. It is quite low. Pachter said 1.6 millions.

Wait. Pachter is predicting 1.6 million Wiis to sell in the U.S. in Dec?

v1cious

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
Damn that's terrible. I wonder if their engine license is doing good sales wise.

did anyone seriously think Crysis wouldn't bomb? it's not on any platform, the specs are ridiculous, and the few peole who can play it were gonna pirate the game anyway. this is just more proof that PC gaming is dead. time to move on.

Saitou

Banned
v1cious said:
did anyone seriously think Crysis wouldn't bomb? it's not on any platform, the specs are ridiculous, and the few peole who can play it were gonna pirate the game anyway. this is just more proof that PC gaming is dead. time to move on.
In before Borys, Teknopathetic shit-fit.

Big comfy couch gaming ftw, PC high-spec gaming ftmfl

max-pain

donny2112 said:
Just commenting on the Resistance total, as I haven't had a chance to really dig into the article, yet.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/764/764835p1.html

Resistance Nov 06 + Dec 06 - 286K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143434

Resistance Jan 07 - 144K

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5814849&postcount=169

Resistance top-selling PS3 game in February, which is greater than Virtua Fighter 5 (53K)

February: 70k

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158048

So it's exactly 500k by the end of February.

Concept17

I think we're forgetting Uncharted released at right after both CoD4 and AC. I know I held back on getting it because I bought the other two first, and was not able to afford any other games in Nov. In regards to only the PS3, I would say CoD4 and AC had just as much, if not more hype than Uncharted did. I imagine, like Resistance, it will continue to sell decent numbers of the next year, and eventually surpass 1m.

Rat Salad

Banned
Resistance 500,000
:lol

Didn't this forum keep preaching about Resistance having sales of around 2,000,000?
Bu Bu But Sony didn't advertise it properly.
Better have a recount.

jjasper

Rat Salad said:
Resistance 500,000

Didn't this forum keep preaching about Resistance having sales of around 2,000,000?
Better have a recount.
#1 it is worldwide sales (w/ pack ins I think)
#2 the thread already proves the number is wrong

doicare

Rat Salad said:
Resistance 500,000

Better have a recount.

2,000,000 worldwide......please insert another coin and try again.

MidiSurf

Banned
Is this right ?

Title: Crysis (PC)
Actual units: 86,633
Expected units: 68,600
% From Expected: +26.28%

According this Crysis wasn't such bomb that people are talking.

EDIT: And UT3 was bomb.

Title: Unreal Tournament 3 (PC)
Actual units: 33,995
Expected units: 70,600
% From Expected: -51.84%

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Rat Salad said:
Resistance 500,000

Better have a recount.

:bow :bow Rat Salad pwnz $ony!!!

donny2112 said:

Yep, definitely gave him the YTD number... which actually would be pretty useful, given that we have 2006 numbers for it; so eyeballing that graph, if they gave him YTD 2007, the lifetime total would be around 750k which is about what I'd expect... and...

theguy said:
For crying out loud, according to NPD data, life-to-date sales of, Resistance: FOM, is over 757K.

There's the confirmation. Looks like whoever from NPD that sent the numbers over to next-gen sent the YTD number.

Azih

I think that the Holiday season will prove to be more important for Wii software than other consoles.

Could we get a graph of software sales by month for the three consoles? I bet the Wii has a larger spike than the others.

MidiSurf said:
Is this right ?

Title: Crysis (PC)
Actual units: 86,633
Expected units: 68,600
% From Expected: +26.28%

According this Crysis wasn't such bomb that people are talking.

Being expected to bomb by analysts doesn't mean it's not a bomb. :lol

A $20-$30 million dollar game + advertisements can't survive selling 100k.

Sony seriously does deserve some of the crap results it gets . . . for example, when launching a new console . . . why not launch a lot of the well-known IP along with it?

They've got very strong brands like Gran Turismo, SOCOM, Twisted Metal, God of War . . . but NONE of those franchises are available for purchase even a year after the system's release!! Instead they fund a ton of new IP that hasn't done very well. To quote Plan 9 from Outer Space . . . that was stupid . . . . Stupid, stupid, stupid!

speculawyer said:
Sony seriously does deserve some of the crap results it gets . . . for example, when launching a new console . . . why not launch a lot of the well-known IP along with it?

Probably because the games just plain weren't ready to be released at launch? Sony's hand was pretty much forced in this, you know.

MidiSurf

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

Ok, I thought that the Expected units was set by some one in the company (EA) for this period... And 100k sells aren't final. I actually think Crysis will do quite well on long run.

I'm not sure how relevant PC games sales are considering the massive money dealing that must occur behind the curtains between devs/pubs and hardware manufacturers.

Slavik81

explodet said:
Interesting point - was Microsoft so concerned about beating Sony (and arguably succeeding) that it never saw the Wii coming?
Microsoft thought this generation would be identical to the last, just with incremental increases in console horsepower. The Xbox 360 Premium reflects that. It's basically an upgraded Xbox. The Xbox Core, though, was how Microsoft really planned on beating Sony. It was basically an upgraded PS2. It still uses memory cards, it released for $300USD, it was clearly designed to be the PS2.

Neither Sony nor Nintendo thought this was the case and they chose different paths (doing practically the opposite of one another). Sony, believing they could do no wrong, aimed to become much more PC-like and focus on high-end technology, making their dream console. Nintendo, on the other hand, had their backs to the wall and chose to do something totally off-the-wall with low-end technology as a last-ditch effort, pushing console gaming even further away from PC-gaming.

Next-gen.biz]Only 987,000 copies of Assassin's Creed were sold on the Xbox 360, and the additional 377,000 copies on the PlayStation 3 provided the margin to put it well ahead of the record set by Gears of War. It is doubtful that Assassin's Creed would have set such a dramatic record as a single-platform game.

I was under the impression that the AC Collector's edition also sold an additional 110k+ on 360, or was that included in NPD's top 10 total?

Slavik81

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Crysis will sell for years.
And the NPD numbers for it don't matter that much anyways. Europe plays PC games.
The worldwide LTD for Crysis will be fine.

Besides, I suspect that Crysis is as much a way to advertise the engine and high-end graphics cards as it is a game. Nvidea moneyhats...? I wouldn't be surprised...

Slavik81 said:

Crysis will sell for years.
And the NPD numbers for it don't matter that much anyways. Europe plays PC games.
The worldwide LTD for Crysis will be fine.

Besides, I suspect that Crysis is as much a way to advertise the engine and high-end graphics cards as it is a game. Nvidea moneyhats...? I wouldn't be surprised...

Germany (and maybe Sweden) plays PC games.

The rest of Europe plays DS and PS2, and is slowly coming around to the new consoles. Crysis hasn't exactly lit up the PAL charts.

You know, people keep talking about "Did Microsoft pay too much attention to Sony?" when the real question I have is "Does Microsoft have anyway to counter Nintendo?"

I don't think they do. I think the demographics that Nintendo is hitting are completely outside of Microsoft's ability to reach at the moment. They don't have the internal studios developing at the rate necessary to bring in those people. And frankly, a large segment of the Wii base is going to buy the console, enjoy Wii Sports, maybe get Mario and a couple of other games, and that's it. They're the gamers that wouldn't buy a console for Guitar Hero, but they'll gladly enjoy it when someone else has it or Rock Band. That's not your typical 360 gamer, who blithely goes from one game to the next as the community hits game after game.

I say that Microsoft had no choice but to pay attention to Sony to try to under cut Sony in North America, and I'd say they're doing a good job of it. I think a price cut right before GTA4 comes out will help lead to their growth over Sony while Nintendo will continue to ride its own wave and sell. I don't think Microsoft can compete against Nintendo with the 360. They can try with the Arcade, but frankly, I don't see that working. Hell, if they sold the Arcade for $199 with a $250 Wii, I still don't know if they would still be competing for mass market breakthrough. The Wii already has that due to its innovative control scheme and great press.

Top Bottom