• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer - XB1 outsells X360 2:1 in UK launch - Forza Best Selling XB1 Launch Exclus

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-25-xbox-one-outsells-xbox-360-two-to-one-in-uk-launch

The Xbox One outsold the Xbox 360 two-to-one in the UK when you compare both console's launch periods.

The Xbox 360 launches in the UK in 2005 - nearly eight years ago.

Sales of the Xbox One, which launched on Friday 22nd November, amounted to 80 per cent of all home consoles sold this week.

10 of the 16 Xbox One launch titles debuted in the UK's top 40 chart, which counts physical sales only - exactly the same number of titles that appeared in the top 40 of the week of the Xbox 360's launch.

With a 328 per cent increase in sales, FIFA 14 returns to number one after a seven week absence. The lead format is the Xbox One version, which Chart-Track notes is the best-selling Xbox One game. But this is down to it being included in the Xbox One Day 1 edition, so it's a slightly misleading chart this week.

The PlayStation 4 version of FIFA 14 charts, despite the console not going on sale in the UK until this Friday, 29th November.

Call of Duty: Ghosts drops to second place after two weeks at the top. The PS4 and Xbox One versions bother released ahead of their consoles.

Battlefield 4 is in number three, boosted by the release of the Xbox One version. Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is similarly boosted into fourth place, with both the PS4 and Xbox One versions out this week.

Xbox One exclusive Forza 5 debuts at number five, but, like FIFA 14, benefited from being bundled in with some Xbox One consoles. Lego Marvel Super Heroes is sixth. Dead Rising 3 is in at seven. 3DS game The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds debuts at nine. The third biggest Xbox One exclusive is Ryse: Son of Rome, which enters the chart in tenth place.

So takeaways

• XB1 sold 150,000 Units in the UK at launch
  • Best Selling Games for UK at launch are as follows:
    1. Fifa 14 [XB1 version is best selling XB1 game Due to Pack-In]
    2. COD Ghosts
    3. BF4
    4. ACIV
    5. Forza 5 [Although Also a Pack-In for some offers]
    6. Lego Marvel Super Heroes
    7. Dead Rising 3
    8. Unknown
    9. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
    10. Ryse
  • Thus best selling XB1 Exclusives go like this for UK: Forza 5 > Dead Rising 3 > Ryse > All other disc based games (Zoo Tycoon, Fighter Within, maybe Powerstar Golf?)

Not unexpected, Find the console numbers more interesting. Anyone have X360 launch numbers handy?

Lock if old

-----

For Reference

So it did 140k

For reference

PS3 165k
PSP 185k - record holder

Sony aiming for ~250k this week.

XB1 sold 150,000 units at UK launch in 48 hours. For comparison PS3 sold 165,000 at its UK launch

That's pretty bad to not even beat the PS3, which was a disaster at launch.

Especially considering the absolutely huge amount of marketing the XB1 has received here.

That's not great for Forza is it. 5th for a big exclusive. Sure there are 4 big multiplats ahead of it but considering it was also bundled Id say its positioning is disappointing.

Decent numbers for the console though. Nothing record breaking but it's about where we estimated the region split of sales to be. Basically looks like the rest of Europe/world got ~150k and the US 700k. Of course saying the machine outsold the 360 2:1 sounds like some greater success than it is but still admirable sales.

ZeroX03

Banned
Poor Link Between Worlds at 9th! At least it held it's own against a console launch, it's actually pretty impressive.

I make fifa to be <63,000 sold then.

Last weeks chart Fifa sold less than XBO COD ghosts which sold 19,200 so if we times that by 3.28 we get just under 63,000.

Not bad for a launch title, but far from amazing either.

Last weeks chart Fifa sold less than XBO COD ghosts which sold 19,200 so if we times that by 3.28 we get just under 63,000.

Is that for all Fifa versions or just the XB1 version?

Perhaps it's not clear but the list in my OP is of best selling games regardless of platform so multiplats count across platforms

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So now the ground is set for the next wave of comparisons. Certainly we'll get a UK breakdown next Monday, along with general rest-of-world numbers from Sony

Are we likely to get a breakdown of US Xbox 1 launch numbers?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Given last week

FIFA 14 - 41,472

This means this week

FIFA 14 (+328%) - 177,500

Is this right?

Is that for all Fifa versions or just the XB1 version?

Perhaps it's not clear but the list in my OP is of best selling games regardless of platform so multiplats count across platforms

Id say its across all platforms untill the guardian spilts are released.

That said, the bulk of sales must of come from XBO

So now the ground is set for the next wave of comparisons. Certainly we'll get a UK breakdown next Monday, along with general rest-of-world numbers from Sony

I see no reason why MS would advertise US numbers as they're certainly worse than PS4 numbers. Question is if a 3rd party will announce them

NPD for November should be interesting

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

FIFA was 44k last week. So 3.28 x 44 = 144

Which would make the Xbone version 100k if the rest were flat.

edit: I guess it depends if you view 328% as 3.28 or 4.28 times.

FIFA was 44k last week. So 3.28 x 44 = 144

Which would make the Xbone version 100k if the rest were flat.

I think those numbers might be accurate

With 140,000 XB1's sold and it being packed into a large percentage, that sounds about right

Which would imply Forza (XB1's best selling exclusive) likely sold under 100,000 units

According to the OP it sold less than the PS3 at launch which doesn't exactly invoke confidence.

So it did 140k

For reference

PS3 165k
PSP 185k - record holder

Sony aiming for ~250k this week.

If Sony hits 250k in UK, MS is in big trouble. Losing both UK and US so early is a very bad omen for them. They could be forced to launch a Kinect-less SKU @ $/€399 in spring to compete.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I see no reason why MS would advertise US numbers as they're certainly worse than PS4 numbers. Question is if a 3rd party will announce them

NPD for November should be interesting

I wonder if we can extrapolate a rough number if we have UK and maybe get a few other major markets like France and Germany?

Trevelyon

Will be really interesting to know given the million plus sold through claim. Thought UK would be at least 200k and change given the 2:1 success of the 360 and the massive marketing campaign.

All eyes on Sony now. They have the best chance of a record breaking launch if they've managed to get the units out there. And by the sounds if it they will have.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Not a great launch for the new MS console. PS4 will kill it this Friday.

MS have really fucked this up. Their vision of a multimedia machine was a bad mistake that will cost them this generation.

I guess the good news is that there is a chance that this will push MS to cut prices and push out a Kinect-less SKU sooner rather then later.

All I know is the PS3 was the record holder at 165,000 for its opening weekend in the UK.

PS4 will smash that this Friday.

A 328% increase should be 4.28x the initial amount.

Reasonable numbers given the price (more expensive than launch PS3 iirc). FIFA probably helped in terms of the perception of value.

If Sony hits 250k in UK, MS is in big trouble. Losing both UK and US so early is a very bad omen for them. They could be forced to launch a Kinect-less SKU @ $/€399 in spring to compete.

Given the impressions in the XB1 thread, I think its far more likely they find a way to bring the cost of the entire console and Kinect combo. The Xb1 for better or worse, NEEDS kinect to work effectively.

For what it's worth, supply has been pretty constrained in London. Near impossible to find a store with free sale stock. That night change today with uncollected pre-orders going on general sale...

I wonder if we can extrapolate a rough number if we have UK and maybe get a few other major markets like France and Germany?

I've been wondering that as well since I first read the article

Surely it did big numbers in Australia with the price difference being halved

Although I'm most curious about Brazil numbers because MS should do well relatively to PS4 with the price difference

Will be really interesting to know given the million plus sold through claim. Thought UK would be at least 200k and change given the 2:1 success of the 360 and the massive marketing campaign.

This is talking about launch day numbers. XB1 sold 140,000 units in the UK on launch day

So that leaves 860,000 units to track down for the 12 remaining launch territories

artist

Banned
Underwhelming given the 1M+ worldwide number?

edit: I personally thought the UK would contribute 20% of that WW figure.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
For what it's worth, supply has been pretty constrained in London. Near impossible to find a store with free sale stock. That night change today with uncollected pre-orders going on general sale...

Yes. Speaking to indie retailers. They've said they've had more demand then stock. Although I don't think the stock shortages are anywhere near as bad as the 360 launch.

GAME on the other hand did have some Xbox One's left but were only selling them in forced bundles.
I wonder when the next wave of Xbox Ones hit the UK shore. If MS can keep replenishing the channel on the regular basis then the final launch window figures could look reasonable.

Top Bottom