• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony requiring password changes after 'irregular PSN activity'

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks, but I've only got MUBI on my non fake account, any other suggestions? Would really suck if one day I'd lose all my content because of something stupid like that ;(
I think you just have to contact Sony support in that case and explain the situation. I dont think they would let people lose their account over this.

Dragoshi1

Got my and my brother's passwords reset, and I too got the email a day later.

My PS3 also recovered from the random "Settings Corrupted" BSOD. So that's good.

I think it was somehow connected with the whole they reset my password. What happened was, I have Plus, so it autosigns me in, but when I tried going on two days ago, it gave me the incorrect password message. Turned it off, and when my brother turned it back on to play Guided Fate, as soon as it hit the XMB, the BSOD and Settings corrupted message showed up, making the console reset and go through its start up settings(like set time, date, ect), and when I got my account password reset, I had to activate the PS3 again to use my games and stuff.

Zzoram

I don't know what the fake DOB is on my PSN account. After a dozen tries I'm giving up and abandoning it. It's so stupid that they can't just send you an email without the DOB.

Just email them asking for a password reset link.

I've been trying to do that for about a week now. Every time I try it get an error code that you can not reset the password for the next 24 hours. 24 hours go by and I still get it. I'm going to try tomorrow again and that will be two straight days without trying, so we will see.

Eusis

Just got a SECOND one. Phoned in the password this time, I don't really like taking the time to figure out and write down a new password only to have throw it out a week or two later. Frustratingly, I wonder if deleting my CC info is why it happened?

ViciousDS

Banned
got mine stating I needed to change the password.............2 weeks later I have yet to do so and its still letting me log into my PS4.

lexi

Banned
Well, that was annoying. I couldn't log into the account at all from my PC, I had to do it on the and change the password on the Vita.

Orteip490

I had my account locked from Sony and I could not change my password because of an error with their system (not recognizing my date of birth :/ ). After one hour at the phone and after sending them a scan of my ID, now I can finally change my password.

Derrick01

Banned
I just got another email as well. I hope this was a mistake and they accidentally sent duplicates out. If I really have to change it again I'm going to be pissed.

smr00

Banned
I just got another email as well. I hope this was a mistake and they accidentally sent duplicates out. If I really have to change it again I'm going to be pissed.
God forbid they inconvenience you for all of 3 seconds.

It literally took me under 5 seconds to click the link and enter a new password. It's not a big deal. As for the DOB changing, maybe you should of been honest upfront.

daveo42

Banned
Got my first email this morning after booting up my PS4. Password changed and everything. I did, however, buy a few games last night (thanks Persona sale).

Derrick01

Banned

It literally took me under 5 seconds to click the link and enter a new password. It's not a big deal. As for the DOB changing, maybe you should of been honest upfront.

I shouldn't have to change my password every week. Are they really this incompetent with security?

androvsky

I'm not clicking a change password link in an email no matter how official it looks, sorry. :)

edit: Oh hey, they actually reset my password this time.

Derrick01

Banned
Ah okay. I just got on my PS3 Tuesday so it makes sense. I just got the email this morning.

I haven't turned my ps3 on since ps4 came out and today they actually did force me to change my password when I logged in to the website. When they sent the first email out nothing made me change it so I just did it to be safe, so maybe that's why I got another? No idea.

Raoh

I was only prompted when I tried to sign on to my Music Unlimited account via the web as opposed to my PS4/PS3 or iPhone.

Ogawa-san

For anyone who hasn't heard, there was another wide-scale (across many services) account leak uncovered yesterday:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/04/technology/security/passwords-stolen/
It's NOT an account leak.

"The massive data breach was a result of keylogging software maliciously installed on an untold number of computers around the world, researchers at cybersecurity firm Trustwave said. The virus was capturing log-in credentials for key websites over the past month and sending those usernames and passwords to a server controlled by the hackers."

bumpkin

Got the message myself last night.
I got one this morning, too. I went through their process and changed the password, but I am definitely a little confused about one thing. I've been playing Knack's Quest on my iPhone a lot, and it seems to be completely unaffected by the change. I tap "Sign in" in the App, it displays a loading screen saying it's signing in, and then it's good. It never tells me my password is wrong even though I just changed it.

Samus4145

Just got the email, and spent the 5 seconds changing it. The world still turns.

Got it a second time. Can't even log into the SEN site to change it. I get the log in prompt, and sign in, but then it never signs me in and clicking the button to sign up flashes the pop up and immediately closes. Tried this in multiple browsers.

Snicky

I did not get a request to change password one in the first round but did get one this morning. First time I have had to change my pw, hopefully it does not become a regular occurrence as it seems to for some of us here.

Eusis

The problem is that some of us want to do esoteric passwords and probably store them somewhere secure, and so we have to dump that again before we even at least had the password a few months.

Hopefully they get a two pass system in place because I certainly don't see a keylogging problem going away.

sangreal

Got this email today. Not the end of the world, but certainly annoying.

It's a long-term inconvenience because it's a new password I have to deal with

Derrick01

Banned
I got the email, but wasn't prompted to reset my password when turning on my ps4. Just downloaded the Fifa demo.

Weird?

That's what happened to me the first time they sent these out. The websites and Vita didn't make me change anything either so I just went ahead and did it anyway.

edit: Ok what the hell Sony? I signed into PSN on PS4 even though I changed my password on PC earlier. That's a pretty fucking serious security flaw...

Pop

I was wondering why I couldn't log into Warframe just now. Checked my email and yea.

All seems good now.

Zoe

edit: Ok what the hell Sony? I signed into PSN on PS4 even though I changed my password on PC earlier. That's a pretty fucking serious security flaw...

I'm guessing the PS4 uses hardware verification that only checks in every so often.

sangreal

This is funny because you are serious. You should change passwords periodically anyway.

Studies have shown dubious benefit (if not negative impact) to any form of password expiration, and even if it were a good idea, I would not care enough to employ it on my playstation account. The situations where it would prove useful do not apply to an individual PSN account. If you have a server with some important data it makes sense to frequently update the password because someone could be spying on it long-term without leaving any indication that it is hacked. This concept does not translate in any meaninful way to a PSN account and frequently changing your password only makes it more difficult to remember a strong password, leading to lazy changes.

zewone

Got it today. I didn't notice any unusual activity on my credit card. Removed billing just in case. I would like free games.

marz1988

Banned
just got this email. funny thing is, the only thing i actually did on PSN was enter my CC info a few days ago. Better to be safe than sorry i guess.

Top Bottom