• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2013 Part 2. Haswell = #IntelnoTIM, but free online. READ THE OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Restrain This

Neo Member
What are you looking at specifically?

Basically just going with one of the builds in the OP. So something like i7 4770k / GTX 770 4GB / 16 GB RAM.

At the $400 price point, I feel like the R9 290 would get me a bit more bang for my buck. But I would like to get this built relatively soon since I'm currently on a 5+ year old machine and would like to start doing some gaming before my vacation ends. So I'd probably be willing to wait a couple weeks to do the build if it means that switching to the R9 would be a significant performance boost. But if there is no end in sight to these bit coin shenanigans and the performance increase would be pretty marginal, I would probably just jump the gun on my above build.

zainetor

Banned
Okay, I think I've finally decided on upgrading to a GTX 770. Anyone have opinions on which one in particular I should get? For complicated reasons, it needs to be available at Best Buy (seems like just the reference model is) or Amazon.
Asus, msi or gigabyte.
Yoi cant go wron with one of those.

mkenyon

Banned
Basically just going with one of the builds in the OP. So something like i7 4770k / GTX 770 4GB / 16 GB RAM.

At the $400 price point, I feel like the R9 290 would get me a bit more bang for my buck. But I would like to get this built relatively soon since I'm currently on a 5+ year old machine and would like to start doing some gaming before my vacation ends. So I'd probably be willing to wait a couple weeks to do the build if it means that switching to the R9 would be a significant performance boost. But if there is no end in sight to these bit coin shenanigans and the performance increase would be pretty marginal, I would probably just jump the gun on my above build.
Well, you'd really want to look at getting a non-reference 290, which may not be out for 3+ weeks. No way to know if prices will normalize by then. I'd bet not. Their yields just aren't high enough to satisfy demand.

I don't know how you feel about buying used, but 780s are available second hand for $400-450.

Restrain This

Neo Member
Well, you'd really want to look at getting a non-reference 290, which may not be out for 3+ weeks. No way to know if prices will normalize by then. I'd bet not. Their yields just aren't high enough to satisfy demand.

I don't know how you feel about buying used, but 780s are available second hand for $400-450.

Cool. Thanks so much for the advice. I'll probably just go with nvidia in that case.

What's the opinion of people here of 8 vs 4 power pins on the top end i5/i7s?

I had a guy who couldn't fit a Gryphon and all of the motherboards we had in stock were four pin monstrosities. I've had problems before with 4670s pulling too much power at full load and causing weird issues with only four power pins. Anyone else got any experience/anecdotes/opinons about this?

Anton668

friend of mine is trying to piece together a uber budget ghetto build
1 question, whats the difference(if any) tween...
I3 4130 vs I3 3220

??

also both MoBo's in the standard build are discontinued :(

So I got a Y410p back in August, my CPU (i74700MQ) should hit 3.4ghz using turbo boost, but it only hits 3.2ghz. Could this be a heating issue?

Also, if I wanted to change my GPU on a laptop what should I do?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I got a Y410p back in August, my CPU (i74700MQ) should hit 3.4ghz using turbo boost, but it only hits 3.2ghz. Could this be a heating issue?

Also, if I wanted to change my GPU on a laptop what should I do?
3.4 is massive single core use with some other crap that usually never happens, don't sweat it.

GPU needs to be swappable (most are not) and be prepared to pay $600 if it is.

3.4 is massive single core use with some other crap that usually never happens, don't sweat it.

GPU needs to be swappable (most are not) and be prepared to pay $600 if it is.

Well, considering that I dolphin some games and 3.3ghz is the magic number for Xenoblade to not stutter for half a second every 10 sec, I kinda need it to go to 3.4

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Well, considering that I dolphin some games and 3.3ghz is the magic number for Xenoblade to not stutter for half a second every 10 sec, I kinda need it to go to 3.4
My guess is that Dolphin is using 2 cores and the max tubo for 2 cores in use by default is 3.2Ghz. Hot temps might cause you to be at 3.2 instead of 3.4 as well, does it spike to 3.4Ghz as soon as you load the game and then step back down to 3.2?
Maybe there's an option in your BIOS to force max turbo / turn off all power saving (Max performance) when on AC power?

Also how do you know you need 3.3? What magic on that laptop model i7 Haswell makes that so? Sandy/Ivy/Haswell perform different at the same clockspeed with Haswell (what you have) supposedly being much better at emulation.

mkenyon

Banned
gvApQ53.png

[QUIET OPTIONS]
Vnp7oxv.png
5d3x5oi.png
$60 - BitFenix Shinobi .
smxXcMq.png
$80 - NZXT H230 . . . . .
5Xt5UBu.png
$100 - Define R4 . . . . . . . .
7uv1Nt9.png
$130 - Fractal Define XL R2​

[BUDGET]
Vnp7oxv.png
5gVK6lw.png
$40 - NZXT Source 210
SFXcHsq.png
$45 - Enermax Ostrog
KX20N9d.png
$50 - CM N400 . . . . . . . . . .
lzq2XCr.png
$60 - Corsair 200R​

[ENHANCED]
Vnp7oxv.png
D9woTlB.png
$100 - CM 690 III . . . . . . .
rWtulla.png
$100 - CM Scout II . . . .
FHPh2hn.png
$110 - Lian Li PC-7HWX
m61gbEH.png
$110 - Fractal Arc Midi R2​

[ENTHUSIAST]
Vnp7oxv.png
1zcINmG.png
$150 Corsair Air 540 . . . .
sNtSB0r.png
$150 - NZXT H630 . . .
Y3miXnA.png
$240 - Phanteks Primo . . .
tiYTfh8.png
$400 - CaseLabs SM8​

[Micro ATX]
Vnp7oxv.png
4NknOmP.png
$75 - Silverstone PS07 . .
KKPfFwG.png
$100 - Corsair 350D . . .
WDpIXYP.png
$100 - Define Mini . . . . . . .
5gw36kQ.png
$120 - Silverstone SG10​

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So, Christmas super budget PC is go, got everything for under $400 after rebate, and I'm basically eating those if they don't go through I guess.

CPU/Motherboard - FX 6300 / M5A78L-M LX PLUS - $122 (Microcenter bundle)
GPU - XFX 7850 1GB - $90
RAM - Team 8GB 2133 RAM - $54
HDD - WD Blue 500GB - $50
Case - Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 - $50
PSU - Antec VP450 - $15

Total - $381

Motherboard isn't great by any means, but as long as it's functional that will be good enough. Shouldn't be any overclocking happening here, no USB3 devices that will be used right now, no SSD and unlikely he'll get one anytime soon. The lacking features shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't heard good things about XFX lately, but for the price I'll give the GPU a shot. I'm using an older XFX card and haven't had any problems with it so hopefully they haven't gotten significantly worse or something.

RAM, I wish I could do over. I bought it intending to go with Kaveri in January so speed was the priority, but plans changed and I wish I had spent a little less for something from a company I'm more familiar with (and gotten 1.5v, not sure what difference that will make).

I went over budget with the case versus what I had planned, but I think it will be worth it.

riflen

Provided you have the iso...

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

It says windows 7, but it works for 8 and 8.1

I don't know if MS has made the 8.1 iso available yet to those without an MSDN subscription. You may have to install 8 using a stick, then update to 8.1 though the MS Store. Anyway I wouldn't recommend the tool suggested. It only supports MBR partitioning and not GPT. This means that it also doesn't allow you to install the OS with your motherboard set to UEFI mode.

I suggest you instead use a program like Rufus to create the install stick.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So, Christmas super budget PC is go, got everything for under $400 after rebate, and I'm basically eating those if they don't go through I guess.

GPU - XFX 7850 1GB - $90
PSU - Antec VP450 - $15

Total - $381

Motherboard isn't great by any means, but as long as it's functional that will be good enough. Shouldn't be any overclocking happening here, no USB3 devices that will be used right now, no SSD and unlikely he'll get one anytime soon. The lacking features shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't heard good things about XFX lately, but for the price I'll give the GPU a shot. I'm using an older XFX card and haven't had any problems with it so hopefully they haven't gotten significantly worse or something.

RAM, I wish I could do over. I bought it intending to go with Kaveri in January so speed was the priority, but plans changed and I wish I had spent a little less for something from a company I'm more familiar with (and gotten 1.5v, not sure what difference that will make).

I went over budget with the case versus what I had planned, but I think it will be worth it.
That's fantastic. FWIW Team used to be great/fine. Don't sweat it. For Sandy / AM3 I don't think 1.65V is an issue, but you can probably run the RAM at 1600 or 1866 1.5V.

inter

Jealous of the new Steam Machines, I'm interested in finding a smaller form factor case for my current setup. Is there a reliable way of knowing what sort of case I should buy past making sure the motherboard fits?

Here's my setup (sans CPU cooler). Just took the CPU cooler out now and cleaned the thermal paste off it and the CPU. I noticed before I cleaned it that barely any of the preapplied thermal paste transferred over to the CPU. Also double checked and the cooler mount is solid... Doesn't move at all.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/7F52C3EB-1A87-4A9B-99B9-4A2D7D9FA887_zpstqifkrq1.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/A712D8E1-738D-430D-A48F-7E852E47E527_zpszokvoo6e.jpg

Canada computers opens in 75 mins so I'll head out then to grab some arctic silver.

Irobot82

There are lots of exchanges to turn it around to real money. It's surprisingly easy.

Yes but don't they limit it to like 1 or 2 coins a day or something like that? Are you telling me I could take 100 bitcoins or 1000 litecoins and transfer it into real cash in one transaction?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Jealous of the new Steam Machines, I'm interested in finding a smaller form factor case for my current setup. Is there a reliable way of knowing what sort of case I should buy past making sure the motherboard fits?

If you're using it for gaming you probably want to make sure it doesn't use low profile slots, a lot of HTPC cases do. Also check the PSU form factor. And if you're using (or are interested in using) an aftermarket CPU cooler you should check the clearance for that.

tr4656

Yes but don't they limit it to like 1 or 2 coins a day or something like that? Are you telling me I could take 100 bitcoins or 1000 litecoins and transfer it into real cash in one transaction?
Yes. Mt.Gox for example, allow you to trade as many coins as you want.

kennah

Yep. It's like a stock exchange now. You can put out that you want to sell x amount of coins and if there are enough buy orders then x amount of coins would sell.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Anyone want a CM Storm mouse for a low special GAF price (free?). If you don't need a mouse or can easily afford one, please don't respond. Hoping to help out a PC GAFFER who's currently on a tight budget! Send me your shipping address and I'll even pick up the shipping cost.

kennah

Anyone want a CM Storm mouse for a low special GAF price (free?). If you don't need a mouse or can easily afford one, please don't respond. Hoping to help out a PC GAFFER who's currently on a tight budget! Send me your shipping address and I'll even pick up the shipping cost.
I could use it if it's not gone! My wireless won't
Charge anymore unless I physically hold it down in the charger.

I'm even in Canada :)

So post-arctic silver its running about 10-12 degrees cooler but under 100% load it will still hit tj max sometimes and downclock by like .1 ghz. I imagine the curing process will make things a little better. That being said I wasn't able to hit TJ Max when playing MK9 at anymore. Anyway its good enough for my purposes :)

GPU - XFX 7850 1GB - $90
PSU - Antec VP450 - $15

Total - $381

I am pretty sure that the 1 TB WD10EZEX is only like $10 more then the 500gb one you have listed. Don't know if that is already going too far over your budget though.

The Microsoft tool to create a bootable flash drive isn't working. I think that's the issue. I downloaded another program to create Isos with, created another Iso and tried it and it still doesn't work. What the hell am I doing wrong.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I am pretty sure that the 1 TB WD10EZEX is only like $10 more then the 500gb one you have listed. Don't know if that is already going too far over your budget though.

I considered that, but I passed just because I don't think he needs it and that's money saved for whoever gifts it to him. Trying to keep it as cheap as possible for everyone involved.

For reference the PC he's been using only has 320GB and he barely used any of the space on that, and the PC he's been sharing for gaming has 500GB and they've only used around 250GB on there.

But I totally splurged on the case anyway. Case deals were terrible, it was the Arc Midi for $50 or a Rosewill Challenger for $25 after rebate. And if I'm going to have to help build this thing I want to work in something decent.

Abdozer

Hey guys, I'm upgrading to a 770 this Friday from a 560ti. Will my PSU be sufficient enough? I do plan on upgrading the PSU later on but I'm just wondering if that's alright for now. Thanks.

At the moment Mt Gox has the market depth to unload 100BTC although you'd drop the value of BTC on Mt Gox all the way down to $880. 100LTC you can unload on btc-e and there's pretty strong support (over 700 coins on the bid) for $30.77. 50 x R290X is 50MHashes/sec for Litecoins which should be about 17 coins a day or thereabouts at current difficulty. 17 coins at $30.77 is, yes, $500/day that can apparently be liquidated. About $490/day once you factor in power costs. Assuming he paid $500 a card he'll break even in maybe 2 months? Once you factor in CPUs, RAM, motherboards, power supplies.

That assumes the difficulty remains around 2900 which it won't, the price will remain above $30 which is a maybe and that the market remains liquid and who the fuck knows if that's going to happen a month from now once tulip mania dissipates and the bubble deflates/bursts

NoRéN

I didn't order a CPU cooler. I was told the case fans would be enough. Unless that's what you're talking about when you say "stock cooler."

Stock cooler is the cooler that specifically cools your cpu. Sits on top of the cpu on the motherboard and consists of a heatsink with fan.
It comes with the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom