• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

WTF!! No hard mode!? You have got to be shitting me. I'm starting to lose faith in IntSys. ;_;

Maybe this will be the first DS game to have downloadable content or their saving the good stuff for Advance Wars Wiiware.
6iw9zn.png

I was gonna buy this day one... but now I might wait, I've never played AW:DS so maybe I should get that one instead, unless the online play really redeems this title.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I like the sound of the changes they've made. I never got to play AW:DS and now that's ridiculously hard to find, so this is definitely a buy for me. At first I was a bit thrown by the style, but after watching some things I think it's well done. The story in AW2 was kind of annoying, so the change should help that some. Tomorrow morning is going to be fun, picking up this and Endless Ocean.

Koren

marvelharvey said:
WTF???? No hard mode? [...] Even though this is a 'Day One' for me, that 'normal' campaign better be damned good.
Err... That doesn't make sense. They really want to anger all their fans ? :lol

So all interesting things in Advance Wars are gone... ?

nli10

Please tell me there is at least some element of OCD in the game?!

Medals?

Ranks?

COs going up?

At least something that unlocks???

Not cancelling my pre-order, and will play this game until it's all done, but i have a feeling that this is the online, fully balanced Advance Wars and the one I already have is the RPG style, lopsided one.

Both can exist in unison I guess - I did wonder how they would top the last game and now I know; they decided to take the same format in the opposite direction for a multiplayer focused title that means it's all about strategy not knowing the map and power levelling the COs.

Are we getting review scores by major sites yet?

FoxSpirit

Hmmm, no T rating, just E10+. They can't really go far with postapocalyptic there... what is the rating description?

edit:Oh, lanuage and mild violence. But in a 10+ setting. I really expected a T worthy story.

JSnake

Chapter 15 is stupidly unfair. Okay, so you need to make sure your allied units get to the other side of the map. There's only two of them (an infantry and a recon). You have a medium tank (which you can't fucking move), a tank, two anti-airs, and two artilleries. Meanwhile, the enemy has a few factories (you have none, and you can't capture any) and starts out with two War Tanks (this game's Neo Tank), a few B Copters, a rocket launcher, and a few other high-end units.

WTF.

Koren

nli10 said:
Please tell me there is at least some element of OCD in the game?!

Medals?
There is medals... But I don't find any achievement in the medals of AWDS. You just play everything for a long time, and unlock them. And some of the are stupid (how should I get D ranks, I nearly never go under A rank ?)

nli10

Koren said:
There is medals... But I don't find any achievement in the medals of AWDS. You just play everything for a long time, and unlock them. And some of the are stupid (how should I get D ranks, I nearly never go under A rank ?)

All of my C ranks have been from times where I wondered what would happen if I did crazy things like deliberately making the battle last over 100 turns, using the cash based CO power to make colin's infantry destroy big units by having insane amounts of cash, etc. Also letting younger players in on the action by playing alternate turns against the computer is a good way of getting terrible scores on maps!

I like the fact that the counters tell me what units I overly rely on and which I rarely use (although for the medals I have spammed missiles and other less used units to up the count).

Reading the 1up review makes me think even more that this is a primarily multiplayer title where as the other is predominantly solo play. As I mostly play DS in bed before I sleep then I think i'll be going back to the old game a lot...

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Just like to add that no war room has completely killed my enthusiasm for this game, I mean, WTF?

Hootie

JSnake said:
Chapter 15 is stupidly unfair. Okay, so you need to make sure your allied units get to the other side of the map. There's only two of them (an infantry and a recon). You have a medium tank (which you can't fucking move), a tank, two anti-airs, and two artilleries. Meanwhile, the enemy has a few factories (you have none, and you can't capture any) and starts out with two War Tanks (this game's Neo Tank), a few B Copters, a rocket launcher, and a few other high-end units.

WTF.

At least you'll know you've completed an epic accomplishment once you do it. :lol

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
NO HARD MODE???

For someone that's pretty serious about AW (me, and lots of others in this topic), Normal Campaign is a joke. It's just too easy.

It used to be PERFECT. Normal Campaign existed for all the more casual AW players, and Hard Mode was the "real" campaign for those of us serious about Advance Wars.

I'm over halfway through the campaign now, and haven't been close to being truly in danger of losing a mission - not even once.

Edit: JSnake, on that map, just ignore all the pursuing troops. It's actually one of the easier missions out of the last few. Just keep moving left, stay out of range of the artillery, and you should easily make it to the extraction point. I didn't even blow up the 2nd barrier and still made it. You just move left the whole time.

JSnake

GDJustin said:
NO HARD MODE???

For someone that's pretty serious about AW (me, and lots of others in this topic), Normal Campaign is a joke. It's just too easy.

It used to be PERFECT. Normal Campaign existed for all the more casual AW players, and Hard Mode was the "real" campaign for those of us serious about Advance Wars.

I'm over halfway through the campaign now, and haven't been close to being truly in danger of losing a mission - not even once.

tips for a nub pls :(

Flynn

PillowKnight said:
Heh, a lot of the charm of AW : DS is that you can play a turn and drop it. Not being able to stop whenever you feel like it is terrible, as comes with online play. Considering online play is only at home or with wifi, you end up with a pretty shitty trade off. I was looking forward to buying this so that I could take it with me on the road.

That's true. Map downloads might go a little way to filling the missing War Room void.

I fooled around with it last night. You make a 10x10 map then you have to beat it before you can upload it. Other players rate the map -- there's a top ten recommended maps. I could see myself grabbing ten maps then playing them on the road.

I'll upload the map I made today after I tweak it a little.

GDJustin

Also, the plot is seriously dark. More than one prominent character dies during the course of the campaign.

Edit: JSnake, if you didn't see it I gave you some advice up there.

Tiktaalik

GDJustin said:
NO HARD MODE???

Ouch...

Advance Wars just got non-game'd?

It needs a new name. Toy Soldiers Training?

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHH

Trying to hint at what I'm going to. I'm actually interested in this game...I'll have to try it first though...:)

I played the old game for a while and actually kinda liked it, the one on the GBA but I never bought it, this game might warrant a purchase from me though...if only I could try it first :D

~Scott

JSnake

Yeah, but the annoying thing is, I can't move the allied units. And the recon units near the end kill my infantry unit.

traveler

Not Wario
Wow, I do not want to play some of you online. :lol

I could never beat any of the games on normal and I never touched the War Rooms- I'm going to get destroyed in Wi-fi aren't I?

Still sucks that those are gone for the people that enjoyed them, though. I can't really see any reasoning behind it either. (Except for the Store removal- that seems like a fairly logical move.)

nli10

traveler said:

I could never beat any of the games on normal and I never touched the War Rooms- I'm going to get destroyed in Wi-fi aren't I?

Still sucks that those are gone for the people that enjoyed them, though. I can't really see any reasoning behind it either. (Except for the Store removal- that seems like a fairly logical move.)

Normal on the DS is easy for those trained on the original GBA hard modes :lol

Can't wait for the hardcore veterans verdict on this game now... :|

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
No hard mode?? :(

No war room?? :(

I hope there's going to be a lot of other unlockables. How else am I supposed to to satisfy my Advance Wars OCD obsessions? That was my favorite part.

Neo C.

no war room = no buy.

Sorry, I've played all the AW games, and war room is the main reason to play. I'm not really the campaign-type of gamer.

Mash

I'm sort of glad it's easier, I'm only a casual AW player and fog of war scares me, so I think this will be a better iteration for me.

Neo C. said:
no war room = no buy.

Sorry, I've played all the AW games, and war room is the main reason to play. I'm not really the campaign-type of gamer.

Same here. I did the campaigns in all the games before, but the meat of the package was in the war room. Playing online is fun and all, but I need to satiate my OCD desires to get an S-ranking in all the war room maps. I can't believe I didn't learn about this until today.

I won't be buying it for a good long while either, and that kind of depresses me. :(

Flynn

I think dismissing this game over the War Room is being a little short sighted. The ability to make and play your own maps (as well as download all the user made 10x10s) has the potential provide substantial value.

Tetsuo9

In the 1up review they said that survival mode, combat mode, the store and hard mode, etc, are lost, but they don't mention the war room. Maybe you can unlock it later? :(

[Nintex]

Flynn said:
I think dismissing this game over the War Room is being a little short sighted. The ability to make and play your own maps (as well as download all the user made 10x10s) has the potential provide substantial value.
The other games had a map builder and war room. :(

I havent seen it mentioned so far, but there seems to be only 12 COs in total, which is a major letdown considering AWDS had about 20. And I forgot to mention that they removed all the Black Hole units, no more Neotank or Black Boats.

So far, I am very disappointed with the game, it just seems like a downgrade from the previous one. The new units are cool, but thats about the only new addition that I like (havent been able to get an online game going yet). From what I can tell, they have also revamped how COs work too. I havent put many hours into it, but it seems to me that your units only get the bonus if theyre in the vicinity of the unit with the CO in it. Not too sure though, maybe someone knows better than I do. And does the campaign have to be so bleak?

I know I must sound overly negative, but AW was one of my favorite game franchises and it has been butchered. Hopefully someone gets the hint and just goes back to the old style for the game, it was perfect. I know Im jumping the gun here, but in AW terms, this game sucks.

Jiggy

ninj4junpei said:
WTF!! No hard mode!? You have got to be shitting me. I'm starting to lose faith in IntSys. ;_;
Unintelligent Systems. :(

Flynn said:
Individually I'd be fine with no War Room, or no hard campaign, or no optional tags, or no optional forces, or no Survival mode, or no shop that gives me OCD incentives to keep playing and earning points to buy stuff. I might even be fine with 2-3 of them, depending on which ones they were. (I rank War Room > hard campaign > tags > Survival > forces > shop.) But all of these put together? I don't think so. :(
Oh, hey. Yet another negative popped up as I was writing this post.

super funk said:
I havent seen it mentioned so far, but there seems to be only 12 COs in total, which is a major letdown considering AWDS had about 20.
AWDS had 27.
AW1, however, only had 12 COs. Of course, AW1 also had a hard mode and War Room.

Tiktaalik

super funk said:
I havent seen it mentioned so far, but there seems to be only 12 COs in total, which is a major letdown considering AWDS had about 20. And I forgot to mention that they removed all the Black Hole units, no more Neotank or Black Boats.

So far, I am very disappointed with the game, it just seems like a downgrade from the previous one. The new units are cool, but thats about the only new addition that I like (havent been able to get an online game going yet). From what I can tell, they have also revamped how COs work too. I havent put many hours into it, but it seems to me that your units only get the bonus if theyre in the vicinity of the unit with the CO in it. Not too sure though, maybe someone knows better than I do. And does the campaign have to be so bleak?

I know I must sound overly negative, but AW was one of my favorite game franchises and it has been butchered. Hopefully someone gets the hint and just goes back to the old style for the game, it was perfect. I know Im jumping the gun here, but in AW terms, this game sucks.

Ehh I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves here. If they had taken out those units and not provided anything else I'd be upset, but as it stands the units they've added are much more interesting and have the ability to more drastically change the gameplay of AW than the units added in any previous iteration of the series. The Neotank for example is a pretty boring addition since it's just a better tank.

COs as well I don't really mind about. 12 is a great deal. When you get to numbers over 20 I have trouble keeping track of their powers etc.

It sounds to me that removing some of the bloat will trim down the gameplay and make it a tighter experience.

One thing that they should do perhaps in the future is make a Advance Wars dream match game (a la King of Fighters) which contains all the units, COs and rules from AW1,2, DS and DR and which allows you to pick and choose what's allowed.

Jazzem

traveler said:

I'll let you know when I get the game in PAL land so we can play, I can't get past mission 13-odd on Normal in either AW or AW: DS :D

I still like the games though, hopefully I can improve my pitiful skills with this game :)

You guys are aware that with friend codes you can trade maps larger than 10x10? And there are sure to be sites with peoples posted maps allowing you to create them if you can't FC trade

SpokkX said:
wait so there is no "skirmish" mode against the AI on whatever map? only online or campaign?

Someone early mentioned that it does contain a mode like that:

Flynn said:
There's a mode in Single DS Play called "Free Battle"

"Chose your settings and wage war on one of over 100 maps."

Categories: Classic, Trial, 2p, 3p, 4p

It's been a while. How different is this from War Room? To me the only difference is that it seems like you don't have to buy them.

SpokkX said:
wait so there is no "skirmish" mode against the AI on whatever map? only online or campaign?

No, there is a versus mode, which is exactly what you described. There is not however, a War Room, which is similar except that it gave you a ranking at the end and thus you could continue to replay it until you were satisfied with your rank.

GDJustin

As a LOOONG time AW vet, my early (~8 hours in) feeling is that the actual strategic gameplay might be the best found in the franchise yet, and that's saying a LOT. The new units and gameplay tweaks don't just feel "tacked on" - they really do change the dynamic of the strategy and give the game more depth. It's obvious they actually playtested all their unit changes for strategy and balance.

-Infantry costing more and mechs & bikes costing less greatly reduces the "Inf. spam" technique.

-The entire sea game has been completely revamped and barely even resembles previous AW titles (in a good way). Sea battles are more than just Rock Paper Scissors now.

-The Md. Tank TRULY being a medium tank and the addition of the War Tank spices up the mid-match ramp-up quite a bit. Do you build a Md. Tank this turn, or a War Tank next turn?

-Fog of War is actually a lot more fun this time around thanks to the Radar buildings (iluminates five square when you cap one), the Flare unit, more terrain that provides cover, etc. I used to hate Fog of War, and in DoR I've found myself really liking it.

-CO's being ON the battlefield is a bigger addition than you might think - they turn the tide of a battle, but it's a risk vs. reward thing. Do you send your powerful CO unit into the fray, or do you hang him back a bit, but still close enough that nearby units get the area of influence boost? Another GREAT strategic addition.

-Lots of other little things like Landers getting a price drop, sea units passing under bridges, etc. It seems like IntSys took a close look at balance for the first time since AW1, and it really does make the strategy just "feel" better. It's fantastic.

~~~~~~~

BUT, all that being said, I think the *package* is probably the worst since AW1.

-No War Room
-No Hard Campaign
-No Battle Maps/unlockables
-No Survival Modes (they weren't great, but were still a nice change of pace)
-No tags/rankings, besides on the medals screen (which doesn't count)
-Less CO's (I know the CO's have been de-emphasized, which is a good thing and helps the game strategically, but they still could have had more of them with unique influences).

So at the end of the day, the strategy itself is the best found in the series to date, but the package is pretty gimped.

Make of that what you will.

GDJustin said:
Also, the plot is seriously dark. More than one prominent character dies during the course of the campaign.

Edit: JSnake, if you didn't see it I gave you some advice up there.
o_O My hype is slowly increasing again.

antun

All who complain without even trying the game are unintelligent.:D

I m waiting for mine and I think I ll have an excellent time playing it. If you don t like it you still have the older ones to play and many of you still have a lot of war room maps to complete, don t you?

Sorry for being an arse but I just got really tired of reading all the bashing of something most even hasn t tried yet.

antun said:
All who complain without even trying the game are unintelligent.:D

I m waiting for mine and I think I ll have an excellent time playing it. If you don t like it you still have the older ones to play and many of you still have a lot of war room maps to complete, don t you?

Sorry for being an arse but I just got really tired of reading all the bashing of something most even hasn t tried yet.

One wouldn't need to experience the game to know they're going to be disappointed with the omissions made in the game. That doesn't mean it won't be fun in its own right, but taking a feature (or several features) away kills my desire for the game.

And no, I don't have any war room maps left. I S'd them all in anticipation for this game. :(

Top Bottom