• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Advance Wars: Days of Ruin Thread of WiFi voice chat & childish name-calling

Are 10x10 maps all you can design now? It was something like 30x20 in AWDS.

Add me to the list of people grumbling about the lack of War Room. It was basically just a selection of ranked battles which could be recreated in VS mode anyway, but it still took up the most of my time. Challenge mode was a nice diversion too.

Koren

antun said:
I m waiting for mine and I think I ll have an excellent time playing it. If you don t like it you still have the older ones to play and many of you still have a lot of war room maps to complete, don t you?
Got S-300 on all maps, all difficulty levels. So no, I don't :(

GDJustin said:
It used to be PERFECT. Normal Campaign existed for all the more casual AW players, and Hard Mode was the "real" campaign for those of us serious about Advance Wars.
Except that in last AW, Hard mode was nearly a casual affair. No serious business (I got all S in my first try on all map but one)

I begin to find that "day of ruin" is the best possible subtitle :(

[Nintex]

Graphics Horse said:
Are 10x10 maps all you can design now? It was something like 30x20 in AWDS.

Add me to the list of people grumbling about the lack of War Room. It was basically just a selection of ranked battles which could be recreated in VS mode anyway, but it still took up the most of my time. Challenge mode was a nice diversion too.
No you can still make large maps but you can't upload them on the public Map Server. You can share them with your friends though.

Hootie

You people are taking this shit too far, as if the game is a total flop. The reviews are all pointing to a great game with a new, better, and upgraded combat system. And with the addition of online, it'll be excellent, adding many of the hours you'd lose without War Room.

And it's not like you can't go back to AWDS and play War Room on that anyway.

[Nintex] said:
No you can still make large maps but you can't upload them on the public Map Server. You can share them with your friends though.

Ughh...that kind of sucks too. I don't have many friends that play this game, and probably none that would make maps. Hell, I don't make maps myself either.

I better leave this thread before I sound like a troll.

You people are taking this shit too far, as if the game is a total flop. The reviews are all pointing to a great game with a new, better, and upgraded combat system. And with the addition of online, it'll be excellent, adding many of the hours you'd lose without War Room.

And it's not like you can't go back to AWDS and play War Room on that anyway.

This is a stupid defense. Hey, if you thought Spiderman III sucked, just go back and watch Spiderman II !

I want all the new features of ASDW2 without sacrificing the things I loved the most about its predecessor. Online is a cool feature, but it was still one I would use less than War Room. I like being able to start and stop my game anywhere, anytime. I would spend 2-3 nights on a single map. I can only imagine the loss in satisfaction I'll get when a 2 hour AW game gets messed up because of a disconnection, my battery dies, their battery dies, or my opponent gives up.

Dammit

Koren

Hootie said:
You people are taking this shit too far, as if the game is a total flop. The reviews are all pointing to a great game with a new, better, and upgraded combat system.
Imagine a fighting game with improved combos and all you can dream, but just two characters, and only a story mode, without versus mode.

For fans of the game, that's very close to this. It may be a decent game, with a wonderful system, but it'll be finished in ten hours and hold very little replay value. I can't see myself playing 400h on a game without War room or hard campaign. Even with online (beside this, I'm not overly confident on online game on AW from the beginning, unlimited ressources is a problem for this).

So it's not a flop at all for most players, but it may be a flop for fans. I think it will be for me. Oh, I'll probably enjoy the campaign while it last, but after that ? There's no challenge...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
For the people whining about the single player modes being taken out:

I'm pretty sure they would ratner you play against people online for a real challenge. Surely you'd rather plat against someone who has beaten hard mode than actually playing hard mode, right?

nli10

Forgotten Ancient said:
I want all the new features of ASDW2 ...

Hopefully each new portable Nintendo System will have two games. One cheesy Japanese one full of tasks and modes and options like the one we all own, and one with 'Mature' graphics and a multiplayer focus and such.

Anyone else feeling that this is less 'Advance Wars' and more 'from the creators of advance wars'?

And i'm not bashing the game without playing, i know that whaever they give me I will play and finish and enjoy. I'm just not sure that it is the upgrade to AW:DS which most people expected, more of a parallel game. And thats a very good thing to have.

sp0rsk said:

I'm pretty sure they would ratner you play against people online for a real challenge. Surely you'd rather plat against someone who has beaten hard mode than actually playing hard mode, right?

If it has a play by email style system, like Field Commander did two years ago, which let you play multiple online battles at once, with days between turns if necessary, then yes.
But it doesn't sound like it does.

[Nintex] said:

I see, thanks!

sp0rsk said:

Depends. The times I played against friends, the battles would take hours and hours of time. We were able to split that across a few days and could casually pass the game back and forth when we felt like making a move. If we wanted to stop for awhile it was no big deal.

I also liked playing the war rooms when I was out of town and didn't have an internet connection. Nothing killed idle time better than War Room and few things were able to tuck me into bed so sweetly as the war room.

Going back and refining a strategy against the CPU across different COs and replaying to get the best score possible was THE reason I stuck with the game for so long. The campaign was merely an introduction to the newer COs and I don't think I'll be playing online too much either.

You don't have to get rid of one to have the other. I would've been happy enough if they didn't even add any new war room maps but gave me the ability to try out the new units, COs, and system on the old ones.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
sp0rsk said:

I would have preferred having both, especially since there will be people who drop out in online games, and I can't stop a battle mid game and return to it later.

We don't have to have online or War Room/Hard mode, we could've had it all. Hell, I wouldn't have cared if War Room had the exact same levels and nothing more as AWDS has.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The gameplay tweaks sound so good, but I don't think I'm going to bother since they've cut the War Room. Online play isn't a replacement for that. :(

Ecto311

So it comes out 22nd or ships that day?

Why is it so confusing when this happens? Some games are shipped Monday and some Tuesday?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If they truly needed to axe war room and hard campaign to make time for online multiplayer and gameplay testing/tweaking then that's fine. However, is it really all that hard and time consuming for the devs to implement war room? Even if they just reused all the old war room maps?

apujanata

Forgotten Ancient said:
You don't have to get rid of one to have the other. I would've been happy enough if they didn't even add any new war room maps but gave me the ability to try out the new units, COs, and system on the old ones.

Since they tweak the gameplay in Days of Ruins (bike unit, increased price of infantry, CO power change), they couldn't just use the old war room, since the available unit, CO characteristic and actual map are all interconnected. With increased infantry price, maps that need infantry deployment and Sammy skill to ace (got S Rank and 300 point), might suddenly became impossible. IS need to define new S-Rank criteria.

I think IS was hard pressed to release AW in February 2008, and we might see improved version (with War Room and more robust internet capability) somewhere in 2009. IS has been making so many game in the last 2 years, I was very surprised they still have time for FE on DS.

For me, since I don't play war room extensively, it is not missed. I do miss hard mode campaign.

I wonder, is there any chance of IS just releasing an Adwance Wars plus, sort of like MGS: Portable Ops Plus? What I mean by that is just have a War Room focused game with some other stuff that they couldn't fit in DoR. Certainly if a smaller publisher like Konami can, Nintendo could too.

apujanata said:
I think IS was hard pressed to release AW in February 2008, and we might see improved version (with War Room and more robust internet capability) somewhere in 2009. IS has been making so many game in the last 2 years, I was very surprised they still have time for FE on DS.

On the 1up show the guy did hint at another sequel.

Jiggy

apujanata said:
Since they tweak the gameplay in Days of Ruins (bike unit, increased price of infantry, CO power change), they couldn't just use the old war room, since the available unit, CO characteristic and actual map are all interconnected.
I don't see why not. AW2 reused the AW1 WR maps even though there were new COs and the Super CO Power mechanic, and AWDS reused the AW1 and AW2 WR maps even though there were even more new COs and now the Tag mechanic and forces.

Cobra84

Jiggy37 said:
I don't see why not. AW2 reused the AW1 WR maps even though there were new COs and the Super CO Power mechanic, and AWDS reused the AW1 and AW2 WR maps even though there were even more new COs and now the Tag mechanic and forces.

Hell, a few of the WR maps are from the original Famicom Wars and it didn't even have COs or CO powers.

Edit: I was wrong they aren't in the WR, but my point still stands that the original maps still work despite the gameplay changes.

DjangoReinhardt said:
The gameplay tweaks sound so good, but I don't think I'm going to bother since they've cut the War Room. Online play isn't a replacement for that. :(

This is exactly how I feel about the game. Everything that was added to the gameplay is very well done, but it doesnt matter how good the game is when there is not that much content. And like you said, playing another player is different from playing in the War Room, so that is why it would have been nicer to have them both.

Insaniac

super funk said:
This is exactly how I feel about the game. Everything that was added to the gameplay is very well done, but it doesnt matter how good the game is when there is not that much content. And like you said, playing another player is different from playing in the War Room, so that is why it would have been nicer to have them both.

Wow, now people want offline play instead of ONLINE ugh.

Tiktaalik

jamesinclair said:
Nintendo games take forever to get cheaper :(

Yeah really, good luck. What's more likely is that you won't buy it in the first month or two and then you'll never see the game again. Advance Wars doesn't ship as many as Mario or Pokemon.

Banned
Visualante said:
Great call to make the game's art like this- it's going to be my first Advance Wars just because the old hyper kiddy art turned me off.

You silly, silly, petty human!

Spruchy

Lawl I was playing against a guy name SAKURAIIIII and all he did was mass war tanks. Whoops thanks for letting me get all the cities and anti tank ftw. Disconnected in the end but it gives you a win so all is well.

PS: This game rules.

Jirotrom

A Link to the Snitch said:
We don't have to have online or War Room/Hard mode, we could've had it all. Hell, I wouldn't have cared if War Room had the exact same levels and nothing more as AWDS has.
but you want 70 levels in smash... your standards are weird:p

Proven

GDJustin said:
As a LOOONG time AW vet, my early (~8 hours in) feeling is that the actual strategic gameplay might be the best found in the franchise yet, and that's saying a LOT. The new units and gameplay tweaks don't just feel "tacked on" - they really do change the dynamic of the strategy and give the game more depth. It's obvious they actually playtested all their unit changes for strategy and balance.

-Infantry costing more and mechs & bikes costing less greatly reduces the "Inf. spam" technique.

-The entire sea game has been completely revamped and barely even resembles previous AW titles (in a good way). Sea battles are more than just Rock Paper Scissors now.

-The Md. Tank TRULY being a medium tank and the addition of the War Tank spices up the mid-match ramp-up quite a bit. Do you build a Md. Tank this turn, or a War Tank next turn?

-Fog of War is actually a lot more fun this time around thanks to the Radar buildings (iluminates five square when you cap one), the Flare unit, more terrain that provides cover, etc. I used to hate Fog of War, and in DoR I've found myself really liking it.

-CO's being ON the battlefield is a bigger addition than you might think - they turn the tide of a battle, but it's a risk vs. reward thing. Do you send your powerful CO unit into the fray, or do you hang him back a bit, but still close enough that nearby units get the area of influence boost? Another GREAT strategic addition.

-Lots of other little things like Landers getting a price drop, sea units passing under bridges, etc. It seems like IntSys took a close look at balance for the first time since AW1, and it really does make the strategy just "feel" better. It's fantastic.

~~~~~~~

BUT, all that being said, I think the *package* is probably the worst since AW1.

-No War Room
-No Hard Campaign
-No Battle Maps/unlockables
-No Survival Modes (they weren't great, but were still a nice change of pace)
-No tags/rankings, besides on the medals screen (which doesn't count)
-Less CO's (I know the CO's have been de-emphasized, which is a good thing and helps the game strategically, but they still could have had more of them with unique influences).

So at the end of the day, the strategy itself is the best found in the series to date, but the package is pretty gimped.

Make of that what you will.

Read the last two pages, and this is what I most agree with.

Got the game from the Nin-World launch event today (finally won a lottery from there, jeez) and the game seems a step harder, and there are at least 10 new units out and about now. They completely changed the balance of the game, much more so than any other Advance Wars beforehand.

There is a War Room type mode, however. In the Campaign you find "Trial Missions" which are there for no other reason than to just play as a test of skill. You get ranked at the end as usual and they are a lot harder than whatever campaign mission you are up to when you find the Trial Mission. Some of them are unlocked after beating a certain Campaign map, and others are unlocked after beating a different Trial Mission.

Without an actual War Room, you still have the Versus maps. Unlike with the War Room, you have no incentive to play them, but you can still go in there and do whatever you want. You get many of the old Classic maps (many of which being War Room maps), some new maps, and any Trial Mission Maps you've unlocked, whether or not you've played them yet.

So the game focuses more on just playing for the sake of playing, rather than playing for points to buy stuff. Trial Missions are new War Room style maps, Versus Mode and Design Room are well suited for wasting the day away, and in general the game is moving away from lots of unlockables and more make your own content.

I somewhat prefer it this way though. If the only thing that kept you playing was OCD towards the Shop Room, then don't buy this. If you liked the game for anything else, including playing in the War Room, I'd say you'll still love it, but you'll just have to play Versus Mode more often and set up challenges for yourself.

Anyway, who's going to start up the Online Battle and Map Swap thread for this game, or is it already up?

Edit: Also, there appears to be some sort of dog tag description you get under your name in the Wifi screens. I need to investigate it further, but it may already be answered in a review.

Flynn

666 said:
You silly, silly, petty human!

We've graduated from "hyper-kiddy" to "hey isn't it cool they killed that guy!" (Which I got over when I was around 12 watching Robotech). At this rate I'll be 75 by the time gamers really grow up.

Man, talk about total deflation. I keep seeing that terrible ad and it's so tempting to go just splurge, but it seems they took out the polish that made AW what it is.

gimz

Spruchy said:
Lawl I was playing against a guy name SAKURAIIIII and all he did was mass war tanks. Whoops thanks for letting me get all the cities and anti tank ftw. Disconnected in the end but it gives you a win so all is well.

PS: This game rules.
eee how could you get the game already? or you get the preview copy early?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Silly question, but are we sure there is no "War Room" unlocked after completing the campaign, or a special mode, or...?

Proven said:
There is a War Room type mode, however. In the Campaign you find "Trial Missions" which are there for no other reason than to just play as a test of skill. You get ranked at the end as usual and they are a lot harder than whatever campaign mission you are up to when you find the Trial Mission. Some of them are unlocked after beating a certain Campaign map, and others are unlocked after beating a different Trial Mission.

Without an actual War Room, you still have the Versus maps. Unlike with the War Room, you have no incentive to play them, but you can still go in there and do whatever you want. You get many of the old Classic maps (many of which being War Room maps), some new maps, and any Trial Mission Maps you've unlocked, whether or not you've played them yet.

How many Trial Missions are there?
Ranks/scores are not saved? What other differences between TM and the WR?

P.S. Your post is starting to steer me towards buying it this week.

Mohonky

gimz said:
oh no, my friends in Hong Kong got the game already x)
damn

Really? Hopefully my copy is on it's way from Playasia soon. Knowing Nintendo AUS it'll be months before this game shows up.

Koren

sp0rsk said:

Actually, no. As I said before, I think that VS mode doesn't work in Advance Wars. They could have changed it in the new one, but I doubt it.

The main reason is that with unlimited supplies, there's no reason for one people with comparable skills to take an advantage, and battle will last dozen of turns. I don't like this kind of battle at all, because they are not interesting : that's mostly micromanagment of units, and very little strategy here.

So in previous iterations of AW at least, I prefer IA over Human (and non-symmetric maps). I'd gladly welcome map and mission sharing, though. I could like VS games should some rules change (for example, fixed amount of money, or funds in cities that only last for 10 turns). But I don't think it's the case.

Besides this, I don't see while you can't have both (if the game has been rushed, that's a reason, not an excuse).

Top Bottom