• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

careksims

Yeah I don't get the hate either for R.O.B. and I have a real-still-working R.O.B.! There, there, ROB! You'll get a lot of playtime soon.

Iam Canadian said:
I don't get the R.O.B hate. He's as much of a tribute to classic Nintendo as Mr. Game and Watch is.

I just don't like him. He bothered me in MKDS (Perhaps because his Kart is too good), and he bothers me here. Doesn't mean, I don't look forward to unlocking him or playing as him, I'd just rather see someone else in his spot. But, if we are talking classic nintendo icons, I wouldn't know who else to put in.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I dont get why loads of people hate R.O.B either. I wasnt really bothered about him being in the game. It sounds like he turned out to be a decent character to use, so it looks as though its a good decision to put him in.

jman2050

The NES probably doesn't exist without ROB, so I think it's perfectly fine of them to acknowledge its place in their history.

Teasel

Iam Canadian said:
I don't get the R.O.B hate. He's as much of a tribute to classic Nintendo as Mr. Game and Watch is.
i don't hate R.O.B but wouldn't R.O.B character space would be better used for a character that you actualy know and like and that had more personality? he's like you love all walt disney character and instead of getting timon and pumba you randomly get one of the broom from fantasia

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Firestorm said:
ROB is a crappy accessory that Nintendo needs to let die, but as a Smash character he is pretty amazing.

The R.O.B was the most brilliant infiltration device since the Trojan Horse.

Its actual quality is irrelevant.

HK-47 said:
lol at comparing ROB to Game & Watch

Why lol? It's a perfectly valid comparison. The only difference is that the R.O.B wasn't as high quality a product as the Game and Watch. It still has as much relevance to Nintendo history as the G&W did.

Granted, I do like Mr. G&W better, but that's a subjective thing.

Iam Canadian said:
The R.O.B was the most brilliant infiltration device since the Trojan Horse.

Its actual quality is irrelevant.

Why lol? It's a perfectly valid comparison. The only difference is that the R.O.B wasn't as high quality a product as the Game and Watch. It still has as much relevance to Nintendo history as the G&W did.

Granted, I do like Mr. G&W better, but that's a subjective thing.

Ok, I'm now going to be disappointed when I play this game and ROB's final smash isn't several small Greek men climb out, open a door, and allow other small greek men into the map to hack at your ankles.

Firestorm

Teasel said:
i don't hate R.O.B but wouldn't R.O.B character space would be better used for a character that you actualy know and like and that had more personality? he's like you love all walt disney character and instead of getting timon and pumba you randomly get one of the broom from fantasia

I don't like ROB in relation to Nintendo but I disagree that his character space could easily be better used. He's by far one of the most unique characters in the game. His play-style is very interesting. I look at a character more for what they can add to the game than how important they are to Nintendo.

Scribble

Teasel said:

:lol

Iam Canadian

HK-47 said:
Star of games that sold millions versus accessory? I think the difference is obvious

To be fair, Mr. Game and Watch didn't become a singular character until they made him one in Melee.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
To be fair, Mr. Game and Watch didn't become a singular character until they made him one in Melee.

Not true, he was called Hideo originally before SSBM give him an official name. Don't discount the importance of Game & Watch to the industry

Iam Canadian

HK-47 said:
Not true, he was called Hideo originally before SSBM give him an official name. Don't discount the importance of Game & Watch to the industry

I'm not discounting the importance of the Game and Watch at all. I just didn't think that the character of Mr. Game and Watch was a singular entity until Melee.

I know that the technological limitations of the Game and Watch made every character in the G&W games look like Mr. G&W. I just didn't know that Mr. G&W as a character existed then.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
I'm not discounting the importance of the Game and Watch at all. I just didn't think that the character of Mr. Game and Watch was a singular entity until Melee.

I know that the technological limitations of the Game and Watch made every character in the G&W games look like Mr. G&W. I just didn't know that Mr. G&W as a character existed then.

He's not even a singular enitity in Melee or Brawl...multiple G&Ws appear in SSE and even two Fire G&Ws help Smash G&W recover in Melee. He's the entire series conscend into playable form.

There are very, very few Nintendo characters more appropriate in a Nintendo all-star fighter than G&W. Without Yokoi and G&W, Nintendo might not even make video games.

Iam Canadian

I clearly misunderstood what you said, then. I thought you were saying that Mr. Game and Watch was a single character before Melee came out. >_>

But the only point I was trying to make was that the R.O.B, ridiculous though it may seem in retrospect, was very critical to Nintendo's success. Without it, the NES may have never gotten onto store shelves.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
I clearly misunderstood what you said, then. I thought you were saying that Mr. Game and Watch was a single character before Melee came out. >_>

But the only point I was trying to make was that the R.O.B, ridiculous though it may seem in retrospect, was very critical to Nintendo's success. Without it, the NES may have never gotten onto store shelves.

The entity had the name Hideo and now its Mr. Game and Watch. Game & Watch is really an avatar at heart, but there is a Mr. Game & Watch now. He appears in G&W 4. So its like a 2 in 1 kinda deal. He's more than a representative but less then a nameless collective. Best surprise addition ever. The genius of Sakurai I guess.

I'm a big Gunpei Yokoi supporter. He created ROB too so him and G&W are best of friends I'm sure

Kletian

Iam Canadian said:

I keep hearing this but seemed to have missed the history lesson. I had an NES and Mario, not once did I ever have the urge to buy a R.O.B. acessory. I saw him once at a friends house and he was borked up something fierce.

How exactly was R.O.B. integral in selling systems?

Kletian said:
I keep hearing this but seemed to have missed the history lesson. I had an NES and Mario, not once did I ever have the urge to buy a R.O.B. acessory. I saw him once at a friends house and he was borked up something fierce.

After the crash post-Atari, retailers were reluctant to stock "video game" systems anymore. They were of the opinion that they were a flash in the pan and the fad was over. R.O.B. and the Zapper let Nintendo pitch the NES as more than a "video game" system (hence the name "Nintendo Entertainment System"), which in turn convinced retailers to actually stock the damn thing.

R.O.B. was integral in selling systems to retailers, not to consumers. If you don't sell to the former, you can't sell to the latter.

Iam Canadian

HK-47 said:
I'm a big Gunpei Yokoi supporter. He created ROB too so him and G&W are best of friends I'm sure

Yokoi was awesome. He created some brilliant stuff.

It's a shame that a lot of people just remember him for the Virtual Boy, though. Though I'll defend Yokoi and say that the Virtual Boy was a brilliant concept, it was too far ahead of its time and was executed in a spectacularly poor fashion.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kletian said:

Nintendo wanted to get into the video games industry but couldnt because stores wouldnt stock video games. The reason? The video game crash brought on by Atari and the mountain of shovelware being put out for it. There were unsold piles of games clogging stores so retailers dare not stock any new ones for fear of getting burned

So Nintendo needed a Trojan Horse to get the system on the market. The answer was ROB, created by Gunpei Yokoi. They packaged the NES with ROB and some games and sold in as the "Deluxe Pack." Retailers thought that ROB was the focus and the deluxe pack was just a toy. So Nintendo was able to get the NES into stores where it normally wouldnt have been sold in. They sold over a million units in the first year, job well done. Rest is history

Thats why ROB is important

Vinci

Danish
Kletian said:

Many retailers wouldn't touch videogames after Atari bit it, so Nintendo packaged the NES with R.O.B. to get retailers to carry the system in stores since it was seen as a 'robot friend' or something like that.

EDIT: Beat'd hard. I hate you all.

Iam Canadian

Firestorm said:
I remember him for Game Boy and Metroid.

So do I, but his career (not to mention his life) going out with the Virtual Boy has tarnished his legacy in the eyes of some.

Not all, but some.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
Yokoi was awesome. He created some brilliant stuff.

It's a shame that a lot of people just remember him for the Virtual Boy, though. Though I'll defend Yokoi and say that the Virtual Boy was a brilliant concept, it was too far ahead of its time and was executed in a spectacularly poor fashion.

The weird thing is that the system goes against his design philosophy big time. Poor battery life, unwieldy, uncomfortable, expensive. There was clearly someone else pushing the system out. I dont think people would have picked up on it anyway since VR has never become big even now with the tech to do it, though that may be because of the stigma on the tech after the VB.

Vinci

Danish
Iam Canadian said:
It's a shame that a lot of people just remember him for the Virtual Boy, though.

Only godless heathens remember him for the Virtual Boy alone. Hell, referring to him as 'the Virtual Boy guy' should get someone their ass kicked.

Iam Canadian said:
I only "hate" him (hate is a strong word) because he's already been used in Mario Kart DS. Would've rather had that ninja from one of their Japanese games (I don't remember the names).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dude created Game & Watch, Game Boy, Wonderswan, Game Boy Pocket, ROB, and a bunch of really successful children's toys.

He directed Metroid, Metroid II, Dr. Mario, Super Mario Land, Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus.

He helped create Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Jr, Super Mario Bros, Panel de Pon, Battle Clash, and Fire Emblem 2-4.

He also hired the guy who ended up designing the NES and SNES and co-developed with him the predecessor to the NES Zapper

HK-47 said:
Nintendo wanted to get into the video games industry but couldnt because stores wouldnt stock video games. The reason? The video game crash brought on by Atari and the mountain of shovelware being put out for it. There were unsold piles of games clogging stores so retailers dare not stock any new ones for fear of getting burned

So Nintendo needed a Trojan Horse to get the system on the market. The answer was ROB, created by Gunpei Yokoi. They packaged the NES with ROB and some games and sold in as the "Deluxe Pack." Retailers thought that ROB was the focus and the deluxe pack was just a toy. So Nintendo was able to get the NES into stores where it normally wouldnt have been sold in. They sold over a million units in the first years, job well done. Rest is history

Thats why ROB is important

Ah. Well then. You know everything I said about ROB? I appologize, and I shall never speak ill of him ever again.

Vinci

Danish
One thing to love about GAF: You can enter a thread about a Nintendo game in which its famous characters beat one another senseless and unwittingly become a participant in someone reflecting on the grotesque nightmare that is ladies fashion.

Bravo.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Vinci said:
One thing to love about GAF: You can enter a thread about a Nintendo game in which its famous characters beat one another senseless and unwittingly become a participant in someone reflecting on the grotesque nightmare that is ladies fashion.

Bravo.

lol wrong thread?

Jiggy can keep his fashion woes in the Dojo topic. We are reflecting on the awesome that was Gunpei Yokoi now

Vinci

Danish
HK-47 said:
lol wrong thread?

Holy shit, is it? Sorry about that. I typically only pay attention to this one, so I got a bit turned around.

Jiggy can keep his fashion woes in the Dojo topic. We are reflecting on the awesome that was Gunpei Yokoi now.

And AWESOME HE WAS!

Who?

I kid.

Rotanibor

Gunpei did R.O.B. As well? Wow, there is sure a lot of his stuff in smash. They should have switched roster list and moved Ice Climbers' spot with Mr. Game and Watch, and then that whole vertical row could have been then Gunpei Yokoi row.

Jiggy

I still haven't narrowed farther than my top 62 songs. D: I'm tempted to kick out Go K.K. Rider because of the "singing," but the string solo following it is so amazing that I don't have the heart.

If I cut out songs that are either in their original form or were in Melee, I'd be out over ten songs (maybe more or less; I'm not sure about the four WarioWare songs still hanging in there, or Sonic Boom or Calling to the Night, but I assumed the WW songs were redone and the other two weren't), but I'm not doing that! I will persevere.

Rotanibor

Jiggy37 said:
I still haven't narrowed farther than my top 62 songs. D: I'm tempted to kick out Go K.K. Rider because of the "singing," but the string solo following it is so amazing that I don't have the heart.

If I cut out songs that are either in their original form or were in Melee, I'd be out over ten songs (maybe more or less; I'm not sure about the four WarioWare songs still hanging in there, or Sonic Boom or Calling to the Night, but I assumed the WW songs were redone and the other two weren't), but I'm not doing that! I will persevere.

The Wind Waker songs are all in their original form. So are Sonic Boom and Calling too the night. Although Sonic Boom is cut a bit differently to make it loop and all that good stuff.

You should just split it into two groups. One of songs in their original form, and one of new songs and remixes. That will lighten the load. With the amount of trouble you seem to be having over this I'm worried its going to end up being the death of you, Jiggy.

Jiggy

Rotanibor Eht said:
The Wind Waker songs are all in their original form. So are Sonic Boom and Calling too the night. Although Sonic Boom is cut a bit differently to make it loop and all that good stuff.
By WW I meant WarioWare. >_>

You should just split it into two groups. One of songs in their original form, and one of new songs and remixes. That will lighten the load. With the amount of trouble you seem to be having over this I'm worried its going to end up being the death of you, Jiggy.
Well, it's not like I've got anything better to do for the next 32 days. Sadly. :(

CrisKre

I just wanted to say HOLY FREAKING SHIT at the OST.

NOTHING will EVER top this soundtrack (unless Sakurai decides to make another SSB).

The fire emblem theme is giving me goosebumps. This sountrack alone is worth the price of admision, this game will give orange box value a run for its money. =/

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Teasel said:
he's like you love all walt disney character and instead of getting timon and pumba you randomly get one of the broom from fantasia

Er... do you see the irony in that statement?

MMaRsu

Banned
I gotta say Sheiks punch in mid air is nerfed for sure, or at least powered down or however you want to call it..

And umm we did a match with fox vs fox no items on final destination a friend of mine will upload it on youtube :lol

watership

Anyone see this yet?

SSH1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom