• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brandon Sanderson is amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

studyguy

Words of Radiance soon... so hyped.
Just came off of Memory of Light a while back on audiobook form, had an interview with Sanderson at the tail end of it that made it sound like he was basically every fan ever of that series going into it.

Hyped... just a few more months.
Also burned Steelheart, it was a fun book. Not the most amazing thing I've ever read, but I enjoy the odd magic/power systems Sanderson always cooks up, so whatev.

X-Frame

I just finished the first Mistborn books and am on Alloy of Law.

I feel like I want to push the Way of Kings to as close to Words of Radiance as possible, maybe even after it is out so I can easily go back to back.

Lirlond

Read the rest of the Cosmere books. Thats what im doing. Really enjoyed alloy of law. Warbreaker is good so far. How are eladriel and emperors soul?

Nymerio

Read the rest of the Cosmere books. Thats what im doing. Really enjoyed alloy of law. Warbreaker is good so far. How are eladriel and emperors soul?

Elantris? I enjoyed it, though you can kinda tell that it's his first book. Emperor's Soul is great, but it's really short.

DieH@rd

Banned
We are less than 2 months away!

SHALLAN_2560x1600.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
We are less than 2 months away!

http://www.tor.com/images/stories/wallpaper/WordsofRadiance-Shallan/SHALLAN_2560x1600.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I presume that is not a cover art.

And is that insect thing a mantis shrimp? Or something inspired by one anyway.

GRW810

Been debating whether to check out his books for a while now, they look like my sort of thing. I will eventually. Where should I start?

Been debating whether to check out his books for a while now, they look like my sort of thing. I will eventually. Where should I start?
I wouldn't start with Elantris, it's his worst book and his writing has come a long war from then. I'd go with Mistborn or Warbreaker.

Lirlond

Hope the UK get to keep the White and "ghostly" images that his previous books have used. I hate when covers don't match.

Don't start on Elantris, Mistborn and Warbreaker are much better.

sirap

I wouldn't start with Elantris, it's his worst book and his writing has come a long war from then. I'd go with Mistborn or Warbreaker.

Eh, it's a little rough around the edges..but Elantris provides a good insight into Sanderson's writing style while still being relatively short. The reason I recommend it to first time readers is that it's hard to go backwards with Sanderson, and once you've fallen in love with his work you're almost guaranteed left wanting for more :p

Eh, it's a little rough around the edges..but Elantris provides a good insight into Sanderson's writing style while still being relatively short. The reason I recommend it to first time readers is that it's hard to go backwards with Sanderson, and once you've fallen in love with his work you're almost guaranteed left wanting for more :p

I read Elantris later on, and if it had been my first Sanderson book, I'm not sure I would have kept reading his stuff. I think it'd be better to start with one of his better works.

I'm halfway through the first Mistborn book right now. It's not great. I made the mistake of buying books 1-3 at the same time so I've got two more of these staring at me.

I'm a fast reader but I can't stand to read this for more than 45 minutes at a time. It's not terrible, and sometimes I'm enjoying it. It's hard to say what I don't like but it's definitely not pulling me in.

Also read about half of The Way of Kings a couple years ago before giving up, for the same reasons I'm not digging Mistborn. I do plan to give that one another chance, though. I don't know what it is, I've definitely given Sanderson enough of a chance at this point. I just feel like his writing is second-tier compared to some of the other fantasy giants.

Woorloog

Banned
I just feel like his writing is second-tier compared to some of the other fantasy giants.

Name some you do like, please. I'm curious, for Sanderon's writing, style, ideas are very much what i like in general (for comparison, i do not like Tolkien (aside from his worldbuilding) or... Hmm. Figuring out who is a bigger name is not easy.. Glen Cook?* EDIT Joe Abercombie, didn't like The First Law trilogy really).

*I don't have many fantasy books i do not like. And those i don't, are not big names

Mumei

I just feel like his writing is second-tier compared to some of the other fantasy giants.

Well, yeah. I think Sanderson has great plotting; he does a great job of setting up dominos and then knocking them down. He has characters who probably have more personality than depth, but are still generally fun and likable. But his prose itself is middling, and some story of his story conventions become repetitive as he reuses the formulas across different books. And yes, his prose is sort of middling - he's no Wolfe, Le Guin, Simmons, or Beagle, for instance.

On balance, I really like his books. I'm generally pretty good at adjusting my expectations based on what I'm reading, though.

Name some you do like, please. I'm curious, for Sanderon's writing, style, ideas are very much what i like in general (for comparison, i do not like Tolkien (aside from his worldbuilding) or... Hmm. Figuring out who is a bigger name is not easy.. Glen Cook?* EDIT Joe Abercombie, didn't like The First Law trilogy really).

*I don't have many fantasy books i do not like. And those i don't, are not big names

Hate to name some so obvious but GRRM is one. I'm also very partial to Patrick Rothfuss, though his output is pretty limited so far. But I'd put him way above Sanderson. I also think Scott Lynch is way above Sanderson. So those three are what are "first-tier" for me.

Since I kind of lump fantasy and sci-fi together, I'd name Dan Simmons as another writer who puts someone like Sanderson to shame.

These are all just opinions. I really am trying to get into Mistborn but it just feels amateurish.

Woorloog

Banned
Well, yeah. I think Sanderson has great plotting; he does a great job of setting up dominos and then knocking them down. He has characters who probably have more personality than depth, but are still generally fun and likable. But his prose itself is middling, and some story of his story conventions become repetitive as he reuses the formulas across different books. And yes, his prose is sort of middling - he's no Wolfe, Le Guin, Simmons, or Beagle, for instance.

On balance, I really like his books. I'm generally pretty good at adjusting my expectations based on what I'm reading, though.

What is "middling" prose? This is something i've never understood.
I know prose can be simple or flowery but neither is automatically a bad thing. Beige and purple prose, right?
EDIT The only thing i know that is not good nowadays is use of said-bookisms. Goddamn annoying too.

Woorloog

Banned
Hate to name some so obvious but GRRM obviously. I'm also very partial to Patrick Rothfuss, though his output is pretty limited so far. But I'd put him way above Sanderson. I also think Scott Lynch is way above Sanderson. So those three are what are "first-tier" for me.

Since I kind of lump fantasy and sci-fi together, I'd name Dan Simmons as another writer who puts someone like Sanderson to shame.

These are all just opinions. I really am trying to get into Mistborn but it just feels amateurish.

Me, i love GRRM's writing. I like the "extra" detail and stuff, makes the book feel living.
Rothfuss... eh, the only issues (in The Name of Wind) i can think of are somewhat boring worldbuilding and that goddamn mary sue protagonist. Never bothered to read the second part of that trilogy.
Don't know Scott Lynch. Guess i'll google him.

Mumei

I know prose can be simple or flowery but neither is automatically a bad thing. Beige and purple prose, right?

"Average"
"Not great, but not terrible"

If you want me to explain what I mean by that, well... I don't feel confident enough in my ability to write about writing to attempt to articulate an objective justification for the opinion. I would point to the authors I mentioned as examples of prose in science fiction and fantasy that I do really appreciate, though.

Mike M

Nick N
Currently reading The Way of Kings, and I'm finding it pretty... Eh... I don't hate it or anything, but it seems that so much of the world building just consists of depictions of marine life living on land. That was the focus of my major in college, so while descriptions of plants looking and acting like coral may seem exotic, it's just familiar stuff to me. That leaves the truly original stuff like spren kinda underwhelming, and the physical descriptions of the various races just seem outright stupid in most instances (particularly the one where everyone grows their eyebrows out. There's no way to sell that where it doesn't abjectly ridiculous).

There's enough mystery with WTF is going on between the one and two-thirds lead characters to maintain my interest, thankfully enough.

Kaliden
is presumably the reincarnation of the Herald/Radiant that fell during the prologue and was abandoned. I was kind of thinking it may have been Dhalinar, but then Kaliden started sucking the light from spheres and stuff.

Shallan
just soulcasted for the first time. The weird creatures she only sees when sketching is by far the most intriguing thing in the book so far, I'm eager to find out what's up with that.

Dhalinar
is boring boring boring. He's gotten a few good action set pieces, but otherwise it's nothing but handwringing over the visions and following the code. Hopefully his plot thread picks up soon, I kinda see the trailhead to where he and Kaliden eventually intersect now that Kaliden is having visions during highstorms and ran into Dhalinar's son.

tauroxd

Currently reading The Way of Kings, and I'm finding it pretty... Eh... I don't hate it or anything, but it seems that so much of the world building just consists of depictions of marine life living on land. That was the focus of my major in college, so while descriptions of plants looking and acting like coral may seem exotic, it's just familiar stuff to me. That leaves the truly original stuff like spren kinda underwhelming, and the physical descriptions of the various races just seem outright stupid in most instances (particularly the one where everyone grows their eyebrows out. There's no way to sell that where it doesn't abjectly ridiculous).

There's enough mystery with WTF is going on between the one and two-thirds lead characters to maintain my interest, thankfully enough.

Kaliden
is presumably the reincarnation of the Herald/Radiant that fell during the prologue and was abandoned. I was kind of thinking it may have been Dhalinar, but then Kaliden started sucking the light from spheres and stuff.

Shallan
just soulcasted for the first time. The weird creatures she only sees when sketching is by far the most intriguing thing in the book so far, I'm eager to find out what's up with that.

Dhalinar
is boring boring boring. He's gotten a few good action set pieces, but otherwise it's nothing but handwringing over the visions and following the code. Hopefully his plot thread picks up soon, I kinda see the trailhead to where he and Kaliden eventually intersect now that Kaliden is having visions during highstorms and ran into Dhalinar's son.

Keep reading, you will get some of the answers you're looking for, some oher things will blow your mind. I finished it less than a month ago and I'm very impatient for Words of Radiance, can't imagine how is the people who read it back in 2010.

see5harp

Yea I read Way of Kings just last year. I can't imagine having to wait for the sequel for this many years. You could have gone to college as a freshman and would be close to graduating!

Yea I read Way of Kings just last year. I can't imagine having to wait for the sequel for this many years. You could have gone to college as a freshman and would be close to graduating!

That's not too long, especially since Sanderson has put out like 4 books since then. It's not like he's GRRM where you never know when/if you'll get it, it was just a matter of Sanderson finishing off WOT and getting around to this.

"Average"

If you want me to explain what I mean by that, well... I don't feel confident enough in my ability to write about writing to attempt to articulate an objective justification for the opinion. I would point to the authors I mentioned as examples of prose in science fiction and fantasy that I do really appreciate, though.
It's a rather simple writing prose similar to what you'd find in a best selling suspense novel, but with more detail. That's not to knock Sanderson but clearly his writing is largely just there to present the plot. It's not meant to present a particular style of feel, it's sort of like a serviceable car that gets you from A to B. Hence why he can pump out books so fast.

Gene Wolfe has a certain flair to his writing for instance, it's distinguishable from others. Even Martin has a certain style, and finds a more poetic voice in the later books (consider how he writes the Dornish chapters in Feast especially).

studyguy

Words of Radiance, I just want to see Kaliden & Dhalinar wreck things left and right. I want a buddy cop style story where Kaliden is the crazy one and Dhalinar is always stickin back saying he's too damn old for this.

see5harp

That's not too long, especially since Sanderson has put out like 4 books since then. It's not like he's GRRM where you never know when/if you'll get it, it was just a matter of Sanderson finishing off WOT and getting around to this.

Yea, I suppose he's stayed busy. I enjoyed the last 1/3 so much that I just can't imagine sitting around for a few years.

Woorloog

Banned
"Average"

Haven't read anything by those you mentioned i can't think what you might mean.
I always think i read a lot... perhaps i do but it seems i read from rather limited selection of authors and books.
It's a rather simple writing prose similar to what you'd find in a best selling suspense novel, but with more detail. That's not to knock Sanderson but clearly his writing is largely just there to present the plot. It's not meant to present a particular style of feel, it's sort of like a serviceable car that gets you from A to B. Hence why he can pump out books so fast.

Gene Wolfe has a certain flair to his writing for instance, it's distinguishable from others. Even Martin has a certain style, and finds a more poetic voice in the later books (consider how he writes the Dornish chapters in Feast especially).

I guess that may be what i like in Sanderson's writing, it is simple.
Isaac Asimov is one of my favorite writers and his style is even more simplistic. Notoriously simple. Very clear too, he always wanted to present the story clearly.
But as i said, i do like Martin's writing too, a lot.

Anyway, I think i find writing bad or weak only when it overuses said-bookisms (i've developed a strong dislike for them), and when the writer tells too much instead of showing it, specifically when there's a lot of info dumping. Recall this one scifi book having a few pages of completely irrelevant world history... Don't recall the name but i didn't bother reading long after that info dump, there was nothing positive in that book.

Still don't understand why simple/clear writing might be considered weak or average, especially when there's equally as many people saying purple prose is weak or average...

----

Did Words of Radiance have release date yet?

Draconian

Hate to name some so obvious but GRRM is one. I'm also very partial to Patrick Rothfuss, though his output is pretty limited so far. But I'd put him way above Sanderson. I also think Scott Lynch is way above Sanderson. So those three are what are "first-tier" for me.

Rothfuss completely jumped the shark for me when he decided to
write a 50 page romance section near the end of Wise Man's Fear
. I am not easily offended or annoyed with author's decisions, but that crap was awful and should've been cut if his editor had any sort of backbone.

studyguy

Rothfuss completely jumped the shark for me when he decided to
write a 50 page romance section near the end of Wise Man's Fear
. I am not easily offended or annoyed with author's decisions, but that crap was awful and should've been cut if his editor had any sort of backbone.

Wiseman's Fear was fine, it didn't feel nearly as solid all the way through like the original, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Actually read through, Michael J Sullivan's two prequel books to the Riyira Chronicles series. Crown Tower & The Rose and Thorn. Totally fine with them, I haven't done Riyria in full yet, but the felt like fun, bite sized romps. A bit too many fortunate coincidences for my tastes and straight forward, but still fun.

Looking to jump into Theft of Swords next or Lies of Locke Lamora, not sure.

massoluk

Banned
IMO, Wiseman's Fear kinda jumped the shark when a significant portion of the book is
dedicated to Kvothe getting high in a mystical realm and learning the art of fucking from fairy
. It was a pain to read through, with me hoping it will end next page so I can get to more interesting shit.

studyguy

IMO, Wiseman's Fear kinda jumped the shark when a significant portion of the book is
dedicated to Kvothe getting high in a mystical realm and learning the art of fucking from fairy
. It was a pain to read through, with me hoping it will end next page so I can get to more interesting shit.

Honestly, I take a lot of the book with a grain of salt, considering it's his account of how things went down, I'd imagine he's making a lot of it larger than life. I don't know, I keep getting the feeling that we're getting our leg pulled in some regards between the honest accounts of his journey. Anyhow, I agree that was a little weird,
but at least during the time he wasn't basically doing the karmasutra, the area he was in was interesting.

Cyan

Banned
EDIT The only thing i know that is not good nowadays is use of said-bookisms. Goddamn annoying too.

Let me help Mumei out here, because I agree with him and I think I might be able to articulate why.

There are far more variables that go into a writing style than a single axis of simple through flowery. You can break things down in a lot of different ways, including word complexity, specificity, balance of parts of speech, narrative summary vs action, use of imagery, POV penetration, choice of narrator, dryness vs color, word rhythm, sentence rhythm, paragraph rhythm, transparency vs style, and many, many more (many of these are interrelated, as well).

Your typical purple prose is high on word complexity and high on adjectives and adverbs, uses overly complicated imagery, and is not backed up with any skill in rhythm or specificity. Your Asimovian prose uses a lot of simple verbs and proper nouns, little imagery, low POV penetration, a lot of dryness or clinicality, high transparency.

I'm not going to analyze all the authors Mumei mentioned (especially since I haven't read most of them in a while), but off the top of my head Beagle is tops at imagery, specificity, and rhythm, leans more towards nouns and verbs, and is deliberately stylistic when it's called for (see e.g. the first page of The Last Unicorn).

My take on Sanderson is that he leans to verbs, nouns, and adjectives, generally simple and not high on specificity. He has high POV penetration and (correctly) leans towards action over narrative summary. He pays little attention to word rhythm, a little more to sentence rhythm, and he has decent paragraph rhythm. He is high on transparency and doesn't do stylistic; I'm not sure he can, since I've never seen anything from him that wasn't this way. His narrators don't have a lot of color and can be dry if not clinical--given the high POV penetration, this may be a function of having characters without much depth. (In part, dry narration is a function of the choice of transparent prose, but it's quite possible to do both; see e.g. Lois McMaster Bujold).

I would guess that Mumei's view of Sanderson as "middling" is down to Sanderson's generally simple and non-specific word choices, weak imagery, and lack of attention to rhythm.

Mumei

Let me help Mumei out here, because I agree with him and I think I might be able to articulate why.

There are far more variables that go into a writing style than a single axis of simple through flowery. You can break things down in a lot of different ways, including word complexity, specificity, balance of parts of speech, narrative summary vs action, use of imagery, POV penetration, choice of narrator, dryness vs color, word rhythm, sentence rhythm, paragraph rhythm, transparency vs style, and many, many more (many of these are interrelated, as well).

Your typical purple prose is high on word complexity and high on adjectives and adverbs, uses overly complicated imagery, and is not backed up with any skill in rhythm or specificity. Your Asimovian prose uses a lot of simple verbs and proper nouns, little imagery, low POV penetration, a lot of dryness or clinicality, high transparency.

I'm not going to analyze all the authors Mumei mentioned (especially since I haven't read most of them in a while), but off the top of my head Beagle is tops at imagery, specificity, and rhythm, leans more towards nouns and verbs, and is deliberately stylistic when it's called for (see e.g. the first page of The Last Unicorn).

My take on Sanderson is that he leans to verbs, nouns, and adjectives, generally simple and not high on specificity. He has high POV penetration and (correctly) leans towards action over narrative summary. He pays little attention to word rhythm, a little more to sentence rhythm, and he has decent paragraph rhythm. He is high on transparency and doesn't do stylistic; I'm not sure he can, since I've never seen anything from him that wasn't this way. His narrators don't have a lot of color and can be dry if not clinical--given the high POV penetration, this may be a function of having characters without much depth. (In part, dry narration is a function of the choice of transparent prose, but it's quite possible to do both; see e.g. Lois McMaster Bujold).

I would guess that Mumei's view of Sanderson as "middling" is down to Sanderson's generally simple and non-specific word choices, weak imagery, and lack of attention to rhythm.

This was very helpful!

I don't think that simple prose is bad in and of itself - I think much of Le Guin and Beagle's prose is also fairly straightforward. And that's not my criticism of his writing (or PD's, I don't think). I think his style is, for lack of a better word, entirely lacking in élan. It's not that his prose is -bad-, I don't think; there's just no style to it. While I won't say it never occurs, I don't come to a book by Sanderson expecting to experience interesting turns of phrase, labyrinthian sentences I can get lost in, lyricism, particularly vivid or beautiful imagery, the use of assonance, alliteration, or consonance; I don't expect to be moved by the sheer aesthetic experience of words beautifully arranged. I couldn't have articulated it quite the way you did, but that's essentially the thrust of it.

These aren't examples of one of the authors I mentioned, but I think they capture the best of what I'm talking about:

Yes, the newspapers were right: snow was general all over Ireland. It was falling on every part of the dark central plain, on the treeless hills, falling softly upon the Bog of Allen and, farther westward, softly falling into the dark mutinous Shannon waves. It was falling, too, upon every part of the lonely churchyard on the hill where Michael Furey lay buried. It lay thickly drifted on the crooked crosses and headstones, on the spears of the little gate, on the barren thorns. His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita. Did she have a precursor? She did, indeed she did. In point of fact, there might have been no Lolita at all had I not loved, one summer, an initial girl-child. In a princedom by the sea. Oh when? About as many years before Lolita was born as my age was that summer. You can always count on a murderer for a fancy prose style*. Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, exhibit number one is what the seraphs, the misinformed, simple, noble-winged seraphs, envied. Look at this tangle of thorns.

So Humbert the Cubus schemed and dreamed—and the red sun of desire and decision (the two things that create a live world) rose higher and higher, while upon a succession of balconies a succession of libertines, sparkling glass in hand, toasted the bliss of past and future nights. Then, figuratively speaking, I shattered the glass and boldly imagined (for I was drunk on those visions by then and underrated the gentleness of my nature) how eventually I might blackmail—no, that is too strong a word—mauvemail big Haze into letting me consort with little Haze by gently threatening the poor doting Big Dove with desertion if she tried to bar me from playing with my legal stepdaughter. In a word, before such an Amazing Offer, before such a vastness and variety of vistas, I was as helpless as Adam at the preview of early oriental history, mirage in his apple orchard.

And as you mentioned, the first paragraphs of The Last Unicorn is a great example from one of the authors I did mention. In fact, here are the introductory paragraphs to books by a couple of those authors:

I'll make my report as if I told a story, for I was taught as a child on my homeland that Truth is a matter of the imagination. The soundest fact may fail is prevail in the style of its telling: like that singular organic jewel of our seas, which grows brighter as one woman wears it and, worn by another, dulls and goes to dust. Facts are no more solid, coherent, round, and real than pearls are. But both are sensitive.

The story is not all mine, or told by me alone. Indeed I am not sure whose story it is; you can judge better. But it is all one, and if at moments the facts seem to alter with an altered voice, why then you can choose the fact you like best; yet none of them are false, and it is all one story."

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone. She was very old, though she did not know it, and she was no longer the careless color of sea foam, but rather the color of snow falling on a moonlit night. But her eyes were still clear and unwearied, and she still moved like a shadow on the sea.

She did not look anything like a horned horse, as unicorns are often pictured, being smaller and cloven-hoofed, and possessing that oldest, wildest grace that horses have never had, that deer have only in shy, thin imitation and goats in dancing mockery. Her neck was long and slender, making her head seem smaller than it was, and the mane that fell almost to the middle of her back was soft as dandelion fluff and fine as cirrus. She had pointed ears and thin legs, with feathers of white hair at the ankles; and the long horn above her eyes shone and shivered with its own seashell light even in the deepest midnight. She had killed dragons with it, and healed a king whose poisoned wound would not close, and knocked down ripe chestnuts for bear cubs.

It is possible I already had some presentiment of my future. The locked and rusted gate that stood before us, with wisps of river fog threading its spikes like the mountain paths, remains in my mind now as the symbol of my exile. That is why I have begun this account of it with the aftermath of our swim, in which I, the torturer's apprentice Severian, had so nearly drowned.

We can confirm that Sanderson is indeed not a murderer!

Mike M

Nick N

Dat analysis.

BRB, quitting writing forever.

And I think much of it comes down to personal preference. Many people would say that Asimov has "middling" writing for the reasons you've stated, but I personally love his style of simplicity and straightforwardness. Sanderson is a little more complex than Asimov, but I like his as well.

I am a big proponent of the idea of never using a big word when a small word will do, along with never using adverbs or adjectives when a stronger verb or noun will do (note the word do in that sentence, instead of suffice!).

I don't personally like flowery or overly complex writing as I think it comes across as pretentious. And that's why I think it all comes down to personal preference, and I don't like it when people start someone is better or worse based on how straightforward they want to be. Sanderson makes the choice of writing this way, and clearly shows why in his online lectures posted on youtube. I highly recommend watching them as they are an interesting insight into how authors approach writing novels, and why he writes the way he does.

Here are his lectures: (note, they are in a weird order, sometimes)

https://www.youtube.com/user/WriteAboutDragons/videos

His discussion on literary fiction vs popular fiction ties into this discussion quite well. Some people (like Mumei, I am guessing) look to writing and want art in the words themselves, while others look to writing as merely the medium, and are more interested in the story. This is a huge difference in literary vs popular fiction, and it's just a matter of personal preference. It's like arguing over the academy award winning movies (or art movies) versus say, Back to the Future. A movie like Tree of Life is in my opinion, a really bad film, but I love Back to the Future. But for many, BttF is just drivel for the populace while Tree of Life is a masterpiece of art. It's all about what someone is looking for, and neither are better than the other in and of themselves, it's all arbitrary. Even so, I really dislike people who like art movies simply because they want to appear sophisticated and above the common man. It's why I think people in the academy who vote on the oscars seem to be a bunch of A-holes. They consistently snub great movies because they are popular, and consistently nominate and vote for movies because they are basically lobbied to do so by the filmmakers and critics. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia had a great episode mocking this process, though directed at TV awards which are kind of the opposite.

Woorloog

Banned
SNIP

Well that's interesting. Very much so, i'll copy it to my notes. Never know if it might be handy someday.

I'm not sure what you mean by weak imagery. Limited amount of description (visual or otherwise)?

As for rhythm, i have to ask... does lacking or having it matter really? In general text that is. I can think of cases were alliteration and rhythm added something but this has been invariably, in my experience, only the case for dialogue (V's alliterative speech from V for Vendetta film comes to my mind).
Sure, it is individual preference but otherwise...
And i assume rhythm is not related to pacing. Just to be clear.

This was very helpful!

I don't think that simple prose is bad in and of itself - I think much of Le Guin and Beagle's prose is also fairly straightforward. And that's not my criticism of his writing (or PD's, I don't think). I think his style is, for lack of a better word, entirely lacking in élan. It's not that his prose is -bad-, I don't think; there's just no style to it. While I won't say it never occurs, I don't come to a book by Sanderson expecting to experience interesting turns of phrase, labyrinthian sentences I can get lost in, lyricism, particularly vivid or beautiful imagery, the use of assonance, alliteration, or consonance; I don't expect to be moved by the sheer aesthetic experience of words beautifully arranged. I couldn't have articulated it quite the way you did, but that's essentially the thrust of it.
I was going to say i don't care for stuff like that, but then i realized, at least i'm pretty sure, that Frank Herbert (my absolutely favorite author) does use at least some of those things. Or something.
Still don't really care for having a style or lacking one.

Based on those small excerpts, i'm pretty sure i won't like Nabokov's or Joyce's writing. Or perhaps more like, i can't stand them.
And this leads to a question: why does one's style appeal to a reader but not another's? What exactly causes this? Interesting question when it comes to psychology and neuroscience that is. I'll have to remember to read about this someday.

People mentioning Sanderson's characters lacking depth made me realize they are indeed somewhat flat, with a more personality. (Same can be perhaps said about BioWare's characters in their games now that i think of this.)
And now i'm trying to think of a character with depth. And realizing, i'm not exactly sure what is depth in this context... Guess i'll have to read about that too.

I have to note that i'm not one for analyzing (at least not deeply) text, no matter if we're talking about writing itself or story or whatever. We did have a class about this in middle school but i flunked it completely. Also didn't do well in high school when it came to analyzing these.

EDIT and RileyLewis' post is an interesting one. I have to note that i'm absolutely one those who do not care for the art of words. But then i don't care for art in general, prefer it more functional* than otherwise.

*Yes, functional art. Something that enhances the overall... well, for example, a location, such as apartment. If it gets some character from having a painting on some wall, good. The existence of the painting matters more than what it is.

EDIT2 i'm not immune to the art of words though. There have been cases where i do like such. Though never poetry. That i will never understand.

Good points all around. I enjoy some his work, I just find myself wishing his prose was as imaginative as his...well, imagination.

My brother really liked The Way of Kings, I definitely plan on checking it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom