• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sold (to consumers) 4.2 million units as of Dec. 28 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
This cracks me up. You're talking about a company that has several billion dollars of revenue a quarter. They do not invest billions in R&D and marketing into a product to make a "decent profit". They've invested billions and they expect to make that back and many billions on top over the coming years. There are fewer than 40 million and shrinking console gamers in the US. On the other hand, everyone watches TV, people in the US stream to their consoles more than they play games, and something like 200 million people call themselves football fans just in the US. Console gamers are small potatoes. The Wii demonstrated it was possible to build a console that could reach beyond the console market, but Nintendo was too short sighted to really capitalize on that success. Microsoft tried to build something bigger than the console market with the Xbone and give people a reason to stick around after they get bored of kinect sports, just dance, and nike fit or whatever. Their goal is ubiquity, not profitability. For all the competitive talk on forums and twitter, deep down in the guts of MS, I doubt the discussion has anything to do with "how do we beat Sony and win the console war", the discussion is "How do we get one of these into every living room? What's the killer app?" It' not going to be a game, nearly certainly.

Glad I made you laugh :)

I don't disagree with anything you're written. XBox always was a Trojan Horse, using the gamer to get a media delivery device into the lounge.

The trouble is now then, we should completely dismiss marketshare and "console sales" and say, "How many sales does the XBone need to make to be a worthwhile proposition" beyond the games side of things. Because if it hits 25m US sales over life, that's surely then too low a number. The need people to be using this for media delivery, they need that Gold sub.

Right now, I imagine most gamers with both machines would get the PS4 version of multiplayer titles, Friend Lists withstanding. They'll be less gamers paying Gold subs and more paying PS+ accordingly. All these things mean less revenue for a division that apparently only makes make through patent licensing.

MS need to almost drop the gaming functionality from the XBone and do a TV only device, lol.

Glad I made you laugh :)

MS need to almost drop the gaming functionality from the XBone and do a TV only device, lol.

Isn't that a pretty popular rumour? A games-less SKU on the horizon? I kind of remember hearing it thrown around on forums a bit last year, but since then, haven't heard much. Can't remember if it was altogether a serious rumour with credence or not.

TBH the XBO was largely supply constrained (during the same window) and was in less countries. Also, a lot of ney-sayers think the PS4 will bomb in Japan anyway. Then of course XBO has Titanfall and Halo which will super-duper boost sales...

TBH PS4 is even more supply-constrained given by so many reports of back-order till Feb/March, and thanks to launching in more countries, it has taken away customers who may had chosen an Xbox over PS4 had they had launched simultaneously. Also, a lot of justifiers don't even try to bring up Japan in terms of countries, because they know it definitely will bomb there, whereas PS4 is only a 'maybe will bomb.' Then of course PS4 has Uncharted and Gran Turismo . which will super-duper boost sales....

/sarcasm

Steroyd

The trouble is now then, we should completely dismiss marketshare and "console sales" and say, "How many sales does the XBone need to make to be a worthwhile proposition" beyond the games side of things. Because if it hits 25m US sales over life, that's surely then too low a number. The need people to be using this for media delivery, they need that Gold sub.

This assuming all of those 25m buy XBLG which we can't deny that MS is trying to make the console as useless as possible without, to drive up the attatch rate.

Sony seeing a 90% PS+ increase since PS4 launch surely can't be a good sign for XBL looking forward either.

Isn't that a pretty popular rumour? A games-less SKU on the horizon? I kind of remember hearing it thrown around on forums a bit last year, but since then, haven't heard much. Can't remember if it was altogether a serious rumour with credence or not.

I don't understand the media streaming market, from what people on here post I gather many use their consoles for that, whereas I never have. So I could be wrong, but I think the device MS want to sell doesn't really have a place in today's society. Everyone has multiple devices that they can stream to and from. Won't be long until even the cheapest flat screen has enough Smart TV functionality to allow you to do everything you need to stream from multiple services without a gateway fee / Gold sub.

Maybe they will deliver a dirt cheap, $100 box without the game internals, but include a pad and you can Cloud Game all you like.

Yeah, just what everyone wants -- an overpriced Roku.

Yep I agree. I can't see the use of the machine with the gaming internals. Just thinking what MS may do - remember, they don't necessarily have a history of doing smart things :)

This assuming all of those 25m buy XBLG which we can't deny that MS is trying to make the console as useless as possible without, to drive up the attatch rate.

Sony seeing a 90% increase since PS4 launch surely can't be a good sign for XBL looking forward either.

I agree. I expect a huge drop off for Gold subs and with major multi platform title's console licensing fees going to Sony this gen, rather than MS.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
16th. Always a Thursday.

10781.gif

He's completely correct, PS4 Manufacturing costs are going to fall faster than XB1 costs. Mainly due to the RAM. DDR3's bottomed out and if the price was to change for Microsoft it's just as likely to go up as go down. GDDR5 on the other hand will reduce quickly, especially when the 8Gbit Chips are available later this year. Not to mention PS4 will likely be able to benefit from a die shrink slightly earlier than the XB1 thanks to the esram.

I agree. Although I do believe the Bone will catch up with the PS4 in price, but only if MS lower the price to 399 euro/dollar this year. If they don't, they will never catch up. This is how and when I expect pricecuts and other initiatives to rejuvenate sales of both consoles such as new peripheral devices to take place over the course of the gen:

(always assuming the cheapest available SKU)

PS4
2014: same price, no reason to cut price, demand is high
2015: price cut to eur/usd 299 for Q3/Q4, new colors
2016 PS4 Slim, in time for the Holiday season, possibly VR headset introduction(will be the motion control hype of this gen)
2017 price cut to eur/usd 199, Slim colors
2018 unofficial price point around eur/usd 179, retailers slashing prices and doing promotions
2019 official price cut to 149, PS5 release for Holiday season

Xbone
2014: E3 pricecut to 399
2015: Holiday price cut to 299, new colors
2016: msrp eur/usd 249
2017: Slim version
2018: msrp eur/usd 199

quetz67

Banned
Demand is decreasing. I saw the first dozen PS4s (bundled with Knack) in the wild here in Germany today. Sitting next to a 4x higher stack of xbones of course.

Demand is decreasing. I saw the first dozen PS4s (bundled with Knack) in the wild here in Germany today. Sitting next to a 4x higher stack of xbones of course.

Demand isn't decreasing. Europe is getting new shipments of PS4 and many stores don't take pre-orders and put them on sale "first come first serve".

This MediaMarkt in Holland got pallets full of PS4 yesterday
https://twitter.com/MediaMarktCruq/status/421621265057988608

4.5 hours later...
https://twitter.com/MediaMarktCruq/status/421689103005257728

All PS4 gone.

yurinka

PS3 closed up due to leading in EU and JP.

Where is XB1 leading at?

Oh yes thats right, nowhere.
In addition to this, PS3 also started slower because the price gap was way bigger, was released like a year after, its biggest games weren't released on launch, had a way worse online service, PS2 still selling a lot and lost many popular exclusives so had to create important new ones.

Doesn't seem exactly a similar case, XBO doesn't seem to have these things that improve with time in order to trigger latent potential sales.

They only can remove Kinect to make the console $100/$150 cheaper to compensate it's weaker horsepower for games, to buy some important studios to have more and better internal exclusives and hope Halo 5 and the timed exclusive Titanfall move a lot of consoles (and who knows, I'd assume they'll moneyhat Epic again for a new IP).

onQ123

In case you guys didn't know 4.2m is ~30% more than 3m. The PS4 sold 30% more than the X1 despite the major shortages and the fact that it hasn't launched in Japan yet.

Just think about that before trying to downplay the current gap between the two systems.

no 4.2M is 40% more than 3M.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Before launch, my buddy bet me that the PS4 would have twice the worldwide install base as the XB1 by the end of 2015 and I accepted. Safe bet for me?

Also, I sort of feel bad for the XB1 early adopters because I think Microsoft is going to do some aggressive bundling and/or discounts very soon to move units. Sometime in the last 30 days or so, at least a couple of the MS higher ups thought to themselves "I've made a huge mistake"

Before launch, my buddy bet me that the PS4 would have twice the worldwide install base as the XB1 by the end of 2015 and I accepted. Safe bet for me?

Also, I sort of feel bad for the XB1 early adopters because I think Microsoft is going to do some aggressive bundling and/or discounts very soon to move units. Sometime in the last 30 days or so, at least a couple of the MS higher ups thought to themselves "I've made a huge mistake"
Do you not believe anymore that the Xbox One will be number One in sales.

Steroyd

If sales are still equal in the US, then PS4 can very likely sell 2x as much as Xbox One by then. (Europe is as big as NA in terms of units sold, at least for Sony)

Highly doubtful Microsoft will, but I can see retailers doing it unofficially if they're struggling to move stock (see WiiU).

Dire

...Also, I sort of feel bad for the XB1 early adopters because I think Microsoft is going to do some aggressive bundling and/or discounts very soon to move units. Sometime in the last 30 days or so, at least a couple of the MS higher ups thought to themselves "I've made a huge mistake"

I'm also curious about this. I don't think Microsoft is just going to let Sony slide away with this generation right from the start. I think some sort of "incentivization" in the near future is inevitable for the XBone but doing so without brushing off the early adopters is going to be some sort of crazy balancing act. Microsoft is also going to be well aware of the fact that customers tend to subconsciously relate early price drops with lower quality products, and even if they do something like drop down to price match the PS4 would that really bring a large uptick in demand suddenly? I don't think it would.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
Do you not believe anymore that the Xbox One will be number One in sales.

I still think Microsoft is going to do whatever they can to keep the gap as close as possible (meaning they're going to keep doubling down on the Xbox brand until the new CEO steps in and says "stahp").

I just think the $499 and kinect forced bundle is going to cost them a lot of $$$ to recover from. They've already blown wads of $$$ on advertising just to get to 3mil and limping demand while Sony hardly had to spend a fraction of that. The best things MS has going for them right now is: 1) WiiU debacle 2) wads of $$$ compared to Sony 3) Titanfall and 4) Halo. MS isn't going to sit back like Nintendo and allow the XB1 to languish like the WiiU. They're going to be very aggressive...

Steroyd

I'm also curious about this. I don't think Microsoft is just going to let Sony slide away with this generation right from the start. I think some sort of "incentivization" in the near future is inevitable for the XBone but doing so without brushing off the early adopters is going to be some sort of crazy balancing act. Microsoft is also going to be well aware of the fact that customers tend to subconsciously relate early price drops with lower quality products, and even if they do something like drop down to price match the PS4 would that really bring a large uptick in demand suddenly? I don't think it would.

Highly doubt it, those who pre-ordered already got Fifa or Forza 5 with it, I guess the middle who bought one when they didn't pre-order and didn't get the day one edition are going to get the shaft, but most of the "compensation" for an early price cut has already been given.

MS isn't going to sit back like Nintendo and allow the XB1 to languish like the WiiU. They're going to be very aggressive...

Nintendo didn't sit back, they delayed their key titles because they ran into the "jump from SD to HD" in their game development that many devs had been there and done that 7-8 years ago, the thing is if sales crater from now on, what between Titanfall and Halo will there be to pick up sales again? Which was the question asked of Nintendo and a reason why Nintendo wasted their year on the market uncontested.

Usobuko

Banned
Anyone want to talk about Asia stock?

I have been to a couple of stores in Singapore and there's still plenty of stacked PS4 going around. Although it doesn't help that most retailers raise the price from $639 ( ~ US $505.54 ) to $699 (~ US $553.01 ).

Steroyd

Whaaaaaa

Is that poster legit? That's thread worthy if so IMO.

I don't think so, a poster in this thread mentioned it's standard practice for shops, it's just company A is dishing out a kind reminder, then again that would be a point of interest... okay I'm 50/50 now.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yep seriously...made a quick pic but not on my PC to upload it.

Edit: 15 PS4 and an untouched stack of 96 xbones.

If you can, check that store later, to see if those 15 PS4 are gone and how many Xbox One got sold. :D

Sony placed their bets on trotting out likable, passionate people in their company. It payed off.

MS trotted out a bunch of suit-adorned automatons to fart out PR shite 101. It didn't pay off. I'm ok with this.

Not only that, MS flooded the internet with astroturfers to cover their ass when shit started hitting the fan, and lied about the existence of that, too.

Dear mother of god!!

123K xboxes in waiting is...shockingly high for one retailer. Who could that be?

He mentioned it was small, but only in terms of warehouse space. So it's probably a major retailer, but one without a lot of huge distribution centers. That rules out Amazon, Target, Walmart, Best Buy.
Kmart/Sears is financially distressed and doesn't really move huge amounts of gaming. probably not them. Maybe Toys-R-Us? I'm not sure how many distribution centers they have.

I'm struggling to come up with someone who would order massive amounts of game consoles like that, yet not have much space to store them. Gamestop is the only one that comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom