• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Secret Developers, The Wii U story - Digital Foundry Series

then please explain why more recent games games like ACIV, NFSMW and B:AO, DE:HRDC are technically superior on the wiiU.

anybody sensible would logically realise that those 'struggling 360 ports' were the result of developers getting used to the wiiU architecture and attempts at optimising said games for this hardware that were built from the ground up on the 360 -because these consoles work significantly different from each other.

c'mon dude.

not that having a '1up' on the ps360 versions is anything major to write home about, mind you. seeing as the wiiU is newer hardware, it really should be the expectation.

i swear it's really getting tiring of appearing like i'm 'sticking up' for this console. i'm really not. it's not the most forward thinking system, and there are several things about its design that i take issue with, but someone has to inject common sense now and then, because really, hardly anyone else is doing it.
Cross-gen titles will dry up and it'll leave the wiiU in an even more difficult position to get third party software because it's just not capable compared to the next gen consoles.

Sulik2

How does a multinational corporation with their market cap and investors run themselves this way? Nintendo needs a shareholder revolt over their entire current management.

Bad choice by Nintendo to make it that different. Sounds like it takes significant effort to port a game to WiiU and you probably aren't going to see a profit from it...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Nintendo simply doesn't care about HD game development and it shows, to them making games pretty is just a necessary evil and they know that even if their first party games don't look as good fans will still buy them, they tried to design a console that is cheap to manufacture and cheap to make games for, they weren't looking forward to these newly launch hardware and trying to stay competitive. And they won't.

This isn't accurate. Nintendo deeply appreciate aesthetics, and not exclusively from a functional point of view.
But they are financially conservative when it comes to hardware and software development.

The interesting thing is most of their own Wii games and even many Gamecube games look pretty great when rendered at higher resolutions and with improved iq, and based on comments in the Dolphin thread those improvements alone would make a lot of gamers very happy.

That article was a read and a half, and very telling. Nintendo made some bad choices, and it's hurting them in the short term and long run.

gamingeek

So basically the problem with the Wii U was porting the code from another console (Like the one from the Eurogamer article). And that the early tools for dev kits had problems, also bad support from Nintendo in that time. But, these days, according to some devs is a straightforward process. (better support from Nintendo and better tools). And according to Slightly Mad Studio and others devs is not in the same league a the PS4, but is a pretty capable machine, and is above the 360 and PS3 in terms of graphics. So... Why Eurogamer make emphasis in the bad side of the info?. Whats the point?. Because nothing on this article is news for a lot of Gafers. With the PS4 and the One. The devs can bypass a lot of trial-and-error time ($$$) beacuese the raw power. With the Wii U is a different story thats true. But with the time we are going to get better looking games. (Especially the exclusives). Thats why i cant wait to see the Shin'en game.

The article should have been named differently: Launch game woes, Wii U edition. Or something. It was presented in a fairly inflammatory way and eaten up by people who fail to make the distinction that the situation changed very shortly after launch.

D-e-f-

Banned
This isn't accurate. Nintendo deeply appreciate aesthetics, and not exclusively from a functional point of view.
But they are financially conservative when it comes to hardware and software development.

The interesting thing is most of their own Wii games and even many Gamecube games look pretty great when rendered at higher resolutions and with improved iq, and based on comments in the Dolphin thread those improvements alone would make a lot of gamers very happy.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was gonna respond to the same post but I would've started with "horsepoop" and then just closed the window. :D

Exile20

BsVpLz5.png

YNjlt3U.png

prag16

Banned
It does mention the eDRAM, there's a paragraph in there saying the main memory bandwidth isn't as worrying as we thought as it's able to pre-cache most things letting the GPU run at full tilt.

Yeah, that was the one main "positive" thing that came out of this. Many people had been running with that "bandwidth starved" theory for quite a while.

We had already had other devs contradict that. But this should pretty much put that concern to rest once and for all.

They wanted a console that was the same size as the Wii and wouldn't make much noise, so "mum wouldn't mind having it in the living room".

Shit, is this really how they starting pitching the thing to third parties? Yikes.

The discussion started off well enough and covered off our experiences with the hardware and (slow) toolchain and then we steered them towards discussing when the online features might be available. We were told that the features, and the OS updates to support them, would be available before the hardware launch, but only just. There were apparently issues with setting up a large networking infrastructure to rival Sony and Microsoft that they hadn't envisaged.

This was surprising to hear, as we would have thought that they had plenty of time to work on these features as it had been announced months before, so we probed a little deeper and asked how certain scenarios might work with the Mii friends and networking, all the time referencing how Xbox Live and PSN achieve the same thing. At some point in this conversation we were informed that it was no good referencing Live and PSN as nobody in their development teams used those systems (!) so could we provide more detailed explanations for them? My only thought after this call was that they were struggling - badly - with the networking side as it was far more complicated than they anticipated. They were trying to play catch-up with the rival systems, but without the years of experience to back it up.

shocked_blue_puppet9iavh.gif

zsidane

EA publicly stated both that they "currently" had no WiiU titles in development and also that they did and/or might very well do so in the future. It was a contradictory back and forth last year.

Take Two never said anything but they clearly did halt WiiU support since all they ever released was one single piece of software for WiiU.
Bingo!

It does mention the eDRAM, there's a paragraph in there saying the main memory bandwidth isn't as worrying as we thought as it's able to pre-cache most things letting the GPU run at full tilt.

Sorry I'm late, but yeah I saw that later. I read the entire article and don't know how I missed that.

What doesn't make sense to me is how Nintendo hasn't found a solution to this problem by now. You'd think after multiple console SDKs initially without proper documentation or support in English they'd hire a few translators to work alongside the hardware/tools developers.

I can understand early tools and support being incomplete, as this is something that happens with every new hardware launch, but there's no reason for the language barrier to make this an even bigger issue.
I would guess that the tools and documentation changes often enough it may seem a waste to pay people to continously translate things in real time that may not be useful later. But yes you would think around the time dev kits are going out, you might want to get started on that. But then, they probably do. Translation is a pretty lengthy process that generally goes through several stages. Its possible they wanted to get the dev kits out as soon as the hardware was ready, while documentation was still in translation.

Not saying this is what happened or even that that would be the best plan, but the language thing isn't as unthinkable as people try to make it out. Also, I think many people here would be very surprised at how messy translation can be from even the largest international corporations from all around the globe.

AzaK

Shit, is this really how they starting pitching the thing to third parties? Yikes.

It would not surprise me. We have to understand - Nintendo puts hardware power up there on the level of consideration as the quality of cardboard to use for their packaging boxes. It has a small effect on the overall perception of the purchase but no way is hardware power in the same universe of consideration as the other goals Nintendo have. Namely price (They fucked that up), uniqueness of the controller, running cool and quiet, being small, and overall just "being different".

Top that off with being rather Japan-centric means they seem to completely feel at ease telling everyone this and being confused when developers in the West go "Err, no thanks - you guys are mad"

Shaanyboi

Banned
He doesn't go into specifics, but Dodger (former Ratchet and Clank/Skylanders developer) says the report is based on dated information.

fybmnVP.png

Even so... that doesn't paint the system in any better light. In fact it explains some of the system's biggest failings, and the fact that they still had this mentality so late into developing the hardware and OS still makes them look incredibly behind-the-times

It would not surprise me. We have to understand - Nintendo puts hardware power up there on the level of consideration as the quality of cardboard to use for their packaging boxes. It has a small effect on the overall perception of the purchase but no way is hardware power in the same universe of consideration as the other goals Nintendo have. Namely price (They fucked that up), uniqueness of the controller, running cool and quiet, being small, and overall just "being different".

Top that off with being rather Japan-centric means they seem to completely feel at ease telling everyone this and being confused when developers in the West go "Err, no thanks - you guys are mad"

I found your cardboard comment incredibly funny :-D but is it really fair ?. Iwata said around launch that because they chose to go with a system with a second screen they would have to balance the hardware with the controller or it's cost would have been astronomical.

Out of interest for you personally, If they had made WiiU as powerful as Xbone would you have paid $500 for it, I would have but they were going for the mass market.

He doesn't go into specifics, but Dodger (former Ratchet and Clank/Skylanders developer) says the report is based on dated information.

fybmnVP.png
Saying the information is dated is basically a confirmation (i.e., yes this did happen some time ago). We already knew it was dated because he's talking about a launch Wii U game which necessarily launched more than a year ago.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I found your cardboard comment incredibly funny :-D but is it really fair ?. Iwata said around launch that because they chose to go with a system with a second screen they would have to balance the hardware with the controller or it's cost would have been astronomical.

Out of interest for you personally, If they had made WiiU as powerful as Xbone would you have paid $500 for it, I would have but they were going for the mass market.

If they hadn't spent so much time focusing on a low power-consumption, small-size console with their custom chipset, you don't think they could've alleviated some of the cost?

If they hadn't spent so much time focusing on a low power-consumption, small-size console with their custom chipset, you don't think they could've alleviated some of the cost?

Of course, I just wondered if Azak would have been prepared to spend $500 on a Nintendo system if it had been as powerful as Xbone with the tablet controller.

I think the main reason they used that chipset was to make it as easy as possible for their internal teams to graduate to HD development. Going from SD to HD while learning a whole new architecture would have been incredibly difficult and even more time consuming which would have made the software delays even worse than they are now.

Log4Girlz

Of course, I just wondered if Azak would have been prepared to spend $500 on a Nintendo system if it had been as powerful as Xbone with the tablet controller.

I think the main reason they used that chipset was to make it as easy as possible for their internal teams to graduate to HD development. Going from SD to HD while learning a whole new architecture would have been incredibly difficult and even more time consuming which would have made the software delays even worse than they are now.

Not if they planned appropriately and didn't rely so heavily on their own games and instead created a platform for third parties. They could create the great looking games. Nintendo should have concentrated on making their current output literally just 1080p, their games have the kind of art design that you don't need incredibly sophisticated HD graphics.

But oh well, that's a hypothetical that we will never experience.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

From a developer's perspective, this thing is practically a new architecture. It has a many-core OoO-CPU vs. a single-core In-Order-CPU and a completely new GPU. I'd guess that the main reason for keeping the PowerPC ISA and some parts of the Wii GPU is backwards compatibility and little else.

liger05

The low power consumption and need to want it quiet so it can go in the living room is baffling. First of all its not that quiet and secondly the wii u isn't even really positioned to be a device in the living room.

The media capabilities are poor, no dvd / blueray playback, no movie or music rental options yet Nintendo said this must be able to go in the living room?

Start making consoles which teenage boys and young men want to use in there bedroom. Focus on that!!

Terrell

The low power consumption and need to want it quiet so it can go in the living room is baffling. First of all its not that quiet and secondly the wii u isn't even really positioned to be a device in the living room.

The media capabilities are poor, no dvd / blueray playback, no movie or music rental options yet Nintendo said this must be able to go in the living room?

Start making consoles which teenage boys and young men want to use in there bedroom. Focus on that!!
And then only teenage boys will buy software for it. Marginalizing your market isn't smart. Not even Sony does that.

liger05

Sony aims for the 18-34 year old demographic first and foremost and the rest will follow.

Nintendo are trying there best to avoid that demographic. To make a console and be adamant mums need to not mind it being in the living room is just crazy.

Neoxon

I think a major issue for Nintendo is release schedule too. They rely on their first party games but that worked for the NES and SNES to N64 era because it was a lot easier to churn out games quicker. The amount of polish in games required now is much higher and the late coming to the HD era screwed them, now every day they are playing catch up and aren't able to produce a wide array of different games for us as all different gamers who desire different experiences. The problem is they are sticking by the books with no real new IPs. Will I play Smash? Yeah probably but I won't be that hyped about it unless it's really good and the online is robust. If Nintendo can prove their online for their first party games is solid, they may have a fighting chance at not having the Wii U completely flop.
Wonderful 101 says hi

Gutss

Nintendo simply doesn't care about HD game development and it shows, to them making games pretty is just a necessary evil and they know that even if their first party games don't look as good fans will still buy them, they tried to design a console that is cheap to manufacture and cheap to make games for, they weren't looking forward to these newly launch hardware and trying to stay competitive. And they won't.

have you seen X? if you dont think its not a good hd game i dont know what is.

wsippel

Banned
From a developer's perspective, this thing is practically a new architecture. It has a many-core OoO-CPU vs. a single-core In-Order-CPU and a completely new GPU. I'd guess that the main reason for keeping the PowerPC ISA and some parts of the Wii GPU is backwards compatibility and little else.
Flipper, Broadway and Espresso are all OoO. The only known differences between the three, clocks aside, is that Espresso is multicore, has more L2 cache with a different cache coherency protocol, and a new bus.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If it is not a shooter it is not considered new IP.

Edit: but Nintendo is stupid. There are so many new ideas in Mario 3d World, they should have made a couple of new IPs from them, because anyhow nothing beats Mario nostalgia (known also as why isn't Mario the same it used to be, why change?).

gamingeek

Random “Anonymous” 3rd Party Developer says Wii U is hard to Develop for, Renegade Kid says no its not
http://playeressence.com/random-ano...-to-develop-for-renegade-kid-says-no-its-not/

Shin’en Multimedia Responds to the Wii U Euroclickbait
http://playeressence.com/shinen-multimedia-responds-to-the-wii-u-euroclickbait/

Eurogamer’s “Anonymous” Wii U Dev Article Confirmed “Clickbait” by a REAL Wii U Developer
http://playeressence.com/eurogamers...onfirmed-clickbait-by-a-real-wii-u-developer/

Anonymous Wii U Developer Complaints based on Pre-Retail SDK, no More Difficult than Rivals, devs say
http://playeressence.com/anonymous-...l-sdk-no-more-difficult-than-rivals-devs-say/

Former Resistance & Skylanders Developer says Nintendo made the Wii U easy to Developer for
http://playeressence.com/former-res...intendo-made-the-wii-u-easy-to-developer-for/

Platinum Games Hideki Kamiya says the Wii U is not Harder to Develop for than PS3/Xbox 360
http://playeressence.com/platinum-g...s-not-harder-to-develop-for-than-ps3xbox-360/

Gutss

Random “Anonymous” 3rd Party Developer says Wii U is hard to Develop for, Renegade Kid says no its not
http://playeressence.com/random-ano...-to-develop-for-renegade-kid-says-no-its-not/

Eurogamer’s “Anonymous” Wii U Dev Article Confirmed “Clickbait” by a REAL Wii U Developer
http://playeressence.com/eurogamers...onfirmed-clickbait-by-a-real-wii-u-developer/

Anonymous Wii U Developer Complaints based on Pre-Retail SDK, no More Difficult than Rivals, devs say
http://playeressence.com/anonymous-...l-sdk-no-more-difficult-than-rivals-devs-say/

Former Resistance & Skylanders Developer says Nintendo made the Wii U easy to Developer for
http://playeressence.com/former-res...intendo-made-the-wii-u-easy-to-developer-for/

Platinum Games Hideki Kamiya says the Wii U is not Harder to Develop for than PS3/Xbox 360
http://playeressence.com/platinum-g...s-not-harder-to-develop-for-than-ps3xbox-360/

Case closed

wsippel

Banned
The Gekko, Broadway, and Espresso all do 2.31 DMIPS/MHz per core, and we know an ARM Cortex A57 core can do up to 4.7 DMIPS/MHz. Isn't the 7-way superscalar Denver more capable than standard ARMv8-A 64-bit cores? And doesn't Tegra K1's 192 shader, 365 GFLOP GPU performance eclipse a 160 shader Latte at 192 GFLOPs?

Where is Wii U's performance advantage?
GFLOPS and DMIPS are theoretical figures, they don't really tell you much about real world performance. They don't take the overall architecture or potential bottlenecks into account. On top of that, the figures don't even tell you which operations a system supports. For example, "5*5" is one operation, and so is "5+5". But if a chip can only add, not multiply, it has to do "5+5+5+5+5" to compute "5*5" and is really several times slower, yet the "ops per second" performance figure is the same on paper.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Flipper, Broadway and Espresso are all OoO. The only known differences between the three, clocks aside, is that Espresso is multicore, has more L2 cache with a different cache coherency protocol, and a new bus.

True, I stand corrected.

I still wonder why they valued backwards compatibility so much that they kept the processor family. Not only do I think that backwards compatibility is generally overrated, especially in the case of the Wii's library with only relatively few memorable games, but Nintendo could have re-released easy ports of the Wii's best titles (SMG1/2, TLoZ:SS, Metroid Prime 3, etc.) on the eShop had they changed the CPU entirely.

spekkeh

Banned
I'm taking some issue with a dev whistleblower to be referred to as clickbait, when it's what's sorely missing from games journalism; insiders breaking NDA and PRspeak.

Of course it's kicking a console when it's down and especially by DF, who exist to kick anyone down that makes their job harder of a sell, but still.

tipoo

Banned
I still wonder why they valued backwards compatibility so much that they kept the processor family. Not only do I think that backwards compatibility is generally overrated, especially in the case of the Wii's library with only relatively few memorable games, but Nintendo could have re-released easy ports of the Wii's best titles (SMG1/2, TLoZ:SS, Metroid Prime 3, etc.) on the eShop had they changed the CPU entirely.

Maybe it just had more to do with their preexisting deal with IBM and R&D costs.

wsippel

Banned
True, I stand corrected.

It's a very simple and efficient architecture. Nintendo probably figured that dedicated vector units (VMX/ SSE) or 64bit support would be a waste of die space, and for everything else, the ppc750 holds up very well to this day. I mean, the system has less than 4GB RAM, so 64bit support would indeed be pretty much pointless (and the ppc750 has a 36bit memory controller anyway, so there is no 4GB limit to begin with), and there's probably a reason they always highlighted GPGPU and hired a lot of GPGPU and heterogenous computing guys over the last two years. If a GPU is better at physics or pathfinding than a CPU anyway, why bother?

urfe

So, with two consoles out there basically the same, and one different, your solution is having three consoles basically the same? Aren't two enough?

that website needs another news story or an update to save some credibility here

that website needs another news story or an update to save some credibility here
You're right, PlayerEssence does need to get back some credibility. It's not often you see, in the same post, a frothing-at-the-mouth condemnation of an article for being poor journalism and then post like you're a member of GameFAQs:

PlayerEssence said:
Plain and simple, Eurogamer’s article was PURE clickbait, talking to a developer with old dev kits that didn’t know what he was doing. NICE Eurogamer, let’s all give that great site a round of applause…..clap clap clap …..Schedule a clickbait for the weekend hits because you guys are too lazy to put up some real content. JOKE of a website, and they have lost all real credibility with me.

That's fucking embarrassing to read.

Top Bottom