• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher: Extended Edition announced

Datrio

Didn't find anything, but lock if anyone posted it before.

Polish source: http://gamecorner.pl/gamecorner/1,86013,4938569.html

Quick translation: CD-Project announced an extended edition of The Witcher, which will feature two mods called "The Witcher Adventures". One of them is created by a group of modders who create professional mods for Neverwinter Nights.

But that's not all. They'll also include a mod editor (Dijnni Toolset) and two CDs - one with the music inspired by the video game, and the second one with extra video materials.

The game was also upgraded - the loading times were shortened, and a few thousand lines of dialog were retranslated in English (so that probably means the extended edition will be released worldwide).

The mods created with the editor will be available online, for free. Furthermore, users who registered their copies of the game will be able to download all the extra content for free.

The extended edition will be available on the 15th May for 99 PLN (regular price). No info on the availability outside of Poland.

Borys

Banned
Yeah the mods will be free.

There's actually a whole load of stuff in polish about this edition. I would gladly translate it all for you but not now cause I have to leave work in 5 minutes.

Mamesj

Banned
solid2snake said:
where is the DS port?

DS/Wii version coming this Fall. It's a stripped down version called "Witcher Poker." you can only play the dice poker mini-game in it.

Edit: this just in-- CD Projekt bought by Nintendo. Witcher Poker will be renamed Mario Poker.

monkspider said:
Bring it to consoles, you bastards. Who is with me?

I remember a console version as well a sequel was being hinted at.

I think the game would sell decently if marketed well enough on the 360.

Borys

Banned
Mod #1: The Price of Neutrality

3 quests: 1 main, 2 side quests

2 new NPC models, new tent model, 2 new erotic cards, 2 new flashbacks

Mod #2: Side Effect

Jaskier got in trouble and ended up in jail. It's up to Geralt to get the money to pay for his freedom.

Simple mod that is talking and quest-solving oriented. No new GFX assets. You can win the quest using various paths.

bigmit3737 said:
I remember a console version as well a sequel was being hinted at.

I think the game would sell decently if marketed well enough on the 360.

Ah, excellent to hear. I really wanted to play this one after hearing Jeff's recollections on the Brodeo.

I was going to do the "Well, I was going to buy The Witcher, but now I'll have to wait" whine, but the fact that even current owners will get the extra content is really a nice touch. It must have been hard to resist double-dipping buyers with it. I'm pleasantly surprised.

Datrio said:
Didn't find anything, but lock if anyone posted it before.

Polish source: http://gamecorner.pl/gamecorner/1,86013,4938569.html

Quick translation: CD-Project announced an extended edition of The Witcher, which will feature two mods called "The Witcher Adventures". One of them is created by a group of modders who create professional mods for Neverwinter Nights.

But that's not all. They'll also include a mod editor (Dijnni Toolset) and two CDs - one with the music inspired by the video game, and the second one with extra video materials.

The game was also upgraded - the loading times were shortened, and a few thousand lines of dialog were retranslated in English (so that probably means the extended edition will be released worldwide).

The mods created with the editor will be available online, for free. Furthermore, users who registered their copies of the game will be able to download all the extra content for free.

The extended edition will be available on the 15th May for 99 PLN (regular price). No info on the availability outside of Poland.
I was slightly peeved up until that point. Go go CD Projekt!
The official site appears to be having problems though... Been verifying my age for five minutes now.

edit
Appears you can register your game at Atari as well.

English press release.
English PDF (more detailed info)
Wow, this sounds like a pretty damn awesome patch.
"The Witcher: Enhanced Edition will be a completely polished product. A product that is rarely found on the PC market. Of course, it would be best if the premiere edition could look that way. For different reasons that was not achieved, now we're trying to make up for it. It should be easier for the fact that there aren't that many elements in the game which need improvement.

Work is being done on two levels. One concerns the removal of technical obstacles that hinder the player from properly using the game and thus gaining enjoyment from it. By that I mean level loading times, which will be reduced by 80%, the stability of the game on different configurations, as well as a whole array of smaller fixes that will increase interactivity and precision in combat.

The other level consists of very important changes that are not usually found in patches. First and foremost, the English language version will be, for the most part, completely re-done. The amount of text in that version was reduced compared to other language versions and that was said to cause a significant decrease in immersion and atmosphere. Now the English version will be as polished and atmospheric as the other language versions. Speaking of language versions, most of them will be more or less improved. Significant changes will also be made in the German version, where we are planning to re-record the voices for many of the characters.

The most important improvements concern those elements of the game that the players criticized the most. So for example, over 50 new supporting character models will be added, so that the player won't run into the same person too often. The inventory panel will be re-designed and improved, and some elements of the main game screen will be polished.

However, one of the biggest changes that will greatly increase the player's immersion in the game world will be improvements concerning dialogue scenes. Both Geralt and the NPCs will get over 100 new animated gestures which will make their "body language" during a conversation much more natural. Additionally, the face animation and lip-sync system will be re-created, making the faces of the speakers now even more natural as well. Of course, I've mentioned only the most important changes, and that's still a lot. There will be many smaller changes that will make the game more fun. I'm convinced that, thanks to them, The Witcher will be an almost ideal game."

Adam Kiciński – the head of CD Projekt RED spoke about publishing and the availability of the Enhanced Edition in different parts of the world: "Our goal is to make the Enhanced Edition available to all players all over the world. Of course, in the end, that depends on our publishers with whom we are currently negotiating. I believe that thanks to the interest shown by players, it will be possible to convince publishers worldwide to release the game in conjunction with the premiere in Eastern Europe, that is May 16. This is important because aside from improvements to the game itself, this edition is also to be improved in terms of how it's released, which for the most part depends more on the publishers than us, the authors.

For example, aside from the game DVD, we are planning to include a DVD with a Mod Editor D'jinii, as well as two additional adventures, a video DVD with extended material concerning the making of the game, a music CD with 29 tracks from the game, a music CD with 15 tracks of music inspired by the game, an 80-page instruction booklet, a 112-page official guide written by the authors of the game, and a 50-page short story written by Andrzej Sapkowski. There will also be a map of the game world.

As you can see it is quite an elaborate release and it is important to us that fans all over the world be able to buy this version of the game. Especially considering it will not be more expensive than the standard edition of the game! Fans that have already bought the game need not worry, however, because the new content and improvements will be available to them in the form of a downloadable update "
Crazy. Might have to buy the game a second time.

krzy123

They should rework the dice game also, though the ai reworking was much required. The current ai is hilarously bad.

But awesome updates all around.

I think i had issues registering the game through the website, but then i used the "launcher" registering mechinism and it worked.

Top Bottom