• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Brothers Brawl *SPOILERS**SPOILERS**SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm

SSBM stayed one of the GCN's top 5 best selling games throughout its lifespan. SSBB will pass SSBM's total lifetime sales in Japan in 1 - 2 weeks.

Teknoman

So what, are we going to have a launch day online brawlathon? Of course im going to want to explore the menus and subspace abit, but still.

Firestorm

I'm spending the first day or two on Subspace Emissary. Will head online afterwards. Tuesday there's a Brawl Launch thing going on for 6 hours at my campus.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
My friends and I are hooking up 3 TV sets to 3 Wiis in the same room for a massive week long party. Classes be damned!

Tenbatsu

TenshiOni said:
Impressions on the voices of the Pokemon Trainer, StarFox Team, Wolf, Snake, Sonic, Marth (assuming he speaks english now), and Ike, please.

Of course...after you're done playing it for hours and hours. D:
Pokemon Trainer and Starfox sounded decent but Ike english voice over sounds weird :( Never unlock the rest so sorry.

Vargas said:
Did they make the manual trilingual? I hope not.
Yes its trilingual.

Adumaha said:
Someone submitted this picture to Go Nintendo saying they got it from Sears. Was that you?
Which Sears and where do you live?
They got the info wrong, I live in Singapore.

MisterHero said:
It's not like the Mario Galaxy manual and 20 pages for English, 20 pages for Spanish and 20 pages for French is it? :lol
Yesss....

JCX

I plan on a match against my brother on battlefield, then playing co-op til we beat SSE or get bored and play more versus.

Tenbatsu

Are you able to find people online to play with in the japanese version? I cant find a single soul at all in the US one so I assume that its not like Mario Kart DS where its worldwide brawl :(

Spruchy

Tenbatsu said:
Are you able to find people online to play with in the japanese version? I cant find a single soul at all in the US one so I assume that its not like Mario Kart DS where its worldwide brawl :(

Learn 2 read.

JCX

Tenbatsu said:

If only I had a Japanese copy and a Japanese wii. I meant when it comes out in the states.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
You won't be able to connect to random Japanese players unless you're fairly close to Japan because of lag. You're not locked out from playing them because of the region, but because of the distance.

Guled said:
I don't think they care about NPD figures. They can sell more in the time frame of now to march 16 then march 9-16. They would make more money and sales from people switching to illegal methods because they couldn't wait.

It's not about selling on the whole as much as having crucial front press coverage in the earlier release weeks.
Think about it. Majority of people won't even hear about NPD, but if "1 million SSBB sold DAY ONE" shows up on front page of Google News, the hype train will keep on running even furthermore.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Tenbatsu said:
Pokemon Trainer and Starfox sounded decent but Ike english voice over sounds weird :( Never unlock the rest so sorry.

Hmm what do you mean by weird? Does Ike still sound really angry when he talks and grunts? That is the best part about his japanese VA... he sounds so pissed all the time :lol

Tenbatsu

MrCheez said:
Hmm what do you mean by weird? Does Ike still sound really angry when he talks and grunts? That is the best part about his japanese VA... he sounds so pissed all the time :lol

His voice over when performing his moves are the same as the Japanese version, whereas his taunt and the voice from the wiiremote when you selected him doesnt sound good at all. "Prepare yourself" is his line and the voice over doesnt match with those during his moves which is why I find it weird.

mandiller

Have the characters that didn't make it into the final game been mentioned?

Some people have been looking through the game files and found evidence of serveral characters that didn't make it into the final thing:

Dixie
Dr. Mario
Mewtwo
pra mai (?)
Roy
Toon Sheik
Toon Zelda

If it's been mentioned just ignore me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Oh my god I can post.

I love Ike's yell when he uses his Side B and other attacks.

As for Wireless, I enter the waiting room, but I get disconnected after waiting a bit.

MrCheez

Hey I've got a question for all my fellow brawl-owning peeps...

Okay, if you have tried playing with the nunchuck or classic controller options... do you ever find that when you DASH your character often skids repeatedly? (Like... he will start running... skid to a stop... run... skid to a stop..)

I think it's something to do with the analogue stick on the nunchuk and the classic controller... I have multiple nunchucks and they all do the same thing too. It's driving me CRAZY. Is it happening to anyone else?

MrCheez

Ysiadmihi said:
Have you tried another Wiimote? Maybe the signal is dropping out for some reason. Works fine here.

I've tried one classic controller and two different wiimote+nunchuk combinations and all have the same problem... no problems with any gamecube controllers though (which is what we've mostly been using). HMMMM very peculiar :(

Thanks for the response though

TJ Spyke

Iam Canadian said:
The Pokemon Trainer's voice isn't Ash's, is it? :/

By the way, how are Star Fox's voices? Are they the same as Assault?

After Nintendo switched from 4Kids Entertainment and went with Taj Media, they switched all the voice actors (which I think you might know). I got used to the voices, but the original Ash (Veronica Taylor) was so much better.

Teknoman, I plan to spend the first day or 2 playing single player modes like The Subspace Emissary and Classic Mode.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
TJ Spyke said:
After Nintendo switched from 4Kids Entertainment and went with Taj Media, they switched all the voice actors (which I think you might know). I got used to the voices, but the original Ash (Veronica Taylor) was so much better.

Yes, I knew that. What I was asking was if the Pokemon Trainer's voice sounds like how Ash currently does.

My question seems to have gotten lost on the end of the last page, so:
LouieGeetoo said:
So...when do we get an "Official" thread? Isn't it supposed to be 2 weeks before launch date? We've passed that already.

I ordered Brawl from GameStop.com awhile back (for a Free 1-Day Shipping deal), and it looks like they've just charged my credit card. Does this mean they're shipping it now? One can only hope!

Jiggy37 said:
Non-Rachel Lillis Jigglypuff will probably make me so sad. :(
Hopefully, like with Ness, they'll just keep Jigglypuff's old voice clips and pay Rachel Lillis what she deserves.

MrCheez

GAH I'm going crazy with this skidding problem I described a few posts ago. I'm testing out all my controllers and the nunchuk+wiimote (tried different wiimotes too) and classic controller options all have the same issue, while none of my wavebirds experience it.

No one else is having this happen? If you consistently hold a direction for a character to run WITHOUT letting go of the analogue stick at anytime... do they ever come to a skid by themselves (interrupting the run)?

Tenbatsu

MrCheez said:
GAH I'm going crazy with this skidding problem I described a few posts ago. I'm testing out all my controllers and the nunchuk+wiimote (tried different wiimotes too) and classic controller options all have the same issue, while none of my wavebirds experience it.

No one else is having this happen? If you consistently hold a direction for a character to run WITHOUT letting go of the analogue stick at anytime... do they ever come to a skid by themselves (interrupting the run)?

Never encounter this too, did you try recalibrating the analog again by setting it to its neutral position and going to the home menu?

Masked Man

I said wow
MrCheez said:

Could it have anything to do with the (minimal) motion controls present with the Wiimote setups? I dunno if that would explain the CC option, but I wonder if perhaps the "Shake Smash" could somehow be negating your run... I dunno, just a thought. Sorry to hear about your travails! =/

Iam Canadian

As the resident Mother fanatic, I decided to pursue Starmen.Net's Smash forums, to see how they reacted to all the recent Smash goodness. Much to my delight, I discovered some fairly detailed impressions of both Ness and Lucas. This paragraph from the impressions jumped out at me:

PK Magnet can do damage. It's one of the most broken attacks I've seen in the game so far. Doesn't happen for Ness, unfortunately. Let that sink in for a bit. Yes, it does damage if you're close enough to your opponent when you pull it out. It's even more effective than Fox's reflector in Melee. It's VERY fast if you let go of B right away, there's pretty much zero lag. I got a KO at 42% with it.

This appears to be very promising. :D MrCheez, I know you're not a Ness/Lucas player, but do you think you could confirm this? Or anyone else with the game?

tabsina

WiiRevolution1 said:
Hey what do yall think of the newest stage I created?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKLk0ydU3KE

I tried to create it as a 1P level, I think it worked out pretty well considering the stage editor is made for MP games :lol

thats awesome.. and i'd go as far as to say this can be done on a multiplayer scale.. set it up so everyone starts around there (i'm not sure if thats possible), and then everyone has to fight and sprint at the same time to get to the end first.. would be awesome

Firestorm

I still don't get why they didn't call PT Red. He looks like Red, he has the first gen starters, Red is a shorter name and wouldn't look awkward, it makes him seem less generic, it's the same name in Japan and the rest of the world (unlike Blue/Green), and HE IS FREAKING RED.

Insaniac

tabsina said:
thats awesome.. and i'd go as far as to say this can be done on a multiplayer scale.. set it up so everyone starts around there (i'm not sure if thats possible), and then everyone has to fight and sprint at the same time to get to the end first.. would be awesome

if only you could make a break the targets or board the platforms level :(

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Iam Canadian said:
As the resident Mother fanatic, I decided to pursue Starmen.Net's Smash forums, to see how they reacted to all the recent Smash goodness. Much to my delight, I discovered some fairly detailed impressions of both Ness and Lucas. This paragraph from the impressions jumped out at me:

This appears to be very promising. :D MrCheez, I know you're not a Ness/Lucas player, but do you think you could confirm this? Or anyone else with the game?

Old. Lucas's causes damage, Ness's doesnt

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:

WOW! I had no idea... I just tried it (just for you Canadian! <3 ) and it's pretty cool. The knockback isn't insane or anything, but it's decent. I couldn't KO with it until 113% against Ness, so I'm not sure how they KO'd with it at 40%. It seems to do knockback to the side and it damages for about 10% a hit. Even when the opponent is at 0% it does throw them back a few feet outta yo face

It doesn't have a huge hitbox, though. The hitbox actually seems to be a little smaller than the graphic itself. But it comes out pretty fast, so I'm sure Lucas players will start integrating this into their combos :D

And no, Ness cannot damage with his :( Although Ness' absorb move covers his whole body while Lucas' is held out in front of him.

As you mentioned I'm not really a Ness/Lucas player... but Lucas is pretty cool to play as from the few times I've used him. His up-smash is INSANE. It feels like a move that should belong to Ike... it's slooow to come out but can KO really well off the top. Lucas' down air is pretty sweet too, he like kicks out pk-sparkliness out of his feet a few times and it kind of stops his momentum for a moment.

He feels faster than Ness as well, and his PK-Fire hits once and knocks your opponent back (as opposed to Ness who gets their opponent caught in a persisting multi-hitting PK-fire)

Right now it feels like Lucas has a bit of an edge over Ness, but I guess Ness is probably the heavier-hitter of the two. (with the exception of Lucas' up-smash)

Also, you've seen Ness' totally-amazing-ultra-badass final costume color, right??? :O
BLACK MR. SATURN SHIRT!

KevinCow

Banned
Firestorm said:
I still don't get why they didn't call PT Red. He looks like Red, he has the first gen starters, Red is a shorter name and wouldn't look awkward, it makes him seem less generic, it's the same name in Japan and the rest of the world (unlike Blue/Green), and HE IS FREAKING RED.
I'm guessing he was put in Brawl largely to appeal to early Pokemon fans who aren't interested in the series much anymore but have fond memories of Red and Blue, and Pokemon Trainer's an easier name for them to identify with. It's not really widely known outside of hardcore Pokemon fans that "Red" is the character's official canonical name.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
KevinCow said:
I'm guessing he was put in Brawl largely to appeal to early Pokemon fans who aren't interested in the series much anymore but have fond memories of Red and Blue, and Pokemon Trainer's an easier name for them to identify with. It's not really widely known outside of hardcore Pokemon fans that "Red" is the character's official canonical name.

You could just still call him Red, just to make him a bit less generic. Although I do love the POKEMON TRAINEERRR in the char select screen of the japanese version :lol

Iam Canadian

Awesome, thanks, Cheez! :D

As if I needed more reason to use Lucas, this is an incredibly cool tidbit. As for the KO at 40%, maybe they used it on Jigglypuff or something?

MrCheez said:
As you mentioned I'm not really a Ness/Lucas player... but Lucas is pretty cool to play as from the few times I've used him. His up-smash is INSANE. It feels like a move that should belong to Ike... it's slooow to come out but can KO really well off the top. Lucas' down air is pretty sweet too, he like kicks out pk-sparkliness out of his feet a few times and it kind of stops his momentum for a moment.

He feels faster than Ness as well, and his PK-Fire hits once and knocks your opponent back (as opposed to Ness who gets their opponent caught in a persisting multi-hitting PK-fire)

Right now it feels like Lucas has a bit of an edge over Ness, but I guess Ness is probably the heavier-hitter of the two. (with the exception of Lucas' up-smash)

The Up-Smash info is actually new to me, but I always thought it looked powerful. I don't suppose Lucas' down-air is a Meteor Smash, is it?

I did know about the PK Fire difference. PK Fire is actually one of the few things I think Ness has the better version of. Still, I think Lucas will be replacing Ness as my main. However, Ness will still be a primary secondary. :D

MrCheez said:
Also, you've seen Ness' totally-amazing-ultra-badass final costume color, right??? :O BLACK MR. SATURN SHIRT!

Thanks, but I knew about that, Cheez. :D I'm quite convinced that it's the best alternate costume in the entire game. In any game.

Firestorm

KevinCow said:

Well, Red doesn't make it any less appealing to early Pokemon fans who aren't interested anymore though. It gives him more of an identity as well, which is nice. At least people wouldn't refer to him as that idiot Ash. God I hate Ash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom