• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Skyrim DLC "Dawnguard" coming this summer

Cat Party

I think people getting screwed because they happened to be on one platform over the other have the right to be upset. Derp.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. "Getting screwed," lol. It's for-pay DLC. It releases whenever the publisher says so. If they want to favor one platform, they can.

Also, for those wondering how big it will be, don't expect Shivering Isles size. It will be similar to what they did with the later Fallout 3 expansion and with Knights of the Nine for Oblivion. Bethesda's gone on record about that a number of times, I think.

Yasae

Banned
Bah just noticed the exclusive...that crap needs to stop.
LLShC.gif
You forgot the citation.

Howard, Todd. "Console Exclusives." Obvious Ways to Farm Cash, 2012. Kotick Press. Bethesda, MD. Print.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Not expecting much considering the quality of the Fallout DLC and how bad most of the quests were in Skyrim.

Loxley

If they're going to wait to unveil it at E3, then that really makes me believe them when they say it's more like a full-on expansion as opposed to Fallout 3's DLC.

Despite the fact that I'm playing on the PC and have to wait an extra damn month for it, I'm still looking forward to it :)

Derrick01

Banned
Not expecting much considering the quality of the Fallout DLC and how bad most of the quests were in Skyrim.

Yeah almost every quest in Skyrim has been pretty bad so I don't expect anything unique here. Honestly it's hard to get excited at all knowing that the problems from Skyrim will likely still be in the DLC (level and loot scaling).

I can wait 30 days. I just finished the main quest after putting in 174 hours last weekend and I still have a lot of sidequests and content to go through. If anything this will let me take a breather from Skyrim and to play the games that been accumulating in my backlog.

Timed exclusivity isn't anything new. Although is this the first time that this is the case with the PC version of a game? It makes sense from a business perspective for MS to get exclusivity over Sony like they do with CoD, but aren't PC players kind of a totally different audience. I doubt PC players like myself are going to run out and buy the 360 version of Skyrim's DLC just to play it early.

KorrZ

Saw this thread title and got super fucking excited and then I see an announcement of an announcement :( Thanks a lot, OP.

Still can't wait for this though, I put a colossal load of time into Skyrim and can't wait to get some fresh new content in and play for another few months. They've already added some pretty cool stuff to the game just from patching alone so it seems like this DLC could be just about anything. Hoping they add some more spells to the game personally.

spirity

Yeah almost every quest in Skyrim has been pretty bad so I don't expect anything unique here. Honestly it's hard to get excited at all knowing that the problems from Skyrim will likely still be in the DLC (level and loot scaling).

It aint a Skyrim thread until Derrick01 mentions loot scaling.

:p

spookyfish

"Hmmm ... let's see: Night's Watch is already taken ..."

>flips through thesaurus/dictionary/whatever<

"aHA! Dawn Guard!! That's IT!! ... Hey, think people will notice if we say 'Summer is Moving Toward us at an Ever Increasing Pace'?"

Derrick01

Banned
It aint a Skyrim thread until Derrick01 mentions loot scaling.

:p

Well it's a really serious problem that saps the enjoyment out of the main purpose of a Bethesda game, exploration. There's literally no point in exploring with the current system in place.

Saw this thread title and got super fucking excited and then I see an announcement of an announcement :( Thanks a lot, OP.

Still can't wait for this though, I put a colossal load of time into Skyrim and can't wait to get some fresh new content in and play for another few months. They've already added some pretty cool stuff to the game just from patching alone so it seems like this DLC could be just about anything. Hoping they add some more spells to the game personally.

Trust me, I was disappointed myself. :lol I just tried to get it all in the title.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
With all the complaining on loot scaling, I'm surprised there isn't at least a quick and dirty mod to 'do away with it' yet.

Well it's a really serious problem that saps the enjoyment out of the main purpose of a Bethesda game, exploration. There's literally no point in exploring with the current system in place.

I wouldn't say there is no point in exploring. I've had a blast exploring Skyrim's environments, towns and dungeons. That said, loot scaling would make exploring those dungeons a lot better. Plus, way more variety in weapons and armor, with some unique items thrown in the mix.

Derrick01

Banned
With all the complaining on loot scaling, I'm surprised there isn't at least a quick and dirty mod to 'do away with it' yet.

It's probably a lot of work. You have to eliminate the scaling altogether and then you have to place specific manually created items throughout dungeons and at least try to balance it a little bit. Not by implementing a scaling system, but something smaller like not placing a god tier weapon in the very first dungeon.

If there was a stat system and stat requirement system in place it would be easier because even if you found this amazing weapon early in the game you'd need a lot of strength or magic to use it. But at least you would still have the satisfaction of finding something awesome.

Garjon

exlusive to 360 for 30 days, but something tells me that this will break the PS3 version again so I would not get my hopes up personally. Wait for player reviews, not press reviews.

Or get it on 360/PC

I'm not buying it twice, unless it's for >£10. Based on past Bethesda expansions, this will make even the working versions of the game to break.

KingK

I don't know if I'll go back...

same. I enjoyed Skyrim for a long time, but after a while the flaws just became too much for it to stay fun. Loot scaling making exploration pretty much meaningless, combat being really boring, most of the quests being pretty lame, etc. Now I pretty much only play every now and then when I get high and just walk around killing people and staring at mountains.

Cels

You'd think Bethesda would have a nice little present for PS3 owners after they completely fucked up the PS3 release, but they'll probably never do anything like that.

sleepykyo

You'd think Bethesda would have a nice little present for PS3 owners after they completely fucked up the PS3 release, but they'll probably never do anything like that.

It is a present. They're waiting 30 days to break the PS3 version again. For that matter did they ever fix the PS3 version?

It is a present. They're waiting 30 days to break the PS3 version again. For that matter did they ever fix the PS3 version?

It's okay - still not on par with the Oblivion port as far as performance goes, but that port wasn't done by Bethesda so what do you expect. It no longer cripples you with framerate stutters 20 hours in if that's what you were asking.

Atrus

Gold Member
Does 360 exclusive mean it won't be on PC till 30 days later?

What would be the point of postponing a PC release for a console version? Given the scope of the game, the two versions wouldn't be competing with each other in any way.

That would just be needlessly infuriating.

lol if MS thinks this will make people buy the 360 version at this point. No fucking reason this isn't on PC day 1. Looks like I might be skipping this one.

Ourobolus

Banned
Can someone explain the timed-exclusivity of DLC for me? I mean, I can understand when, say, the vanilla game is a timed exclusive - if I could only get Skyrim on Xbox360 30 days before any other system, then I *might* be inclined to get it first (provided I owned a variety of consoles/PC).

But if it's just DLC, do they expect gamers to suddenly go, "Huh. I spent 80 hours on Skyrim on PC, but 360 is getting the DLC 30 days earlier. I'M GONNA GO DOUBLE DIP."

I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but what the hell is the point?

Can someone explain the timed-exclusivity of DLC for me? I mean, I can understand when, say, the vanilla game is a timed exclusive - if I could only get Skyrim on Xbox360 30 days before any other system, then I *might* be inclined to get it first (provided I owned a variety of consoles/PC).

But if it's just DLC, do they expect gamers to suddenly go, "Huh. I spent 80 hours on Skyrim on PC, but 360 is getting the DLC 30 days earlier. I'M GONNA GO DOUBLE DIP."

I'm not trying to sound ignorant here, but what the hell is the point?

That's why.

It's crazy town but that's precisely why.

Either Microsoft asks for it or Bethesda proactively offers it...but that's why.

Also...console-w4rz5

Top Bottom