• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Wii - 1UP hands-on/video demo

phrenal

Neo Member
Hands-on:

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3154771

Video:

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/7205

Looks pretty fun -- nothing too over the top for Wii controls.

One of the interesting features of the Wii version is the weapon aiming system. As in other versions of the game, you run around in third-person and zoom in over Sam Fisher's shoulder to shoot. But unlike in games like Rayman, the on-screen reticule for your gun does not move with every tiny adjustment you make. There's a small dead zone right around the reticule to prevent it from jumping around when you try to hold the Remote still, and the reticule only moves when you move the pointer out of that tiny area. It's something you might not even notice at first, but makes steadying your aim a simple process, with the only downside being you have to occaisionally overshoot to get very specific shots.

Wow that dude doesn't understand what "stealth" means lol; when I play SC I'm cautious about everything.

Controls didn't look bad at all. The AI seemed a bit out of touch though

Ranger X

Even if i only had a little time with it, i must admit the controls are mapped very well on the Wiimote-chuck combo there.
It should play great if it doesn't end up too buggy.

jarosh

pointless port.
at least we finally get some footage of the current-gen (SORRY) version. although the quality of the video is REALLY bad.

dyls

1up said:
Hopefully with a bit more practice, the Wii controls will become as second nature as the standard Xbox/PS2/GC ones have over the past five years,

I only played the first two Splinter Cells, but I played them for probably a combined 25 hours, and I never felt like the controls became second nature. I always had to think to do some of the more complex motions, and more than once fumbled with the controls.

Sounds like crap. PS2 ports FTL.

As long as the PS2 versions of games continue to be better than the so-called next-gen versions, I don't really mind at all.

Neomoto

Looks solid. The AI is not very good though, although I have to admit I don't play Splinter Cell normally so maybe that's "normal" for the game.

Game-Biz

In the Wii version, the Remote replaces the right analog stick, and you simply rotate the Remote right and left until you feel it vibrate and unlock the slot you are on. It's extremely simple and works beautifully, feeling more like actual lock picking than the feature has in any of the other games.

That sounds pretty cool.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
It looked unimpressive, I think the Xbox version of Chaos Theory looked better. But like all of Revolution's games, it boils down to the controls.

GSG Flash said:
It looked unimpressive, I think the Xbox version of Chaos Theory looked better. But like all of Revolution's games, it boils down to the controls.
it's called 'Wii' now.

you aren't wrong about saying chaos theory looked better though. a total lack of shadows is the most slap in the face thing about this video.

Ranger X

For Chaos Theory the Xbox had it's own build. That why it did look better than the other versions. I'm letting you guys guessed what happened this time.

andthebeatgoeson

Ranger X said:
Blame Nintendo. No online for third parties in 2006.

Gah, now it doesn't seem worth it. I have a few ideas about online (hate douchebags, weaksauce at games, esp online) but that doesn't stop me from loving some games. Hell, I played the hell out of counterstrike on xbox with bots (i know, weak, blah blah). Oh well, I guess I'll save another 50 bucks.

Doesn't the 360 have bots? I was kinda looking forward to it. BTW, I hope Sony and MS don't sell out this year and have a generally crappy christmas. So they can price drop quickly. Last thing we need is for them to get the idea that 399, 499 and 599 are ok. Bastards.

Ranger X

skinnyrattler said:
Gah, now it doesn't seem worth it. I have a few ideas about online (hate douchebags, weaksauce at games, esp online) but that doesn't stop me from loving some games. Hell, I played the hell out of counterstrike on xbox with bots (i know, weak, blah blah). Oh well, I guess I'll save another 50 bucks.

Doesn't the 360 have bots? I was kinda looking forward to it. BTW, I hope Sony and MS don't sell out this year and have a generally crappy christmas. So they can price drop quickly. Last thing we need is for them to get the idea that 399, 499 and 599 are ok. Bastards.

I think the 360 version is actually having everything except online co-op.

SuomiDude

Looks pretty meh. You can easily tell it's just a quick port from the current gen version, with some added control mechanics. The lighting doesn't seem to be very dynamic, the shadows don't look like shadows, the animation sucks, the AI sucks. Ok, there's nothing too bad there to ruin the game probably, but nothing special either, so I still wouldn't spend my money on such a shoddy product.

jarosh

SuomiDude said:
The lighting doesn't seem to be very dynamic, the shadows don't look like shadows
the game will probably look pretty shitty, but you can't draw any conclusions from that terrible low quality video. the colors are horribly washed out - everything's just a big gooey mess.

Top Bottom