• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Board Gaming |OT2| On Tables, Off Topic

zulux21

I've not even played Catan :X

Compared to all the other games I've bought so far it needs it's own shelf my my book case lol.
dXIBeZI.png

FragGZp.png

I know there are a few others that make those look small as well lol.

Gloomhaven has a decent sized box but it is mostly tall. Mansions of madness second edition is the same way. Escape big box is also huge.

I know there are a few others that make those look small as well lol.

Gloomhaven has a decent sized box but it is mostly tall. Mansions of madness second edition is the same way. Escape big box is also huge.

I kickstarted gloomhaven mk2 so I'm ready to be crushed to death

zulux21

I loved that WoW game back in the day. I miss my old copy.

I haven't played it.
I have had two come through at my local thrift store.

at some point I need to sit down and see if I have a single complete game @_@

I just don't know when I will have 20-30 days straight to do so...

so many pieces @_____________________@

advice..
i love solo, but i *occasionally* manage to lure a few friends in :)

i already own
arkham lcg + everything
elder sign + everything

new potential stuff:
legendary marvel
mage knight
pathfinder adventure card game
lord of the rings card game
descent
mansions of madness

advice? :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
advice..

i already own
arkham lcg + everything
elder sign + everything

new potential stuff:
legendary marvel
mage knight
descent
mansions of madness

Descent with the app or Mage Knight.

advice..

i already own
arkham lcg + everything
elder sign + everything

new potential stuff:
legendary marvel
mage knight
descent
mansions of madness

I vote Lord of the Rings but that's mostly because I love the deck building aspects of it.

zulux21

advice..

i already own
arkham lcg + everything
elder sign + everything

new potential stuff:
legendary marvel
mage knight
descent
mansions of madness

I don't think legendary or pathfinder are going to be very good solo.

for pathfinder I would recommend just getting the APP if you want to play solo otherwise you will need to play at least two characters at once. Technically it is possible I think to play with one but.... not having a fighter and mage will make some things really hard.

legendary's balance just won't work solo without some serious tweaks you would for sure need to play with two characters but really I think 3 is more where you want to play with.

advice..

i already own
arkham lcg + everything
elder sign + everything

new potential stuff:
legendary marvel
mage knight
descent
mansions of madness

Mansion of Madness or Mage Knight would be my recommendation. Just keep in mind Mage Knight has really steep learning curve. LoTR is good if you enjoy deck construction. Don't get Pathfinder .. it's terrible since you already have the game that Pathfinder was trying to be an RPG in a box of cards. Arkham Horror the card game is really Arkham Horror the Adventure Card Game.

zeeaykay

Mage Knight all the way. I enjoy LotR, but you probably shouldn't get involved in two LCGs at the same time for the sake of your wallet. Personally, I don't enjoy the amount of customization you need to make your deck to succeed in most scenarios.

Mage Knight is amazing with two and depending on who you ask even better with two. There is so much game in the base box, add in Lost Legion and you'll be playing it for years. There were component issues with the other two expansions but it looks like they've got them sorted and it adds even more variety. I love this game.

joelseph

advice..

i already own
arkham lcg + everything
elder sign + everything

new potential stuff:
legendary marvel
mage knight
descent
mansions of madness

Terraforming Mars

Fou-Lu

I really want to get into an LCG or even another card game, as I am feeling kind of done with MTG for now, but I can't really decide between them.

Fou-Lu

I am more interested in competitive than co-op as I seem to find it hard to replay scenarios. I have enjoyed almost every competitive battle card game I have ever played to some extent, from MTG to Duel Masters to Hecatomb to The Spoils to Yugioh to Magi Nation to L5R. I definitely would prefer if tokens could be kept to a minimum as I don't prefer their use in card games, but I know FFG tends to use them heavily and I could probably learn to accept it. I've also looked at some other card games like Ashes, Force of Will and the FFCCG but not too extensively. I am a fan of strong theme but most card games seem to bring that.

joelseph

I really want to get into an LCG or even another card game, as I am feeling kind of done with MTG for now, but I can't really decide between them.

Hearthstone is really good but it's only digital and can be pricey to be competitive out of the gates. Switching from Mtg feels like a step down but the game is really rewarding if you stick with it.

Other, real, card games I recommend would be Race for the Galaxy, Innovation, Shadowrun Crossfire, Ascension

zulux21

so reading my fog of love kickstarter update and loving tons of things they are doing.

A giant stretch goal
We’ve earlier written about how the game has grown since we initiated the Kickstarter. Today we have more news to share with you.
We’ve added even more to the game. We’ve been lucky and have landed a big exclusive retail contract. We didn’t announce this before, as it has been uncertain for a while. But now we know for sure (we can’t yet tell you who it is… but it’s a huge retailer).
This contract allows us to make a larger initial print run, which translates to lower production cost per item. Instead of going for increased margins (and earn more), we've chosen to keep margins constant.

<followed by lots of upgrades>

and
New timeline
Besides quality of the game the question on everybody’s mind is of course about delivery. Even though we worked as hard as we possibly could, we have again underestimated the effort needed make everything ready for print. So, our schedule has slipped once again.
All game production will be finalised and shipped from China in late August. This is 5-6 weeks later than we had anticipated in our last timeline in March. The shipment will be on boat for a month, before reaching the US and Europe. This means that estimated delivery time now is around mid-October.
We are immensely sorry for this added delay and will – as we have said before – offer you a full refund if you are unhappy. The window for full refunds will close end of July, as we then are moving towards organising the last things towards shipping the products.

both are just great to see from a kickstarter.

EYEL1NER

so reading my fog of love kickstarter update and loving tons of things they are doing.

and

both are just great to see from a kickstarter.
The new drawer-style box should be interesting to see. I know there are some games out there with boxes like that, but I haven't come across one yet. The bumps to all component quality are nice though.

Moobabe

Did any of you guys back the Hand of Fate board game on KS?

I'm super pumped for it, loved the Steam game and always thought it would be a cool board game. The stretch goals they hit look great and the communication has been spot on as well.

Did any of you guys back the Hand of Fate board game on KS?

I'm super pumped for it, loved the Steam game and always thought it would be a cool board game. The stretch goals they hit look great and the communication has been spot on as well.

I'm afraid I didn't back it but I have been following it. I really enjoyed the game on Steam too and am pretty excited to see how the board game goes!

Keasar

I'm on a Warhammer 40K kick. Any good solo board/card games aside from Space Hulk: Death Angel?

That's it as far as I know. All other WH40K games requires at least 2 players.

And sadly it's not like that is gonna be solved anytime soon with Games Workshop killing their license deal with Fantasy Flight so that they can produce overpriced board games with expensive miniatures themselves. While FF at least tried to make interesting and diverse board/card games with sometimes neat mechanics using the Warhammer License, all Games Workshop can do is try and sell a giant box of miniatures.

panty

It's not great. We talked about it a couple pages ago.

I have a copy but I haven't played it yet. I've been waiting until some solid variants come out for the treasure deck. Seems like a few have surfaced, but I haven't been too itching to bust it out yet with all my other new games.
I've played about 6 games so far and I enjoy it.

We have houseruled a marketplace of 5 item cards at a time and the amount of souls you get is not fixed anymore but depends on the enemies. Makes the game a lot better.

And sadly it's not like that is gonna be solved anytime soon with Games Workshop killing their license deal with Fantasy Flight so that they can produce overpriced board games with expensive miniatures themselves. While FF at least tried to make interesting and diverse board/card games with sometimes neat mechanics using the Warhammer License, all Games Workshop can do is try and sell a giant box of miniatures.

Unlikely. Another board game company has picked up GW license for making board games (Devil Pig Games), so GW is not trying to force people into buying their products by taking away the board game license. FFG for all we know, chose to not renew the license.

No one knows why FFG and GW parted ways, so lets not point fingers. It also doesn't make sense for GW to kill off a license on purpose when licensed games was a huge factor in keeping the company a float and a ton of profit on their financials. Their board game agreements also did not let FFG compete with GW's miniature games, they were making the games that GW didn't. The more likely scenarios are that FFG felt the license was tapped out, or that the renewal was gonna cost too much money for them, so they simply let it end. The license was not "killed", the term had ended on the agreement.

Keasar

Unlikely. Another board game company has picked up GW license for making board games (Devil Pig Games), so GW is not trying to force people into buying their products by taking away the board game license. FFG for all we know, chose to not renew the license.

No one knows why FFG and GW parted ways, so lets not point fingers. It also doesn't make sense for GW to kill off a license on purpose when licensed games was a huge factor in keeping the company a float and a ton of profit on their financials. Their board game agreements also did not let FFG compete with GW's miniature games, they were making the games that GW didn't. The more likely scenarios are that FFG felt the license was tapped out, or that the renewal was gonna cost too much money for them, so they simply let it end. The license was not "killed", the term had ended on the agreement.

True. Facts are still unknown. Just a bit pissy about it all. Had just started to love Warhammer The Adventure Card Game when it was all suddenly shut down. I wanted expansions for Forbidden Stars cause how great that game was. FFG did some really great board games with the license and I am sad it's all gone.

Looked up Devil Pig Games and remembered that they are the people of Heroes of Normandie that I saw on Kickstarter a long time ago. Also it seems they worked fast and reskinned that game into Heroes of Black Reach, which is the same but with Ultrasmurfs and Orks.

Which.....actually has me a bit curious, never got into Heroes of Normandie but heard it was quite a solid tactical game. Making it about WH40K instead of WW2 does pique my interest.

There are some legitimately amazing games in that link. Selling "a big box of miniatures" is disingenuous.

True. Facts are still unknown. Just a bit pissy about it all. Had just started to love Warhammer The Adventure Card Game when it was all suddenly shut down. I wanted expansions for Forbidden Stars cause how great that game was. FFG did some really great board games with the license and I am sad it's all gone.

Looked up Devil Pig Games and remembered that they are the people of Heroes of Normandie that I saw on Kickstarter a long time ago. Also it seems they worked fast and reskinned that game into Heroes of Black Reach, which is the same but with Ultrasmurfs and Orks.

Which.....actually has me a bit curious, never got into Heroes of Normandie but heard it was quite a solid tactical game. Making it about WH40K instead of WW2 does pique my interest.

It sucks FFG lost the license for sure, will have to see what happens now. Devil Pig doesn't put out a ton of product, so is their license exclusive or is GW taking the approach they took with their video games and allowing folks to make games as they want with individual product licenses? Will we see other companies also put out warhammer games now or does Devil Pig have the same power FFG had?

GW puts out some great product, yes it's expensive, but it's cause they focus on the super high quality miniatures that few in industry come close, especially any other board game manufacturer. CMON pumps a box full of crappy plastic figs, it's neat, but still the quality still doesn't touch what GW does.

As much as I love to blame GW, word on the street is pretty much it was actually FFG that kill the licensing deal because they want to move into making full fledge miniatures game like Runewars (which look like total garbage). After the merger with Asmodee they want to do more in house game like Arkham Horror and Runewars universe. Listening to several podcast and you can pick up on what people in the industry are saying that it was FFG that pretty much ended the licensing deal. After the merger with Asmodee, they stop work on many of the games that are in progress last year (like expansion for Forbiddden Stars - great game btw and Warhammer card game). If you pieces together posts and comments by designers that freelance for FFG, you sort of get the feel that FFG already knew they were not going to renew license with GW this year.

Game Workshop giant box full of miniatures is essentially miniature pack for their tabletop games. They are not board game company and I don't think they want to be. They just want to use board game as gateway for people to get into hobby miniature gaming. Also as Eskimo said, some of their boxed games especially recent one are actually really good.

So I'm playing with the idea of putting together a card game after how much I've been enjoying the co-op/solo and deckbuilding aspects of LotR LCG so much.

It would be set in the same universe of a failed video game Kickstarter I entirely created named Wotan (contemporary Norse mythology).

I'm mostly an artist so I'm unsure if I can make the card mechanics work (trying to fit a card game into a 'beat-em-up' level progression system). I have some ideas for randomized scenarios but nothing sound yet.

Should I find a collaborator or does anyone have suggestions on a good board game design philosophy?

zulux21

So I'm playing with the idea of putting together a card game after how much I've been enjoying the co-op/solo and deckbuilding aspects of LotR LCG so much.

It would be set in the same universe of a failed video game Kickstarter I entirely created named Wotan (contemporary Norse mythology).

I'm mostly an artist so I'm unsure if I can make the card mechanics work (trying to fit a card game into a 'beat-em-up' level progression system). I have some ideas for randomized scenarios but nothing sound yet.

Should I find a collaborator or does anyone have suggestions on a good board game design philosophy?

if you are going to be inspired by a game at least make sure to have an interesting grab.

Aeon's end - don't shuffle your deck
Clank - have a board to explore
xenodryft - waves of enemies to defend against
arkham horror card game - story campaign to play through

ect.

if you just make a game that is like the lord of the rings one without any extra draw it will likely be ignored as why would people want to play your game over lord of the rings? your art/theme might be solid, but it won't be a lord of the rings.

It would behoove you to reach out to people with game design experience but more importantly someone who knows about logistics and making deals with the factories in China.

Start going to game conventions with prototypes and meet other game designers and players who will help you develop and playtest your game. Kickstarter should be your second to last step, honestly.

Keasar

As much as I love to blame GW, word on the street is pretty much it was actually FFG that kill the licensing deal because they want to move into making full fledge miniatures game like Runewars (which look like total garbage). After the merger with Asmodee they want to do more in house game like Arkham Horror and Runewars universe. Listening to several podcast and you can pick up on what people in the industry are saying that it was FFG that pretty much ended the licensing deal. After the merger with Asmodee, they stop work on many of the games that are in progress last year (like expansion for Forbiddden Stars - great game btw and Warhammer card game). If you pieces together posts and comments by designers that freelance for FFG, you sort of get the feel that FFG already knew they were not going to renew license with GW this year.
Well that would make me then extra pissy. Dropping a license and therefore the development of some really great games so they could push their boring-looking miniature game, true loss for them.

There are some legitimately amazing games in that link. Selling "a big box of miniatures" is disingenuous.
Game Workshop giant box full of miniatures is essentially miniature pack for their tabletop games. They are not board game company and I don't think they want to be. They just want to use board game as gateway for people to get into hobby miniature gaming. Also as Eskimo said, some of their boxed games especially recent one are actually really good.
Will have to check them out then. I've only heard that the new Warhammer Quest is good (apart from that I dislike the Age of Sigmar reboot of the setting), but my experience overall with Games Workshop games is usually heavily-bloated rules for miniatures. Granted this has only been with WHFB, WH40K and Bloodbowl, so their strict miniature game lineup (though Blood Bowl acts more like a board game than the others). Will check the rest and see what people say of them.

chifanpoe

Time for me to be completely sold: 1 minute in.

It uses elements of The Great Zimbabwe and Glory to Rome (both that I love). I watched a several videos on it today. Looks like fun, best played with 4 and 4 who enjoy heavy logistics games. Rahdo had some good info on it when playing it with only 2 or 3 players. Looking forward to the live broadcast with Heavy Cardboard on youtube.

Blizzard

Banned
It uses elements of The Great Zimbabwe and Glory to Rome (both that I love). I watched a several videos on it today. Looks like fun, best played with 4 and 4 who enjoy heavy logistics games. Rahdo had some good info on it when playing it with only 2 or 3 players. Looking forward to the live broadcast with Heavy Cardboard on youtube.
The only downside to me is no solo mode, but with the auction mechanic and so forth I imagine that would be nearly impossible.

*edit* A solo mode is already planned and the rules PDF has already been posted in the FAQ. Nevermind, I'm now SUPER DUPER pumped instead of just super pumped.

Fou-Lu

Hearthstone is really good but it's only digital and can be pricey to be competitive out of the gates. Switching from Mtg feels like a step down but the game is really rewarding if you stick with it.

Other, real, card games I recommend would be Race for the Galaxy, Innovation, Shadowrun Crossfire, Ascension

I've done my time with digital card games, not really interested in them anymore.

Have you tried Netrunner?

I own the core set and attempted to play it a few times with a friend, but we found the rulebook very difficult to learn from and ended up dropping it.

Guess we got our answer too, they just announced another company is releasing Talisman board game. It appears that GW is not giving out an exclusive agreement to any publisher, and is dishing out licensing on a game by game basis possibly, like they do for their video game lines.

Guess we got our answer too, they just announced another company is releasing Talisman board game. It appears that GW is not giving out an exclusive agreement to any publisher, and is dishing out licensing on a game by game basis possibly, like they do for their video game lines.

Age of Sigmar themed Talisman no doubt.

Keasar

Maybe with a teeny tiny bit of luck we might see another company be put on developing those expansions for games like Forbidden Stars or Warhammer ACG?

Age of Sigmar themed Talisman no doubt.

From the announcement, its a straight reprint of 4th edition.

Maybe with a teeny tiny bit of luck we might see another company be put on developing those expansions for games like Forbidden Stars or Warhammer ACG?

Warhammer ACG's system is owned by another company, who are trying to kickstart their own themed version of the game but so far failing. They are trying to do a comedic fantasy take using the game system, which hasn't gone over well. Perhaps they could attempt to negotiate for the GW license to get the game going again, but I doubt they have the money to do so.

fenners

Warhammer ACG's system is owned by another company, who are trying to kickstart their own themed version of the game but so far failing. They are trying to do a comedic fantasy take using the game system, which hasn't gone over well. Perhaps they could attempt to negotiate for the GW license to get the game going again, but I doubt they have the money to do so.

They nixed the KS after its failure to launch well and have said they're going to try shopping the system around to publishers again for known IP, as it's clearer that's what folk want.

They nixed the KS after its failure to launch well and have said they're going to try shopping the system around to publishers again for known IP, as it's clearer that's what folk want.

Will be tough sell I think to find a publisher who is willing to pick up their game as well as license Warhammer to make the game come back.

fenners

Will be tough sell I think to find a publisher who is willing to pick up their game as well as license Warhammer to make the game come back.

Not for Warhammer. They're trying to find publishers to use the system for another undetermined IP - shopping it around as a rules system for the pub to put on whatever IP they want.

Played Spirit Island tonight, not sure how I felt about it. For a coop the game seems to have a weird difficulty curve where the first few turns overwhelm you but as you draft more powers and level up your character you eventually begin to steam roll. The game was really clunky and it took 2.5 hours between learning and playing the game though I imagine with experienced players the 90-120 minute box time is accurate. I like that it's a coop with some meat behind it, at the same time it could afford some element of stream lining to become truly special.

Also got my copies of arena of the planeswalkers, shadows over innistrad, and battle for zendikar. Game looks like a ton of fun I always wanted to play heroscape so a game that takes that mechanic and applies it to an ip my friends know is all good.

zulux21

Played Spirit Island tonight, not sure how I felt about it. For a coop the game seems to have a weird difficulty curve where the first few turns overwhelm you but as you draft more powers and level up your character you eventually begin to steam roll. The game was really clunky and it took 2.5 hours between learning and playing the game though I imagine with experienced players the 90-120 minute box time is accurate. I like that it's a coop with some meat behind it, at the same time it could afford some element of stream lining to become truly special.

Also got my copies of arena of the planeswalkers, shadows over innistrad, and battle for zendikar. Game looks like a ton of fun I always wanted to play heroscape so a game that takes that mechanic and applies it to an ip my friends know is all good.

I won't have my copy of spirit island until saturday so I am hoping that it is fun when I get to it.

I got this war of mine today. can't wait to be depressed :p

fenners

I got this war of mine today. can't wait to be depressed :p

Enjoy ;)

It's a well done game, I can't say I'm "enjoying" the stories & situations, but I dig it, if that makes sense. They've captured the videogame really well, and I'm glad I own it. But it's not a happy experience to play.

zulux21

Enjoy ;)

It's a well done game, I can't say I'm "enjoying" the stories & situations, but I dig it, if that makes sense. They've captured the videogame really well, and I'm glad I own it. But it's not a happy experience to play.

I can get it.
it's an interesting experience but it's not designed to be enjoyable, or fun. it's supposed to make you realize the horrors of war and make you think.

at some point I need to go through and make sure i got everything. the packing job was nice for shipping but a pain to make sure the expansions are all there lol.

if you are going to be inspired by a game at least make sure to have an interesting grab.

Aeon's end - don't shuffle your deck
Clank - have a board to explore
xenodryft - waves of enemies to defend against
arkham horror card game - story campaign to play through

ect.

if you just make a game that is like the lord of the rings one without any extra draw it will likely be ignored as why would people want to play your game over lord of the rings? your art/theme might be solid, but it won't be a lord of the rings.

It would behoove you to reach out to people with game design experience but more importantly someone who knows about logistics and making deals with the factories in China.

Start going to game conventions with prototypes and meet other game designers and players who will help you develop and playtest your game. Kickstarter should be your second to last step, honestly.

Thanks for the input. Those are a few details I wasn't even aware of. I'll develop it more and get feedback once I feel I have something tangible to prototype. I'm considering just making it an all digital game, but that has yet to be decided.

I played a long game of LotR LCG with a friend and it was a blast! So many times close to losing with huge turnarounds each time! Our decks are still lacking alot with a small number of filler cards, so I was surprised how well we got through it. I'll be picking up some adventure packs tomorrow I ordered to flesh out my trap deck better.

I saw Salt Lands recently and wanted to hear what people here think about it? I've been on an itch for more games I can solo play with good art & world building/atmosphere. I need to watch a playthrough of Mage Knight still since everyone here seems to unanimously like it.

Top Bottom