• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony saved the industry from a potential collapse. Disaster Averted

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am saying is that if Sony ''hypothetically'' adopted the same DRM policy, 24h check-ins, IP region locking policies that Microsoft took: the consumer backlash against both would have cause less people to buy console, less people to buy games = video-game console crash of 2014.

Nintendo has wedged themselves into a strange situation with the Wii-U to the point that they wouldn't be able the save us like they did when the NES (Famicom) saved us from the post E.T. Atari disaster

*thankfully, Sony did not opt to follow MS's policy = disaster averted

I think there would still be an edge for Sony with the lower price, no surveillance device, etc but yeah people would be upset

The Videogame crash of the 1980s was fundamentally different from the dangers the industry is in right now, so it's not quite right to compare the two.

Chinner

Banned
I think the stranger sensation is that this generation there's only really one competent console, with two duds. Not sure how that's going to play out really.

Not including PC, of course!

Why is an industry crash bad, save for the people that'll be losing jobs?

If an industry crash happens, it's because the market is actually doing its job and rejecting unwanted products. Considering the bloated big publishing nature of the industry right now, it wouldn't be entirely traumatic.

Nintendo saved us with the NES in 1985-86 from the crash left by Atari, Coleco, Intelivision.

But they are no longer in a position of strength to counter another console collapse

Hyperbole?

Don't be surprised if Xbox one sells more than PS4.

being only available in 21 countries with IP region locks? Even if you imported it into a non-supported country, it wouldn't function

eorl

Banned
This thread is going places. While Sony has definitely showed a lot of interest in the consumer rights (which were pretty standard before), they haven't necessarily "saved" the industry. We still have yet to see how well these next-gen consoles perform, and until then hold your breath I reckon.

Proelite

What if by not embracing DRM, Sony lead us to the crash of the industry? What if Microsoft is Guts and Sony is post-Golden Age Griffith?

I've been watching too much anime.

Delstius

What was the norm till nowadays is now a feature thanks to MS & Sony.
But sure yeah Sony just saved the world from a massive disaster.

Meanwhile Nintendo is too old school so... fuck them.

Makes sense.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves, they've still got to deliver.

this. Slow down cowboy.

besides, the industry was never going to crash. It was and still will contract and new business models will take over

You can argue Sony may have saved traditional console gaming, but A) Nintendo hasnt stop existing yet B) The 360 and PS3 havent been Discontinued and C) All we have is talk until we have the consoles and games in our hands.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I think the stranger sensation is that this generation there's only really one competent console, with two duds. Not sure how that's going to play out really.

Not including PC, of course!

Wellll there was the ps2 if you need to base it off anything.

If an industry crash does occur, it won't be from unattractive policy alone. People would accept the bad aspects of a product if they found it appealing as a whole.

Case in point: PS4's PS+ mandatory requirement.

Silky

Banned
hyperbowl-logo-banner-scaled-512x512.png

Gadirok

Sony didn't save the industry or anything. Microsoft is just the one trying to write the industry their own way.

I honestly am glad that Sony is not following MS but mark my words, if the general mainstream audience and gamers vote with their wallets with Xbox one and its the most successful, you can bet your asses that DRM will spread to PS5 and the next Nintendo gen console.

The paywall from PS+ is a direct result of this in my opinion. Sony probably planned to implement it a long time ago but eased in the hardcore gamers by giving away a heavy stream of free games since last year with the IGC. Much better than the 360 and Live but I still dislike the paywall for online.

I'll buy the WiiU, PS4, hell even the Ouya but I will never purchase an xbox one unless they fix their policies. I still don't believe a company is stupid enough to roll out like this, and even more insane are the people who say they don't care about DRM and will buy an xbox one anyways. These are the kind of people who attribute to the problem.

I wish the best success for WiiU and PS4 for this new generation.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
The backlash against Microsoft is so large because they are the only ones adopting such anti consumer policies.

If both MS and Sony did it there would be hatred but no where near as much.

The industry could still collapse if developers keep spending $100 million on B-Tier francises that they have to sell 10 million copies of to make a profit.

Slime

Banned
Hyperbole much?

That said, if they had done the opposite, used game DRM and always-on would have likely become the norm. Thank goodness they came out so strongly against it.

BlackJace

Also, I was cheering when they made the announcement, but is all the praise really deserved? I don't think we should be acting as though they did us a favor. They did what they were supposed to.

I'm not throwing my son a party because he cleaned the dishes. It's something expected of him.

Cbajd5

So they somehow made games not be failures when they sell only a few million copies?

DRM isn't what's killing companies, games, and stagnating the industry after all. Having ridiculous budgets and sales expectations for games is.

A crash is still very possible and likely.

nintendo will be fine

I agree with the OP. Microsoft paved the way for a crash to happen. There's no way that policy will fly come this holiday. The crash was one of the things I was very afraid of.

Watashiwa

So they somehow made games not be failures when they sell only a few million copies?

DRM isn't what's killing companies, games, and stagnating the industry after all. Having ridiculous budgets and sales expectations for games is.

A crash is still very possible and likely.

nintendo will be fine

Ding ding ding.

fart town usa

Gold Member
But...Nintendo also didn't follow Microsoft's terms.

Nintendo, save for the success of the Wii, isn't a good indicator of where gaming is heading.

The Wii is the best example, it sold gang busters and motion controls are essentially dead to most people. Kinect is the reason the Xbox One costs 500 and most people aren't happy with that.

OT,

I think it's completely valid to give Sony some credit for maintaining the integrity and classic expectations when buying a videogame console.

Also, the heavy focus on indie titles for the PS4 could do so much for videogames. I think alot of people don't see the possibilities for the growth and expansion of small development teams, teams that could very well be big players in the future.

Valve anyone???

MercuryLS

Banned
If Sony did what MS did, I would have gone back to PC gaming (begrudgingly). I really love console gaming, so thanks Sony for not killing it for me.

Tripolygon

Banned
being only available in 21 countries with IP region locks? Even if you imported it into a non-supported country, it wouldn't function

Xbox one is going to be sold in the major markets and I'm pretty sure Microsoft has determined what markets Xbox 360 sold well in and where money was made through XLive so they are focusing on those people. There answer to people who don't have robust internet is "get an Xbox 360" makes it pretty clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom