• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm going to become a father today! • Maybe tomorrow morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnjtony

The Dash likes?

Dashiell can either be a super kickass name or a very damaging name. There's no middle ground here man. Cross your fingers!

Oh and that's a pretty good sized kid! Sounds healthy.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Congratulations!
113.gif

And Dash? Pretty unique name!

draven

Congrats! I have a 7-month old daughter to which I'm essentially a single dad (my wife is a resident working 80 hours a week). Hardest but most rewarding endeavor you'll ever have.

Tip for the new dad: everyone talks about the poop hazards. What they don't talk about is the spit-up, which in my opinion smells worse and happens almost without warning. Always know where your towel is when you're carrying her.

DarienA said:
This will change your life. Seriously.

You will contemplate killing people to protect your child. Seriously. That's what your love of your new child will do.

Congrats.

EDIT: Hell I'd kill any of you here right now if you had put my daughter's life in danger...

Absolutely, and it'd behoove all of you to remember that.... >:|

EDIT: Oh, and before you leave the hospital make sure to learn how to swaddle from the nurses. When your baby gets colicky in the middle of the night, swaddling and rocking works wonders.

Sumidor

Captain N said:
He was born at 4:17 A.M. Weighing in at 8.14 pounds and is 22 inches! His name is Dashiell David Rowe Becker. We're going to call him Dash.

He better be one fast kid..

Congrats!

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Dash? That is a pretty badass name. Congratulations man!

Zenith

Banned
Captain N said:
He was born at 4:17 A.M. Weighing in at 8.14 pounds and is 22 inches! His name is Dashiell David Rowe Becker. We're going to call him Dash.

"Where's Dash? He must not have made it out of the Skyhook before it blew."

Karakand

OP can deny it all he wants but the facts are pretty damning.

1. I was the first to advocate the name on GAF. (Possibly the only, I seem to remember a lot of hating on it in that thread.)
2. The child was given the name I advocated.

Vinci

Danish
Naming the kid after Dash in The Incredibles makes you an awesome father with great taste. Congratulations once again.

Congrats!

draven said:
Congrats! I have a 7-month old daughter to which I'm essentially a single dad (my wife is a resident working 80 hours a week). Hardest but most rewarding endeavor you'll ever have.

Tip for the new dad: everyone talks about the poop hazards. What they don't talk about is the spit-up, which in my opinion smells worse and happens almost without warning. Always know where your towel is when you're carrying her.

Absolutely, and it'd behoove all of you to remember that.... >:|

EDIT: Oh, and before you leave the hospital make sure to learn how to swaddle from the nurses. When your baby gets colicky in the middle of the night, swaddling and rocking works wonders.

Also, take some of the receiving blankets from the hospital. The ones they sell at the stores aren't big enough to swaddle well. The hospital ones are nice and big and grip well.

Grab some diapers too. Also swipe the whole supply of gauze and ointment packs too (if circumcised) they usually have a ton and will replenish them if you run low while at the hospital, so get enough to last you the first week when you have to care for the cut penis. Oh, and the green gummy pacifier. They're just going to throw it away anyway...tell them you lost the first one so you have a spare.

TiVo

Never had kids but I helped granny raise a few.

Don't talk to 'em in baby talk. Talk like a normal person they understand.

No matter how much they cry don't pick them up unless they are hungry or need to be changed. You spoil them and they realize if I cry I will get picked up.

When they are quiet they are up do something. Drinking toilet water, pouring your cologne all over themselves, sticking objects in light sockets, etc. I was in the same room with my nephew sitting a few feet from me and he had my space heater with he cord wrapped around the chair I was sitting in & my video game discs out of the case spread all over the floor.

Baby proof your house. That flat screen looks nice but you don't want it toppling onto your child. Same for book shelves, etc.

TiVo said:
Never had kids but I helped granny raise a few.

Don't talk to 'em in baby talk. Talk like a normal person they understand.

No matter how much they cry don't pick them up unless they are hungry or need to be changed. You spoil them and they realize if I cry I will get picked up.
When they are quiet they are up do something. Drinking toilet water, pouring your cologne all over themselves, sticking objects in light sockets, etc. I was in the same room with my nephew sitting a few feet from me and he had my space heater with he cord wrapped around the chair I was sitting in & my video game discs out of the case spread all over the floor.

Baby proof your house. That flat screen looks nice but you don't want it toppling onto your child. Same for book shelves, etc.

That's cold man. Babies need love, and you can't spoil them enough. Yes, at some point you may have to battle the fake cry to get what they want thing, but that just means that some how they're needs aren't being met. Food and a clean diaper aren't their only needs in life, sometimes they just want to be held.

Captain N

Karakand said:
:lol :lol :lol Thanks for the new tag.

Awesome Tag.

Truth be told my wife had a notebook full of Names she wanted. She posts on a baby name message board and reads name of the day blogs.

DDRBecker is pretty sweet.

We almost named him James Cobalt Cloud Becker.

Karakand

ninj4junpei said:
Is GAFfer correct? I've always referred to us as GAFers.
I use GAFer myself.

OP I hate hate hate hate hate baby Mario after playing Yoshi's Island but that blanket is too awesome.

draven

Awesome Baby Mario blanket... Reminds me of trying to get a plush companion cube into my daughter's crib (damn SIDS risk...)

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Congratulations. :)

Get some sleep - you'll need it (and miss it) during the next bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom