• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 browser - Yay or nay

Peterthumpa

So, just read some reviews and the consensus is that it isn't much better than the PS3 browser, something which I find really hard to believe when we're talking about a completely different architecture and much better hardware. I don't think that it's fair to compare it to desktop browsers, but how does it fare against other offerings like Wii U's browser (which performs awesomely IMO) and tablet/smartphone browsers?

BZIH5rGIYAEn6gV.jpg:orig

I haven't used it, but it doesn't look so good. No flash support for one thing. A guy on the Gamespot stream tried viewing a Youtube video through the browser and it didn't work. That seems bad to me.

ckohler

Needs improvement. I went to YouTube and nothing would play. Pages load fine but scrolling is kinda sputters. I wouldn't mind an option to set the viewport size so mobile sites look better. You can zoom but it resets the zoom level on every new page load. You can't use the touchpad to control the cursor.

zruben

Banned
I haven't used it, but it doesn't look so good. No flash support for one thing. A guy on the Gamespot stream tried viewing a Youtube video through the browser and it didn't work. That seems bad to me.

well, to be fair, Youtube it's fucking everything...

browsing Youtube on the WiiU used to be godlike... now it freaking crashes my WiiU

Remember they said that gaming is their main focus. So I wouldn't of expect much.

Sony's PR doesn't infer that browser will be a certain amount better or worse. The Wii U browser is awesome and they're not marketing a media box.

E: YouTube's in flux right now too. So it's hard to benchmark that.

VNZ

Both the PS4 and Wii U browsers are WebKit-based, so they should perform pretty great regardless how much of a focus it is for the platform.

DOA
(for me)

If XB1s INTERNET EXPLORER also doesn't support flash, I'm going to flip all of the tables.

All browsers need to support everything. You can't just lock people away from certain parts of internet via no compatibility (Windows RT not supporting MICROSOFT Silverlight video?? JackieChanWTF?!?!.jpg)

ShdwDrake

Banned
DOA
(for me)

If XB1s INTERNET EXPLORER also doesn't support flash, I'm going to flip all of the tables.

All browsers need to support everything. You can't just lock people away from certain parts of internet via no compatibility (Windows RT not supporting MICROSOFT Silverlight video?? JackieChanWTF?!?!.jpg)

It wont.

Steel

Banned
DOA
(for me)

I doubt it will. Adobe basically stopped making flash for new devices a long time ago for example.

Dany

Banned
Flash is just too unstable and such a hog. I can browse my ipad which has no flash and never come across an issue where i needed it.

11redder

Did he try switching to html5? Likely not and that's probably the issue (I don't have a PS4, I'm just guessing).

Nymphae

Banned
Who gives a shit? Don't most of us have computers, phones or tablets? I know a few people will chime in here and say they use it all the time, but I'm honestly surprised they even bother making a browser for a console.

Majine

Banned
How come they don't ask Google to bring Chrome over or something? Would most definitely be a better browser.

Bungie

Sony's PR doesn't infer that browser will be a certain amount better or worse. The Wii U browser is awesome and they're not marketing a media box.

E: YouTube's in flux right now too. So it's hard to benchmark that.
My point, they didn't talk about these type of things hardly at all, which leads me not to expect much personally. Not saying it can't get better or anything.

Overall I was hoping it to surprise us like the Wii U browser did but oh well, makes me happy I still got a Xbox One on the way. :]

Top Bottom