• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Videogame facts that blow your mind (SuperMarioBros. SHOCKING SECRET INSIDE p #70)

Utako

Banned
This is a great thread. That Banjo and fireplace thing is cool and omg Starfox D:

Anywayz: I don't ever really get mindblown but I just got mindblowned when I figured this out. Everyone else may already know about it but I didn't and it was pretty cool when I got it.

In Super Mario 3D Land you fight Bowser imposters who turn out to really be Goombas (and maybe Hammer Bros. as well? i forgot) before you fight the real Bowser.

I was just playing Super Mario Bros. on my 3DS and its been years since I played and forgot lots of stuff. Using the save state feature I got through it while keeping shooters (I know I suck at games nowadays.) and kept thinking it was odd whenever I killed Bowser in each castle he would fall down as a hammer bro or a blooper.

Then it hit me. These were Bowser imposters aswell! Meaning you don't actually fight Bowser until World 8-4

:O :O :O

Totally blew my mind. I don't think I've seen Bowser dieing as other characters in any other game (tho it might happen in lost levels since its similer and I can never get shooters when I get to him) that means Nintendo took something that was only in the first (maybe second like I said) Mario game and made it into 3D Land.

Wow. Thats pretty cool. I never realized that you weren't actually fighting Bowser.

I really hope I'm the first to discover this and don't get laughed at lol.

Edit: That Yoshi's Island easter egg on page 100 is awsome :O I am literally reading everything in this thread now lol.

I don't want to send you into seizures, but another minblower: Mario's cap … is red. :O

Platy

I think there was a video showing most of these commemorations.

Any chance of finding this and posting ?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but... this is quite a common knowledge. I'd wager an average person met on the street would say that they've noticed it (if they played it). Sorry :(

....average person on the street ? No way
MAYBE the average neogaf user, maybe ... but no way an average person on the street =P

Just saw this on Reddit. It works.

xUk7O.jpg

I LOL'ed

Don't know if anyone posted this

3DS_KidIcarus_7_scrn11_E3.bmp

Which is a reference to

images

Metroids and Kid Icarus in the same universe? Maybe Kid Icarus is thousands of years before Metroid...

Darklord

Banned
I was playing batman arkham city yesterday and joker made an awesome reference to lost. Posting from my phone, so I can't provide the link, but its quite spoilerish to both the game and the show.

Is just a quote actually:
how come everything ends in a church?

I knew it! I've never seen lost but I had a strong feeling that was a stab at it.

Lol figured it was common knowledge but it still blown my mind. So many hidden things in Mario games.

Upto page 20 of this thread...I think I'm gonna read it all....so many mindblowing things. The clefairy gym and the cloudbushes (tho I knew that from reading this thread a few months ago.) This is such a awsome thread.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Doesn't Kid Icarus Uprising have Space Pirates, too?

They look a bit different from the Metroid ones, but I assume that's the intended reference. Makes me wish they could include an aerial battle with Ridley as a secret boss.

I apologize in advance if nobody finds this mindblowing. Heck, it was probably already posted before, and even if not, I know how the internet feels about L.A. Noire...

The other day I was watching The Dark Knight again, and I swore that I recognized one of the cops.

The guy who kneels over Comissioner Gordon:

kqKnd.jpg

And later picks a fight with the wrong clown:

spD10.jpg

He's got a few lines throughout the movie too, and he sounded really familiar.

Then it dawned on me who it was, and I looked him up. It's Keith Szarabajka, also known as your partner Biggs from L.A. Noire!

BTf0M.png

I guess I just thought it was really cool that I recognized a live actor based on his appearance in a video game. That face tech was really something else.

Of course, Lord Denethor from Lord of the Rings was also in Noire:

RkmOG.png

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

Jarsonot

Am I missing a joke, or something? Why haven't you guys watched the show yet? It's been 3 years.

I haven't watched it yet. I probably haven't watched more shows than I have watched.

If it has been 3 years I think the spoiler is a little more understandable, but I think the classy move may be to spoiler tag it anyway, as I just stopped in to see some new mindblowing fact and was spoiled to the ending of a lengthy show.

I'm not sure the shelf-date on these things, but yeah, Goofus spoils things for others, Gallant uses spoiler tags. (highlights for children reference, if that lefta ya confused)

morningbus

I haven't watched it yet. I probably haven't watched more shows than I have watched.

If it has been 3 years I think the spoiler is a little more understandable, but I think the classy move may be to spoiler tag it anyway, as I just stopped in to see some new mindblowing fact and was spoiled to the ending of a lengthy show.

I'm not sure the shelf-date on these things, but yeah, Goofus spoils things for others, Gallant uses spoiler tags. (highlights for children reference, if that lefta ya confused)

I totally sympathize and understand not wanting to be spoiled. I hate when it happens to me, too.

But let's be honest here: if you haven't gotten around to watching something within 3 years of it it ending, you were probably never going to get around to doing it. I'm not sure of the shelf life of these kinds of things either, but 3 years is definitely beyond it.

jarosh

I totally sympathize and understand not wanting to be spoiled. I hate when it happens to me, too.

But let's be honest here: if you haven't gotten around to watching something within 3 years of it it ending, you were probably never going to get around to doing it. I'm not sure of the shelf life of these kinds of things either, but 3 years is definitely beyond it.

oh i've watched the show. but this has to be the most ludicrous thing i've read in a while.

now, would you kindly list all the movies and tv shows you haven't seen that are older than 3 years so i may proceed to spoil them for you? thanks.

Vlad

oh i've watched the show. but this has to be the most ludicrous thing i've read in a while.

now, would you kindly list all the movies and tv shows you haven't seen that are older than 3 years so i may proceed to spoil them for you? thanks.

This.

If it's out of the context of a thread, then it should always be spoiler tagged.

morningbus

Go ahead and spoil Paul Blart: Mall Cop. I dare you.

Look, I see the point you're making, and I'll answer honestly: I've seen everything from three years ago that I wanted to see. You'd have to spoil stuff I didn't even know I wanted to see. And, if you did, I wouldn't even be mad about it. I didn't even know I wanted to watch it.

Even if I did and was putting it off for some reason, I had three years to watch it. My life can be busy sometimes, but if I cared about watching Battlestar enough that I'd be angry over some guy casually mentioning a significant plot point, I'd have found the time to average 2 episodes a month over the last three years.

When does it become the responsibility of the other person? Can I not bring up
Aeris' death
either?

Vlad

Aeris' death
either?

A lot of people, myself included, simply don't have the time to watch all the movies and tv shows they'd like to immediately. On top of all the shows currently airing that I watch, there's plenty that I've been meaning to check out, such as The Wire, Burn Notice, and even Battlestar Galactica.

Now sure, some things have been so completely spoiled as to become common knowledge, such as the spoiler I quoted above (although FYI, a proper spoiler should have some indication of its contents outside the tags, like "Can I not bring up (FFVII spoiler)
Aeris' Death
, either?"). The most common example along those lines is Citizen Kane. It's pretty much a given that most people know what Rosebud is, even if they haven't seen the movie.

There is no responsibility that falls on the "other person" in this case, it falls entirely on the poster to use spoiler tags responsibly.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Whelp, here I am mid third season of BSG and look at this. Cool stuff. Glad I entered this thread!

i never finished BSG but if you weren't starting to catch on by the end of the 2nd season how the show was going to end you were not paying very much attention.

bengraven

I already had the BSG thing spoiled in another thread years ago. Same situation. :/ And this was only a few months after BSG came out.

that said, I sympathize with people who for whatever reason are waiting to watch something. I still need to finish season 4 of BSG and I still need to watch quite a few shows that I'll eventually get around to.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Look, I see the point you're making, and I'll answer honestly: I've seen everything from three years ago that I wanted to see. You'd have to spoil stuff I didn't even know I wanted to see. And, if you did, I wouldn't even be mad about it. I didn't even know I wanted to watch it.

Even if I did and was putting it off for some reason, I had three years to watch it. My life can be busy sometimes, but if I cared about watching Battlestar enough that I'd be angry over some guy casually mentioning a significant plot point, I'd have found the time to average 2 episodes a month over the last three years.

Agreed. Spoilerphobia over years-old stuff is really weird. If I care, I make sure to watch/read something in a timely manner so as to avoid the inevitable internet spoilers. It's just the nature of the online beast.

Roto13

Pretty much. Anything I really don't want spoiled, I watch as soon as possible. Like The Walking Dead or Lost. Both shows I really, really didn't want spoiled so I watched them as they aired.

I'm planning on watching that Spartacus series someday, but I don't care about spoilers too much so I'm not watching it right now. :p

Jarsonot

I too agree on a Statute of Limitations on spoilers.

I do and I don't. =)

Take the movie Sixth Sense, for example. That movie is far less enjoyable the first time you see it if you know the ending. It's a great moment.

Now that is a pretty old movie by now, and maybe most people "should have seen it" already, but I'll bet there are plenty of people who haven't, so why would I want to spoil the ending?

Maybe instead of a statute of limitations it should be some measurement of how pervasive the spoiler in question already is. I don't think it's a spoiler to say (star wars)
Vader is Luke's dad
because that is so well known in pop culture.

I dunno.

jarosh

Aeris' death
either?

your argument only makes (the tiniest amount of) sense if everyone in the world was only interested in movies, tv shows and books in the most superficial way possible, only caring about the handful of big budget, over-hyped and over-marketed releases every year. or, taking it one step further, did movies and books not exist before you were born? or are those all fair game? or, wait, let me quote you again here:

morningbus said:

right, so, if there were a century worth of cinema to be interested in and movies did exist before you were born, you'd "have found the time" to watch - let's be conservative here - 1000 movies before, what, the age of 3? or let's be reasonable and extend it to the age of 18? and then let's throw books into the mix... thousands of years of writing: fair game! or alternatively: if you "cared" enough you'd have read all of them before anyone had "the chance to spoil them for you"! LOL!

or can you not fathom that people are interested in more things than they can possibly read/watch/do in a lifetime?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
or can you not fathom that people are interested in more things than they can possibly read/watch/do in a lifetime?

People can be interested in as many things as there are stars in the sky, and those things can be as old as said stars, but it's unrealistic and naive to expect something that might be general knowledge to a significant portion of the populace for years to continue to be treated as a secret.

Some films/books/works are so famous specifically for their twists that they have seeped into the mainstream cultural consciousness to such a degree that most people know them even if they've never seen the work, but that's a very small number of titles. Citizen Kane, Empire Strikes Back, Crying Game, Sixth Sense, Psycho all probably qualify, but it's obvious the vast majority of works that are even decades old are not like that. Most people don't know the ends of most Agatha Christie novels and they're a century old, so yes, you can't assume that everyone who wants to read them already has. So I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to use spoiler tags for works that haven't reached that level of cultural consciousness. Really, is typing [ spoiler] [ /spoiler] really that much work?

Luckily, the mods agree with me:
When not to use spoilers
If a thread is specifically marked as post-game discussion, and spoilers are warned about in the title, there is no need to use spoiler tags regarding that topic inside the thread. There is no point having an entire thread filled with black bars if everyone is on the same page regarding what is expected in the thread. The same applies for threads about the sequels of existing games. If you have not played the previous game(s) in the series, it is probably not a good idea to wander into a thread about the latest game, especially if it is a direct sequel to a story-driven game. [Note: nothing there about the age of the work, and it's specifically restricted to threads about a specific work/series]

Mark spoilers appropriately
When posting spoilers about anything, always mark it properly. Using a spoiler tag alone is often not the best way because no one will know what you have hidden behind the tag without reading it first. Using proper marking can make it very helpful for others to know if they want to highlight the spoiler tag or not. Mixing spoiler tags with regular text in a single sentence is also often a bad idea when dealing with a story spoiler, especially if it makes it obvious.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
I do and I don't. =)

Take the movie Sixth Sense, for example. That movie is far less enjoyable the first time you see it if you know the ending. It's a great moment.

Fun fact: In China The Sixth Sense was named
He's a Ghost
. China simply don't give a fuck.

Funnier fact: that previous fact might have actually been made up. I don't know. That's what I get for trusting Reddit, I guess.

Top Bottom