• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army salaries per country

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was bored and made this and find it quite interesting:

YHRwm.png

(Feel free to give me the salary for the N/A one if you know them)

I know people in the armed forces are taken care of even with the relatively low salaries they earn (free healthcare, housing, etc) , but GODDAMN. I'd rather have the government reallocate wasteful defense spending towards increasing the salaries of everyone in the armed forces.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Fraull said:
Damn Canada pays well. Surprised an American soldier gets paid so little.
Our Army is pretty big, so I doubt we could pay everyone top dollar. captains and Majors are the only ones making single-male living wage. I'm sure they get benefits though: healthcare, housing, food, etc.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Cereal KiIIer said:
*Bonuses like housing and food are not included.

Regardless....commissioned officers make pretty high pay in the Army. I'm not 100% correct, but this data seems incorrect.

clip said:
Where did you get that data? It's very very wrong for U.S. pay.

Goarmy.com and I deducted what the US Army consider like a healthcare bonus since all the other country (except india) have universal health care.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Jason's Ultimatum said:
I know people in the armed forces are taken care of even with the relatively low salaries they earn (free healthcare, housing, etc) , but GODDAMN. I'd rather have the government reallocate wasteful defense spending towards increasing the salaries of everyone in the armed forces.

I would too!

I could really use a new car, yo. :lol

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Fraull said:
Damn Canada pays well. Surprised an American soldier gets paid so little.

There's a lot of soft benefits in military pay. I'd say when I was in, my base way was about half of my total compensation, figuring everything in.

Retrocide

Cereal KiIIer said:
Goarmy.com and I deducted what the US Army consider like a healthcare bonus since all the other country (except india) have universal health care.

How can you deduct for health care since that website didn't add in benefits like healthcare in their calculations
Chart reflects Basic Pay only and does not include bonuses, allowances and other benefits. Learn about total Army compensation.

Zozz

Banned
arstal said:
There's a lot of soft benefits in military pay. I'd say when I was in, my base way was about half of my total compensation, figuring everything in.
Yea, like getting pulled over for speeding, cops say god bless and let you off.

Retrocide said:
How can you deduct for health care since that website didn't add in benefits like healthcare in their calculations

They say that the health care as a value of 12 000$. I deducted 12 000$ because the other country don't use this factor in the fixation of the salary. It is taken on their taxes, not the salary.

Also every country adds bonuses for housing, food, education like the US army. These are standard salary before bonuses.

Military discounts at the movies, it adds up :D

Cereal KiIIer said:
They say that the health care as a value of 12 000$. I deducted 12 000$ because the other country don't use this factor in the fixation of the salary.

Also every country adds bonuses for housing, food, education like the US army. These are standard salary before bonuses.

Err the health care value is about that much potentially, but still not included in the salary listed. You should not have deducted

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Zozz said:
Yea, like getting pulled over for speeding, cops say god bless and let you off.

Oh, there are plenty of cops who are either a) pissed because they failed at a military career b) pissed because 'those damn army/Marine/sailors/airmen are always fucking up OUR town' or c) just plain don't like anybody.

Military pay is very low, in actual dollars, but it really does even out with all the added benefits. But we sure as hell earn every red cent, too.

anonnumber6 said:
Are those US figures right? The top ranks don't seem to get paid that much unless I'm over-estimating a good salary in the US.

From what I could gather they get pretty good housing bonuses (enough to afford big houses) and a lot of money for food and other things.

But then so do the other countries... That's why I could not include bonuses since every country has some and the equation to calculate them is not available.

It's misleading to make such a table with a USD currency for all countries. For example, the living costs here in the United Kingdom - especially in places like London - is very high, not to mention the value of the £/$. So just because you see a bigger figure doesn't necessarily mean soldiers in that country have more disposal income than another.

The UK soldier, from that table, earns around £17k which is the baseline for most graduate earnings. If he lives in a city, its a tight budget.

JBaird

Banned
You can't really compare the Salaries though with simplistic conversions. You have to take into account the Cost of living per country to get an accurate view of how much the individual is actually making.

JBaird said:
You can't really compare the Salaries though with simplistic conversions. You have to take into account the Cost of living per country to get an accurate view of how much the individual is actually making.

All countries except India have about the same cost of living. They are all members of the G6 except Australia which still have about the same cost of living as the others.

Hari Seldon

You should not subtract the health care cost from the US. While the rest of the countries (except india) have roughly the same benefits, the US gets the extra health care benefit that the others don't get (cause they already have it). Therefore this is an extra benefit and should be included in the salary total since it is not part of the "roughly comparable benefits".

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
JBaird said:
Which makes it more BS to take 12k out of all the US pays. Its one thing to compair "How much you get paid gross" across the board, but then to make random duductions...

Foil

MrHicks said:
the hell does canada need an army for?
waste of recources

Waste of resources my ass. Our military should be getting far more funding and resources, not less. Try again.

canova said:
Canadian army has it easy :lol

Let's drop you over there and see how you do. Then you can see how "easy" it is.

Cereal KiIIer said:

Shouldn't it still be about based pay? Health care is free in the US military and shouldn't be added. E1's should be making around 16k a year, not 29k. It's also a little misleading since allowances and bonuses aren't being included, which adds a significant amount to the salary.

Masta_Killah said:
Shouldn't it still be about based pay? Health care is free in the US military and shouldn't be added. E1's should be making around 16k a year, not 29k. It's also a little misleading since allowances and bonuses aren't being included, which adds a significant amount to the salary.

The reason I did not add bonuses is because every country (except india) gives them to their soldiers. If I add them to the US salaries, then I would need to do it with every other countries and they give about the same in bonuses.

koam said:
I make more than a US Colonel surfing GAF all day.

That may be true, but the US Colonel probably doesn't have to pay out of his pocket for housing, healthcare, etc.. There are also bonuses and allowances which get added on(iirc, tax free) to the base pay.

Cereal KiIIer said:
The reason I did not add bonuses is because every country (except india) gives them to their soldiers. If I add them to the US salaries, then I would need to do it with every other countries and they give about the same in bonuses.

I understand, but the title should be really called Base Salary, since that's what you were trying to show in the chart. The true salary of a soldier is far more then their base.

LQX

The pay may be low but they get crazy benefits. Back in the day when my brother joined up he got money towards paying his rent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom