• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Hi friends, I'm not actually sure where to post this. I got an opportunity to speak at GDC, so I'm looking to sell my spare GDC Expo pass for 200 (currently goes for 250 on the website).

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Finally got a place... Not really the one I wanted, but it is just 15-20 mins away from work. Moving over on the 1st. 🙈

It's a one bedroom. Rent is $1,850, but one month is free, so it's actually about $1,700 a month if I space it out. Decent price, since all the comparable places were at least $1,950.

Now I need to pack and prepare for that 7-hour drive.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Anyone else see this?

Hi all,

This is an urgent and important message, so I'll keep it short. If you're in a hurry, please read and retweet this message.

If you have family or friends in northern or central California—please get in touch with them on Monday morning, or sooner. The seriousness of the potential flood that is inbound on Monday and Tuesday cannot be overstated.

I just got off the phone with a NWS meteorologist at the Sacramento office, Bill Rasch, and he said they are increasingly concerned about the potential for the incoming atmospheric river to cause substantial or even historic flooding with little immediate notice. They are urging people to prepare to evacuate with less than 15 minutes warning, and expecting flooding in places that haven't flooded in "many years." As far as the this sort of dire wording, they have tentative plans to "take it up a notch" tomorrow—this is the real deal, a situation that likely hasn't hit California in decades, or maybe much longer.

Tinyletter

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else see this?

Tinyletter

Wow yeah I heard that rather than the usual emergency notification of "flash flooding" (which doesn't always hit the whole Bay, but some parts are way more susceptible than others), there was a risk of "major flooding". This is pretty scary. I work pretty close to home, so it shouldn't be too bad to head back out. My areas usually irrigates pretty well, so I am lucky there, but my work itself is close to the actual bay, so depending on if that floods...

I sometimes forget that most businesses all along the bay itself, were once actual water. Them gold diggers trying to create more land! Building on top of once wetlands isn't always a good idea >_>

I'm moving to the Bay area from SoCal soon and thought I'd ask if people have suggestions for where to live.

I've accepted a job in the financial district, and so far it looks like the city is too expensive. The nicer areas of Berkeley and Oakland are also a little pricy, so my wife and I have been looking at towns farther away that have BART access.

We've totally fallen in love with Lafayette, it's more reasonably priced and is a really cool little town. Everyone is super friendly, there's easy access to groceries and restaurants, Walnut Creek is very close by and has a movie theater, more restaurants, and shopping, and the city looks to be about a half hour away by BART.

Just curious if there's any places we should check out. Everyone we know was really excited for us to see Alameda but we weren't impressed, it's more expensive than Lafayette and seems almost run down in comparison, obviously not a bad area but Lafayette is really charming with all the brick buildings and stuff. In comparison Alameda sort of just looks like everything could use a fresh coat paint (I will say the housing in Alameda is really cool, it's just the businesses on the main strip that didn't seem as nice).

Max we can spend on rent is about $3,000/ month, and we'd really like to get 2 bedrooms.

GamerJM

Banned
I'm such an idiot, I put all of my clothes in the laundry, then left my apartment to get lunch.....only to not realize how heavy it was raining. I still went to get it in a T-shirt and shorts and was soaking the whole way lmao.

16807106_10212354098707997_7999286117750309159_n.jpg

16864486_10212354100388039_2068290244689562454_n.jpg

16649208_10212354100308037_865634026804376060_n.jpg

16807610_10212354100268036_2786369938433098459_n.jpg

Commuters on Highway 17 literally bringing chainsaws to deal with this storm.

Vietnamese Billionaire donates $5 million to the flood victims.

Hoang, a Vietnamese-American billionaire from Southern California, rode into San Jose this week and dropped five million bucks on the community as it tries to recover from last week's dramatic floods east of downtown. But unless you're tied into the wealthy Vietnamese community, or you're an aficionado of top-shelf SoCal sushi, or you're involved in the business of selling blood (Hoang owns Shanghai RAAS Blood Products), then this heroic entrepreneur is a complete mystery to you.

Let's fix that, shall we? Here are a few things you might want to know about the guy who came to San Jose's rescue:

1. He's 73 years old and emigrated to the United States in 1973 at the age of 31 after the war ended.

2. He got his first job in this country, earning a buck-and-a-quarter-an-hour, through a connection at the church that sponsored his family's move to America.

3. After rising through the ranks at Abbott Reference Laboratories, he founded Rare Antibody Antigen Supply in 1980 and Shanghai RAAS Blood Products in 1992.

4. He says he wants to cure cancer and solve homelessness.

5. He first spoke on the phone with San Jose Mayor Sam Liccardo and offered to donate $2 million to help people affected by the flooding. But he quickly upped that to $5 million and — BAM! — wrote out a check.

6. Touring the Rock Springs neighborhood with the mayor and media, he wore a bright-white jacket and a wildly ornate pair of trousers.

7. Forbes says his company is headquartered in Shanghai and engages in the research, development and manufacture of blood products and plasma-derived medical products. ”It also offers vaccines, diagnostic reagents, and testing equipment and services," according to the magazine.

8. Wikipedia says he was born in Triệu Phong, Quảng Trị Province, on the north-central coast of Vietnam, and now owns 37 percent of the blood company, which is traded on the Shenzhen Stock Exchange under the stock symbol SHE.

9. He debuted on the 2014 Forbes Billionaires List with a net worth of $3.8 billion.

10.With a market cap of $15.8 billion, his company last year ranked No. 16 on Forbes' list of The World's Most Innovative Companies.

11. In 2014 he bought a winery and vineyards from the Mondavi estate in Napa Valley; it's now known as Kieu Hoang Winery.

12. The following year, he paid $33 million for Hummingbird Nest Ranch in Simi Valley.

13. He's reportedly turning the 126-acre estate, which has served as a backdrop for episodes of True Detective and Entourage, into a wellness center, while keeping portions of the property for weddings and Hollywood productions.

14. He's listed in media reports as the head of Agoura Hills-based Rass Nutritionals.

15. Last year, he opened up Q Sushi & Kieu Hoang Wine Lounge in the Shoppes at Westlake Village.

16. At the restaurant's opening, he joined Mayor Brad Halpern and Mireia Lalaguna of Spain, the reigning Miss World, to celebrate.

17. His upscale sushi joint features sashimi pizza and Japanese Wagyu beef along with craft cocktails and high-end wines from Napa Valley.

18. And, yes, he serves his own wine at Q Sushi, available by the glass ($12-$20) and bottle ($40-$70).

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
That wind last now... wow of all the storm we got, that one hadcthe strongest wind gusts :/ Large tree branches everywhere today.

hateradio

Gah. This thread is more dead than SJ . . .

So, after living here for two months, I have to say that it's boring af. Most of that is because I have like no friends.

Save me gaf! Give me tips on how to spend my time before I die of boredom. 😖

If anyone says hiking, I will literally throw myself from the SF bridge! 🌉

GamerJM

Banned

So, after living here for two months, I have to say that it's boring af. Most of that is because I have like no friends.

meet me irl so you can double the have-no-friends boredom

simplayer

Biking?

Badminton is pretty fun, lots of clubs.

Finding friends will probably be your best bet though 😋

hateradio

Biking?

Badminton is pretty fun, lots of clubs.

Finding friends will probably be your best bet though 😋
Biking is tantamount to hiking. I will not have it, sir!

Yeah, but making friends is hard for an antisocial person. 😭

I work at an office, in an office. I don't really talk to my coworkers. Everything is so quiet here. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

meet me irl so you can double the have-no-friends boredom
So we would meet, but remain friendless? I guess, we can agree to ghost each other. 👻

Tom Nook

H-Mart finally opened in San Jose. May expand to SF in a few years.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/05/new-asian-market-opens-plans-san-jose-expansion/

Went there over the weekend, it's OK. It was hard to find parking, I parked near the residential area in front of someone's home. LOL

The place is nice - similar like the Mitsuwa Marketplace. They hand out lot's samples like how Costco did. The food court is small with 3 restaurants (Japanese, Chinese, and Korea foods). I bought the seafood pancake. I'll come back and try out the other restaurants.

So we would meet, but remain friendless? I guess, we can agree to ghost each other. 👻

Can I join in on this? I totally agree that the southbay is just dead af. If you aren't into something local it can be a monumental task in making friends. One of which I've had difficulty with since I moved here 10 years ago and it's only getting harder as the community changes.

The only things I ever see anyone do together is cycling around here which is not for me right now.

H Mart is interesting and it has made it impossible to drive in and get a coffee at 85....

Looking forward to the other stores to open so it can spread the load of customers.

Got to hang out at the San Jose DLPC today (dmv license-only center). Funnnn.

Stupid CA, I've only been driving in Canada for 16 years but I have to start with a permit here... need someone 18 or older in the car with me to drive lol.

~_~

does anyone else in this thread even live anywhere other than SJ? feel like that's all anyone talks about

or "I'm moving to SJ help me find a place"

hateradio

does anyone else in this thread even live anywhere other than SJ? feel like that's all anyone talks about

Maybe because the rest of us can't afford anywhere else or are moving for a job there?

Can I join in on this? I totally agree that the southbay is just dead af. If you aren't into something local it can be a monumental task in making friends. One of which I've had difficulty with since I moved here 10 years ago and it's only getting harder as the community changes.

The only things I ever see anyone do together is cycling around here which is not for me right now.

H Mart is interesting and it has made it impossible to drive in and get a coffee at 85....

Looking forward to the other stores to open so it can spread the load of customers.
I don't think I can make it 10 years. 😐

When was the last time there was a Bay-GAF meetup? (There are dozens of us!)

Boy the last one I remember was more than a year ago so maybe two years or so. I know some folks used to get together on their own from time to time.

I'm always down for an excuse to leave the house.

AcridMeat

Banned
Some of the people I used to organize with moved away, some got super busy. It's also just difficult with how spread out we are.

North bay brah, pass through the city daily for work.

I'd absolutely love to do a Richmond/Sunset meet up for a change.

Wait till you see the Jony Ive Target that is being remodeled in cupertino...

I've lived a block away from Infinity loop for 10 years and I thought it was bad a few years ago, but this is too much.

Valco/Main St. is a disaster that I wish was cleaned up because Cupertino needs a place for some nightlife/shopping.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
...and Cupertino voted "no" on revitalizing Valco :/ I don't get the other negatives in the area, seems fine whenever I'm in the area, but the abandoned mall stinks.

Top Bottom